Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
For a few years now I've noticed people on the internet say "Liverpool just need X and Y and they'll be challenging "next year" etc.

The reality is they need to hold on to the the likes of Salah, Mane AND Coutinho whilst bringing in two defenders, a goal keeper, another midfielder and a striker.

Ain't happening.
A defender and another midfielder would be a strong step,whilst keeping hold of what we got.

Danny Roberts

For a few years now I've noticed people on the internet say "Liverpool just need X and Y and they'll be challenging "next year" etc.

The reality is they need to hold on to the the likes of Salah, Mane AND Coutinho whilst bringing in two defenders, a goal keeper, another midfielder and a striker.

Ain't happening.
Yup, agreed. If they could keep the four attacking players AND add another 3 top players in the right positions they'd be in with a shot but hard to see it.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
How is losing Coutinho and signing Keita along with another CB going to help them beat West Brom at home?
Maybe it won't, but they didn't beat them with Coutinho either. Adding Auba now, that should

If they lose Coutinho and replace him with only the keita+lallana duo, they might lose something in attack but should improve the defence. If they add Auba as well, their attack might be even better. They'd have to tweak things a bit

Rafateria

Liverpool became the first team in English top-flight history to have won four consecutive away games by a margin of at least three goals.

Four were converted against Bournemouth, but that number could've quite easily been doubled.
Five of them were celebrated at Brighton & Hove Albion, with Sadio Mane — Liverpool’s reigning Player of the Season — kept in reserve, as was the case on Sunday.
Jurgen Klopp thrice fist-pumped at Stoke City, as Philippe Coutinho and Mohamed Salah started on the bench.
And he could rejoice at London Stadium too, where the Reds - sans Coutinho - stuck four past West Ham.

These are the kind of fixtures that undid Liverpool in the previous campaign — the 4-3 defeat away to Bournemouth most haunting — but the Merseysiders have now lost only one of their last 23 league matches against teams outside the 'big six'.

It is not just about the goals scored, but that they have stopped going in with regularity at the other end. Klopp's charges have not conceded a single effort from open play in the last six games in all competitions, with just two controversial penalties breaching the defence.
Post the self-inflicted humbling at Tottenham, Liverpool's nine top-flight fixtures have seen them punish opponents 24 times, while only letting in four goals.

Djemba-Djemba

Liverpool became the first team in English top-flight history to have won four consecutive away games by a margin of at least three goals.

Four were converted against Bournemouth, but that number could've quite easily been doubled.
Five of them were celebrated at Brighton & Hove Albion, with Sadio Mane — Liverpool’s reigning Player of the Season — kept in reserve, as was the case on Sunday.
Jurgen Klopp thrice fist-pumped at Stoke City, as Philippe Coutinho and Mohamed Salah started on the bench.
And he could rejoice at London Stadium too, where the Reds - sans Coutinho - stuck four past West Ham.

These are the kind of fixtures that undid Liverpool in the previous campaign — the 4-3 defeat away to Bournemouth most haunting — but the Merseysiders have now lost only one of their last 23 league matches against teams outside the 'big six'.

It is not just about the goals scored, but that they have stopped going in with regularity at the other end. Klopp's charges have not conceded a single effort from open play in the last six games in all competitions, with just two controversial penalties breaching the defence.
Post the self-inflicted humbling at Tottenham, Liverpool's nine top-flight fixtures have seen them punish opponents 24 times, while only letting in four goals.
Surely it's silly draws that have cost you this season though? How many of those 23 have Liverpool dropped points in, even if they haven't lost.

You've lost less league games than us for example but are 7 points behind Utd. Poor draws at home to Everton and Burnley and West Brom etc.

MemphisDepay

Supports
Rangers and Celtic
There was a question on The Chase today and the answer was Jurgen Klopp. I’ll let you all decide what the question was. The other choices were José Mourinho and Mark Hughes.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
There can be no complaints about our league form since spurs.

