g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Kai Rooney Signs For United

Teja

3-4 years and he could be playing for our first team. Crazy.
Damn I'm old. I remember the video where Rooney brought him on to the pitch after a game and the whole Stratford end was cheering for him.

next_number_seven

Genetics must have something to do with it but I can't help but think that his normal kickabouts with dad weren't the same as other kids growing up.

"Dad, can we slow it down a bit?!"
"LoI nope." *Does some more amazing skills*
Genetics are at least 50% as a predictor of sporting success.

The rest is training, discipline, dedication, culture, environment etc...

In GAA in Ireland a huge number of top players are sons of top players.

We have a saying "an ounce of breeding is worth a ton of feeding" i.e. genetics are more important than environment.

Dazzmondo

Looking forward to seeing how he does once he reaches our u18s. Would be really cool to see him turn out to be a baller and break into the first team.

Wilt

Get the lad in now ….could hardly be worse than this lot

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
It’s crazy to think that at Kai’s age now, Wayne was playing regular u18 football and was probably the best u18 footballer in the country as well, to boot.

Incredible how monstrous Wayne was as a youth. We’ll probably never see the likes of it again.

next_number_seven

It’s crazy to think that at Kai’s age now, Wayne was playing regular u18 football and was probably the best u18 footballer in the country as well, to boot.

Incredible how monstrous Wayne was as a youth. We’ll probably never see the likes of it again.
At 17 Rooney was one of the best footballers in England if not Europe.

I saw him play for England against Turkey at 17 and he was the best player on the pitch.

Turkey were a strong team back then.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Bear in mind Rooney was practically finished as a player by 29. He was probably probably 4-5 years ahead of his contemporaries at 16 but he could barely cut the mustard at 30.

FujiVice

Bear in mind Rooney was practically finished as a player by 29. He was probably probably 4-5 years ahead of his contemporaries at 16 but he could barely cut the mustard at 30.
Finding out in his retirement years he had gambling, sex addiction and alcohol problems contributed massively to his vast decline. For every injury, he wouldnt do the things a Ronaldo or a Modric would do to get back on the pitch as soon as possible. Hope Kai learns from his Dads mistakes, while at the same time follows his lead in terms of how good he was.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Finding out in his retirement years he had gambling, sex addiction and alcohol problems contributed massively to his vast decline. For every injury, he wouldnt do the things a Ronaldo or a Modric would do to get back on the pitch as soon as possible. Hope Kai learns from his Dads mistakes, while at the same time follows his lead in terms of how good he was.
The hope is that Kai will have the support his Dad maybe didn’t. His Dad is going to be acutely aware of his own vices and how his son may replicate them, and as a parent, one thing you always want is for your kids to be better than you. To learn from your mistakes.

The kid seems really talented, but it’s so early that it’s not worth talking about for at least another 2-3 years.

next_number_seven

The hope is that Kai will have the support his Dad maybe didn’t. His Dad is going to be acutely aware of his own vices and how his son may replicate them, and as a parent, one thing you always want is for your kids to be better than you. To learn from your mistakes.

The kid seems really talented, but it’s so early that it’s not worth talking about for at least another 2-3 years.
Rooney's matured a lot. He's much more articulate these days. I wonder has he been seeing a psychologist. Maybe Colleen made him see one

I think he didn't understand his own feelings so drank to deal with it.

He had enormous pressure and fame and media attention from a very young age.

I think as a rule footballers shouldn't drink during the season. Have a blowout on holiday in the summer maybe.

Drink just leads to trouble. It would be great if they could have a glass of wine with dinner but as most people know, it's hard to stop at one.

Rooney's been photographed smoking even.

I know someone who was in same campsite at Glastonbury as him, it was a fancy teepee one I think. Same year U2 played, 2011 so Rooney was 26. Had just won the PL and lost the CL final.

He said Rooney was drinking and smoking all weekend. It was the holiday season but still I don't think Ronaldo or Messi would do that.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Which is fine. Nothing wrong with being finished at the top at 29 if you start at the top at 16. I never get why it’s so much more frowned upon than starting at the top at 20/21 and being finished mid thirties. It’s the same thing.

next_number_seven

Which is fine. Nothing wrong with being finished at the top at 29 if you start at the top at 16. I never get why it’s so much more frowned upon than starting at the top at 20/21 and being finished mid thirties. It’s the same thing.
Rooney's lifestyle was the problem.

PoTMS

His dad was only two years older than Kai is now when he started ripping through Premier League defences'.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Scored a goal in each of the last three games of the season. One in the Albert Phelan Cup North Semi-final against City, one in the North Final vs Villa and one today in the Nationals Final win over Millwall. Eight goals in six appearances in the competition.

Last edited:

Borninthe80ts

Like others at a similar trajectory I can see him getting featured for the under 18s next season. No hype, just saying.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Like others at a similar trajectory I can see him getting featured for the under 18s next season. No hype, just saying.
Very difficult to say without seeing him play. I’d be very surprised if we didn’t sign a striker to the U18s.

Think JJ will feature at some point next season, seeing as we’ve already started integrating him to the group.

Moriarty

Colleen will keep him on the straight and narrow.

Borninthe80ts

Very difficult to say without seeing him play. I’d be very surprised if we didn’t sign a striker to the U18s.

Think JJ will feature at some point next season, seeing as we’ve already started integrating him to the group.
True, ive not watched him extensively but sometimes your instincts just tell you. Temperament from interviews too maybe? Anyway I think we will sign a striker too but we will definitely still see a couple like him and or JJ feature too at some point.

Sgreddevil

Let's not overhype him and let him develop without that.
Can't really think of many successful sons of the great dads in recent history. Maldini and maybe Blind to a certain extent (still a big gap with his dad)

Greeks

Who is JJ

dazjoe

Let's not overhype him and let him develop without that.
Can't really think of many successful sons of the great dads in recent history. Maldini and maybe Blind to a certain extent (still a big gap with his dad)
Big Pete and Kasper. He wasn't in his dad's class but still a good title winning 'keeper.