Juan Mata | Official: Signs two-year contract with option of a third

Scotty McT

If this got announced, it would definitely be enough to make me take a step back from this club until the owners are gone.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I can see why we've done it to be fair.

He's the only player we have with an established blog. Who else will apologise to the fans next season when we get outclassed by Brighton again?

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
There must be some sort of coaching progression in that.

Saying that, if previous reports are true, we offered one, he wanted a two year deal and now lands on a three year deal. Its like the spirit of Peter Swales is alive and kicking.

Raw

3 years?! Get to feck! I was okay with 1 year but 3 is too much. Unless we plan on selling him?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
By the looks of it, we're sitting on the Titanic deck. The top players are leaving or they want to leave, the captain is clueless, the CEO is clueless and we're struggling to attract new top talent. After what we did with Jones I won't be surprised if we keep Mata for a ridiculously long time.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
3 years?

If true he'll be here for his double hip replacement!

Roboc7

3 years surely can’t be true, no need to be any more than 1 year.

Ranchero

From Mata to everyone, is a bit of leap isn't it? We have 4 players who are out of contract in the summer; Mata, Herrera, Darmian and Valencia.

We arguably need to sign players in their respective positions already. We can do without renewing their services.
I think you'll find it was irony.

flappyjay

Wow with contracts ending you would have thought thats the chance to let go of some deadwood but no. Rojo's deal was as big a mistake as this one if it's true.

Zlatattack

If this is true this is the 4th stupid contract extension, following Jones, RoJo and Young

Big Andy

Bloke
3 years?

If true he'll be here for his double hip replacement!
He's only 31 ffs, he's hardly a fecking geriatric...he'd be 34 when his 3 year contract runs out...again, hardly old as feck for someone like Mata...

Played as a 10, he's one of our best passers of the ball, especially if/when Pogba goes, and his pace isn't an issue is it?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
That would make it twice in the space of 12 months we break policy. The last guy left aftwr six months.
I don't believe it.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
He's only 31 ffs, he's hardly a fecking geriatric...he'd be 34 when his 3 year contract runs out...again, hardly old as feck for someone like Mata...

Played as a 10, he's one of our best passers of the ball, especially if/when Pogba goes, and his pace isn't an issue is it?
Have you seen the poor fecker try to run in the last 2 years? I think he needs new hips already!

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Just want to remind everyone that's shocked about the length in this thread, that 31 year olds don't get signed on a 1 year deals in professional football unless they're a journeyman fringe player fighting to play football.

A 1 year contract was never on the table. 3 years was the expected term, it's Matas last "long" term jobsecurity contract

UnitedObsession99

Only way this makes sense is if we plan on moving to a 4-1-2-1-2, otherwise known as 4-4-2 diamond.

The AM role is one that doesn't require a great deal of pace. It's also where Mata's best position is. Good AM's also cost a fortune. Keeping him could be a guidance to Gomes.

Where Fernandes would then fit in is a question, as his best position is probably also in the AM role or at the very least the most attacking of a midfield 3!

If we don't get a highly mobile DM we would seriously struggle to make this work.

With the 4-4-2 diamond I'm concerned we lack natural wingbacks. Dalot can do it, but would need solid CB's to make up for his defence frailties. Shaw would need to up his attacking game.

A front 2 of Rashford and Martial could be very interesting to save over relying on Rashford.

I can see the potential here, but the diamond didn't exactly work well for us last year.

AshRK

The state of this club, they are not even good in clearing out the shit.

Noc-Z

ffs
If this is true this is the 4th stupid contract extension, following Jones, RoJo and Young
Hard not to feel really negative about things eh?
Mata (3yrs!???) Jones, Rojo and Young contracts extended.
At least 10 players we really should be getting rid of. But no sign of any takers. Who would want to take on Sanchez now?
1 player signed so far...who will probably be a prospect rather than a first team solution.
While Madrid have wrapped up deals for Hazard, Jovic, Militao, Mendy and Rodrygo!
Look at City they let Kompany go as we dish out contract extenions to the deadwood.
We really need to see some positive moves in the market sometime soon!!!

Zlatattack

The state of this club, they are not even good in clearing out the shit.
They literally had to do nothing and he'd have left. He's certainly not the worst player at the club, but his top 3 attributes whilst at the club include being intelligent and a nice guy, which says it all.

Based Adnan

Kompany plays well and gets several crucial goals as City win the title -> Gets binned as they couldn't agree on contract length

Mata does nothing of note bar a free kick vs Juventus in a season we under perform and finish 6th -> Gets rewarded with a 3 year deal

And then we wonder why we are falling behind so much. fecking jokers running this club.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
l-o-l can’t believe it.

Or, of course I can because this is what we do, but still. The mind boggles.

Zoo

AS said last night it's for one more year which am fine with. We need him for the squad and may even get an indian summer out of him with Ole's new focus on fitness.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Apparently this club likes saving money. Fecking hell.

I Am Zlatan

Don’t mind this too much, since we have to replace about 4-5 first team players this summer

RedTechsture

Supports
Shrewsbury Town FC
I dont think I have as much of an issue with Mata as the consensus seems to have, but even I have to say 3 years is not a good endictment of the summer ahead.
We have thread upon thread on here of transfer thoughts, and clear out options and so on, and this just stinks of us vindicating ourselves on the same threads where when asked to predict next years first XI post transfer season we joked/predicted DDG, Young, Jones, Lindelof, Shaw, Fred, McTom, Pogba, Mata, Rashford, Martial :/

I would have happily kept him on for a year but this is now clear that the board has lost all touch of reality and common sense. With his age what happened to the one year rolling contracts etc? Why THREE years?

Thinks its fair to say we can kiss goodbye to the summer that we hoped for.

Reddy Rederson

Honestly, I have no idea why Mata would want to stay here. We dont play to his strengths, we force him into positions hes really not suited for and the fans poke at him constantly for it. Hed have been better returning to ML europe where his talents would be used properly. Imo, hes wasted the best years of his career here. Hes done nothing like he did at chelsea and thats on the mangers that refuse to play him where he can do the most good. A real shame.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He's not one of the starting players. Why not just give his minutes to Gomes? What harm would that do?

Fracture90

I mean Herrera was so much valuable for this team, yet Mata is getting a 3 year deal with probably some increase in wages.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I dont think I have as much of an issue with Mata as the consensus seems to have, but even I have to say 3 years is not a good endictment of the summer ahead.
We have thread upon thread on here of transfer thoughts, and clear out options and so on, and this just stinks of us vindicating ourselves on the same threads where when asked to predict next years first XI post transfer season we joked/predicted DDG, Young, Jones, Lindelof, Shaw, Fred, McTom, Pogba, Mata, Rashford, Martial :/

I would have happily kept him on for a year but this is now clear that the board has lost all touch of reality and common sense. With his age what happened to the one year rolling contracts etc? Why THREE years?

Thinks its fair to say we can kiss goodbye to the summer that we hoped for.
1 year.

Born2Lose

Waste of a squad place at this point, unfortunately I suspected the "misunderstood genius" crowd were completely wrong as usual and no decent team would want him even for free.

Honestly, I have no idea why Mata would want to stay here. We dont play to his strengths, we force him into positions hes really not suited for and the fans poke at him constantly for it. Hed have been better returning to ML europe where his talents would be used properly. Imo, hes wasted the best years of his career here. Hes done nothing like he did at chelsea and thats on the mangers that refuse to play him where he can do the most good. A real shame.
Shame you don't own a football club, we could sign Mata on a free and sell him to you for £15m.