Still, no one in Europe has dropped points from a winning position over the past two years more than us. Roller coasting teams masks this but it remains an issue waiting to happen. Mignolet, Lovren and moreno will see to that.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool haven't conceded a goal from open play in our last six games, and only 2 from open play in our last 9 PL games. We've also kept the same amount of clean sheets this season as Man City & Chelsea - one more than Spurs.

The foundations of a good defence are there, despite the murmurs of all the 'oh it's the system' self proclaimed experts. Investing in defence and replacing the likes of Henderson, Lovren, Mignolet etc with a stronger spine is the next step.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It's not the system, it's the players within the system. Liverpool's system isn't all that different from Spurs and City's when it comes to defending, they just make more mistakes because the players are worse. Lack of discipline and focus are the biggest factors, which is why it's much worse away, where they play with less intensity which allows for more opportunities for mistakes(and the opponents play with more courage, which is just as big)

Then there's also the inability to control games from winning positions and weak mentality overall. Half the players are one mistake short of a complete meltdown at any given moment away from Anfield

Inter Yer Nan

They have kind of low key gone on a good little run. I didn't realize their run was that good with regards to clean sheets. What I think is their biggest problem is mentality. They are bottlers and I think Klopp is too. If there's a huge pressure to get results they will fail more often than not or not see out an important game but when they are playing catch-up and the stakes aren't quite so high they can be devastating.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
I genuinely think Klopp is the best manager in the world at making attacking players shine.

Mane was considered a decent player when he joined Liverpool but overpriced at 30m. Salah was considered a decent player too but by no means world class. Under Klopp, Mane looked world class last season and Salah has looked world class this season. Their value has gone up from 30-40m to +100m in one season, and that's not just because of inflation.

Klopp even made Błaszczykowski look great.

Rafateria

Surely it's silly draws that have cost you this season though? How many of those 23 have Liverpool dropped points in, even if they haven't lost.

You've lost less league games than us for example but are 7 points behind Utd. Poor draws at home to Everton and Burnley and West Brom etc.
Yes it is. Draws have cost us, just look at our home PL record. However we do seem to be improving and the players acknowledge that Klopp made changes to the defensive system after the Spurs debacle. It remains to be seen if it continues to be effective but clearly it has been so far. To a degree I'd say we were just unlucky against Everton and WBA in recent matches, in both games we had more than enough chances to win (and had Mane not had a total brainfart against Everton we could have gone on to win that by a cricket score). We need to be just that little bit more efficient.

Peanut Butter

Question for you Liverpool fans.

If you were offered a top 4 finish every season so for the next 5-6 years but with no silverware, would you take it?

Danny Roberts

I genuinely think Klopp is the best manager in the world at making attacking players shine.

Mane was considered a decent player when he joined Liverpool but overpriced at 30m. Salah was considered a decent player too but by no means world class. Under Klopp, Mane looked world class last season and Salah has looked world class this season. Their value has gone up from 30-40m to +100m in one season, and that's not just because of inflation.

If he's the best manager in the world at making attacking players shine how bad must he be at the rest of the game if Liverpool are 7 points behind us?

5red

Supports
Liverpool
Question for you Liverpool fans.

If you were offered a top 4 finish every season so for the next 5-6 years but with no silverware, would you take it?
Abolutely not, surely football is about competing for and winning trophies, I hate this top 4 obsession, its a mentality that detracts from what football should be about.

coventry red

Supports
Liverpool
Colour me unconvinced. I think you're massively downplaying his importance to the team. He knits everything together and basically runs midfield on his own given the lack of quality elsewhere there. Salah doesn't operate in a vacuum either.
He's started half his appearances as one of the front three though?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Agree with majority of this except 100 plus Million.

Klopp's attacking coaching is very good and it shows in the way they attack in numbers.

Rafateria

He's started half his appearances as one of the front three though?
Actually, very interestingly, his highest rated performances (as rated on Who Scored) have all come as forward left (ave. 8.99, 3 goals and 4 assists) or left midfield (one match, 10.0, 3 goals), compared to centre midfield (ave. 7.96, 8 goals and 3 assists). Of course Who Scored's ratings often seem a bit strange to me.

