Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
We're really not. If you look at us over the whole season then for the most part we've not conceded many chances on goal and have looked fairly solid. Today exposed how frail we are when injuries occur. Matip has been key and Lucas simply isn't up to scratch. I'm not sure Karius is much better than Mignolet either.

I have said it before and I'll say it again, we won't win the league. Champions win that game.
Still to early to decide about league prospects. We lost to Hull in December '13 and then went on to very nearly win the title.

The team need to learn from that second half, much like they learnt from the loss to Burnley.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
It's the nature if the defeat.
We showed a soft underbelly, but there were still plenty of positives to take from the first half.

Karius does not look any better than Mignolet, though (and maybe worse). Terrible keeping today.

JSArsenal

We were going to lose sooner or later - that's the nature of football. No need for the childish reaction some of our fans are having.
It isn't the fact that you lost, it was the manner of the defeat.

If it was a 1-0 defeat where Bournemouth parked the bus, sure opposition fans would laugh but that would be the end of it. A 4-3 defeat, after being 3-1 up with 20 minutes to go is a different story

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Cringey but beautiful title :)

nore1975

Supports
Liverpool
Extremely disappointing result for us against Bournemouth. A two goal lead should never be squandered like we did. I hope Klopp tears them apart in private. He was very dignified after the match and for the club that's the right thing to do publically. But he has got to realise that Bournemouth are a poor side and for his side to collapse like that is unacceptable. I do accept though that he has improved us as a team and being quite shrewd in the transfer market. Defence has to be sorted out if we have serious aspirations of winning the league. A good team does not let a two goal lead slip twice.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
We showed a soft underbelly, but there were still plenty of positives to take from the first half.

Karius does not look any better than Mignolet, though (and maybe worse). Terrible keeping today.
Reminds me of our perfomances against Leicester in 2014 and Everton in 2012.

Mental fragility that you don't want to see when your team is fighting for the title.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Still to early to decide about league prospects. We lost to Hull in December '13 and then went on to very nearly win the title.

The team need to learn from that second half, much like they learnt from the loss to Burnley.
Given Chelsea's next 5 games I think there's a good chance that they will be some way ahead of the chasing pack come January.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Reminds me of our perfomances against Leicester in 2014 and Everton in 2012.

Mental fragility that you don't want to see when your team is fighting for the title.
It's one game. In general, we've managed situations like today quite well this season.

Given Chelsea's next 5 games I think there's a good chance that they will be some way ahead of the chasing pack come January.
Perhaps. But the title is not won in December and things can change very quickly - just look at where Chelsea were a couple of months back. There are no easy games in the PL.

Hemil

Supports
Chelsea
Do we have a challenger for the PL title this season?

JamesO

Supports
Liverpool
End of the day titles are won by squads. Whilst I'd consider our 1st 11 to be good enough to at least challenge for the title, the backups aren't quite what we require.

It'll take at least next summer I would imagine for Klopp to be totally happy with the squad.

As for today, the signs were there by how we eased off having coasted into a 2-0 lead, and whilst we managed to up it again to get to 3-1 it's a dangerous game to think you can just turn it on at the flick of a button.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
End of the day its just 3 points dropped. My biggest worry with injuries wasn't that we'd concede (we do that anyway). It was an imminent goal drought with Coutinho, Sturridge and Lallana out and Firmino at 60%. Thankfully, we still showed industry and goals spread out among all our players. Lucas won't play (ever) again and Karius will continue to be shit but even he can't continue to be this shit. Ergo we'll score 3 again and the opposition will have to score 4 with us in slightly less charitable mood.

I'll take a 3-2 victory against West Ham right now if offered. Other silver linings out of today: Lallana and Firmino get some much needed match sharpness after being out with injuries and Matip to return. Mane showing he's the danger man now that Coutinho is out and Origi scores in three games out of three. We'll need four out of four next game please.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Said it before, to the protestations of Liverpool fans on here, that their defense will be their undoing. This game just confirms the same. This is not one off either. They will lose or draw other games this season despite scoring 2+ games.

LFC-Fans

Supports
Liverpool
Got over that loss very quickly.

It derailed the Liverpool hype train, stops the "Klopp rejuvenates Anfield" "Klopp will win Liverpool the PL" "Klopps rapid Liverpool transformation"

Kill the media hype, let them talk about Chelsea and Arsenal. Let them think we can't win the league. Let them talk about how incredible Chelsea are, you know those cheesy videos sky make before a game? I want them to make loads for Chelsea. I want Conte to go on MNF and talk about his brilliant transformation. Hype em up.

While thats going on we can look at ourselves in peace and quiet and slowly work on our own game. We have 5/6 games now where nobody will care what happens. If we win, nobody will bat an eye because we lost to Bouremouth and our defence and goalkeeper isnt good enough. If we lose, then its expected because we lost to Bournemouth/ship too many goals/dont have depth.

There'll be loads of analysis on sky about how you cant win the league with a bad defence yada yada yada.

