Keir Starmer Labour Leader

Fluctuation0161

I dont think so if all the parties were standing on a progressive alliance PR ticket as they would be doing the same in the UK as well (and presumably offering Plaid the chance to join as well )
Ahh I see, you mean an alliance purely for the next election with a view to implementing PR? That could work.

NotThatSoph

Anyone that is left wing but refuses to vote for the current Labour party because 'they are just like the Tories' must surely live a relatively privileged life. Corbyn was always the man and he was stabbed in the back by Labour, but the Tories are actively driving the country through the ground. I remember people thinking it couldn't get any more farcical than it was under Boris Johnson. Truss has been in for a matter of weeks and the country is all but on fire. Something has got to give.
Low income people, i.e. the less privileged, are consistently the ones with the lowest voter turnout. Why do you think that is?

neverdie

You missed put the bit about being smug and calling everybody red tories or tory scum and calling the electorate thick
redjez. jezbollah. won't vote for labour. for years. the lack of irony is troubling.

neverdie

So what's the solution? Don't vote for Labour and allow the Tories to do whatever the feck they like unopposed?
keep starmer honest in the short-term. demand something a bit more than "not them" for your vote or you end up voting for no reason in the long term. basically the us system where they vote to keep out the people they hate. there'll always be a bit of that but i tend to still put a lot of emphasis on manifestos in british politics. too far out for labour's? yes and no. wouldn't expect to see it in campaign form but would expect to see skeleton version of it slowly come into being.

redcucumber

Low income people, i.e. the less privileged, are consistently the ones with the lowest voter turnout. Why do you think that is?
Because conservative and neoliberal policies have been enforced by right wing governments. It means we get a political system which serves the affluent, leaving the rest behind and the worst off with no incentive to involve themselves. Starmer isn't as left wing as I'd like, but he's more left wing than the likes of Boris Johnson and Truss.

redcucumber

keep starmer honest in the short-term. demand something a bit more than "not them" for your vote or you end up voting for no reason in the long term. basically the us system where they vote to keep out the people they hate. there'll always be a bit of that but i tend to still put a lot of emphasis on manifestos in british politics. too far out for labour's? yes and no. wouldn't expect to see it in campaign form but would expect to see skeleton version of it slowly come into being.
What does this actually mean in reality? Voting for the Green party? I'm wondering how we keep Starmer humble while the country continues to burn.

neverdie

What does this actually mean in reality? Voting for the Green party? I'm wondering how we keep Starmer humble while the country continues to burn.
i'd imagine that imposing a demand for a green new deal upon labour, and they seem like they could be open to some iteration of that, is exactly how you keep them honest and the exact thing you need to prevent the country from burning.

if labour doesn't offer you an alternative, then by all means vote for the green party, or the lib dems, or a minor independent.

NotThatSoph

Because conservative and neoliberal policies have been enforced by right wing governments. It means we get a political system which serves the affluent, leaving the rest behind and the worst off with no incentive to involve themselves. Starmer isn't as left wing as I'd like, but he's more left wing than the likes of Boris Johnson and Truss.
Ok. but then ... There's nothing super special about Starmer or Truss or the current Labour or current Tories, is there? And yet the less privileged in society are as always the ones voting the least. If it's true that you must lead a relatively privileged life to not vote Labour if you're on the left, why are so many poor people not voting?

nickm

were you one of the people who didn't vote labour because of corbyn? i remember a lot of them knocking about here just before 2019.

it would be easier to move on if the party had done something to address its own skullduggery but how is it supposed to condemn itself? or if starmer had decided to just not purge people and break pledges. he did the last to ensure splits continue. he preferred these kind of splits, which might not matter too much in the long run, to the other sort which he had helped to manufacture against the previous leader, of course.

labour enabled the tories to do that. is the conclusion you have to draw if you take the first part of your sentence seriously. the same one people now want everyone to just vote for without holding onto grudges.
I don't care. Any lingering taint of Corbyn is death to the party's electoral chances. It had to go.

neverdie

I don't care. Any lingering taint of Corbyn is death to the party's electoral chances. It has to go.
many people who voted for starmer actually agreed with that assessment. then they, not corbyn, were fecked over. corbyn's most popular policies but not corbyn. that was the general marketing. stalinist purges and breaker of promises. that's been the general performance. if there's in-fighting, it's because starmer has cultivated it post-2019 when he was elected on a mandate to do the exact opposite. what he decided to do, in effect, was to throw the left under a bus and hope they manage to vote for him despite being crippled come next election.

redcucumber

Ok. but then ... There's nothing super special about Starmer or Truss or the current Labour or current Tories, is there? And yet the less privileged in society are as always the ones voting the least. If it's true that you must lead a relatively privileged life to not vote Labour if you're on the left, why are so many poor people not voting?
Is that what we're waiting for? A super special Labour party and leader to rear its head? Seems ill-fated.

I feel like I sort of tried to answer that second question already. The least well off live in societies led by the likes of Truss and Johnson who build and maintain unequal systems that keep the elite on top. Poor people therefore feel disenfranchised and don't bother to involve themselves in the political feck pie because they feel like no politician is able to relate to them. Corbyn was the one political leader that actually seemed to give a feck, but I can understand why his image failed to resonate with poor people. Mainstream media has no interest in giving the likes of Corbyn a proper platform, which means his sort are doomed from the start. It's thoroughly depressing.

