Jude Bellingham | Borussia Dortmund player...

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Chased the money by choosing Dortmund over us. Think we should make him wait now. Give it a few years and make him take a pay cut to join us.
Chased the money? Do you have any evidence for that? Cause it sounds completely contradictory to what I thought happened...

Last edited:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He is the long term replacement for Fred which we dont really need right this moment IMO.

We need different variations of deeper players; creative ones and/or pure ball winning CDM'S

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Chased the money by choosing Dortmund over us. Think we should make him wait now. Give it a few years and make him take a pay cut to join us.
He joined them because they offered him playing time and he was right to accept. He will rightly get a large pay rise when he moves on next.

Hoboman

Chased what money? We’d have offered more.
He made the right decision and money probably was not the main reason for him to choose BVB over United, but The Atletic reported that Dortmund proposed around £2,7 m, which was more than we were ready to pay him at that time.

redNATION

Our natural Pogba replacement i think. Annoying that Dortmund have three players, Haaland, Sancho and Bellingham, that would fit straight into our team, and two of those they actually signed ahead of us when we looked head of the queue :mad:

Looks like we'll be paying through the nose for two of those at least.

TheReligion

Abusive
Our natural Pogba replacement i think. Annoying that Dortmund have three players, Haaland, Sancho and Bellingham, that would fit straight into our team, and two of those they actually signed ahead of us when we looked head of the queue :mad:

I don't think he's anything like Pogba

Lentwood

This is the profile of player we should be signing. It doesn’t matter if we add one a year at £80m or whatever...you’ll get your payback on it ten-fold. It’s the SAF model. Sign and develop the best young players in the game.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Chased the money? Do you have any evidence for that? Cause it sounds completely contradictory than I what thought happened...
When Dortmund signed Haaland and Bellingham the British press reported that, despite having roughly half the total wage bill, they paid wages that United could not or did not want to afford.

Judas

Open to offers
I do think Dortmund will have offered good wages because they know they'll only need to pay them for a couple of years and its worth it for the big chunk of change they'll get in the end. But to say he went there for money is so stupidly blind, and comes across like a bitter teenager.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I do think Dortmund will have offered good wages because they know they'll only need to pay them for a couple of years and its worth it for the big chunk of change they'll get in the end. But to say he went there for money is so stupidly blind, and comes across like a bitter teenager.
It's not only that, but Dortmund saw him as someone who would and should play a lot and were willing to play him accordingly. It's no surprise that someone in/near the first team of Dortmund earns more than someone at the fringe of the squad at United. So obviously more money and more playing time was a better offer for Bellingham (with the only downside of not being part of a PL team - it's not that he would not be playing in the PL, as he would likely not have done much of that at United).

Judas

Open to offers
It's not only that, but Dortmund saw him as someone who would and should play a lot and were willing to play him accordingly. It's no surprise that someone in/near the first team of Dortmund earns more than someone at the fringe of the squad at United. So obviously more money and more playing time was a better offer for Bellingham (with the only downside of not being part of a PL team - it's not that he would not be playing in the PL, as he would likely not have done much of that at United).
Oh 100% for his development it was by far the best option. And I'm glad he took it honestly, he'll become a much better player because of it.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
From a squad perspective, this would make much more sense for United than Sancho, IMO. But I doubt Dortmund will let him leave anytime soon.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He is the long term replacement for Fred which we dont really need right this moment IMO.

We need different variations of deeper players; creative ones and/or pure ball winning CDM'S
Fred often plays as the deepest lying midfielder. No chance that's Bellingham.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Fred often plays as the deepest lying midfielder. No chance that's Bellingham.
Yeah but I see him as a box to box that is made to play as our deepest man which is a bit wrong; especially when we buy some more pure CDM soon to replace Matic.

I dont see how we can keep Fred, Mctomminay and Bellingham all in the same squad - they are kind of the similar type of player but in different variations.

I expect us to have a new ball winning CDM (maybe Rice), Garner as maybe a deep lying playmaker, Mctomminay as a box to box defensive player and Bellingham one day replacing Fred as our box to box slightly attacking player.

Last edited:

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
From a squad perspective, this would make much more sense for United than Sancho, IMO. But I doubt Dortmund will let him leave anytime soon.
Certainly not this summer.
I wouldn't be surprised if he extends his contract soon, either.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
He's not ready for a full prem season yet, as good as he was in patches against City he lost the ball quite a bit in the second game and we passed the ball around him quite easily.

