g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Khvicha Kvaratskhelia | Napoli Player

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I get that, but this guy isn't a patch on Ronaldo (either Ronnie), Maradona et al yet.

Those players had an advanced reputation which got into the defenders Psyche, this guy isn't at that level yet, he's had less then a season in Serie A.
The proof as to his true ability will be how he performs next season in a) a different team, one that isn't as dominant as Napoli are in a weaker than usual Italian league or b) a Napoli team who lose a few key players.

If he follows the same trajectory and puts in similar numbers then yes he deserves the comparisons to those types of players, but we have seen this countless times, player comes from relative obscurity where he was doing a decent job to have an incredible breakout season, only to then fizzle out.
How can you say he hasn't got 'that' when it's clear and apparent defenders are terrified of him? I'm saying that sincerely because his reputation and ability is growing but already proceeding him as his catalogue of ridiculous plays, assists and goals grow. It's obviously exponential and he's not solidified as the real deal yet, but he's not taken a miss-step on that path yet and absolutely everyone knows it'll cost an astronomical amount to pry him from Napoli because of what he's doing and how he's doing it.

The flash in the pan and one season wonder stuff would be more a metric of mentality than ability, but we're talking about his ability to make swathes of defenders look like amateurs because they can't process what's happening in the space of time it's happening in. I'd wager (well it always happens) that contingencies will soon be reserved solely for his threat - that point where he is honoured to be in the company of player the opposition put 2 and 3 players on just to contain, all with their briefs on where and what to do. Of course, we can reassess at that point in time and see how he handles that, but we can't mark him down for events that haven't happened yet.

I get what you're saying, within a bubble, but at the same time, there's got to be acknowledgement of what is happening right now, this season, and to that end, this guy has been one of the star performers in the whole of Europe, who's star might shine further still as we enter the latter stages of the CL. I'll say, unreservedly, that if he carries this performance level over to the bigger games in that competition, he will be bona-fide and ratified (by interested parties) as one of the best players active, period. Akin to Bale and what his breakout season ushered in.

For now, the ride he's providing is about the most entertaining in the game right now.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
How can you say he hasn't got 'that' when it's clear and apparent defenders are terrified of him? I'm saying that sincerely because his reputation and ability is growing but already proceeding him as his catalogue of ridiculous plays, assists and goals grow. It's obviously exponential and he's not solidified as the real deal yet, but he's not taken a miss-step on that path yet and absolutely everyone knows it'll cost an astronomical amount to pry him from Napoli because of what he's doing and how he's doing it.

The flash in the pan and one season wonder stuff would be more a metric of mentality than ability, but we're talking about his ability to make swathes of defenders look like amateurs because they can't process what's happening in the space of time it's happening in. I'd wager (well it always happens) that contingencies will soon be reserved solely for his threat - that point where he is honoured to be in the company of player the opposition put 2 and 3 players on just to contain, all with their briefs on where and what to do. Of course, we can reassess at that point in time and see how he handles that, but we can't mark him down for events that haven't happened yet.

I get what you're saying, within a bubble, but at the same time, there's got to be acknowledgement of what is happening right now, this season, and to that end, this guy has been one of the star performers in the whole of Europe, who's star might shine further still as we enter the latter stages of the CL. I'll say, unreservedly, that if he carries this performance level over to the bigger games in that competition, he will be bona-fide and ratified (by interested parties) as one of the best players active, period. Akin to Bale and what his breakout season ushered in.

For now, the ride he's providing is about the most entertaining in the game right now.
Rashford had much better stats than this guy, I don't see the clamour to claim him as Messi/Maradona reincarnate.

It's crazy how players get hyped up these days.

Interesting to see his numbers in the Russian league, maybe, just maybe, he's playing in a team flying high with confidence and he's riding that wave.

Hold on with the hyperbole, and let's just see how he develops next season before we claim he's the best in the world.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Rashford had much better stats than this guy, I don't see the clamour to claim him as Messi/Maradona reincarnate.

It's crazy how players get hyped up these days.

Interesting to see his numbers in the Russian league, maybe, just maybe, he's playing in a team flying high with confidence and he's riding that wave.

Hold on with the hyperbole, and let's just see how he develops next season before we claim he's the best in the world.
Clubs will determine the level of regard and projection by how much they are willing to put down to acquire him.

You point out he’s in a team that’s flying, omitting he is the catalyst for them flying.

Never in Rashford’s career has he displayed the level or consistency in the attribute of dribbling. Rashford has also always been utilised as a forward; he should have better stats for that reason alone before anything else is factored. On top of that, Rashford literally never utilises the outside as his whole game revolves around cutting in and shooting. The only point of comparison to this point in time is the nominal position, after that they branch off emphatically; compare the player to those like him for an objective analysis.