Fully Fledged

Poor education, brainwashed by right wing media and disaffected by politics. They don't believe there is anybody out there to represent them. How you represent them I don't know.

NotThatSoph

Is that what we're waiting for? A super special Labour party and leader to rear its head? Seems ill-fated.

I feel like I sort of tried to answer that second question already. The least well off live in societies led by the likes of Truss and Johnson who build and maintain unequal systems that keep the elite on top. Poor people therefore feel disenfranchised and don't bother to involve themselves in the political feck pie because they feel like no politician is able to relate to them. Corbyn was the one political leader that actually seemed to give a feck, but I can understand why his image failed to resonate with poor people. Mainstream media has no interest in giving the likes of Corbyn a proper platform, which means his sort are doomed from the start. It's thoroughly depressing.
Ok, but to me this reads like it conflicts a bit with what you originally said. Poor people vote less regularly because they're disenfranchised, because the system is built in favour of the rich, because they don't buy that one of the parties in a broken system is actually going to fix things, etc. That makes sense to me, sure, but are not several of these points at least partly covered by " refuses to vote for the current Labour party because 'they are just like the Tories'"?

redcucumber

Ok, but to me this reads like it conflicts a bit with what you originally said. Poor people vote less regularly because they're disenfranchised, because the system is built in favour of the rich, because they don't buy that one of the parties in a broken system is actually going to fix things, etc. That makes sense to me, sure, but are not several of these points at least partly covered by " refuses to vote for the current Labour party because 'they are just like the Tories'"?
I think the Labour party will do more for this country than the Tories will, which will have the obvious effect of improving the lives of the worst off. However, I don't expect those struggling the most to have the energy and free time to read manifestos and articles/watch interviews etc to understand why that'd be the case. They've had years of systems serving to make their lives increasingly harder, so it's understandable if they are completely turned off by politics. Mick Lynch seems like the type of person that connects with the none voting working class.

Maticmaker

You could have Punch and Judy leading the Labour party right now and they'd have the same lead. :lol:
You mean we haven't got Punch and Judy leading Labour... understandable I suppose, Angela tends to keep her (chastising) 'rolling pin' out of sight, especially at party conferences :lol:

Sweet Square

Sort of plonker who ends up as a universally despised middle manager, as mediocre as they are ambitious.
Tbh the way politics is going this guy could be within a shout of PM with the decade.

I don’t think I’ve ever understand these type of middle management types. It makes sense to go on stage at talk about funding healthcare or trying to make the country more equal, etc. But to get up and slag off another country bid for independence and a better voting system is really wild.

LARulz

Was a good speech - like it

I swear I've never seen his wife before

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Polls show him doing very well, continuation of the double digit leads vs Boris. Again, no reason to think he can't be PM.

largelyworried

Interesting idea about the renewables company. Ticks a lot of boxes - its green, it saves people money, generates jobs, scratches the public ownership itch - without the mess of actually taking over an existing energy company. As a popular policy I think it'll go down well.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Interesting idea about the renewables company. Ticks a lot of boxes - its green, it saves people money, generates jobs, scratches the public ownership itch - without the mess of actually taking over an existing energy company. As a popular policy I think it'll go down well.
True. It's also a difficult one for the Tories to copy or oppose given their own philosophies, which makes it an idea well-chosen this far from an election. And the more the Tories ask for details or criticise the more they will draw attention to it. A problem for them.

Maticmaker

Good speech by Keir, almost gives me hope once again.

It's important now he gets moving with the right pace towards the GE set out Labours stall carefully and gradually, have Truss and co looking over their shoulders as they seek to support the £.

Despite the silly comments from the floor from one delegate, Keir did tell the SNP he wants to be PM of the UK. Therefore, Labour troops now in Scotland have to aim for those who are for the Union... and blow away the Tories into the bargain.

Power and Water effect everyone, so getting them back in Government hands (hopefully) a major move...but not sure about anything else, he knows many want the railways re-nationalised, but does it help everybody? For now, he should stick to those things which touch everybody every day and don't get dragged off 'down a siding' (see what I did there!!) ;)

Labour..'an idea whose time has come' .... (at last)

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Good speech by Keir, almost gives me hope once again.

It's important now he gets moving with the right pace towards the GE set out Labours stall carefully and gradually, have Truss and co looking over their shoulders as they seek to support the £.

Despite the silly comments from the floor from one delegate, Keir did tell the SNP he wants to be PM of the UK. Therefore, Labour troops now in Scotland have to aim for those who are for the Union... and blow away the Tories into the bargain.

Power and Water effect everyone, so getting them back in Government hands (hopefully) a major move...but not sure about anything else, he knows many want the railways re-nationalised, but does it help everybody? For now, he should stick to those things which touch everybody every day and don't get dragged off 'down a siding' (see what I did there!!) ;)

Labour..'an idea whose time has come' .... (at last)
Wow. I have just looked at all of the posts relating to Keir Starmer speech and amazingly, so far anyway, nothing critical of him or it.
This has to be a first.
Very interesting speech I thought. And it must be difficult to not try to be all things to all people.
This is just the kind of imaginative speech that will, I hope, convince people that he and his party can be seen as electable.
Still as you point out a fair way to go yet.
One thing that really has surpassed me is the level of unity amongst the party. This is absolutely vital to convince people because as we have seen with the Tories, disunity is very bad news.