g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Julen Lopetegui watch

YouOnlyLiveTwice

When he was appointed as Madrid manager, i thought it was stupid timing.

With LvG it was done way before the WC started, so that he could focus 100% on the national team.

I probably would have sacked him too.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
This will either end in a complete catastrophe or turn out to be a huge success.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
1 day before it begins? Fecking huge they have zero chance now.

Imagine the locker room everybody will be in shock.
Especially if rumors are true that the Captains/senior players (especially the Madrid contingent, who seemed instrumental in having him appointed at RM) supported him.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Why did they need to announce it 2 days before the World Cup? Absolute cretins :lol:

Castia

:lol:

Misses out on a dream in leading Spain at a World Cup and will be sacked at Madrid within the year.....congrats on a monumental feck up.

Madrid strike again....I hope the whole of Spain are ready for a backlash against Madrid, why they didn’t just wait a couple of weeks to make an announcement I’ll never know.

izec

The worst thing they could have done. You have to look at the bigger picture here. Once the damage was done, the answer was not to further ruin it, but to make the best out of it, especially if the squad was behind him. They would have pulled together for a few weeks for the WC. Good luck now

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Watch them still at least make the Semis.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
When he was appointed as Madrid manager, i thought it was stupid timing.

With LvG it was done way before the WC started, so that he could focus 100% on the national team.

I probably would have sacked him too.
The circumstances were different to an extent, Moyes had been gone for ages. Zidane has played a blinder here. Dropped Real into a whole, then destabalised the Spain national team, in the process making Real and Perez even more unpopular, if that is possible.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
For more context, and a better insight on why Rubiales decided to ignore the players and risk throwing away the WC, read up on the Spanish FA and what happened in the last couple years, and how Lopetegui ties into it

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Yes, but it was stupid from him few days back. Its stupid from Spanish FA now
Yeah, I understand that. But it doesn’t change that Lopetegui fecked up by not telling them anything about Real. If it was any other club it would have been a problematisch well, but with Real it’s even worse. To sign for a club where many of your players play, basically because the players wanted you so bad, not tell your boss about it and then have it announced a few days before the competition is just dumb. It’s a potential conflict of interest and should have been dealt with as transparent as possible.

MonkeysMagic

Typical, the day after i pull Spain in the works World Cup sweepstakes. :D

Del Bosque should come back and do them a favour
I feel your pain...finally pulled a decent team in sweep stake at work then this!

Can't see them winning it now, there’ll be too many divisions.

imperi

For more context, and a better insight on why Rubiales decided to ignore the players and risk throwing away the WC, read up on the Spanish FA and what happened in the last couple years, and how Lopetegui ties into it
Could you please elaborate?

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Surely common courtesy would have been to approach the F.A. that they were going to ask their manager to take over at Real.
Since when have Real Madrid operated with common courtesy for anyone? Probably ‘58 is the last time they had any humility

Minimalist

Fair play for having the balls to sack him so soon to the tournament.

Most would have expected they wouldn't risk the head spinning scenario but they've stuck to it.

kentafuji

I feel your pain...finally pulled a decent team in sweep stake at work then this!

Can't see them winning it now, there’ll be too many divisions.
Yeah, I got England at the Euros. Thought this time around I was in with at least a chance. Damn you Spain!

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Could you please elaborate?
Previous Hilariously Obviously Corrupt Supreme Overlord Villar was FINALLY destituted after Spanish authorities managed to nab him for embezzlement IIRC. One of his right hand men, Larrea, took over until the elections and then run in the elections, and lost, against Rubiales. Lopetegui was appointed by Villar and backed Larrea in the elections

This was retaliation, plain and simple. The whole "oh he took a job somewhere else without telling us" is just an excuse. Lopetegui certainly was at fault for the wat he acted, but days before the WC, with your team's captains speaking on behalf of the team telling you they're with the manager....it's obvious this was personal

Smores

Fair play for having the balls to sack him so soon to the tournament.

Most would have expected they wouldn't risk the head spinning scenario but they've stuck to it.
Fair play for a stupid decision?

There was no reason to sack him apart from the Spanish FA feeling bitter. I don't think Madrid or the manager did anything wrong this isn't club football whether he's there after the tournament or not is meaningless.

Minimalist

Fair play for a stupid decision?

There was no reason to sack him apart from the Spanish FA feeling bitter. I don't think Madrid or the manager did anything wrong this isn't club football whether he's there after the tournament or not is meaningless.
We'll see if it is or not, won't we?

They'll probably claim his head is elsewhere (not focused). I certainly agree it's a head-spinning scenario but calling it stupid is ridiculous (you've no idea at this point).

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Surely common courtesy would have been to approach the F.A. that they were going to ask their manager to take over at Real.
I think they were trying to avoid getting the information leaked by limiting the number of people knowing it. But it was leaked anyway so that's why Lopetegui announced it. Not sure whose decision that was, but in any case everything is always magnified with Real Madrid. It's crazy really :D

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Previous Hilariously Obviously Corrupt Supreme Overlord Villar was FINALLY destituted after Spanish authorities managed to nab him for embezzlement IIRC. One of his right hand men, Larrea, took over until the elections and then run in the elections, and lost, against Rubiales. Lopetegui was appointed by Villar and backed Larrea in the elections

This was retaliation, plain and simple. The whole "oh he took a job somewhere else without telling us" is just an excuse. Lopetegui certainly was at fault for the wat he acted, but days before the WC, with your team's captains speaking on behalf of the team telling you they're with the manager....it's obvious this was personal
I watched the press conference and it didn't seem personal at all, he seemed more angry at Madrid and he only had compliments about Lopetegui.

He said he found out Lopetegui was leaving 5 minutes before the official announcement, that's obviously inexcusable.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
This thread is going to end up like the Moyes one:

'Sacked| Relegated| Tarred & Feathered| Linked with Leeds'

imperi

Ah thanks, what a shit show. Do you think Rubiales has enough support to survive this (assuming this will affect Spain their WC)?

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
I think they were trying to avoid getting the information leaked by limiting the number of people knowing it. But it was leaked anyway so that's why Lopetegui announced it. Not sure whose decision that was, but in any case everything is always magnified with Real Madrid. It's crazy really :D
The famous Madrid mole strikes again. At least we know it wasn't Casillas this time around

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Would be interesting to find out who leaked it. I have no doubt Real and Lopetegui didn't want it coming out yet, but they have not exactly covered themselves with glory here.

Afganitia

Supports
Girona

Bollocks. Rubiales himself renovated Lopetegui's contract. If he didn't like it, he would have at least waited after the world cup.

Someone

Something
The timing of the announcement was horrible to be honest, add to that, it was never going to go well with the barca players, so why make such a divisive announcement now?

Also, I don't get why didn't real madrid reach out of the spanish FA to get their permission and align on how to take this forward? I'm sure they'd have been ok with the announcement after the tournament?

It's a huge decision and it could cost spain, but I really think it's the right one.

Canagel

The Spanish Federation are more to blame than Perez and RM. They didn't need to sack him because the damage was already done. Just stick with it and then dismiss when the world cups over. There's no footballing benefit to getting rid now. The team had prepared with him for 2 years and now you're throwing that away. Plus the psychological shock might be too much.