2-3 years time he'll be some player but at there moment he's nowhere near the level required for a top 4 team.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

One, he’s nothing like Pogba. Secondly, the conditions around which Haaland was signed were totally unacceptable to us. Perfect for Dortmund who sell players in anyway. Last, Sancho went there ages ago from City when we weren’t in for him anyway. He’s become a good player over the last season but it’s taken time

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
While I don't think we'll end up with Bellingham any time soon I think its positive that the recruitment department is trying to fix our midfield.

We would be so much better if we could transition the ball fast through the thirds. Since Carrick's twilight years we haven't had anyone capable of playing the ball through the lines from deep. I don't see Bellingham as that. However, he can carry the ball at good pace and his passing is a lot cleaner than Fred or McTominay's. Having seen a Javi Martinez and Bastian Schweinsteiger double pivot do a treble I'm open to the idea there's more than one way to skin a cat.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Even from Bellingham’s perspective there’s no reason to leave anyway.

marktan

So basically, he can play in McTominay's position. He does not need to be at peak to play for us. If his next season level is better than what we have, he will play. I do think that he is close to that now.

There is no way to say that any CM at peak will come and maintain his level in our team. Especially, we tend to have that issue in the past few years.
He's nowhere near Mctominay currently imo. He's better at passing, but Mctominay is far better defensively, carries the ball better, and is a goal threat.

Bellingham right now is on the level of someone like Xhaka or Elneny, he's just hyped because he's 17 and English. He doesn't excel at anything.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
He arguably would've got more here and been close to home.

How many people would move to a foreign country at 17? Not that many, he's done it though and is thriving.

Judas

Open to offers
I don't think we would have paid him daft money at such a young age, it would have set a dangerous precedent when we love having these youth type players. Suddenly you've got Hannibal and Elanga, Shoretire all wanting silly wages.

MDFC Manager

Whenever I hear of this guy I am reminded of Birmingham and their hilarious shirt retirement shenanigans.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Dortmund probably offered him first team wages and a lot of first team games... in his position I think I'd have made the same decision
I was majorly annoyed about this even more than Haaland. The fact he was English and we offered less than a club that was clearly going to play him every week and he was going to end up costing us 100 million instead of a few million extra in wages if he made it… it just doesn’t make financial sense to keep paying Dortmund to develop these players. Once they are going to cost 100 million let them off. I’m not calling Ole out but his use of Hannibal and Amad this year would be a red flag to me if I was 17/18 and United wanted me and were telling me I was going into the first team.

Brightonian

He's nowhere near Mctominay currently imo. He's better at passing, but Mctominay is far better defensively, carries the ball better, and is a goal threat.

Bellingham right now is on the level of someone like Xhaka or Elneny, he's just hyped because he's 17 and English. He doesn't excel at anything.
Yep, this. Impressive for his age but not otherwise special, right now. Of course he will only get better and better, but currently he wouldn't unseat either of our CMs.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Dortmund probably offered him first team wages and a lot of first team games... in his position I think I'd have made the same decision
Well, yeah, that is exactly what he was bought for. Thats why Dortmund payed a bit more than 20 Mil. € in fees and both the club and Bellingham himself clearly communicated from the start that the expectation for him was to be a core part of the first team squad from the get go and not some high potential talent being developed carefully and slowly in the background. He was brought in as realisitc competition for the starting midfield and his wages reflect that. The reported annual 3 Mil.€ are absolutely not unusual for a regular starter at Borussia Dortmund, they are acutally slightly on the lower end in that bracket of their wage structure. If you take a step away from his age and just view his current perfomance level and skillset his standing is completely justified.

Borussia Dortmund and Manchester United simply viewed Jude Bellingham differently (and some comments in this thread actually reflect on that). For Dortmund he an immeadiate core part of the first team, who just happened to be really young, while United viewed him as a future prospect, albeit a highly rated one. That probably tipped the scales in Dortmunds favour.

keithsingleton

Gutted when missed out on him when he choose Dortmund over us. Kid you now if there's anyone young player I could pick it's him. The lad imho is going to go all the way. A mere 17 years young too.

Nero

He'll be a United player in 2 or 3 years, no worries. He'll remember the interest we showed in him previously, inviting him and his dad to Carrington, meeting some legends.

He made a mature decision based on his career development. His next move will be to United.

simplyared

Wow what a talent! Should start the next England game. Play him instead of Rice. Cannot believe he's only 17 yrs
Freak youngster! Wayne Rooney springs to mind.

Last edited:

Xeno

He'll be a United player in 2 or 3 years, no worries. He'll remember the interest we showed in him previously, inviting him and his dad to Carrington, meeting some legends.

He made a mature decision based on his career development. His next move will be to United.
Thought I was on some kinky af Reddit fanfiction page rather than the cafe.