Rafateria

Keita is going to slot right into the PL and never get injured or suspended right?

When do you lot play City in the league again?
That's really neither here nor there. Can you say the same re. Pogba ? He's clearly improved United.

Liverpool vs City 14th January. Can't wait !

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Keita isn't replacing an important player .. he'll be one of the CMs thereby replacing one of Hendo/Can/Wijnaldum.
The tone of the last few pages was Liverpool starting next season without Coutinho and with Keita which is very likely. My point is you cant assume Keita will hit the ground running and even if he does I dont see it compensating for losing Coutinho

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Keita is going to slot right into the PL and never get injured or suspended right?
Let's not sign any players then. There will be games they won't improve us.

We aren't actually drawing every game 3-3 either.

Rafateria

The tone of the last few pages was Liverpool starting next season without Coutinho and with Keita which is very likely. My point is you cant assume Keita will hit the ground running and even if he does I dont see it compensating for losing Coutinho
It's obviously impossible to assume any player will continue to perform at their current level next season .. however we all make assumptions based on the players they are today. So in Keita's case he will surely improve on some of the crap in our current MF lineup, that's not a stretch. I also see 2 transfer windows between now and having to replace Coutinho. I expect a replacement for Sturridge (Aubameyang perhaps), at least one CB and at least one other CM. We currently have 6 high quality players for the front 4, the loss of Coutinho is not critical in that regard (as in being short of players) and bringing in a striker (such as Aubameyang or Texeira) would be the effective replacement since Sturridge is virtually irrelevant now (Klopp seems to prefer Solanke) and isn't one of those six.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Let's not sign any players then. There will be games they won't improve us.

We aren't actually drawing every game 3-3 either.
No my point was dont put all your eggs in the Keita basket. He will fill a need if he performs but if Coutinho goes he wont be enough imo You need to either hold on to Phil or replace like for like.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
If he's the best manager in the world at making attacking players shine how bad must he be at the rest of the game if Liverpool are 7 points behind us?
Liverpool have worse players than United in most positions. If you read any combined XI thread the majority of people will agree. Apart from the attacking players, barely any Liverpool players make a combined United-Liverpool eleven.

Danny Roberts

Liverpool have worse players than United in most positions. If you read any combined XI thread the majority of people will agree. Apart from the attacking players, barely any Liverpool players make a combined United-Liverpool eleven.
What's your point? On two levels this doesn't make much sense because a) Klopp has had long enough to buy the players he wants and b) if he's merited with coaching attacking brilliance then the emphasis is less on the players and more on the coaching.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
No my point was dont put all your eggs in the Keita basket. He will fill a need if he performs but if Coutinho goes he wont be enough imo You need to either hold on to Phil or replace like for like.
Nno they don't, they just need to improve the team overall

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Absolutely. And add at least one proper centreback to that as well. This would be the very minimum bar to clear in the summer to avoid an absolute shambles.

mav_9me

Losing Coutinho and not suitably replacing him is improving the team?
They do not need to replace like for like, I assume is his point.

For example if they get Aubameyang, they would have gone from Sturridge/Coutinho/Mane/Firminho/Lallana to Aubameyang/Salah/Mane/Firminho/Lallana which is definitely improved. Now add Keita to their midfield. Good improvements there. Enough for cementing top 4. But for a genuine title challenge they still need a proper DM, proper CB and GK. They could get away without a new GK but they would have to ride a wave like Suarez's goals.

Rafateria

Losing Coutinho and not suitably replacing him is improving the team?
Where is this 'like for like' replacement ? And as has been pointed out .. replacing doesn't necessarily mean with a 'like-for-like' and neither does it necessarily mean the team will be weakened by going down another route. For me Auba, Mane, Salah, Firmino is just as strong .. maybe even more so.

Last edited: