Julian Assange arrested in Ecuadorian Embassy

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Obama should’ve put pressure on Ecuador to let him out a long time ago. This guy should spend the rest of his life in prison. He’s one reason for why we have got the current president. That’s inexcusable!
Yeah no need for the American people to take responsibility at all. If the US president is free to do as be pleases no reason why people like this should be held to account.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Obama should’ve put pressure on Ecuador to let him out a long time ago. This guy should spend the rest of his life in prison. He’s one reason for why we have got the current president. That’s inexcusable!
That's on America not Assange. I don't like the guy. He's a self absorbed narcissist but he exposed serious wrong doing by the US. Ecuador has thrown him under a bus but tbh, he didn't make it easy for them to keep him by constantly communicating with people like Stone.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
If it's the Chelsea stuff, then it's not even going to help anyone's Trump/Russia fixation - she leaked those things herself, and straight to him.

For those asking why he was let go by Ecuador now - it's been some time in coming, but was a prospect the moment Lenin (wrong name huh) Moreno replaced Rafael Correa.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
So has he been living in that embassy for 7 years? Did he ever leave? Do they have a garden? How did he get shopping?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

His ex, supposedly:

MuFc_1992

Wasn't he charged by Sweden because he couldn't be directly extradited from UK on US charges?

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
It sets an incredibly bad precedent if he is extradited to the US for simply leaking stuff. I really don't get all the hate he's getting and it just makes it look like propaganda from US govt. worked in shaping public opinion against him. There is no way any one is leaking anything after this which I assume was the motive behind this whole ordeal.

It makes no sense to go through all this trouble to simply charge him for breach of bail conditions. Unless he's extradited to the US, they've simply dragged him out to his freedom.
If leaking sensitive information is a crime in the US, it doesn't set any kind of precedent because extradition to face criminal charges in the US already happens. It's just on this occasion you deem the crime harmless.

Public opinion on any person who sexually assaulted a woman and then used fear of US extradition to run into hiding is bound to be quite low. He did 95% of this stuff to himself.

MuFc_1992

If leaking sensitive information is a crime in the US, it doesn't set any kind of precedent because extradition to face criminal charges in the US already happens. It's just on this occasion you deem the crime harmless.

Public opinion on any person who sexually assaulted a woman and then used fear of US extradition to run into hiding is bound to be quite low. He did 95% of this stuff to himself.
The initial tape he leaked and is now being charged for is the tape of use military shooting innocent civilians. You have to be a bit nuanced here instead of simply saying he commited a crime so should be charged. Yes, US may deem that to be criminal but why is UK spending so much time and resource into extraditing an Australian for commiting espionage against USA.
Also, He was charged with sexual assault because he didn't wear a condom and the circumstances surrounding the case are suspicious to say the least.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
The initial tape he leaked and is now being charged for is the tape of use military shooting innocent civilians. You have to be a bit nuanced here instead of simply saying he commited a crime so should be charged. Yes, US may deem that to be criminal but why is UK spending so much time and resource into extraditing an Australian for commiting espionage against USA.
Also, He was charged with sexual assault because he didn't wear a condom and the circumstances surrounding the case are suspicious to say the least.
It's worth noting that publishing a leak is an entirely separate act to the leaking of it. If this were not so the Washington Post would have acted illegally when it published the Pentagon Papers. As far as I know the only way that they could get Assange specifically for leaking is if they have evidence he assisted or otherwise encouraged the leak itself. Just being the recipient and distributor isn't enough.

Edit: According to the 2018 indictment US authorities do indeed claim to have evidence Assange was in contact with Manning while she was leaking and assisted her in the cracking of a password.

Last edited:

MuFc_1992

It's worth noting that publishing a leak is an entirely separate act to the leaking of it. If this were not so the Washington Post would have acted illegally when it published the Pentagon Papers. As far as I know the only way that they could get Assange specifically for leaking is if they have evidence he assisted or otherwise encouraged the leak itself. Just being the recipient and distributor isn't enough.
I think they've convinced Chelsea Manning to turn on him. Last I heard She was put in prison for not testifying in front of a Grand Jury even though she's already been pardoned. The judge has ordered her to be imprisoned for not cooperating which sounds seedy to say the least.

NinjaFletch

Can someone with a better memory for these things remind me of the precedent set in the UK when it comes to extraditing based on computer hacking charges? I seem to remember high profile cases where the UK courts refused to sanction extradition in similar circumstances, but can't recall the exact specifics.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Sorry but yes, if he committed a crime, he should be charged. There's nothing nuanced about the law.

If the woman reported the sexual assault and felt as though he had sexually assaulted her, whether you deem it a sexual assault or not is irrelevant. If she wanted him to wear a condom and he refused and had sex with her anyway, and Swedish law allows for a conviction in this regard, it's really simple. If someone you like murdered someone you dislike, they shouldn't be exempt from charges of murder just because you like them.

MuFc_1992

Sorry but yes, if he committed a crime, he should be charged. There's nothing nuanced about the law.

If the woman reported the sexual assault and felt as though he had sexually assaulted her, whether you deem it a sexual assault or not is irrelevant. If she wanted him to wear a condom and he refused and had sex with her anyway, and Swedish law allows for a conviction in this regard, it's really simple. If someone you like murdered someone you dislike, they shouldn't be exempt from charges of murder just because you like them.
Would you hold the same opinion about a gay person being stoned to death in Saudi Arabia?

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Can someone with a better memory for these things remind me of the precedent set in the UK when it comes to extraditing based on computer hacking charges? I seem to remember high profile cases where the UK courts refused to sanction extradition in similar circumstances, but can't recall the exact specifics.
Possibly where the alleged hacker was autistic? I seem to remember a case like that.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Was he involved with Putin before his 7-year stay at the embassy? I can understand someone being frustrated with the U.S. if he'd have to stay in one room for years after exposing war crimes and trying to retaliate.

It looks horrible, considering the charges that they're bringing against him. Straight-forward police-regime move. Although perhaps he did something bad over the last few years, as I said, I'm not really in the loop.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me

The decisions on how to apply laws and to whom can be authoritarian. In the real world, people with power make decisions all the time on these matters and shockingly, they arent all applied equally.