Kick It Out Campaign Row

SirAF

Ageist
Gotta say I disagree with Sir Alex on this one, which is extremely rare. Rio has every right to protest, and I can' really see that this is putting the club in a bad light in any way.

Chelsea letting Terry keep the armband, however, that is putting a club in a bad light..

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
I can certainly understand Ferguson's opinion that everyone should unite behind the campaign, but it's not for him to be so critical of those who might feel differently, especially to do so in such a seemingly dismissive fashion.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
He's dropped a bollock with that one.

Disgraceful comments and should be condemned.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Ferguson's way out of line here. An elderly white man can't be telling a young black man how he should be handling racism, it's ludicrous. Hopefully he'll take a step back and see a bit of sense on this.
Hopefully David Gill is awake to this potential situation; he might have a role to play to settle Fergie down before this goes too far.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Hopefully David Gill is awake to this potential situation; he might have a role to play to settle Fergie down before this goes too far.
I suspect the new Vice-Chairman of the FA which funds the Kick It Out Campaign will be backing Fergie on this one.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
...its about a united front. disagree with the gaffer. but do what he says.
:lol::lol::lol:

feck off, his brother has been racially abused and the FA have handled the entire situation with kid gloves despite their anti-racism campaign. Fergie can do one, Rio has all the right in the world to protest.

Boohoo Fergie's feelings are hurt, how the feck do you think the Ferdinand family feel?

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
It won't go too far, christ SAF will talk to Rio and if he feels Rio has a valid reason that will be it. I don't that SAF is going to reprimand Rio as severely as some people think.

ArmchairCritic

feck off, his brother has been racially abused and the FA have handled the entire situation with kid gloves despite their anti-racism campaign. Fergie can do one, Rio has all the right in the world to protest.

Boohoo Fergie's feelings are hurt, how the feck do you think the Ferdinand family feel?
So why hasn't Rio retired from Int'l Football officially if he doesn't like how the FA deal with racism, surely that's a stronger statement?

Drainy

Terry's ban was too light, but other than that I don't really know what else they were supposed to do since there were criminal proceedings they needed to wait to be concluded.

I doubt Sir Alex's feelings are hurt, it's a matter of asserting his authority over his players.

Man-United

Reading boss Brian McDermott stood firmly behind Roberts.

"Jason has had a very strong view of it and I respect Jason's view," he told Sky Sports News. "It was important to him what he did today. I 100 per cent back him."

That's how it's done.

AVARiCE

I suspect the new Vice-Chairman of the FA which funds the Kick It Out Campaign will be backing Fergie on this one.
The CEO of Manchester United which gains its funds via the operations that Sr Alex Ferguson oversees won't be happy with his main asset putting himself in the firing line over an issue of pride.

It won't go too far, christ SAF will talk to Rio and if he feels Rio has a valid reason that will be it. I don't that SAF is going to reprimand Rio as severely as some people think.
Since when was Sir Alex allowed to punish someone for doing what they believe in? The mother of all hypocrisies here is that Sir Alex gave this little soundbite to the BBC, of all organisations.

---

For what it's worth, I think Sir Alex has been bang out of order here. Credit to him because, in my 20 years of life, I've never felt this against a statement the great man's said. That highlights how fantastic he is usually. On this one though, he's out of order, doing himself no favours, doing the club no favours and completely going against the things he stands for and the things he preaches. This is disappointing, to say the least.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
So why hasn't Rio retired from Int'l Football officially if he doesn't like how the FA deal with racism, surely that's a stronger statement?
Probably cause the racist dick retired first.

Lest we forget, Rio was left out by Hodgson and the FA to placate the racist bastard. But perhaps Rio feels that he's actually representing his entire country and not just a corrupt bunch of cocks who lack the constitution to stand behind an anti-racism campaign when their Brave Lion is involved.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
I'm sure the many people involved in the Kick It Out campaign have worked long and hard to achieve their goals and there is probably only so much influence they have over the various FA's.
If they have a problem with the campaign why not actively help it out behind the scenes and try and use their voice to make the campaign a bit tougher.

It helps nobody to publicly boycott it. It would be more worthwhile to support it and use their voice within the organisation to try and make changes.

We know they are funded and supported by the FA etc. but how big of a voice do they actually have in regards to making changes and punishments/fines?

ArmchairCritic

"Jason has had a very strong view of it and I respect Jason's view," he told Sky Sports News. "It was important to him what he did today. I 100 per cent back him."

