Kalvin Phillips | City Player (West Ham loan watch)

Gazza

Christ we don't need them until we do how arrogant does that make you lot sound
:lol: yep. It’s obviously great for City that they have an England international on reserve. More questionable is whether this move will push Phillips’ career forward beyond improving his bank balance.

He could end up like Scott Parker, whose career lost all its momentum when he joined Chelsea.

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
Christ we don't need them until we do how arrogant does that make you lot sound
Wasn't really meant arrogant, it's just that people tend to overreact when players we sign get bedded in slowly or fails to grab headlines while playing for us. Its easy to say we shouldn't have signed this and that player because we already have high quality players in their specific role but then suddenly a loss of form or an injury at a crucial time in the season and the season is ruined. People said the same about Ake when he couldn't keep fit, but all of a sudden every other CB dropped out with injury and we would have been completely shafted without him at the back end of last season. And then once he got a run in the team he is suddenly looking like Guardiolas first choice, at least for now.

We spend a lot of money, we are basically financially doped, our "back-ups" is bound to both cost a lot and be of high quality and they are never brought in as back-ups but to make their role their own

croadyman

Wasn't really meant arrogant, it's just that people tend to overreact when players we sign get bedded in slowly or fails to grab headlines while playing for us. Its easy to say we shouldn't have signed this and that player because we already have high quality players in their specific role but then suddenly a loss of form or an injury at a crucial time in the season and the season is ruined. People said the same about Ake when he couldn't keep fit, but all of a sudden every other CB dropped out with injury and we would have been completely shafted without him at the back end of last season. And then once he got a run in the team he is suddenly looking like Guardiolas first choice, at least for now.

We spend a lot of money, we are basically financially doped, our "back-ups" is bound to both cost a lot and be of high quality and they are never brought in as back-ups but to make their role their own
Financially doped and coached by best in world

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
From City's perspective its fine. If he's not good enough (way too early) they'll just replace him with another 50/60 million signing as their spending has no real negative consequence. For the player it's important he plays of course. I'm not sure moving to a club which has Rodri made sense. Pep is hardly going to play a double pivot. But let's wait and watch.

The Purley King

Just because Southgate gonna Southgate? Because it really should be Rice and Bellingham
even Southgate can’t be so stupid as to pick Phillips when Bellingham is clearly superior and Phillips won’t have kicked a ball for 4 months.
Surely?

pascell

Rice is an automatic starter. It's one of Henderson, Phillips or Bellingham alongside him.

Mount is in terrible form though so perhaps Southgate will go ultra negative and play all three. :lol:
Don't forget Maguire, if you don't recognise the name, he goes by McGuire on here, has a big fecking head.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
He just not on the same level as his teammates. He’ll be running around with pashun for Everton in two seasons time.

Luka Mora

They just signed him to meet the home grown quota. Nothing more than paperwork signing

Judas

Open to offers
No Consequences FC. If it doesn't work out its a shrug of the shoulders, sell for big money, spend even more on a replacement. It's just beyond tedious. There's no point being nervous about a signing if you're a City fan, because at worst you have one season of it, then they're forgotten about and replaced for an even shinier toy.

big_jeffstar

No Consequences FC. If it doesn't work out its a shrug of the shoulders, sell for big money, spend even more on a replacement. It's just beyond tedious. There's no point being nervous about a signing if you're a City fan, because at worst you have one season of it, then they're forgotten about and replaced for an even shinier toy.
Indeed, it’s the reason that their success just feels empty, it’s so strange.. they’re probably one of the best teams in the world, with probably the best manager, and they still can’t seem to find relevance, I think they believe they’re making their own history or something, but it will never be given the same amount of weight as other teams, because of their constant cheat code..
I enjoyed the post from that city fan who said he was bored.. I can totally understand that, they’re successful.. but boring as hell, because there’s never any associated risk

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I forgot he exists
Same.

I remember thinking a better move for him would have been United but I suppose you're all happier with Casemiro now, but sitting on the bench in case Rodri gets injured is a hell of a career move when you're at the cusp of hitting your prime and you've worked so hard to be a regular starter for England.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Just admit it you didn't need him or Grealish
Why did we not need him? Did we need Fernandinho? We 2 dm's for 1 spot thats kinda standard fare really isn't it?
6 midfielders for 2 spots. We also have 2 left wingers for 1 spot. So I don't know where you pulled that from.
You guys don't need Eriksen or Martinez cause you already had players in those positions?

Skills

Snitch
Why? Rice is 10x the player Philips is which has always been the case and Rice has only got better since. Bellingham should be nailed on next to rice.
I don't get what people see in Rice. He's a nothing player for me in midfield.

Phillips comfortably outshone him when he was partnered with him at the euros.

CarbonStoolBites

The move made sense for both the club and the player.
City got a PL proven England international backup DM for 45m which is a decent deal and peanuts for them.
The player almost got relegated with Leeds and who clearly has belief in his abilities was never going to turn down a move to the best team in the league.

He was never going to be good enough to be a starter for City but if he stays fit he can still get plenty of game time over the course of the season.
The

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Forgot this guy plays for city. Has he even played any games yet? :lol: 45m is still a lot of money for a player that will barely play for you. That’s enough money to spend on someone who’ll start for you.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Where does he fit in with England now? Surely can’t be a starter in the World Cup when he barely plays now.
I mean let's be honest, he only started at the Euros because Henderson wasn't fully fit and Bellingham was like 17 at the time.

Spaghetti

Mom's
Calling City out for this, yet we signed a CM for 60m and left him out of every game for Scott McTominay.

Varun

Staff
Calling City out for this, yet we signed a CM for 60m and left him out of every game for Scott McTominay.
Because Phillips not beating Rodri to the 11 and Casemiro not beating McT to it are because of the same reason

croadyman

Why did we not need him? Did we need Fernandinho? We 2 dm's for 1 spot thats kinda standard fare really isn't it?
6 midfielders for 2 spots. We also have 2 left wingers for 1 spot. So I don't know where you pulled that from.
You guys don't need Eriksen or Martinez cause you already had players in those positions?
Haha we have no one who is even remotely close to Christian on the ball and Lisandro has more fight in his little finger than the rest.

Grande

City can buy England NT and use it for spare parts, innit?

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
It's signings like this that completely back up the argument I have with friends about it not being a level playing field. The ability to purchase players at a premium with no real worry about what will happen if they fail is miles away from how 99% of other clubs operate.

City realise that if Phillips doesn't work out, they can simply purchase Ward-Prouse, Rice or Tielemans further down the line and still sell Phillips at a not significantly reduced fee (after all, he must be good as City paid so much for him!).

GlasgowCeltic

It's signings like this that completely back up the argument I have with friends about it not being a level playing field. The ability to purchase players at a premium with no real worry about what will happen if they fail is miles away from how 99% of other clubs operate.

City realise that if Phillips doesn't work out, they can simply purchase Ward-Prouse, Rice or Tielemans further down the line and still sell Phillips at a not significantly reduced fee (after all, he must be good as City paid so much for him!).
Having Arsenal and Southampton basically positioned as sister clubs helps with this too

Luka Mora

You can't really cry about them spending when we spent 230 million and didn't even recieve more than 10 mil in sales

They bought Phillips for 42 million which is the same price we paid for Donny Van Beek, Amad and those players are rotting away.

This summer city recouped 125 million in sales and spent 140 million. So this even playing field narrative is bs. The difference between us and City over the last 3-4 years, is that City buy players who fit the managers system, while we have wasted resources by spending huge money on signings based on who is likely to get the fans juices flowing with no thought for how they fit in long term for the manager philosophy.

Hopefully now we have a competent manager and structural changes behind the scenes, we will see a more considered approach to buying players in future, so we don't have to be playing victim to how our neighbours choose to spend their money.

Chief123

Maybe because casemiro isn’t fully fit and Mctominay has probably shown his best form in over 2 years. Take about being hyperbole.