What hyperbole do you perceive there to be?

Champ

Clubs will determine the level of regard and projection by how much they are willing to put down to acquire him.

You point out he’s in a team that’s flying, omitting he is the catalyst for them flying.

Never in Rashford’s career has he displayed the level or consistency in the attribute of dribbling. Rashford has also always been utilised as a forward; he should have better stats for that reason alone before anything else is factored. On top of that, Rashford literally never utilises the outside as his whole game revolves around cutting in and shooting. The only point of comparison to this point in time is the nominal position, after that they branch off emphatically; compare the player to those like him for an objective analysis.

What hyperbole do you perceive there to be?
The fact that you are bringing comparisons with Maradona, Messi and Ronaldo (9).
The true greats of the game.

This guy had had a solid and impressive two thirds of a season in his career so far, let's steady on and settle down a bit before we go full Januzaj here.

Is he the sole reason Napoli flying, or do they have a brilliant defender, top striker and a very good system to fall back on as well?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Quite remarkable that this is his first season in a European top league and it doesn't seem like he needed to "adapt" or anything. Just instant impact.

Will be interesting to see how he develops. So far I think he can be proud of his impact but have to realise Napoli is a well-oiled machine and everyone in that team is playing a good season. And I'd argue Kim and Osimhen are just as vital now for Napoli.

Chief123

This guy is the real deal. Will be smashing it at one of Europe’s top clubs soon. Would love to see him in the prem.

Champ

How many players can you say are the sole reason their team are doing as well as Napoli are?
I'm not sure I fully understand the question?!

But Napoli aren't where they are because of one player, they are where they are because they are greater than the sum of their parts, they are working seamlessly together.
It's a similar situation at Arsenal, they work well as a team.
Napoli are also lucky that the competition in Serie a this season is much reduced from previous years, Inter, Milan, Juve and Roma have all stood still, the only team to have improved in the competition is Lazio.

Hence why I'm saying chill with the superlatives and hyperbole until next year, if he does the same in Napoli or another team then yes fair enough, but to compare someone who has 11 goals in 28 matches to Maradona is just bizarre.

Theonas

Scout
I'm not sure I fully understand the question?!

But Napoli aren't where they are because of one player, they are where they are because they are greater than the sum of their parts, they are working seamlessly together.
It's a similar situation at Arsenal, they work well as a team.
Napoli are also lucky that the competition in Serie a this season is much reduced from previous years, Inter, Milan, Juve and Roma have all stood still, the only team to have improved in the competition is Lazio.

Hence why I'm saying chill with the superlatives and hyperbole until next year, if he does the same in Napoli or another team then yes fair enough, but to compare someone who has 11 goals in 28 matches to Maradona is just bizarre.
The point of my question was that just because a team is working seamlessly together as you put it, does not necessarily mean individual quality can't shine. You mention Arsenal who are a good example and I would say still that Saka is a brilliant player. Only Real Madrid out of the top teams in Europe rely on individual quality more than having a team dynamic that elevate the individual quality of their players in my view. Provided with the right support, Khvicha can be unplayable and unless your name is Mbappé or Vinicius, I'd say everyone needs said support in the modern game.

Champ

The point of my question was that just because a team is working seamlessly together as you put it, does not necessarily mean individual quality can't shine. You mention Arsenal who are a good example and I would say still that Saka is a brilliant player. Only Real Madrid out of the top teams in Europe rely on individual quality more than having a team dynamic that elevate the individual quality of their players in my view. Provided with the right support, Khvicha can be unplayable and unless your name is Mbappé or Vinicius, I'd say everyone needs said support in the modern game.
Have I said he is anything other than a good player??

People in here are trying to compare him to fecking Maradona, he is no where fecking near that standard yet, it's embarrassing quite frankly.

That's my point and that's all I need to say on the matter.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Have I said he is anything other than a good player??

People in here are trying to compare him to fecking Maradona, he is no where fecking near that standard yet, it's embarrassing quite frankly.

That's my point and that's all I need to say on the matter.
I think you're inventing this "compared to Maradona" stuff. I haven't seen anyone actually compare him to Maradona. What people have said though is that great players can make defenders look stupid, in the context of Atalanta's defending for Kvara's goal. That's why they're great players. Even those not named Messi or Maradona.

Everyone knew what Robben wanted to do and yet he did this cut inside thing over and over again.

