Kane goes Awol

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulScholes99

If there is a gentelman agreement it will certainly be something like "we will sell you if somebody pays a fair price based on market valuation" and definitely not something like "we will sell you for a price you and the buyer think that is fair". 100 million is just not enough for one of the best players in the league with 3 years left on his contract. Especially not after a season where he won the most goals and most assists.

I don't care too much about Kane but i think he has no right to strike. I know that it doesn't make sense for Spurs as they would receive less money, pay his salary and get nothing in reward but i would love it if Spurs let Kane would rot on the stand for a year. Would set a precedent for many players to think twice about striking. But of course it will not happen as it doesn't make sense for Spurs.

JB7

In a shocking turn of events, we can now confirm these breaking news where it seems like clubs want to pay as little as possible for the players they are trying to sign.
Missed the whole point of the post. Well done.

Wilt

Re Kane‘s claimed gentleman’s agreement.

Levy has been called many, many names …..but I can’t ever recall anyone having referred to him as a “gentleman”.

UncleBob

Missed the whole point of the post. Well done.
Hardly.

They aren't doing anything that other clubs haven't done for years. Like what we did when we signed Carrick, Berbatov, how we tried to sign Robben etc. Stick in a low offer, have the player sort out the rest, slightly increase the offer.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
If there is a gentelman agreement it will certainly be something like "we will sell you if somebody pays a fair price based on market valuation" and definitely not something like "we will sell you for a price you and the buyer think that is fair". 100 million is just not enough for one of the best players in the league with 3 years left on his contract. Especially not after a season where he won the most goals and most assists.

I don't care too much about Kane but i think he has no right to strike. I know that it doesn't make sense for Spurs as they would receive less money, pay his salary and get nothing in reward but i would love it if Spurs let Kane would rot on the stand for a year. Would set a precedent for many players to think twice about striking. But of course it will not happen as it doesn't make sense for Spurs.
Doesn't make sense for Kane either. Let's face it, if Spurs dig their heels in and refuse to sell, he'll probably miss the first game or two but be back in the team by the end of the transfer window if not before.

Spurs hold all the cards here.

GazTheLegend

This gentleman's agreement thing is irrelevant and getting tedious to read in the media. Legally it's obviously meaningless anyway, but even morally, it does not mean "we'll let you leave regardless of what is bid for you".

One of the top strikers in the world with 3 years left on his deal for feck sake. And people actually think Levy should take whatever is offered because of a "gentleman's agreement" hahaha. Kane himself actually is dumb enough, he probably thought it meant he'd be able to leave regardless of transfer fee.
This is an absolutely hideous take. For one thing, a verbal contract accepted by both parties IS considered legally binding. That one person can renege on a deal and eventually claim that it never took place means that having things in writing is more demonstrable in a court of law, because all Daniel Levy has to do is say that there was no agreement / Kane is mistaken. But verbal agreements ARE considered binding if you can prove they happened and both parties agreed.

And yes we all know / are aware of Daniel Levy and his past dealings with players (literally making them sit on stationary airplanes on deadline day thinking they're moving then calling them back) and that players are property to him. But for someone like Harry Kane, to call him dumb - when you could call him loyal - is a bit unfair. Is someone dumb to deal with the devil and expect fairness - maybe. But that's because we operate from a position of trust first of all and eventually players do move if they want to, even when Levy is involved. His asset has depreciated from not training with the club, he will make a deal in the end.

JB7

Hardly.

They aren't doing anything that other clubs haven't done for years. Like what we did when we signed Carrick, Berbatov, how we tried to sign Robben etc. Stick in a low offer, have the player sort out the rest, slightly increase the offer.
We paid the asking price for both of those in the end so terrible examples. Even when Berbatov went on strike they ended up getting what they asked for.

The point was around the ridiculous sympathy towards Guardiolas teams when they don’t want to pay a fee. Any other club in the world the general attitude is “this is the price, take it or leave it” and that is fair in popular opinion. Barcelona or City don’t want to pay the money and it’s common discussion to be like “well they’ve offered a fair amount” like the bollocks spouted in this thread. The fair price is Tottenham’s price, nothing more and nothing less.

gazbradley

Kane's been there for years and just has a few years left in the tank. Kane shouldn't leave for free, his contract protects that, but demanding £160 mil. isn't fair game.

