Jude Bellingham | Real Madrid player

Sylar

I have no ide what they are complaining about? He blew whistle and Madrid scored few seconds after. It is not like ball was going into the goal. Valencia and some Madrid players already stopped playing.

Had Premier League referees done their job correctly like this guy we wouldn't have a goal in 99 minute when we should play 98. We wouldn't have referee giving ball to a team which shouldn't have.
Case in point @amolbhatia50k

8 is minimum not maximum.

Abizzz

This isn't basketball. Joke of a ref with a horrible decision. Hope he never gets an international gig ever. That face afterwards, so punchable.

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
The smile on that Valencia players face after chatting to the ref is great :lol:

Almost as great as all the Madrid players losing their shit. Entitled wankers.
Top tier shithousery, just a shame Ramos wasn't there to be outraged by it.

Honestly, don't see the fuss. Ref blew the whistle long after the minimum added time and when he felt the game should be called...doesn't matter where the ball is at that time!

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

Honestly, don't see the fuss. Ref blew the whistle long after the minimum added time and when he felt the game should be called...doesn't matter where the ball is at that time!
So you would have been fine if the ref blew during Núñez winner yesterday?

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Why the meltdown? I just watched the clip and it looks like he blew before the cross came in? Sure, bit of an odd way to end it but I’ve seen refs many times not even give attacking teams the benefit of getting the corner taken in the first place.

That being said, I’m posting this just by watching a short clip. I have no idea how many minutes of extra time was given versus how many was already played when he whistled.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid

It seems nobody here understands why the game went on so long, it is because ref took ages to decide a penalty, so he was kinda the one responsible for time being wasted in the first place.

So, it makes perfect sense for the game to go on longer than the time added.

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
So you would have been fine if the ref blew during Núñez winner yesterday?
Of course not, I'd be absolutely livid, isn't that just the hypocrisy of all fans? A small part of me would probably realise though that as 'unfair' as it was, it was within the rules of the game...technically!

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
It seems nobody here understands why the game went on so long, it is because ref took ages to decide a penalty, so he was kinda the one responsible for time being wasted in the first place.

I didn't realise that to be honest.

Hammondo

Why the meltdown? I just watched the clip and it looks like he blew before the cross came in? Sure, bit of an odd way to end it but I’ve seen refs many times not even give attacking teams the benefit of getting the corner taken in the first place.

That being said, I’m posting this just by watching a short clip. I have no idea how many minutes of extra time was given versus how many was already played when he whistled.
Seems fine to me also. The defenders might have defended the goal without the whistle also, outrage over nothing.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Watching the video it's not as bad as it gets told. He blows when a hopeful cross is initiated. He's hardly stopped a marvelous chance from happening. Every reason to think defenders stopped tried at the whistle as well.

It's poorly timed, should have whistled a second earlier, but it's not as if he whistled just before Bellingham made contact.

Sylar

Thanks, finally somebody gives the context for the added time on top.
From what I read on X the var review took either two or three minutes.
So in that case he didn't even replace that lost time like he should have and blew "early" (although you could probably confirm)

Marvin look out

The VAR check during added time took roughly 2 minutes. It was fair to go until 90+9. People who haven't watched the game can't know it.

If the referee blows the whistle when the ball is cleared, there is no controversy. He hesitated but didn't when he saw Madrid still had the ball, only to blow right when Brahim is crossing.

It's the timing that is completely off. I don't recall ever seeing anything like that.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
The VAR check during added time took roughly 2 minutes. It was fair to go until 90+9. People who haven't watched the game can't know it.

If the referee blows the whistle when the ball is cleared, there is no controversy. He hesitated but didn't when he saw Madrid still had the ball, only to blow right when Brahim is crossing.

It's the timing that is completely off. I don't recall ever seeing anything like that.
Look who it is again

Woodzy

The ref has fecked up there.

Watching it again though, a lost of Valencia players stop actually defending when they hear the whistle.

90 + 5min

Case in point @amolbhatia50k

8 is minimum not maximum.
When it doesn't happen anything in 8 minutes there shouldn't be more stoppage time like it was in Liverpool game. You don't give one or more minutes just for fun. When it comes to Valencia - Real Madrid, ref did good job.

