Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Whatever you and the other clever ones who replied to my post think.

It's been a great season for them by any standard and anyone who isn't blinded by tribal hate can see that. But you can still go 'Lalala, can't hear you and lolz@dippers' if it makes you lot feel better, mind.
Serious question, how old are you?

m1tch

Salah and Mane will go now either this summer or next. And they should. This Liverpool has gone as far as it can go.
This will be the 'interesting' thing with Klopp, does he keep the pair of them for another year and give it their best shot at winning the league / CL again, knowing deep down that even then they're normally second best still. Or does he start the rebuilding process with the Salah funds which could see them challenge again in 2 years time.
They've been exceptionally good/fortunate in the transfer market under Klopp, hopefully they make the wrong calls this time!

lex talionis

Incredibly frustrating for Liverpool fans...pipped by City by one point and pipped by Real by one goal. No quad this season, but they did give it a proper go.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Incredibly frustrating for Liverpool fans...pipped by City by one point and pipped by Real by one goal. No quad this season, but they did give it a proper go.
Always so bravely almost winning things. :(

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Very few clubs win their domestic league and the CL at the same time. For me that is a basic requirement of a truly elite level manager, hence you're looking at:

A handful or two of managers who have done it once, and off the top of my head I can only think of Fergie, Pep and and Jose who've done it twice (I'm sure there are some pre-90s who I can't pluck out of the air sadly).

Pushing for it isn't enough. Football history outside of Liverpool FC won't remember it.
That's a take I can understand even if I don't necessarily agree with it.

For me, the standards set nowadays to win at least the double (PL/CL) in english league are downright absurd (in a good way) and don't allow any kind of slip-up or you're swiftly out of the race. Even if they didn't win everything, they've been up to the race until the very last minutes of every competition they were in. You might be right, but I personally don't think that history will dismiss what they've achieved this season even if they ultimately failed to win tonight what was on paper well within their reach.

crossy1686

career ending
It’s easy to almost win stuff. United were top of the table longer than Liverpool were this season. The pressures off when you’re chasing, no body expected them to chase down City. They came into 3 finals this season as the favourites and bottled each one with a shit performance and 0 goals. If you want to win trophies consistently you can’t keep pretending you’re the underdog

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Whatever you and the other clever ones who replied to my post think.

It's been a great season for them by any standard and anyone who isn't blinded by tribal hate can see that. But you can still go 'Lalala, can't hear you and lolz@dippers' if it makes you lot feel better, mind.
“the best season I’ve seen of any club”

Real just steamrolled to a league title and won the CL by eliminating PSG, Chelsea, City and Liverpool.

And you have the audacity to say that a team that neither won the league nor CL had the best season ever. Didn’t win a single game against top 4. Didn’t score in 3 finals (330 minutes). The route to the CL final was Porto, Atletico and Villarreal.

That is apparently your “best season ever by any club”. Pure and utter delusion.

Why are you even pretending to be a Leicester fan? The actual fans of that club have a far bigger claim in the “best season of any club” discussion than anything Liverpool managed to achieve this season.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
“the best season I’ve seen of any club”

Real just steamrolled to a league title and won the CL by eliminating PSG, Chelsea, City and Liverpool.

And you have the audacity to say that a team that neither won the league nor CL had the best season ever. Didn’t win a single game against top 4. Didn’t score in 3 finals (330 minutes). The route to the CL final was Porto, Atletico and Villarreal.

That is apparently your “best season ever by any club”. Pure and utter delusion.

Why are you even pretending to be a Leicester fans? The actual fans of that club have a far bigger claim in the “best season of any club” discussion than anything Liverpool managed to achieve this season.
'One of the best seasons I've ever seen', not the best. It's written in my original post isn't it? And no, I'm not a Liverpool fan in disguise. I just happen to support my club without the need of taking a dump on my club's rivals at every single turn, especially when mine is country miles away from their level.

Djemba-Djemba

'One of the best seasons I've ever seen', not the best. It's written in my original post isn't it? And no, I'm not a Liverpool fan in disguise. I just happen to support my club without the need of taking a dump on my club's rivals at every single turn, especially when mine is country miles away from their level.
Do Leicester even have any rivals?

InfiniteBoredom

That's a take I can understand even if I don't necessarily agree with it.

For me, the standards set nowadays to win at least the double (PL/CL) in english league are downright absurd (in a good way) and don't allow any kind of slip-up or you're swiftly out of the race. Even if they didn't win everything, they've been up to the race until the very last minutes of every competition they were in. You might be right, but I personally don't think that history will dismiss what they've achieved this season even if they ultimately failed to win tonight what was on paper well within their reach.
5 years from now nobody but the Scousers will bleat on about ‘but we almost won the quadruple’.

There are second bests who are remembered like Crujff’s Holland or Puskas’s Hungary, but in this day and age attention is too fleeting for Pool to leave a mark as best losers in the collective psyche of football fans.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Trent is a accident waiting to happen, Real targeted him all night long.
His defensive lapses aren't as common as some make out. He gives us too much offensively for me to really care anyway.
Rivalry and banter aside i don't think you were that far away; it's a very impressive squad. The lack of goals in three cup finals, two of which could have just as easily gone to Chelsea should be a concern and as I said in another thread, sometimes it seems that if you can hold strong after the inevitable early Liverpool onslaught good teams can have a chance at beating them.