If United didn't pay a dime for Bruno and if were here for years and says he wants to try something new, personally, i wouldn't stand in the way. Demanding £160 mil. and then wondering when the players is unhappy is standing in the way, IMO.

Grealish has about two more years as a top level footballer than Kane -age wise. To me that would be worth more money. Letting Kane leave for a 'reasonable' price (£75-£100 mil.) could be a sign of goodwill for years of world class performances and giving up more money he'd easily could have gotten elsewhere.

Spurs and City aren't rivals, Spurs haven't won the league for ages, they just happen to play in the same division. How it has come to that was unfair and comparable to winning the lottery, but that's for another story.
2 more years? Grealish has never really played at the top. There’s still question marks on whether he can do it at the very highest level whereas Kane has been performing there for years now. I don’t see how the 2 are comparable let alone Grealish comes out worth more. If you were arguing the prices quoted for Grealish were too high as well then I’d understand where you’re coming from but in a market where Grealish is £100 mil Kane is easy worth £120 mil minimum

Bestietom

2 more years? Grealish has never really played at the top. There’s still question marks on whether he can do it at the very highest level whereas Kane has been performing there for years now. I don’t see how the 2 are comparable let alone Grealish comes out worth more. If you were arguing the prices quoted for Grealish were too high as well then I’d understand where you’re coming from but in a market where Grealish is £100 mil Kane is easy worth £120 mil minimum
Grealish 100m. Then Kane is worth 170m. Leading goalscorer every other year.

saivet

I wonder what the odds of a Tevez type situation are? From what I recall he went back to Argentina for maybe half a season before returning.

Just remembered Diego Costa did something similar or perhaps I'm getting the two examples confused.

I'm not sure Kane would kick up that big of a fuss where he refuses to train or play beyond the transfer window.

Hughes35

Kane isn't coming out of this looking great really. Signing a long contract and then throwing his toys out of the pram when they won't sell him on the cheap?

Have City even tabled a bid yet? If they had offered 150 Mil and Spurs had rejected then I'd understand why he's pissed....... Also, if he wants a move that badly, hand in a transfer request.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Is he back today?

Is Sky sports putting a journalist outside Spurs training ground? I hope they are doing 24 hour surveillance of Spurs training ground.

Hulksmash

If the rumours are true that Tottenham rejected 120M bid for Kane , then Tottenham deserves that Treatment.

150Million actually is the same as we're not selling him

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks

ITs his brother, and I am pretty sure he's using a selfie stick in this one.

Or this one where you can see how the Saudis seem to have paid him off with a river of oil. By all means he's a bit of a dick, the type of guy Levy will grind to dust.

Like a child playing grown-up.

VinchNow

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
Supports
Liverpool
Kane isn't coming out of this looking great really. Signing a long contract and then throwing his toys out of the pram when they won't sell him on the cheap?

Have City even tabled a bid yet? If they had offered 150 Mil and Spurs had rejected then I'd understand why he's pissed....... Also, if he wants a move that badly, hand in a transfer request.
How does the loyalty bonus works exactly?
As it is an amount paid over the duration of the contract, does he have to pay back what he got already from it if he were to hand in a transfer request ?
If he really wants to leave, he should though. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
He is the one who agreed to that contract and wants to leave now.

devilo

If the rumours are true that Tottenham rejected 120M bid for Kane , then Tottenham deserves that Treatment.

150Million actually is the same as we're not selling him
All part of the dance. Will eventually get done for about £130m I reckon.

pascell

Or this one where you can see how the Saudis seem to have paid him off with a river of oil. By all means he's a bit of a dick, the type of guy Levy will grind to dust.

He definitely wears a full England kit with 'Kane 10' on the back to play 5 a side in.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC

Can't be the only one getting Moyes first day at United vibes from the first picture :lol:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
To be fair, if you see City bid 100 mill on Grealish, you could expect Spurs wanting more for Kane.
Exactly. Bit rich to be whining about Spurs wanting more than what City are offering for Grealish, someone who has hit nowhere the level Kane has.

Kylar Stern

I dont think Spurs would be out of line to expect upwards of 150m for Kane.

