Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

marktan

He looks unwell. Probably needs a good break away from football.

The rebuilding job already is too big for him I think, he only has what 2 years on his contract?

If they were going to rebuild they shouldve started with replacing Ox, Keita, Wjnaldum, instead they signed an equally old Thiago.

Now they have Fabinho and Henderson also to replace also..

Firmino, Salah, Mane..

There's just too many players now, and signing meh talents like Darwin and Gapko isn't helping them. Real has the blue print - you need to be signing young players well in advance of when you need them.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
He looks unwell. Probably needs a good break away from football.

The rebuilding job already is too big for him I think, he only has what 2 years on his contract?

If they were going to rebuild they shouldve started with replacing Ox, Keita, Wjnaldum, instead they signed an equally old Thiago.

Now they have Fabinho and Henderson also to replace also..

Firmino, Salah, Mane..

There's just too many players now, and signing meh talents like Darwin and Gapko isn't helping them. Real has the blue print - you need to be signing young players well in advance of when you need them.
Fergie had the blueprint. Conveyer belt of players -- young prospects/academy; 2nd set of players coming into their peak, and set of experience/old heads.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Think he will stay on until the summer anyway, for some reason Liverpool are not at all that far behind 4th if they win a game or two in hand, so they can salvage that at least.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
As if they let a 2 goal lead slip. Embarrassing defeat at Anfield that.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Why does he insist on wearing that baseball cap? Even the bald managers don’t resort to donning children’s headwear for interviews.

RVN1991

I know this week sound belittling of what they achieved under Klopp but I really do see their current state as simply their luck running out.

Virtually every single transfer worked out perfectly for them, with nearly all of the incomings proving to be absolute bargains. Add to them the sale of Coutinho for that incredible fee, only for him to go off a cliff, like I say, virtually everything transfer wise was perfect. That's really not normal, as you generally see at other clubs. What's more normal is you spend a fortune and 50% of them don't work out, which is essentially what they're experiencing now.

Taking the cheaper option of letting Mane go instead of giving him terms on a similar level to Salah wasn't probably the right call in terms of trying to continue on or close to their previous level. Maybe they just expected things to work out as perfectly as they'd done before.

If Klopp leaves then they get the uncertainty of a new manager with different ideas on players, i.e. can end up costing a fortune. If he stays but needs to replace the players that won't/can't perform for him anymore, then it's likely going to cost a fortune too. Either that or try pulling off a series of masterstrokes in the market again.
Were they though? You can make the case for Robertson and maybe Salah who did come in at 40 million but Alisson wasn't cheap, neither was Van Dijk, Fabinho wasn't some diamond in the rough plucked from obscurity.

I know this is a United forum but calling his success at Liverpool "luck" is outright false. It's an ageing team asked to play a very taxing style of football, not really that big of a mystery why it's not working anymore.

Last edited:

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I am surprised his style of football even worked this long. It's not just the players, I don't even see how more quality player in midfield would improve them when they are bypassing the midfield since forever, they are using the midfield just for defending and ocassional sideway passing.

Hoof the ball as long and wobbly as possible as soon as one of your defenders sees the space in matter of miliseconds, while forwards chase it like terriers seems like their attacking plan for 90% of every game.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Yes needs a break. Should leave at the end of the season really. Along with Pep.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He will end up at Chelsea I reckon.
Nah. I reckon he will go elsewhere for a period before returning to Liverpool as an older and inferior coach when they have spent that period lingering around midtable once again.

InfiniteBoredom

I like him as a person and as a manager, but let’s face it, for all the plaudits he received as one of the best manager in the world, his cup record is really a bit crap. The highlight of his career came against an even bigger bottler (Poch), otherwise the greatest team ever (TM) would only have 1 league and 2 other domestic trophies to show for it, in 7 years.

Now the players seemed to have stop responding, opponents are having a go at them and he’s out of idea himself, it’ll be interesting to see if he does a 7th year Mainz/Dortmund or stick around for a rebuild. Choice might not even be his, anyhow.

LordSpud

Well now FSG has put word out that they arent selling its safe to say there will be no proper rebuild. He's walking away in the summer.

Josh 76

8 years since Klopp has been there.

Liverpool 4 trophies.
Manutd 3 trophies
Leicester 2 trophies

Greatest team ever. Don’t make me fecking laugh.