Be interesting to see if Mane and Salah move along soon and who you replace them with.
I think we'll get another year out of Salah. Mane's gone imo and will be the big one who needs replacing.

Woodzy

Best players ageing and potentially wanting to leave, morale down after missing out on the two big trophies, let’s hope this is the end of their time at the top.

Credit it where it’s due they are still one of the best teams in the world, but it takes a lot to sustain that level and I hope they’ve fecked it now.

Djemba-Djemba

I suppose we'll see how history treats them but in 2009 Utd won the League and the League cup, lost the CL final and were knocked out on pens in the FA Cup semi final. Pretty damn close to a Quad ourselves you could argue.

That 2009 side never gets mentioned in lists of all time great sides or great seasons. So why should this Liverpool side, who ended up winning inferior trophies?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Man Utd have one less point vs the rest of the top 6 (Arsenal, Chelsea, City and Spurs) then Liverpool this season

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I suppose we'll see how history treats them but in 2009 Utd won the League and the League cup, lost the CL final and were knocked out on pens in the FA Cup semi final. Pretty damn close to a Quad ourselves you could argue.

That 2009 side never gets mentioned in lists of all time great sides or great seasons. So why should this Liverpool side, who ended up winning inferior trophies?
I completely forgot we won the League Cup in 2009 :nervous: :lol:.

Samid

It’s not written in your post. Are you aware people can go back and read your posts? That’s a thing on the internet. So cut the crap and stop lying.

Djemba-Djemba

I completely forgot we won the League Cup in 2009 :nervous: :lol:.
See exactly?

That 2009 side was almost as close to the Quad as this Liverpool side and it's been pretty much completely forgotten about. And they actually won one of the big trophies.

So the idea a side that won the FA Cup and League Cup via penalties in both finals, has had one of the greatest ever seasons is madness.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Very similar to our 2007 - 2012. 3 CL finals and 1 win. Ours was far superior domestically though.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
This will be the 'interesting' thing with Klopp, does he keep the pair of them for another year and give it their best shot at winning the league / CL again, knowing deep down that even then they're normally second best still. Or does he start the rebuilding process with the Salah funds which could see them challenge again in 2 years time.
They've been exceptionally good/fortunate in the transfer market under Klopp, hopefully they make the wrong calls this time!
There is no Salah funds. He is leaving for free next year. Mane would leave and unless Gnabry is coming other way, 30m isn't going to fetch a ready made replacement.

dbs235

Feels like Madrid's name was on the trophy to be honest. They should have gone out vs PSG and Chelsea and the comeback vs City was nothing short of a miracle. Neither team did much in the final but Madrid were always going to make one of their attacks count. And as for the league, he's the only manager that can really come close to pushing Pep all the way at the moment. With the uncertainty around Salah and Mane and Haaland joining City even that might come to an end.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Got his subs wrong today.
Thought he did what he could on that. Diaz was always going to be the one taken off and Thiago wasn't 100% fit. Jota, Keita and Firmino were always going to be the ones brought on.

We were done by around 85 minutes though. We needed to score in the first half.

BerryBerryShrew

5 years from now nobody but the Scousers will bleat on about ‘but we almost won the quadruple’.

There are second bests who are remembered like Crujff’s Holland or Puskas’s Hungary, but in this day and age attention is too fleeting for Pool to leave a mark as best losers in the collective psyche of football fans.
Holland and Hungary (and Brazil '82) are remembered primarily for their incredible football as opposed to them being close to winning.

Somehow I don't think Liverpool's method of bumrushing the 6 yard box while TAA lumps in hopeful crosses will be eulogised over 50 years from now.

Hell, even their teams which actually won trophies back in the 80's are barely remembered and even considered an embarrassment to English football due to their unsportsmanlike abuse of backpassing.

Bwuk

Thought he did what he could on that. Diaz was always going to be the one taken off and Thiago wasn't 100% fit. Jota, Keita and Firmino were always going to be the ones brought on.

We were done by around 85 minutes though. We needed to score in the first half.
Don’t agree. Diaz shouldn’t have came off. Firmino should have came on for Thiago.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Very similar to our 2007 - 2012. 3 CL finals and 1 win. Ours was far superior domestically though.
The one win was against a fellow English side and the two losses were against the same Spanish side, too.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Don’t agree. Diaz shouldn’t have came off. Firmino should have came on for Thiago.
To me it looked like Carvajal was handling Diaz fine and we clearly needed more numbers in the box. Jota can pop up with something. Probably right about Firmino for Thiago but Keita's pretty good normally when it comes to passing forward.

Samid

See exactly?

That 2009 side was almost as close to the Quad as this Liverpool side and it's been pretty much completely forgotten about. And they actually won one of the big trophies.

So the idea a side that won the FA Cup and League Cup via penalties in both finals, has had one of the greatest ever seasons is madness.
Actually hope everyone associated with that club buys the “one of the greatest seasons ever” hype. That would mark the end of their 3-4 year purple patch.

galwayfa

10 months ago, you have 4 models living with you, 1 is OK looking, nice smile and all, 1 has nice smile and has a great personality, other 2 are unbelievable obviously not at same value, you have 10 months, and you got the bottom 2, only 4 in it,

Wonder if Pool will have a BVB style collapse next season, losing the title on the last day of the season and now this. It will take alot to comeback mentally.

Last edited: