Kevin De Bruyne

WhoDaGOAT

While I think he's very good, I think his presence doesn't help Silva.

It's hard to get the optimum level from ever player, I guess.

izec

While I think he's very good, I think his presence doesn't help Silva.

It's hard to get the optimum level from ever player, I guess.
Silva was fine, he has a new role, controlling more centrally and spraying passes. I thought Silva and KDB were their best players today with Fernandinho. Basically the midfield 3.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
He is a very good player. We allowed him to play, which does not make us very smart. Mourinho is rightly pissed off with one or two of our players. But he should also be pissed off with our forwards for allowing their defence and goalkeeper measuring their kicks from defence, which is how he scored their first goal.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
If Mourinho insists on playing 4-2-3-1 and with a #10, then he should just watch a few tapes of KdB's performance today for what he should be buying. Masterclass in playing between the lines.

He probably had more individual good moments in this one game as a #10 than Rooney has in 5-6 matches as a #10, and herein lies some of the problem we have.

WhoDaGOAT

Silva was fine, he has a new role, controlling more centrally and spraying passes. I thought Silva and KDB were their best players today with Fernandinho. Basically the midfield 3.
He has always controlled games and played the killer passes to boot. I believe he's a better playmaker than De Bruyne who is a master of end product; whether it be from set-pieces or through his finishing. De Bruyne, Özil and Coutinho are these moderns attacking midfielders who provide great moments instead of dictating the play for long periods, which I think is the hardest thing to do in football. Silva is more akin to an old school playmaker like Zidane.

I prefer Silva, but respect what De Bruyne can offer.

Distracted Steward

He has always controlled games and played the killer passes to boot. I believe he's a better playmaker than De Bruyne who is a master of end product; whether it be from set-pieces or through his finishing. De Bruyne, Özil and Coutinho are these moderns attacking midfielders who provide great moments instead of dictating the play for long periods, which I think is the hardest thing to do in football. Silva is more akin to an old school playmaker like Zidane.

I prefer Silva, but respect what De Bruyne can offer.
If he's not already, I think De Bruyne is going to be better than Silva was a couple seasons ago at his peak.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Reminded me of the vibrant and skillful Lee Sharpe at his best.

Despite suffering becuase of him, I even enjoyed KDB's performance, it was that good.

Admitted he was aided by the space we have him but he ruthlessly exploited that gift.

He will thrive under Guardiola and get even better. As much as one can as a United fan, I'm looking forward to seeing him develop this season.

buckooo1978

If Mourinho insists on playing 4-2-3-1 and with a #10, then he should just watch a few tapes of KdB's performance today for what he should be buying. Masterclass in playing between the lines.

He probably had more individual good moments in this one game as a #10 than Rooney has in 5-6 matches as a #10, and herein lies some of the problem we have.
Nail on head - The weight on his passing is great

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
And someone laughed at him being picked ahead of Ozil. The latter is a better passer, no doubt, but De Bruyne's incisive movement is something else

SuperiorXI

Such a shame that city have him, he is an excellent player. Very, very dangerous. He is the kind of player you need to have at the forefront of your thoughts when coming up with a tactic to beat city, however they have many players like that. But I think he is the best one they have.

The fact is had we contained him, I think we probably would have won.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Very skilled player obviously but one thing amazing about him is he always seems to know exactly how much time he has. Combine that with excellent decision making and you have a brilliant player.

Mkhitarian looks similar to him and I rate him highly, but he still thinks he has much more time on the ball than he actually has.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This is how you want your big name/money attacking signings to work out. Hopefully Pogba (semi attacking) and Mkhitarian work out in a similar manner,

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
He showed last season that he was quality too. This is nothing new. He had flashes of brilliance at the Euros but Belgium were shambles.

He has the best delivery from open play in England and maybe the best in the world right now. He just does not ever miss the target. He literally scores, hits the post or is on target or slightly off everytime. Like Scholes and Lampard.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
And I'd even add they made each other better.
They dovetailed really well together, I think if Guardiola gets the balance right this city team should get to the latter stages of the CL, I really like what he's doing with city.

Sam M

Nothing against Pogba, but KDB looked more like a 89m player yesterday than him to be honest
Kdb was crap in this fixture last season, Rojo held him with lock and key, perhaps we should give our player some time.
In all seriousness, he was very good, and has a real edge to his game, with accurate shooting, dangerous passes and crosses.
Him or Oezil? I can't decide.

Zoo

Nothing against Pogba, but KDB looked more like a 89m player yesterday than him to be honest
He didn't look like a big money signing in this corresponding fixture last season when Marcos Rojo had him in his pocket. It can happen.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
He didn't look like a big money signing in this corresponding fixture last season when Marcos Rojo had him in his pocket. It can happen.
It can, but that was more due to the role De Bruyne was playing and Pellegrini's shoddy tactics imo. De Bruyne played to his strengths today and it showed.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I prefer KDB and if I could have one it'd be him, but it's not fair to compare two players over 1 match, different styles of players too

Sam M

It can, but that was more due to the role De Bruyne was playing and Pellegrini's shoddy tactics imo. De Bruyne played to his strengths today and it showed.
And you can neatly switch that logic to govern Pogba yesterday I would imagine.

RooneyLegend

His ability to spot spaces in the oppositions defensive set up is sensational, and his ball striking reminds me of Zidane. Sadly he doesn't have the great frenchmans skill or he'd be well on his way to all time greatness.

Eddy_JukeZ

He's a very good player, but as usual there's a lot of kneejerking going on.
True. In the same fixture last season, Rojo managed to take him completely out of the game. He was arguably worse than Pogba in his derby debut.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
His ability to spot spaces in the oppositions defensive set up is sensational, and his ball striking reminds me of Zidane. Sadly he doesn't have the great frenchmans skill or he'd be well on his way to all time greatness.
Nah, having the skills wouldn't be enough to be considered among the all time greats. You need to combine it with prestigious trophies. Despite his talent, he still has so so much to accomplish

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Reminded me of the vibrant and skillful Lee Sharpe at his best.

Despite suffering becuase of him, I even enjoyed KDB's performance, it was that good.

Admitted he was aided by the space we have him but he ruthlessly exploited that gift.

He will thrive under Guardiola and get even better. As much as one can as a United fan, I'm looking forward to seeing him develop this season.
I hated every second of it and felt like my bowels were turning to water every time he touched the ball :D. I agree with the sentiment though and I see where you're coming from with the Sharpe comparison although I remember Sharpe as a faster, more orthodox winger as opposed to de Bruyne's roving attacker/playmaker type. I do see similarities though with that knack for clever touches in and around the box and moreover that sense that something dangerous is going to happen every time they pick up the ball in the final third.