City arent just buying a top striker, they are getting Spurs star player, who also consistently wins goal/assist awards in domestic and international competition and also happens to be England captain thus is hugely marketable (especially in the run up to a world cup)

Spurs are also potentially handing City the PL title for the coming season and bolstering their chances in the CL no end.

If there is an agreement to let him go then Levy is honouring that as hes not flat out refused to sell, hes holding out for what he deems a fair price based on all the above, and hes well within his rights to do that. He knows City can afford it so why wouldnt he? If City pull out he can easily tell Kane that they wanted Grealish more so has nothing to lose.

Hughes35

How does the loyalty bonus works exactly?
As it is an amount paid over the duration of the contract, does he have to pay back what he got already from it if he were to hand in a transfer request ?
If he really wants to leave, he should though. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
He is the one who agreed to that contract and wants to leave now.
I believe it's contract by contract whether the loyalty bonus is a lump sum or in installments (I'd imagine it's usually over installments).

In the case of Kane who has so long left on his contract, he will have a large amount of loyalty bonus left on his contract either way.... This can often account for up to 20% of the full contract value.

Not turning up to training to force a move but not giving up your big meaty loyalty bonus is really low IMO. You can still train but be very open about your desire to leave..... If he had handed in his transfer request AND was refusing to train, I'd have some sympathy for him. At the moment he comes across as a guy who want's everything given to him without having to make any sacrifice himself.

tomaldinho1

I can’t help but laugh everyone talking about a gentleman’s agreement yet not one person can tell me what it is :lol:
Most likely scenario in my opinion without any specifics is Levy just fobbed him off with something non committal like ‘we’ll sell you if someone matches our valuation’.

Kane signed a silly contract and it’s really on him in my eyes. We act like he’s a dunce but he’s not that stupid that he doesn’t understand contract lengths and their relation to getting a transfer.

Lastwolf

The foolish bit was signing a fecking 6 year contract as some sort of a statement back in 2018..
He wanted a pay rise but didn't want to leave at that stage, Spurs definately came out with favourable terms but is it foolish? I mean he'd still have 2 years left on a fairly standard 4+1 contract

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Most likely scenario in my opinion without any specifics is Levy just fobbed him off with something non committal like ‘we’ll sell you if someone matches our valuation’.

Kane signed a silly contract and it’s really on him in my eyes. We act like he’s a dunce but he’s not that stupid that he doesn’t understand contract lengths and their relation to getting a transfer.
Yep. I have a feeling this is happening because Spurs don't agree with the valuation City and Kane feel they sgould have rather than Spurs going back in their word. Like with us and Dortmund, both parties have to be happy with the fee and not just one. This isn't all about Kane as some feel it is

Bondi77

Maybe he had a few beers and had a late night!
Geez.....give the guy a break.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Seems like it, he is making an utter tool out of himself, England captain. Never thought JG would show more professionalism and class tbh.
You shouldn't be talking like that about one of your own.

Santos J

Does he have other clients on his books, or is it just Harry?
Just Harry publically, their website does say clients but then his linked in says " Director of CK66 Ltd, managing all affairs relating to English football captain Harry Kane. " :lol:

stevoc

Mr Tottenham, England captain and role model to children goes AWOL because he can't get his way.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Chelsea play a friendly at home tomorrow night against Spurs.

Obviously Kane would'nt have played anyway but it will be interesting to see if the Spurs fans have any songs for their striking striker.

redshaw

Around 150m is a fair ask.

Said yesterday before the alleged price that Levy making an gentlemens agreement in 2018/19 would be of the understanding of listening to 150m+ offers. Harry and City have brought up a 100m fee they think is fine. While you might say Covid, this is the Abu Dhabi state we're talking about and while the top end might be difficult for non oil clubs, the 40-50m players range hasn't budged, you get a Ben White and a Cristian Romero for a Harry Kane. It's not that tempting for Spurs to offload a 25-30 goal a season top international striker that is pivotal for Spurs and has 3 years left. I don't get how some want cheap deals for City and PSG.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Just Harry publically, their website does say clients but then his linked in says " Director of CK66 Ltd, managing all affairs relating to English football captain Harry Kane. " :lol:
Harry made up a job for his brother, then. Nice thing to do, but not a good idea for a top player!

Status
Not open for further replies.