Sylar

When it doesn't happen anything in 8 minutes there shouldn't be more stoppage time like it was in Liverpool game. You don't give one or more minutes just for fun. When it comes to Valencia - Real Madrid, ref did good job.
This makes no sense at all.

8 minutes were given as minimum.
And within those 8 minutes, as has been said above , 2 minutes within that time were for a VAR review.
So blowing 1.40 after the 8 makes no sense at all.

Jericho

There is a video in which the referee hurries to whistle when he sees that there is going to be a cross.
He could have whistled after the corner or in the seconds before the cross. He whistles when an offensive action starts. Imagine, extra time and a player runs alone without oposition, dribbles the goalkeeper and at that moment the referee decides the end.
It is not a goal, clearly the whistle is earlier but it is certainly not usual, it reflects a bad refereeing.
I understand the frustration. But ultimately the time is up when the time is up. We shouldn't expect people to blow it up a little later or a little earlier to appease anyone.

GledTheRed

Valancia players laughing and even the commentators are laughing.

It's hilariously bad refereeing.
Why is it hilariously bad? Should the ref just play till Madrids attack is over? The whistle clearly went and gobshite would not have scored as the Valencia defenrsers had stopped.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It's not a mistake. It's just simply horrific game management. The red card to Bellingham is worse - sending him off for saying "it's a fecking goal", it's on the act -

Would be very surprised if the red doesn't get rescinded(there is precedent with something similar with Greenwood this season) and if Gil Manzano will ref another game this season

Expected it to be much worse judging on the reactions, he’s already playing overtime, allows Madrid to take their corner, not sure why he should be allowing them another attacking moment.
Yes, in the heat of the moment I get the frustration but making out like it’s some horrendously unfair unprecedented decision is incredibly over the top.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Expected it to be much worse judging on the reactions, he’s already playing overtime, allows Madrid to take their corner, not sure why he should be allowing them another attacking moment.
Yes, in the heat of the moment I get the frustration but making out like it’s some horrendously unfair unprecedented decision is incredibly over the top.
Because there was a 2 minute VAR break in extra time.

Because there was a 2 minute VAR break in extra time.
But we don’t have a stop clock in football, despite most of us thinking a shorter game and a stop clock would be a better idea than the ”pluck a number out of your arse” that we see today.

Almost every single week we have events in injury time that don’t get added exactly or even close to reality to the clock. I think it’s daft to expect it just because it’s Real Madrid playing and on an attack.
If he added 1:45 & you’re saying it should have been 15 seconds longer, well, you’re demanding a level of accuracy with injury time that we’ve never seen in over a fecking century man. A feck tonne of refs every week would’ve blown up before even the corner.

He’s likely informed his assistant he’ll be adding a minimum of one minute for the VAR stoppage, plays out 1:30, likely thinks about blowing when they get a corner but then think’s he’ll allow the corner and blow, but the ball moves way and he then thinks “feck me I can’t let them have another go when we’re already way over time”.

There’s a simple solution, take the clock away from the ref. Signal a fecking buzzer when time is over, doesn’t matter if someone is crossing a ball or through on goal, if time is done, it’s done.

Last edited:

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
But we don’t have a stop clock in football, despite most of us thinking a shorter game and a stop clock would be a better idea than the ”pluck a number out of your arse” that we see today.

Almost every single week we have events in injury time that don’t get added exactly or even close to reality to the clock. I think it’s daft to expect it just because it’s Real Madrid playing and on an attack.
If he added 1:45 & you’re saying it should have been 15 seconds longer, well, you’re demanding a level of accuracy with injury time that we’ve never seen in over a fecking century man. A feck tonne of refs every week would’ve blown up before even the corner.

He’s likely informed his assistant he’ll be adding a minimum of one minute for the VAR stoppage, plays out 1:30, likely thinks about blowing when they get a corner but then think’s he’ll allow the corner and blow, but the ball moves way and he then thinks “feck me I can’t let them have another go when we’re already way over time”.

There’s a simple solution, take the clock away from the ref. Signal a fecking buzzer when time is over, doesn’t matter if someone is crossing a ball or through on goal, if time is done, it’s done.
I never said that. I only gave you an explanation, why he let them play on after the initial extra time period had expired.

Oranges038

The ball can be in play for minutes, especially between 2 well drilled sides.

