Jude Bellingham | Borussia Dortmund player...

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He wouldn't be playing for our first XI had we signed him so no point getting upset we didn't sign him.
We could have signed him and loaned him straight out. He’d walk onto half the PL teams best XI (and ours, ahead of McT, if we’re honest) It’s not the end of the world but it is disappointing. Our habit of missing out on so many targets since Gill left is depressing.

Having said that, we can’t blame him for his decision. Or Haaland for his. Dortmund seems to be the perfect club for teenagers to cut their teeth. Bet he’s enjoying the shit out of tonight anyway. Must make his decision seem vindicated.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I think he would have got a fair bit of game time, especially with the injuries Pogba had.
I am not too sure of his role at Dortmund, but given his offensive contribution, he might be a more appropriate Pogba back-up than Van de Beek in United's system.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I don't think he would've got consistent game time here. From his perspective, he made the right move. I also believe, if Dortmund or Leipzig had Hannibal Mejbri, they'd be playing him in their first 11 regularly aswell.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Hes too good not to have gotten a lot of minutes here had we signed him.

Classical Mechanic

I am not too sure of his role at Dortmund, but given his offensive contribution, he might be a more appropriate Pogba back-up than Van de Beek in United's system.
He’s fairly complete as a midfielder so in theory so can play any role. Dortmund played him as a 10 at the weekend and he scored. He was more of an 8 tonight but can play in a double pivot too as he’s strong defensively. Birmingham played him on the wings and as a striker last season. I think he would have got a fair amount of game time for us. He’s only just started becoming a regular for Dortmund.

sp_107

I was bitter when he ditched us but if we see it from player perspective I think it was a good move for him...Less pressure and more game time ! Right place to develop as a player i think

RooneyLegend

Another one we’re going to have to pay big money for rather than signing as a youth player... But looks like the pogba replacement in a few years
Once they hit Dortmund, they are simply too expensive. Rather focus on Gravenberch who's just as good and most importantly as talented.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I said last summer that this potential signing excites me more than the other players who were being linked to us. But sadly it wasn't to be. But credit to our scouts who sold the idea to the club to pursue him.

Last edited:

dbs235

He wasn't like this when he first started there, took awhile to find his feet.
I think these 2 games have done his reputation a world of good. Playing against City is basically an audtion 1) to Southgate and 2) to PL fans/clubs.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It was reported last year by journos close to Birmingham City and United, that Bellingham was concerned he wasn't gonna get consistent playing time at United after having talks with the club and first team manager. So joining Dortmund was the only logical choice due to their business model.

Stacks

Based on this form he does easily but I guess whether he'd of got the opportunity to begin with is another thing

I said it last week though this is our long term Pogba replacement
its easy to get carried away. I haven't watched him much yet. His whoscored rating is 6.75. Is it possible that we are merely overreacting to a few live games we have seen but this does not represent his entire season?

Classical Mechanic

its easy to get carried away. I haven't watched him much yet. His whoscored rating is 6.75. Is it possible that we are merely overreacting to a few live games we have seen but this does not represent his entire season?
He's played a lot as a sub so the rating on whoscored is not the best indicator. That said he still has a whole lot to learn and is still very much a rookie with a lot of flaws to iron out.

I think he's a good bet as any to progress and improve. Aside from his ability, he's so highly rated because of his character, professionalism and attitude. It's a big reason that he's been playing senior football since the age of 16. You can never be certain but it seems unlikely that he'll stop working on his game or go off the rails.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He's 17 so you expect inconsistency, he's only scored his first league and UCL goals in his last 2 games and Dortmund have been struggling all season so may be a case he's only finding his form right now but that being said in these games against City you can see why we wanted him and why it's going to sting financially to try and bring him here in a couple of years time

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
In a few years to come this guy is going to be an absolute germ of a football player, the way he opened up his body for that goal against city is pure class, I'm sure Dortmund would risen clubs when it's time to let him go, if he continues his development they'll be demanding another 100m fee, it's why i was gutted we didn't do enough to sign him when we had a chance.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
In a few years to come this guy is going to be an absolute germ of a football player, the way he opened up his body for that goal against city is pure class, I'm sure Dortmund would risen clubs when it's time to let him go, if he continues his development they'll be demanding another 100m fee, it's why i was gutted we didn't do enough to sign him when we had a chance.
Bit harsh. I know that SAF once said that he wouldn’t sell Madrid a virus but come on...