For what it's worth, I sympathize with your caution about his true quality on the long-term and whether he can replicate it in a different team/league.

kaku06

Vulgarian
If there is one winger who is worth £100m, it’s him. Watching serie A for many years and I don’t think I have seen a more sure thing than him and that includes Osimhen, Leao, Vlahovic etc, even Salah when he was with Roma. As an example just from serie A, he reminds me of Nedved.

Champ

I think you're inventing this "compared to Maradona" stuff. I haven't seen anyone actually compare him to Maradona. What people have said though is that great players can make defenders look stupid, in the context of Atalanta's defending for Kvara's goal. That's why they're great players. Even those not named Messi or Maradona.

Everyone knew what Robben wanted to do and yet he did this cut inside thing over and over again.

For what it's worth, I sympathize with your caution about his true quality on the long-term and whether he can replicate it in a different team/league.
Good players have tendency of making the opposing defence look shite, we already know that after having watched the mardona and Messies of this world.

That's what was said. He's being mentioned by people in here as on par with Messi and Maradona.
I know this forum is kneejerk, but this is an insane comment.

Is he a great player, or is he just in good form in a team firing on all cylinders?

His form in Russia may point to this being a one of season, however my point is next season is the kicker when a)Napoli are weaker, or b) he's at a different team and still doing the same.

kaku06

Vulgarian
Just thinking who needs him and could afford him. In Europe, Bayern have many wingers. Madrid have Vinicius. Barca are all levers. Doesn’t make sense for him to go to atletico. Other Italian clubs are broke. PSG’s game is over if Qatar end up buying us.

We have Rashford in that position otherwise he would have an amazing signing for us. Chelsea just signed Mudryk. Arsenal have Martinelli. Liverpool have Diaz and just signed gakpo. Spurs, why would he go to spurs? That leaves only city who can afford him and doesn’t have anyone like him. Gucci grealish is meh and they do need a winger or two. And I would absolutely hate it if city go for him.

I say if Qatar owns us and we are allowed to spend then break the bank for him. Rashford and him can switch the wings during games.

Kvaratskhelia. Kane. Rashford.

Last edited:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The fact that you are bringing comparisons with Maradona, Messi and Ronaldo (9).
The true greats of the game.

This guy had had a solid and impressive two thirds of a season in his career so far, let's steady on and settle down a bit before we go full Januzaj here.

Is he the sole reason Napoli flying, or do they have a brilliant defender, top striker and a very good system to fall back on as well?
I think you need to re-read my posts if that’s your takeaway - I refer to elite dribblers because they are the easiest to make the point with, I also only mentioned Ronaldo directly in relation to keepers; I’ve also said:

“Long story short: I think there comes a dribbling level where you can't look at it through the same lens as merely good or competent dribbling and the countermeasures for that - there comes a level where freezing and humiliation is rife, and this guy is doing everything asked of him thus far to suggest he belongs in that tier. He looks like the best dribbler on the planet this season, so I don't think it's a surprise that he's making comedic turns of swathes of defenders to this point in time.”

”I'm saying that sincerely because his reputation and ability is growing but already proceeding him as his catalogue of ridiculous plays, assists and goals grow. It's obviously exponential and he's not solidified as the real deal yet, but he's not taken a miss-step on that path yet and absolutely everyone knows it'll cost an astronomical amount to pry him from Napoli because of what he's doing and how he's doing it.”

“I'd wager (well it always happens) that contingencies will soon be reserved solely for his threat - that point where he is honoured to be in the company of player the opposition put 2 and 3 players on just to contain, all with their briefs on where and what to do. Of course, we can reassess at that point in time and see how he handles that, but we can't mark him down for events that haven't happened yet.”

So, what you seem to be taking from these posts isn’t being written in the sense you’re suggesting.

And he is the catalyst in that side who will fetch the most money - it’s not a revelation; he’s one of the best players in Europe this season who could still add notches to his growing reputation and standing.

Last edited:

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
He’ll go to City If he comes to the prem. They’ll flog off one of their wingers like Mahrez or Silva to make way for him. City fans will treat him as a **** figure like they did with that other Georgian guy they had in the 90’s.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Good players have tendency of making the opposing defence look shite, we already know that after having watched the mardona and Messies of this world.

That's what was said. He's being mentioned by people in here as on par with Messi and Maradona.
I know this forum is kneejerk, but this is an insane comment.

Is he a great player, or is he just in good form in a team firing on all cylinders?

