Kalvin Phillips | City Player (West Ham loan watch)

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
When you're winning trophies everything gets ignored.

Grealish has 7 goals and 1 assist in 56 Apps and he's seen as a brilliant signing by City. Shrewd business.

Darwin has 9 goals and 3 assists in 22 for comparison and is widely considered as a flop.

Sancho has 8 goals and 4 assists in 52 Apps and is seen as flop of the century.
Only you saying Grealish as brilliant signing and shrewd business.

Robertd0803

Playing here every week, would he? Only because we had McFred, which went on for far longer than it should have. He is below the standard we should be looking at and I can't understand why any United fan would be wishing he joined us ahead of them. They can afford to add decent players that never play to their ranks, we can't spend that money on a guy that is not good enough to be more than a squad member. I'm glad he didn't want to come here and I'm not convinced we were that keen on bringing him here anyway.
I mentioned after this post that I was convinced that Phillips had moved to City last season for some reason :lol: so yeah him playing ahead of McFred last season would definitley been an improvement.

But I forgot he only joined last summer and just as well he joined them considering the issues he has had since.

Judas

Open to offers
Think you missed the point. He's been taken out of the squad because he's not good enough and not because he's ill, which is what people have assumed as to why sancho isn't playing
The newbie system is failing if people who make posts like this and the pathetic previous one that's now gone in this thread, are being promoted.

If Jose had spoke about say Luke Shaw in this manner while he was United manager he would have got slaughtered on social media and on here. Yet with Pep everyone praises him. I think this is very poor management. By all means rip into the player behind the scenes but there is no need to hang him out to dry in public.

ForeverRed1

Good. Him and Grealish deserve this.
I’m sure they are sat In their £5000000 mansions Crying their eyes out because they don’t play 90 minutes every week while collecting their 250k and the rest salaries. They must be finding it really tough getting paid obscene money to train a couple hours a day and play footie when called upon. It must be rough being them and I’m sure they are mentally punishing themselves daily.

Oranges038

One of these clubs is not like the others. :wenger:

Chelsea piss more money up the wall than even City do. Two £250M+ transfer windows and I doubt anyone can name a single player out of that lot that improved them.
Laughable really, usually more players out on loan than some PL clubs have in their first team squad.

Phillips was merely signed to boost the homegrown number and add backup. Like when the likes of Sidwell went to Chelsea, he was never going to be a starter and he knows it because otherwise he would be pushing to be in the best shape possible to make it.

Cloud7

His career will go the way of Rodwell. He will be forgotten about in a couple years.

TheReligion

Abusive
The newbie system is failing if people who make posts like this and the pathetic previous one that's now gone in this thread, are being promoted.
It’s these new scouts! Luckily they have posters like us policing these things and making up for their errors!

Jim Lawlor and Marcel Bout

:D

Oldyella

If Jose had spoke about say Luke Shaw in this manner while he was United manager he would have got slaughtered on social media and on here. Yet with Pep everyone praises him. I think this is very poor management. By all means rip into the player behind the scenes but there is no need to hang him out to dry in public.
Maybe he already has and hasn't got the response he wanted from the player? Dunno.

Jose would only have been slaughtered because he wasn't winning and had a patter of doing the same. Jose v.1at Chelsea would have got away with it too. Same with Fergie with us, Klopp at pool. It's amazing what winning allows you to get away with.

phelans shorts

Mourinho said much worse about Luke Shaw and tonnes of morons on here and Twitter agreed with him, despite it obviously being a crock of shit.

Hell people on here were praising Rangnick last season.

Maybe he already has and hasn't got the response he wanted from the player? Dunno.

Jose would only have been slaughtered because he wasn't winning and had a patter of doing the same. Jose v.1at Chelsea would have got away with it too. Same with Fergie with us, Klopp at pool. It's amazing what winning allows you to get away with.
I have to respectfully disagree. Whatever about Klopp no United manager would ever get away with it, even Fergie. Too much clickbait with United. Ferguson destroys England's star player etc. Look at the fuss when Fergie hit Beckham with the boot! England star abused by Fergie etc, etc
I suppose City get away with it because they are a tinpot bunch of nobody's.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I’m sure they are sat In their £5000000 mansions Crying their eyes out because they don’t play 90 minutes every week while collecting their 250k and the rest salaries. They must be finding it really tough getting paid obscene money to train a couple hours a day and play footie when called upon. It must be rough being them and I’m sure they are mentally punishing themselves daily.
Not sure if sarcasm…

Mourinho said much worse about Luke Shaw and tonnes of morons on here and Twitter agreed with him, despite it obviously being a crock of shit.

Hell people on here were praising Rangnick last season.
But that's my point. It was all over 606, opinion pieces etc for weeks. Jose is toxic, United in crisis, all the usual nonsense for clickbait. Say what you like behind closed doors but hanging a player out to dry in public is wrong regardless of who does it.
But since City are winning and Pep , like Klopp is a media darling no one in the media will call them out.
Ferguson spent his career at war with the press and turned it to his advantage, siege mentality etc. No other United manager before or since has turned a massive disadvantage so much in their favour. Yet another example of the man's genius

phelans shorts

But that's my point. It was all over 606, opinion pieces etc for weeks. Jose is toxic, United in crisis, all the usual nonsense for clickbait. Say what you like behind closed doors but hanging a player out to dry in public is wrong regardless of who does it.
But since City are winning and Pep , like Klopp is a media darling no one in the media will call them out.
Ferguson spent his career at war with the press and turned it to his advantage, siege mentality etc. No other United manager before or since has turned a massive disadvantage so much in their favour. Yet another example of the man's genius
But you said he’d have got slaughtered, which he didn’t. We weren’t winning and people were blaming the likes of Shaw for that.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Pep said he is overweight. I thought fat shaming was no longer acceptable? Imagine if it was a women he was talking about like that, he’d be cancelled on the spot!

Zen86

Are there any clubs other than City that don't get criticised for their shite £50m signings? Everyone always goes on about how good they are in the market but it's because everyone conveniently ignores their duds, they've spent money on some right shite over the years.
£50m is them is the equivalent of a £15m punt for any other club. It’s pretty eye watering the amount of hoarding they do with players at both senior and youth level. It’s the sad state of football unfortunately.

FujiVice

One of these clubs is not like the others. :wenger:

Chelsea piss more money up the wall than even City do. Two £250M+ transfer windows and I doubt anyone can name a single player out of that lot that improved them.
Chelsea are a famous club around the world, regardless of their spending. They've won the CL twice, had famous players and are based in London. People know them and care about them, regardless of how they got there. City are the second famous club in their own manor.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He’s hardly played since the summer. It’s on Southgate for dragging him to the World Cup rather than letting him stay back and get a proper preseason to get his fitness.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I don’t think overweight in footballing terms = overweight in societal terms.

JSArsenal

I guess it depends on their personality, some players want to play. Others are happy to collect a pay check

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Exactly.
Compared to the average redcafe poster even the "overweight" version will be model-esque beyond their wildest dream.

BerryBerryShrew

It does depend on the player to be fair. I mean, Ronaldo was desperately trying to avoid being the best paid player in history in favour of getting paid substantially less playing for any CL side in any country.

I also think that top level players typically back themselves to succeed. Phillips didn't go to Citeh thinking that he was going to be a permanent fixture on the bench. He thought he would be good enough to start ahead of Rodri- stupid and all as that is to everyone else. And Grealish cost 100m. No club in history- even oil clubs- pay that sort of money for a sub. He also would have assumed that he'd be a nailed on starter when he went there.

JSArsenal

It does depend on the player to be fair. I mean, Ronaldo was desperately trying to avoid being the best paid player in history in favour of getting paid substantially less playing for any CL side in any country.

I also think that top level players typically back themselves to succeed. Phillips didn't go to Citeh thinking that he was going to be a permanent fixture on the bench. He thought he would be good enough to start ahead of Rodri- stupid and all as that is to everyone else. And Grealish cost 100m. No club in history- even oil clubs- pay that sort of money for a sub. He also would have assumed that he'd be a nailed on starter when he went there.
Agreed 100%. I can't remember who it was, maybe Alex Song, that thought he was going to be a starter at Barcelona. Some players just happy to be there, others back themselves to the hilt. That's normal because you have to have a pretty important view of yourself to make it as a top athlete.

I think we forget as well, that just taking a pay check is fine when you're in the back end of your career but to do so in your prime and accept a bench place is silly. If you sit on the bench for a few years your stock tumbles and you will never earn that much money again, probably far less than you did before you made the jump.

Alex Song, Rodwell, Hleb and a few others come to mind. Of course none of them expected to be subs but there's a difference between being a squad/rotational player who is a valued member of the squad and will have a spot for years and being a permanent fixture on the bench.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Yeah it doesn't. You'll generally have a known weight that you operate best at, and you'll be expected to maintain it, with a grace window slightly above and slightly below. It's about operating at your peak physical condition.

kaku06

Vulgarian
Ah, Money is everything guy.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
That's just pocket change to them.

We spend £15M on Malacia and expect a 1st team performance from him. They spend £50M (or £100M on Grealish) and if it doesn't work out, they just shrug their shoulders and move on to the next £50M+ player.
A United fan or a fan of any club that has money shouldn't be complaining about this tbh

You spent 35-40m on two CB (Bailey/Lindelof) didn't work out another 80m on Maguire, then another 40m on Varane and another 60m on Martinez. Maguire is your Grealish.

Further more you bought on Fred weren't happy invested 35m for van Beek and then another 60-70m for Casemiro. Basically your Philips situation.

Now despite having Sancho and Anthony your club is interested in Gapko who will cost around 50-70m.

Real Madrid last season had Bale 100m, Hazard 100m, Jovic 60-70m, Isco 35-40m, Rodrygo 45-50m, Camavinga 40-50m on the bench.

This is how all clubs with money operate, be it "organically earned" or old/state funded.

West Ham, Sevilla, Valencia, Brentford, etc fans should be complaining about this.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
He’s hardly played since the summer. It’s on Southgate for dragging him to the World Cup rather than letting him stay back and get a proper preseason to get his fitness.
Southgate should never have taken him but how is it his fault that he is overweight exactly? He had plenty of free time to get some practice in on the training pitches and gyms in Qatar. You should begin by questioning his professionalism and mentality and England coaches before you question the half witted England manager.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
A United fan or a fan of any club that has money shouldn't be complaining about this tbh

You spent 35-40m on two CB (Bailey/Lindelof) didn't work out another 80m on Maguire, then another 40m on Varane and another 60m on Martinez. Maguire is your Grealish.

Further more you bought on Fred weren't happy invested 35m for van Beek and then another 60-70m for Casemiro. Basically your Philips situation.

Now despite having Sancho and Anthony your club is interested in Gapko who will cost around 50-70m.

Real Madrid last season had Bale 100m, Hazard 100m, Jovic 60-70m, Isco 35-40m, Rodrygo 45-50m, Camavinga 40-50m on the bench.

This is how all clubs with money operate, be it "organically earned" or old/state funded.

West Ham, Sevilla, Valencia, Brentford, etc fans should be complaining about this.
Nobody came back on this post.
With good reason as there’s nothing to dispute.