Kane goes Awol

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbers

ESPNFC is saying there was a gentleman’s agreement at the time he signed the 6 year deal.
This gentleman's agreement thing is irrelevant and getting tedious to read in the media. Legally it's obviously meaningless anyway, but even morally, it does not mean "we'll let you leave regardless of what is bid for you".

One of the top strikers in the world with 3 years left on his deal for feck sake. And people actually think Levy should take whatever is offered because of a "gentleman's agreement" hahaha. Kane himself actually is dumb enough, he probably thought it meant he'd be able to leave regardless of transfer fee.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
This gentleman's agreement thing is irrelevant and getting tedious to read in the media. Legally it's obviously meaningless anyway, but even morally, it does not mean "we'll let you leave regardless of what is bid for you".

One of the top strikers in the world with 3 years left on his deal for feck sake. And people actually think Levy should take whatever is offered because of a "gentleman's agreement" hahaha. Kane himself actually is dumb enough, he probably thought it meant he'd be able to leave regardless of transfer fee.
If Levy did tell him they would sell him as long as a valuation was met during his contract, which is what many media outlets are reporting, then Kane will not suffer sponsorships or recruitment in his future. Public opinion is important. During the segment on ESPNFC the panel agreed that Levy will have him on the team opening day if Man City do not up the amount offered.

I would love to see both sides dig in.

Commentary

£160 million pounds for Harry Kane!

I still can't get over that....Highway robbery. PSG has really f'ed the transfer market.

It's looking like poor Harry Kane could be stuck another year at Tottenham, I can't forsee Man City sitting down at the bargaining table at that starting price.

Imagine being an honourable guy like Harry Kane, who naively enters into a gentlemen's agreement, and then has to go back for another year to look your cockroach boss in the face time and time again. It would drive me to madness.

Marcus

Can City afford both Kane and Grealish? It's not like there are many teams who can afford their cast-offs.

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa

I still can't get over that....Highway robbery. PSG has really f'ed the transfer market.

It's looking like poor Harry Kane could be stuck another year at Tottenham, I can't forsee Man City sitting down at the bargaining table at that starting price.

Imagine being an honourable guy like Harry Kane, who naively enters into a gentlemen's agreement, and then has to go back for another year to look your cockroach boss in the face time and time again. It would drive me to madness.
How is it highway robbery? He's the second best if not best striker in the world. A world where Jack Grealish might go for 100m. There are very few surefire bets for 20 goals a season in the PL, if any. Kane is that. You buy him, you know you're guaranteed goals. No settling in period, no adjustment to English football.

AkaAkuma

Theres some research on how people generally evaluate an experience based on the high and low point, rather than a balanced view of the whole journey.

Honestly I think he should be free to leave at a market rate. Thank him for his service, behaviour over that term and professionalism. Maybe apologize to him for putting him in a situation where all the above is forgotten in just a few days.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Three years left on his contract. One of the most highly recognised strikers in the world. Hes got the 'English' tax. And its the club with the bottomless pit of oil money thats coming in for him...

Levy would be a mug to let him go for anything less that £160m.

Commentary

How is it highway robbery? He's the second best if not best striker in the world. A world where Jack Grealish might go for 100m. There are very few surefire bets for 20 goals a season in the PL, if any. Kane is that. You buy him, you know you're guaranteed goals. No settling in period, no adjustment to English football.
He's injury prone and on the older end of his career for one.

I also mentioned that PSG have screwed up the transfer market with their high end purchases.
Man City won't pay £160 mill for Kane let alone £140. (The only two clubs I can see dishing out that money is PSG and Chelsea)

If you want transfer payments and salaries to continue to escalate in the manner they have than be my guest, but it won't be good for football or United for that matter. (The Glazer's are only worth around 4 billion)

iKnowNothing

You’re making it sound like Kane is some angel being taken advantage of by Levy.

Also Kane is an “honorable guy”, as opposed to others say Grealish or other less honorable players?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
No one will spend 150m on Kane this summer. There no pressure for Spur rushing to sell him at all with 3 years contract remaining. Just fine him a week wage for miss training if I were Spur. There’s WC coming up next year, he won’t be missing training forever.

But then of course, next summer Haaland would be available in the market for 75m, and Mbappe would be free. If Spur insist to ask for 150m for Kane, there’s likely a chance he won’t be able to move next summer, so then he will be at the last year of his contract in 2 years time. It will be Pogba situation all over again. Spur has to sell him for considerably less next sumner I reckon. Around 75m would be reasonable price.

Last edited:

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
He can get much more
Of course but he's already "secured financial freedom" which was what you said he should do.

Even if you think £33 mil is not enough, if he took 50% if his current salary somewhere other than Spurs, that's still 5 mil a year for a few years plus endorsements.

RedDevil@84

Hi Harry Kane's brother

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Kane willfully entered into this contract. The whole "justice for Kane" narrative is so tedious. Did Levy actually say well sell you for 100 million pounds? The same fee as Grealish who is clearly inferior to him? I doubt it.

Commentary

Kane willfully entered into this contract. The whole "justice for Kane" narrative is so tedious. Did Levy actually say well sell you for 100 million pounds? The same fee as Grealish who is clearly inferior to him? I doubt it.
I never stated that Kane should go for 100 million, I stated that 160 is highway robbery, particularly during a pandemic.

I then stated that outside of PSG who have ruined the transfer market and maybe Chelsea, no one is going to sit down to negotiate at that starting fee.

It stinks of a power move to keep Kane locked in at Tottenham.

Kane's problem is that he was naive. A gentleman's agreement means shite on paper.

He wanted to leave last year but Levy convinced him to stay, he wants to go this year, and it looks like he will be forced to stay again.

Anyways I'm tired of repeating previous info, I already covered the issue of him willingly entering the contract.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Rather unprofessional of him if true. The media going on about gentleman agreements made in order for him to sign his last contract, is really just spin from them. There is no such thing, and if Kane truly had an agreement to leave, he should have gotten that written into his contract. It would have been hardly any effort to have the so called agreement added to the actual document.

Pronewbie

Peep
Kane at 28 is not worth 160M in a covid world. If the gentleman's agreement rumours are true, for all he's done for Spurs despite their awful past 2 seasons, Levy could have been more respectful of his wishes. This is what big clubs tend to do, and one of the reasons why they remain big.

Commentary

Kane at 28 is not worth 160M in a covid world. If the gentleman's agreement rumours are true, for all he's done for Spurs despite their awful past 2 seasons, Levy could have been more respectful of his wishes. This is what big clubs tend to do, and one of the reasons why they remain big.
I think the gentlemen's agreement is the big catch.

If it's true, than Levy has a essentially gone back on his word after already convincing him to stay an extra year.

No one likes someone who goes back on their word, especially if they are in a position of power over another person.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Is this really about a fee?
I keep reading Spurs being adamant that he will not be sold. That's a different issue.

lysglimt

Scout
In fairness - we have no idea what the gentlemens agreement is. What if Levy has told Kane - stay one more year and we will let you leave if we receive an "ok" offer ? And then Levy decides - £160 million is an ok offer - which for a 28 year old is absurd. Ferguson gave the same promise to Ronaldo - and we let him go for £80 million - because it was the right thing to do. I am not saying Kane is right to do what he did, but unless we know what Levy has promised Kane, it's hard to say anything either way.

I always remember how Ashley Cole turned into Cashley - when Arsenal was mostly to blame for what happened. Afterwards it was revealed that Arsenal actually went back on the promise they had given Cole. I can't recall exactly what the wages were - but I think they promised him £40.000 a week to sign a new contract, but when the contract was on the table it had been changed to £35.000 and all hell broke loose. Players aren't always to blame for everything.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
I mean, you're right. Everyone just assumes Levy did him dirty, when no one really knows if there were any promises and if there were, what they contained.

Maybe Levy said 150m and you're good to go. Maybe he said 100m, maybe 500m. We're just speculating here, but people seem so sure Levy went back on his word.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
160m?? I hope city refuse to pay that because otherwise it sets a dangerous precedent for prices to go higher and higher. What does it take for prices to top out?