His form in Russia may point to this being a one of season, however my point is next season is the kicker when a)Napoli are weaker, or b) he's at a different team and still doing the same.
My comparisons was hyperbolic sure but the point stands, atalanta are a pretty decent side all things considered, currently reside in the serie a top 6 and their defence is slightly better than average, what that clipped showed is not necessarily shambolic defending but more likely than not coming up against a dribbling mastreo who has been on fire this entire season who if keeping his form will become one of the best if not the best player of this generation.

Also I'd say his talent is undeniable, the sheer quality he's showing is just beyond him being a one season wonder and I doubt there's any precedent for a player being this good an then flopping ( injuries and of field problems notwithstanding ).

Fer

Just thinking who needs him and could afford him. In Europe, Bayern have many wingers. Madrid have Vinicius. Barca are all levers. Doesn’t make sense for him to go to atletico. Other Italian clubs are broke. PSG’s game is over if Qatar end up buying us.

We have Rashford in that position otherwise he would have an amazing signing for us. Chelsea just signed Mudryk. Arsenal have Martinelli. Liverpool have Diaz and just signed gakpo. Spurs, why would he go to spurs? That leaves only city who can afford him and doesn’t have anyone like him. Gucci grealish is meh and they do need a winger or two. And I would absolutely hate it if city go for him.

I say if Qatar owns us and we are allowed to spend then break the bank for him. Rashford and him can switch the wings during games.

Kvaratskhelia. Kane. Rashford.
I think he will sign for Madrid. He can switch the wings with Vinicius (like you said with Rashford). Unfortunately, he could sign for City if he decides to come to the premier league.
We have other priorities like: Striker and a Midfielder. Also, we could sign a cover for Casemiro, a Goalkeeper, rightback and CB before signing another winger.

Champ

Is he though?
Course he is, he doesn't play for United.

The general rule of thumb is that any player not playing for United is inherently twenty times better than those who are.
Despite actual evidence to the contrary.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
He’s a top player. Hope he doesn’t come to the prem unless it’s to sign for us obviously. Would hate to see him at a rival team.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He’s better than anything we have got, including rashford. (Who is elite and I love).
I don’t think he is. Napoli have a very good team. Their midfield is better than ours and that helps Kvaratskhelia a lot.

Bwuk

He’ll go to City If he comes to the prem. They’ll flog off one of their wingers like Mahrez or Silva to make way for him. City fans will treat him as a **** figure like they did with that other Georgian guy they had in the 90’s.
I'd be very worried if that happens, as Kvara is miles ahead of Grealish.

Kvara - Haaland - Foden is a very strong front 3.

bosskeano

Thierry Henry yesterday in the prematch build up of the City match said this guy is easily the most exciting young attacking player in europe right now....said he loves watching the guy play b/c he's so good with the ball at his feet

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Georgi Kinklandze

marktan

Serie A defences are weaker than the premier League, but not as weak as say Bundesliga.

I think he'd struggle a little bit due to the lack of acceleration, but he has a great ability to beat players with shifts and tricks. More to that, he has excellent close control, can come up with some phenomenal plays in tight spaces and of course a good final ball.

The player i'd actually compare him most to currently is Grealish.

Ekeke

Serie A defences are weaker than the premier League, but not as weak as say Bundesliga.

I think he'd struggle a little bit due to the lack of acceleration, but he has a great ability to beat players with shifts and tricks. More to that, he has excellent close control, can come up with some phenomenal plays in tight spaces and of course a good final ball.

With a much bigger goal threat maybe.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The way people praise him - feels like the kind of player we should have gotten for the Sancho money. With Sancho and Antony that’s a lot of money spent for not enough output (yet).

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Henry said he is doing some sort of news piece about this kid before the CL match today
Doesn't surprise me; he's the talk of Europe, and for good reason.

If he has a stellar run from now until the end of Napoli's CL run, the cat will be well and truly out the bag in terms of his name.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
The way people praise him - feels like the kind of player we should have gotten for the Sancho money. With Sancho and Antony that’s a lot of money spent for not enough output (yet).
Sancho was getting incredible praise too before you signed him.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
It's quite telling who's club have and not had dealings with the Napoli president just by this thread.

He's going nowhere until he's got 2 years left on his contract at the absolute earliest, and even then it would be an absolute painful saga.

Last edited:

mav_9me

Ironic how our best attackers are academy products, while 150m £ attackers haven't done much.

Vapor trail

He's very similar to Grealish but Grealish's best output was in a free role at Villa. Kvaratskhelia is doing it in a more refined role being wide and coming inside. When a player possess very good close control the relativity of defences in a given league is not as important. Saka also lacks acceleration but he uses angles to turn defenders inside out. I much rather prefer these types of players as opposed to faster wingers who can often come unstuck when working against a low block defence.