Herman Toothrot

Fergie had the blueprint. Conveyer belt of players -- young prospects/academy; 2nd set of players coming into their peak, and set of experience/old heads.
That'll be key for Ten Hag. We need a plan for who comes after Casemero and Eriksen. Whether that be working under the crushing budgets of Glazernomics, with a giddy, over-indulgent, all-conquering Qatari high on online adulation, or something in between.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
That'll be key for Ten Hag. We need a plan for who comes after Casemero and Eriksen. Whether that be working under the crushing budgets of Glazernomics, with a giddy, over-indulgent, all-conquering Qatari high on online adulation, or something in between.
Hopefully, ETH will be afforded the luxury of long-term planning then. You can only do the 3-tiered converter belt system if you have stability and the luxury of long-term planning.

That's why I was always shocked that Wenger never employed such a squad re-generation strategy as Fergie. They were the only two managers who were unsackable throughout most of the mid to long-term phases of their respective careers.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Klopp is still a very good manager but he's just in a tough spot at this moment. I hope they sack him soon tough, otherwise he is capable of turning the tide around which I don't want to see happening.
I look forward for Liverpool to start a manager change carousel just like we did post Fergie, it has to happen sooner or later.

Liverpool 4 trophies.
Manutd 3 trophies
Leicester 2 trophies

Not the greatest team ever, but far better than us in this period even if the trophy cabinet does not show it entirely.
We were shit during Klopp era, now maybe it's our time to be good with ETH and for them to be laughable.

RedorDead21

This. Klopp is their SAF and cannot be sacked for one poor season, especially the season right after they were so close to a quad. He’s earned the right to rebuild, but if Liverpool are still a swirling turd by the November a massive burlap sack should be flown over Anfield.
Fergie didn’t start a rebuild 18 months too late

MadMike

Liverpool 4 trophies.
Manutd 3 trophies
Leicester 2 trophies

It's 7 for them if you count the FIFA Club World Cup, the UEFA Supercup and the Charity Shield. And I'm sure they count them.

And to be fair, making a total of completely different things and just pretending that the Champions League and Premier League are the same as a Europa League and League cup makes us look a bit small time. They have been by far the better team these last 8 years. Greatest team ever though? Not remotely fecking close

Djemba-Djemba

The problem for Klopp is he now has to perform another near miracle. They need a total overhaul of their squad.

He had a run of about 8 or 9 transfers in a row all being hugely successful, it was a ludicrous success rate and completely unsustainable. Eventually you'll get some duds, it's inevitable.

So now he has to hope lightning strikes twice and he can make 8 or 9 hugely successful transfers in a row again and I just don't see that happening. He also looks pretty burnt out and tired to me.

Stevondo8

This isn’t just based on last night or anything…but might come across that way.

The guy only has one way of playing and when it’s not working he can’t change it. The team has been struggling all season so you’d think at some point he’d take a more pragmatic approach and grind out a few wins but he’s just playing the same players in the same system and making the same mistakes over and over again. Surely the best manager in the world would recognize it isn’t working and switch things up a bit?

MUFC OK

Once he's gone it's over for them. With FSG around he wont be able to compete so I reckon he walks.

Must feel like a nightmare for them with Utd in the ascendancy simultaneously, they know what is coming.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Crazy how many of their squad are either not good enough, too old, or likely to be replaced in the next 6-12 months (all bolded).

Alisson
Kelleher
Adrian

Gomez
van Dijk

Konate
Tsimikas
Ramsay
Robertson
Matip
Williams
Phillips

TAA - I'd replace him but no way will they get rid of one of their own.

Fabinho - just awful.
Thiago - he's been woeful as well - heralded as the best thing since sliced bread when he left Bayern.
Milner
Keita
AOC
Henderson
Jones

Elliott - I'd replace him but I think they'll persist with him for a good couple of seasons.
Bajcetic - looks decent, but who can tell.
Arthur Melo :lol:

Firmino
Salah - he can probably stick it out until the 24/25 season at least, but don't see him being as useful as previous seasons.
Gakpo
Jota
Nunez
Carvalho

AndySmith1990

This isn’t just based on last night or anything…but might come across that way.

The guy only has one way of playing and when it’s not working he can’t change it. The team has been struggling all season so you’d think at some point he’d take a more pragmatic approach and grind out a few wins but he’s just playing the same players in the same system and making the same mistakes over and over again. Surely the best manager in the world would recognize it isn’t working and switch things up a bit?
Pep is the same. I guess it could be seen as a weakness, but when plan A is so effective (when it works) it's probably difficult to deviate from it

Stevondo8

Pep is the same. I guess it could be seen as a weakness, but when plan A is so effective (when it works) it's probably difficult to deviate from it
Pep is always tweaking something though. Seems to switch between a back 3/4 quite a bit at the moment, changed things around when they didn’t have a proper striker last season by playing fullbacks more in midfield to push other midfielders further forward. The main principles I guess remain throughout, but he does switch things up a bit every now and then.