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool

I don't know the legals in the UK, but in Denmark verbal agreements are no less legally binding than a written one.

They are usually harder to confirm and establish in a court of law when disputed of course, as it often amounts to a "he said, she said" situation, but if the agreement could be established to exist, then it is as legally valid as a written one.

A quick Google suggests the same holds true in the UK.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I can’t help but laugh everyone talking about a gentleman’s agreement yet not one person can tell me what it is :lol:
At a time when Kane would have been worth well over 150m the agreement clearly was if a domestic rival offer 100m off the back of your best ever season for you in three years time you just accept it. Even though that can barely get you a Grealish or a Lukaku it’s obviously a fair price because City and Kane have decided it is. They’re in absolute fantasy land.

JB7

What is it about teams Guardiola manages and people thinking the selling club is trying to rip them off? When he was at Barcelona there were years of them basically setting the price they would buy the player at and making the player publicly kick & scream until they got him for the price Barcelona wanted to pay and it’s happening again & people are lapping it up saying how Levy is being unreasonable - no he’s not, Kane is their player so they set the fecking price which City can either pay or they can feck off.

JB7

I don't know the legals in the UK, but in Denmark verbal agreements are no less legally binding than a written one.

They are usually harder to confirm and establish in a court of law when disputed of course, as it often amounts to a "he said, she said" situation, but if the agreement could be established to exist, then it is as legally valid as a written one.

A quick Google suggests the same holds true in the UK.
Anyone in the UK who’s ever so much as watched Judge Rinder could tell you that it needs to be in writing to be legally binding.

Pep's Suit

Any gentleman's agreement becomes worthless quite quickly when Kane is worth more to Spurs to any other club. Yes, they should probably ask for £160m but no team should spend more than £90-100 plus maybe some add-ons on Kane. Probably didn't help that Kane doesn't have a proper agent who would advise him to ask for a buy-out clause in his new contract.

Reactions: Penna

gazbradley

To be fair, if you see City bid 100 mill on Grealish, you could expect Spurs wanting more for Kane.
Exactly this. I’d imagine this is probably why Levy has backtracked on any potential ‘gentleman’s agreement’. I’m sure if Kane puts in a transfer request or offers to waiver any sort of loyalty bonus he’d be due, which I’m guessing would be in the 10s of millions, Spurs might be a bit more receptive to a bid of £100 mil but until that happens Kane’s value in this market to City has to be more than Grealish’s

devilo

Any gentleman's agreement becomes worthless quite quickly when Kane is worth more to Spurs to any other club. Yes, they should probably ask for £160m but no team should spend more than £90-100 plus maybe some add-ons on Kane. Probably didn't help that Kane doesn't have a proper agent who would advise him to ask for a buy-out clause in his new contract.
Kane doesn't have a proper agent? I find that hard to believe.

More likely that Kane and his agent were enjoying blissful ignorance to the possibilty of moving to another (bigger, more successful) club in the future when they were signing off his current 6 -year deal with spurs.

Pep's Suit

More likely that Kane and his agent were enjoying blissful ignorance to the possibilty of moving to another (bigger, more successful) club in the future when they were signing off his current 6 -year deal with spurs.
Kane's brother is his agent.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

ITs his brother, and I am pretty sure he's using a selfie stick in this one.

Or this one where you can see how the Saudis seem to have paid him off with a river of oil. By all means he's a bit of a dick, the type of guy Levy will grind to dust.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
What is it about teams Guardiola manages and people thinking the selling club is trying to rip them off? When he was at Barcelona there were years of them basically setting the price they would buy the player at and making the player publicly kick & scream until they got him for the price Barcelona wanted to pay and it’s happening again & people are lapping it up saying how Levy is being unreasonable - no he’s not, Kane is their player so they set the fecking price which City can either pay or they can feck off.
This is exactly how it should be, Remember Sancho, Longstaff, Rice... if you can't pay do move on!!

UncleBob

In a shocking turn of events, we can now confirm these breaking news where it seems like clubs want to pay as little as possible for the players they are trying to sign.

Bestietom

Very foolish of him with 3 years left on his Spurs contract. Signed a 6 year contract in 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.