Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Yes you are right he walked, I forgot. He was under big pressure at the time because they were so bad.
Can see him walking again if this form carries on. Don’t see how this improves and even next season they’ll struggle to attract the players they want.

Can see him walking again if this form carries on. Don’t see how this improves and even next season they’ll struggle to attract the players they want.
It would be bad for Liverpool if he did as I think he's still the best manager in the world. Hard to see how he recovers this though.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
He wasn't sacked at Dortmund and he wasn't forced out. He made his resignation public after they had already steadied the ship and he finished the season inside the EL ranks (not a bad finish, considering the team hit rock bottom halfway through the season) and reaching the cup final. After so many years with largely the same squad things had gotten stale and it was either him leaving or the club breaking up an otherwise pretty good squad for the sake of changing things up and giving new impulses. At the time him resigning was the logical option, because the alternative wasn't feasible for Dortmund economically.

It's pretty much the same situation at Liverpool, isn't it? They added players here and there, but the core of the team has played under him for many years, they had their success together and maybe it got a bit harder to motivate themselves for the daily grind - playing the same football, for the same club, under the same coach with the same team mates and they don't have the money to just make big transfers for the sake of creating a new itch.

Unlike at Dortmund most of their (former) top performers are around 30 now, so if Klopp himself is still motivated I could see them stay with him and try to start another cycle, but getting rid of the old guard.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Of course we should be, and both clubs are getting criticism accordingly. But United have spent a ridiculous amount since Ferguson retired and have very little to show for it.
I think money is a tricky one in football, because how much you spend and how you perform doesn’t parallel as much as it should do. We’ve spent similarly to City over say the last 6 years, but not performed as well because we’ve wasted money and negotiated prices poorly. But we’ve done a lot better than mid table sides because we can outspend them consistently.
Similar to your lot this year, Nunez and Gakpo could both end up good signings in a couple of years but you didn’t need them right now, and probably paid a bit of a premium compared to their current ability.

DJ_21

That’s a different narrative to the one I heard at the time when Van Gaal and Mourinho came in. You were all talking about competing for the league at the beginning of last season under Ole.

Of course we should be, and both clubs are getting criticism accordingly. But United have spent a ridiculous amount since Ferguson retired and have very little to show for it.
Ye we just threw money at the problem but that doesn’t always work. You need an actual manager who coaches players and improves player. We now have a modern manager who is obviously over achieving this season… he’s got into a final and his 3rd in the league in his first season. You’ve had your manager for years and your squad. Although you’ve added a few additions which obviously aren’t working yet. Your biggest problem is the problem we’ve had for years, abandoned the midfield. Signing Casemiro has shown how vital it is to have a midfielder who brings the rest of the team together.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
They’re not that stupid though. They will probably go for another German in Tuchel, depends if his style of play will suit them though… can’t imagine Liverpool playing a back 3 even though Tuchel does sometimes play a back 4. Can’t see them going for pochettino.
I think most managers, including Tuchel are a step down from good Klopp. And there were a lot of circumstances that met together to help Klopp which won’t be there for his predecessor (a very weak league in 2015 for starters).

Is Tuchel someone who can drag a whole club up and make all the signings look like master strokes? He’s never done that. In fact, he’s always been a nightmare with new signings. He lost his job at Dortmund over wanting Oliver Torres and after winning the CL at Chelsea he went in for Romelu (FFS).

I’m not that sure he’d be all that following Klopp, even if Klopp looks done right now.

LordSpud

Currently 5/1 on being the next PL manager sacked. How the times have changed

The Neville wears Prada

I think Klopp will stick until the end of the season, then walk referencing that he has 'taken them as far as he can'.

What people fail to see is how appalling, imbalanced and (and old) their squad is. Whoever comes in next will struggle badly. Love to see it!

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
They’re not that stupid though. They will probably go for another German in Tuchel, depends if his style of play will suit them though… can’t imagine Liverpool playing a back 3 even though Tuchel does sometimes play a back 4. Can’t see them going for pochettino.
Can people please stop pretending that Tuchel is married to a back 3/5. just because he deemed that setup the best fit for his Chelsea side?

It's clearly not true:
https://www.transfermarkt.com/thoma...=&verein_id=&liga=&wettbewerb_id=&trainer_id=

crossy1686

career ending
Why would the board, who largely don't give a feck, go out and hire a guy who goes to war with every board he works under because he wants new signings? They might as well go for Conte as well.

It's Gerrard, Frank or Pochettino next.

OrcaFat

He's unsackable in my view, just like SAF was. The job he's done at Liverpool is absolutely outstanding and there are no better managers out there for them to get.
I assume this is a little tongue in cheek.

His record is no way comparable to SAF. And if SAF finished, say, 8th in this day and age he might be asked to move upstairs. That’s with 13 league titles and two UCLs.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Isn't this how it has been for all his clubs?
Amazing for a few years, then crash and burn. Considering how good most people thinks he is, it's quite strange that he isn't able to see this himself, and do something about it.

Jev

I assume this is a little tongue in cheek.