The pressure is completely off us, and on Chelsea now. Lets go away, reflect, and come back stronger. Starting with West Ham. This is our Burnley loss MK2. Onwards and Upwards.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
They will finished 4th or 5th.
Chelsea,City and Arsenal are much better.
If they had to cope with European football they would be mid-table like us.
Injuries are going to pile up fast in Dec and Jan with their style. They are dropping like flies.

wr8_utd

:'(
How are Arsenal or City much better? City have been poor for a while and Arsenal are struggling to put away teams and have had a huge amount of luck. Liverpool have easily been the most impressive team after Chelsea. Top 4 will be easy for them and I think they'll challenge but maybe eventulally lose out for the title.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
How are Arsenal or City much better? City have been poor for a while and Arsenal are struggling to put away teams and have had a huge amount of luck. Liverpool have easily been the most impressive team after Chelsea. Top 4 will be easy for them and I think they'll challenge but maybe eventulally lose out for the title.
They have a good run of form alright. But look at the table. Behind Arsenal and level with City. They arent pulling away from City or Arsenal despite these two being unimpressive for the most part of the season. I don't think Liverpool they will sustain their good form. I don't believe they have the squad. City and Arsenal are likely to improve in the second half of the season.

wr8_utd

:'(
They have a good run of form alright. But look at the table. Behind Arsenal and level with City. They arent pulling away from City or Arsenal despite these two being unimpressive for the most part of the season. I don't think Liverpool they will sustain their good form. I don't believe they have the squad.
I agree their squad might be their biggest issue but so far they've been very impressive. City are where they are because of how good their start was and Arsenal are hanging on in there.

Ban

How long of on unbeaten run was it till today?
It was fun but they can still get back from it and are still close to the top.

It is good to know their defense can still let them down.

Loon

:lol:
Yeah, can't beat gurning at the interviewer like a drunken tramp after getting stuffed by Bournemouth.
I haven't seen the interview, but this has painted the picture vividly in my mind. I shall remember this comment when I watch him on TV from this point on.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
The recipe really seems to be that if you can weather the storm as soon as you have a go at them they will crumble and concede.

Both City and Liverpool appear to have similar issues. As soon as a team gets over the intimidation factor they're incredibly fragile at the back when tested.

Rafateria

Said it before, to the protestations of Liverpool fans on here, that their defense will be their undoing. This game just confirms the same. This is not one off either. They will lose or draw other games this season despite scoring 2+ games.
The recipe really seems to be that if you can weather the storm as soon as you have a go at them they will crumble and concede.

Both City and Liverpool appear to have similar issues. As soon as a team gets over the intimidation factor they're incredibly fragile at the back when tested.
9 goals conceded in 3 games without Matip.
9 goals conceded in 11 games with Matip.

The worry is we really need Matip, if he's injured (thank God not going to the ACN) then we are far weaker. With him in the team he directs and is calmness personified. I wonder if we would be permitted to clone him.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool

This isn't based on a huge amount of evidence though is it? Apart from Bournemouth today what other examples are you referring to? What the evidence does suggest based on what I've seen is that a) Karius hasn't made a very good start to his Liverpool career and b) we're a far better side defensively with Matip playing.

One positive I've found in all the madness is that we're still the top goalscorers in the league and scored three without Coutinho or Lallana on the pitch. Mane's return has been excellent so far and Origi has 3 in 3 games. Can has also added a few goals to his game which is promising. I don't think there's any concern that we won't score goals without Coutinho.

Knowing that one injury to Matip completely ruins any defensive cohesion is a cause for concern.

Rafateria

How long of on unbeaten run was it till today?
It was fun but they can still get back from it and are still close to the top.

It is good to know their defense can still let them down.
I think that was our first defeat in 15. With 4 potential first team players missing (though 2-3 returning next week). We should have put that game to bed at 3-1, and were 2cms from 4-1.

Tight margins, though still no excuse for folding like that. The players need to take a good look at themselves - no excuse for that lazy, we're home and dry, attitude.

Last edited:

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
9 goals conceded in 3 games without Matip.
9 goals conceded in 11 games with Matip.

The worry is we really need Matip, if he's injured (thank God not going to the ACN) then we are far weaker. With him in the team he directs and is calmness personified. I wonder if we would be permitted to clone him.
I think we need to replace Lovren and find a better partner for Matip, but I think we can probably make do until the summer for that.

Ban

I think that was our first defeat in 15. With 4 potential first team players missing (though 2-3 returning next week). We should have put that game to bed at 3-1, and were 2cms from 4-1. Tight margins, though still no excuse for folding like that. The players need to take a good look at themselves - no excuse for that lazy, we're home and dry, attitude.
Yeah. One defeat doesn't mean nothing but the way you lost, players should be ashamed.
How was Lovren today?

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
I'm starting to warm to Klopp. Seeing his post-match interview made me a bit jealous I won't lie.

VanGaalEra

One thing that was a bit alarming from a Liverpool perspective, is that the bench looked extremely weak today.

There's not much squad depth to cope with 3/4 injuries.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah. One defeat doesn't mean nothing but the way you lost, players should be ashamed.
How was Lovren today?
I thought he had a poor game. He's not an organiser like Matip is and despite vastly improving in the last year, he's still not good enough and has games like today.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Extremely disappointing result for us against Bournemouth. A two goal lead should never be squandered like we did. I hope Klopp tears them apart in private. He was very dignified after the match and for the club that's the right thing to do publically. But he has got to realise that Bournemouth are a poor side and for his side to collapse like that is unacceptable. I do accept though that he has improved us as a team and being quite shrewd in the transfer market. Defence has to be sorted out if we have serious aspirations of winning the league. A good team does not let a two goal lead slip twice.
Bournemouth are exactly the kind of side that will do well against a Klopp team. They're open. 9 times out of 10 that game finishes a Liverpool win though.

I love how Klopp sees football. Every now and again he's on the wrong end of a performance like this but I think that's the price you pay for being an open and expansive side.

I wouldn't worry too much.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
One thing that was a bit alarming from a Liverpool perspective, is that the bench looked extremely weak today.

There's not much squad depth to cope with 3/4 injuries.
I think we're better now than we were in 13/14 in terms of depth when everyone's fit, but the squad size was reduced due to not having European football. It's a gamble you have to make I guess. Hopefully we don't have many more injuries like Coutinho's because I don't think we'd cope well over a month or two. If we lost Matip to a long injury it would have the potential to derail our season.