GBBQ

He wasn't like this when he first started there, took awhile to find his feet.
And this is the issue, its not that we wouldn't give game time to a 17 year old if he deserved it (we've trusted in youth more than most PL teams) its that if he didn't hit the ground running he'd be benched and looking for scraps to prove himself, a la VDB.

Dortmund is an ideal team for young players with potential to mature into top class players.

flappyjay

I think it was @GledTheRed who was saying they are failing to make champions league because they insisted on playing Bellingham in every game? Apologies if it’s not you. He's easily looked their best player in both City games though. Operation Sancho 2.0 in the next few years.
They have been suffering from injuries. For instance Sancho has missed their last 7-8 matches. In the city games I noticed that witsel, thorgan Hazard and Brandt didn't play.

AFC NimbleThumb

Anyone else only just found out he’s 17 as half of fecking social media seem to have been wanting to tell me for the past few weeks!

Top talent but feck me.

GledTheRed

I think it was @GledTheRed who was saying they are failing to make champions league because they insisted on playing Bellingham in every game? Apologies if it’s not you. He's easily looked their best player in both City games though. Operation Sancho 2.0 in the next few years.
I said that it won't help promising a 17 year old starts in their pursuit. He's a talent alright but he's very much learning on the job at the moment and would not have been afforded that with us. Look like BVB are delivering their promise so fair play, no CL though by the looks of it and have gone backwards as a team.

dinostar77

Apparently BILD paper in germany saying that we've dropped our interest in Sancho and Bellingham is the Dortmund player we want this summer.

marktan

Apparently BILD paper in germany saying that we've dropped our interest in Sancho and Bellingham is the Dortmund player we want this summer.
Doubt it, he's not a player that fills any need for us. He's good but he's rated higher because he's 17 and might improve more. At his current level he wouldn't play over either Fred or Mctominay.

The United

Doubt it, he's not a player that fills any need for us. He's good but he's rated higher because he's 17 and might improve more. At his current level he wouldn't play over either Fred or Mctominay.
He is the CM type that we need though. And, if he keeps improving, he will be a starter for us next season (if we get him, of course). United seems to want to keep Greenwood and Amad on the right and we know that the CM will need to be fixed this year or next year.

Not that I mind more of them this season.

marktan

He is the CM type that we need though. And, if he keeps improving, he will be a starter for us next season (if we get him, of course). United seems to want to keep Greenwood and Amad on the right and we know that the CM will need to be fixed this year or next year.

Not that I mind more of them this season.
He plays as a box to box with average defending, slightly above-average attacking. His level for a 17 year old is very high but he would not stand out at all in our midfield. If we sign players we need top players or players very close to making the jump, not players whose peak will be in 5 years, that to only with regular game time. Dortmund is a good place for him for another 2-3 years at lest.

Litch

Always thought great as a 17 year, but what about just being great anyway? It's not a linear line that because you are good at 17, you'll be good at 22...

The United

He plays as a box to box with average defending, slightly above-average attacking. His level for a 17 year old is very high but he would not stand out at all in our midfield. If we sign players we need top players or players very close to making the jump, not players whose peak will be in 5 years, that to only with regular game time. Dortmund is a good place for him for another 2-3 years at lest.
So basically, he can play in McTominay's position. He does not need to be at peak to play for us. If his next season level is better than what we have, he will play. I do think that he is close to that now.

There is no way to say that any CM at peak will come and maintain his level in our team. Especially, we tend to have that issue in the past few years.

RooneyLegend

He'd obviously start for us but he isn't the sort of midfielder I'd like us to spend big money on.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
BILD is a pretty dubious source. I think it'll be a few years before we regain interest in Bellingham, we were willing to pay 10s of millions for him before he moved to Dortmund, the price we'd be quoted now could likely end up over 100m.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
Bellingham is an incredible talent, and there is no doubt he will transfer to an English topclub for an incredible fee, but this summer is not the year. He is in the right place developing at Dortmund.

redrobed

Chased the money by choosing Dortmund over us. Think we should make him wait now. Give it a few years and make him take a pay cut to join us.