His record is no way comparable to SAF. And if SAF finished, say, 8th in this day and age he might be asked to move upstairs. That’s with 13 league titles and two UCLs.
I didn't say anywhere that his record is comparable to SAF, it obviously isn't.

crossy1686

career ending
Isn't this how it has been for all his clubs?
Amazing for a few years, then crash and burn. Considering how good most people thinks he is, it's quite strange that he isn't able to see this himself, and do something about it.
It's weird that he seems to lose the dressing room at some point in every club. Why is that? Fergie never did, Pep doesn't seem to, even some of the big names around Europe never seem to lose their players in this manner.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
It's weird that he seems to lose the dressing room at some point in every club. Why is that? Fergie never did, Pep doesn't seem to, even some of the big names around Europe never seem to lose their players in this manner.
We saw with Guardiola only a couple of weeks ago that he was prepared to publicly throw his team and the City fanbase under the bus when he saw complacency setting in. Sir Alex did the same when standards weren’t being met. Maybe Klopp wants to be everyone’s friend too much. He hasn’t lost the dressing room. The dressing room has lost him.

crossy1686

career ending
We saw with Guardiola only a couple of weeks ago that he was prepared to publicly throw his team and the City fanbase under the bus when he saw complacency setting in. Sir Alex did the same when standards weren’t being met. Maybe Klopp wants to be everyone’s friend too much. He hasn’t lost the dressing room. The dressing room has lost him.
Astute observation this actually, you could be on to something.

crossy1686

career ending
He's an absolute cnut but it would be stupid for them to sack him after his first real bad run.
When do they sack him then? When they're fighting relegation? They tried to bring new players in during January in an attempt to spark some life into the team, that hasn't worked. Now he has to hope whatever he's doing just magically works again between now and the end of the season. He looks totally out of ideas.

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
Theyd be mad to sack him, no chance he goes, hes the best manager the league has had since Fergie, what he did with Liverpool has been incredible but as with all things its impossible to sustain that level of competency within such a highly competitive environment and their cycle is over with that core group of players and team dynamic and unlike Fergie he hasnt been good at refreshing and rebuilding the squad with new players that match but also enhance their style of play.

I think hell walk perhaps at the end of the season or hell give himself one more, depending on the summer and what investment they get, hell have no shortage of suitors, I think he ultimately ends up at Bayern.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
I think Tuchels system could actually work with those fullbacks who'd rather attack than defend.

DJ_21

Why would the board, who largely don't give a feck, go out and hire a guy who goes to war with every board he works under because he wants new signings? They might as well go for Conte as well.

It's Gerrard, Frank or Pochettino next.
That’s a joke isn’t it? Gerrard ruined his chances at villa. Why on earth would they go for frank? Can’t see them getting pochettino either; think he’d jump at the chance but don’t think they’ll go for him. The best shout would be to pay compensation for a manager they want in Europe. Spalletti from Napoli would suit them.

DJ_21

I think Tuchels system could actually work with those fullbacks who'd rather attack than defend.
Could do if they didn’t get so many injuries to their defenders. They’ll have to buy a couple more if they wanted to use a back 3.

DJ_21

crossy1686

career ending
That’s a joke isn’t it? Gerrard ruined his chances at villa. Why on earth would they go for frank? Can’t see them getting pochettino either; think he’d jump at the chance but don’t think they’ll go for him. The best shout would be to pay compensation for a manager they want in Europe. Spalletti from Napoli would suit them.
Because the board hire the next manager, that's why.

They have two options:

1. Go for tried and tested quality manager who will make demands, which will be incredibly expensive. Such as, new midfield, new CB, new forward once they realise Nunez isn't going to cut it. Then you've got the inevitable meltdown that will happen when the manager is told to work within his means and Chelsea/Arsenal/United all invest and improve.

2. Go for a promising or crowd pleasing "I'm just thankful for the opportunity" type manager. The least expensive option and a win win if the manager actually manages to get something out of the team and they make top 4, which is most likely the boards overall goal. This type will be happy to work with what they have because it's better than what they've had previously and they'll take all the flak off the board because they desperately want to keep their job.

cyberman

He's an absolute cnut but it would be stupid for them to sack him after his first real bad run.
It’s their 2nd horrendous season in 3! I know they had injuries to Gomez and VVD back then but that’s their fault when they went into the season with only 3 first choice CBs. Then he weakened the midfield by playing CM at CB that was called out by everybody for 4 months until they played Philips there and vastly improved overnight.
I’d argue out of there seasons it look like they’ve only been excellent in the second half of last season. It’s 1/6th of three league seasons now of pure shitness

LordSpud

I think sacking him now would be the best thing for Liverpool but the worst thing for everyone else. The man is burnt out, devoid of ideas and for someone else to come in now and freshen it all up would be annoying.

Keep him til the summer and assess then.

Robertd0803

Its not though. They were terrible the season after they won the league. Injuries are a part of football and they couldnt simply cope (understandably) with the amount they had and if our game at Old Trafford hadnt been called off I fully believe we would have battered them and they wouldnt have had that late season charge to 3rd or 4th when everyone else was done for the season.

I dont think they will ever outright sack him, if he does go it will be by "mutual agreement" to save face for him and the club itself.

Sky Sports had an article the other day about the amount of people leaving behind the scenes, seems to be having quite the destabilising effect thankfully.