Stop clock!
They stop the clock for stoppages in rugby too.

As soon as the clock goes beyond 40mins for ht, you can clear it out and the half is over. After 80mins, if you are winning you can just boot it out of play, and the games over. If you are losing you have to try and keep possession to create a chance from open play.

They stop the clock for stoppages in rugby too.

As soon as the clock goes beyond 40mins for ht, you can clear it out and the half is over. After 80mins, if you are winning you can just boot it out of play, and the games over. If you are losing you have to try and keep possession to create a chance from open play.
Huge hole in this idea though. As you say yourself, rugby has a stop clock and after 80 minutes it’s the first time the ball is sent to touch/killed. Football doesn’t have a stop clock so you’re still leaving an arbitrary amount of time for the referee to decide when the ball has gone out of play, according to the extra time minimum he has added on himself During the minimum extra time already added on by the fourth official.

How many times have managers, teams & fans been left fuming by a referee, allowing play to go on way beyond the allocated injury time only for them to score a goal? It’s much less fair that way.
So much easier to take the decision on timekeeping away from the official on the pitch and make it an automatic buzzer that is not affected by any human emotion. What is happening at the time of the buzzer has zero effect in the decision.

Oranges038

Huge hole in this idea though. As you say yourself, rugby has a stop clock and after 80 minutes it’s the first time the ball is sent to touch/killed. Football doesn’t have a stop clock so you’re still leaving an arbitrary amount of time for the referee to decide when the ball has gone out of play, according to the extra time minimum he has added on himself During the minimum extra time already added on by the fourth official.

How many times have managers, teams & fans been left fuming by a referee, allowing play to go on way beyond the allocated injury time only for them to score a goal? It’s much less fair that way.
So much easier to take the decision on timekeeping away from the official on the pitch and make it an automatic buzzer that is not affected by any human emotion. What is happening at the time of the buzzer has zero effect in the decision.
What if someone is through on goal and the buzzer goes?

For me the best solution is to have the timer like it is for rugby and let play carry on until the ball goes dead. At least everyone knows as soon as it goes out of play the game is over.

What if someone is through on goal and the buzzer goes?
The game is over, it’s the only fair way.

Why should a team get extra time to score if the game has ended? In what fair game does that make sense?

I’d add that I would obviously have a huge clock behind both goals, so that the players can see exactly how much time until the buzzer goes and like in basketball, they can choose to punt a shot from 40 yards even if they’re through on goal if that’s the only time they have.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Watched this live
The ref had just given Madrid a pen
Var took seconds to overturn it
Thought it was fair enough to blow up

if you want to watch a game with bizarre decisions check this second half out
Not really. First 2 are clear mistakes and good use of VAR, third is bad use of VAR. The only weirdness - and the only reason so much was made of it - is that all 3 happened in the same game, in the same half, and the decisions went in favour of the same team

Btw, you watched this live meaning Valencia-Madrid? The penalty was awarded to Valencia mate :lol:

Took 2 and a half minutes

Last edited:

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Meh, what’s done is done. Sucks for us, good for Valencia. Almost got the comeback like against Sevilla a year or two ago.

Jude is fantastic and I hope we keep him in this role. Adds so much all over the pitch.

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
Leaving all the details of this match aside, the thing is that refs usually are more leniant to let the bigger Clubs (ALL OF THEM in every continent) have 80 seconds minutes or better said be more loose about extra time with them, specially when the ball is surronding the rival's area.
If he had never allowed to take the Corner (even if some fans would have thought that 1:40 above the extra time given didn't compensate the 2 minutes VAR), or to the very least blow that whistle with more confidence instead of three repetitive times, one lowder than the next, this mess wouldn't happen.
Yes Madrid would have protest for the seconds not given, more when surrounding the area, but that is the usual stuff in these situations, sometimes they give 30 seconds less, sometimes 30 more.
But milking this stuff to make it "one of the worst decisions ever" for christ sake....nothing is more annoying than Big clubs playing the victims, even when perjudicated from time to time.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
But milking this stuff to make it "one of the worst decisions ever" for christ sake....nothing is more annoying than Big clubs playing the victims, even when perjudicated from time to time.
Yeah the reaction from RM 'influencers' has been hysterical. We're ahead in the league by like 7 points. This isn't going to have an impact on the title race.