That's how it done.
Right but Rio might not have discussed this with SAF beforehand and before SAF had made his comments in the media. SAF looked silly then and probably looked sillier after Rio did the same thing which is probably why he's ticked off, it doesn't mean that he and Rio can't talk about it like adults and SAF can empathise with Rio does it?

Spoony

The People's President

That's how it done.
Yep. No one idea why Fergie's so vehemently opposed to Rio and Roberts' stance. Sure, disagree, but not to point where you're out of your depth.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
I doubt Sir Alex's feelings are hurt, it's a matter of asserting his authority over his players.
How fecking egomaniacal do you have to be to not support a player who is standing up against racism and for his family all over the fact that you said your players would wear a t-shirt.

Remember when we all laughed at Liverpool for wearing t-shirts?

It's a fecking t-shirt. And he's threatening Rio over not wearing a t-shirt.

It's almost Chris Morris stuff.

AVARiCE

:confused:

Not retiring is the stronger statement.

Compare:

"I'm black, have been crapped on many times but will still be available should my country come calling because that's what I believe."

To:

"I'm white, got away with murder many times but called it quits as soon as something stuck because I'm bigger than my country."

Who do you think is the bigger man there?

ArmchairCritic

Since when was Sir Alex allowed to punish someone for doing what they believe in? The mother of all hypocrisies here is that Sir Alex gave this little soundbite to the BBC, of all organisations.
Stop overanalysing a quote, SAF is a hypocrite yes but he's not a dictator I am sure him and Rio will discuss it and reach a common ground.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
The CEO of Manchester United which gains its funds via the operations that Sr Alex Ferguson oversees won't be happy with his main asset putting himself in the firing line over an issue of pride.
The FA are probably most impacted by this than the club. I think Gill also has to prioritise his role with the FA over United if there is a direct conflict.

For what it's worth, I think Sir Alex has been bang out of order here. Credit to him because, in my 20 years of life, I've never felt this against a statement the great man's said. That highlights how fantastic he is usually. On this one though, he's out of order, doing himself no favours, doing the club no favours and completely going against the things he stands for and the things he preaches. This is disappointing, to say the least.
I think he is doing a campaign that has worked generally well for the past 20 years (your whole life) a good service. I suspect he genuinely believes in the campaign as he can remember what happened in the game before.

ArmchairCritic

:confused:

Not retiring is the stronger statement.

Compare:

"I'm black, have been crapped on many times but will still be available should my country come calling because that's what I believe."

To:

"I'm white, got away with murder many times but called it quits as soon as something stuck because I'm bigger than my country."

Who do you think is the bigger man there?
It's not though, it doesn't highlight the issue at all. Only those with conscience will see it. Has anyone in the media railed against the FA on this, whilst they were all busy ripping Serbia's behaviour they totally ignored it took them a fecking year to deal with Terry. For me Rio retiring and releasing a statement outlining his reasons why would have helped him and the cause he's fighting for.

NJ1979

I think he is doing a campaign that has worked generally well for the past 20 years (your whole life) a good service. I suspect he genuinely believes in the campaign as he can remember what happened in the game before.
I don't doubt that he believes in the campaign, he's just not seeing the picture. Bottom line is that a seventy something white man telling his black subordinate how he should or shouldn't deal with racism is just a horrendous, horrendous misjudgment, no matter how well intentioned.

AVARiCE

Stop overanalysing a quote, SAF is a hypocrite yes but he's not a dictator I am sure him and Rio will discuss it and reach a common ground.
I'm sure they will but it'll be Sir Alex who compromises with Rio as there's no reason for Rio to back down on this. Let's say this gets stupidly out of hand, all it takes is for Rio to go public and Sir Alex gets it in the neck. It's a stupid decision from him as a manager.

You're forgetting, somewhat conveniently, that Sir Alex is famed for backing his players publically. Sir Alex is going all out here to put his public backing behind the organisation -- or at least I'm sure that's how he sees it -- but at a stupid expense and something he should've seen coming.

He's written the story for the ABUs and he's gone against a lot of his own principles to do so. Have you ever seen so many people be almost unanimous against Sir Alex's actions before?

The FA are probably most impacted by this than the club. I think Gill also has to prioritise his role with the FA over United if there is a direct conflict.
Publically, yes. Privately, different matter.

Completely agree, they do a great job. That doesn't mean they're beyond criticism. They've done a fantastic job (assuming we attribute the credit wholly to them as opposed to societal changes) but protecting against complacency is also fair. Honestly speaking, they've been far too silent on this issue (compare the stance of the organisation against black players) and it's good they're being called out on it. They're playing politics and that's not how an organisation like that should be run.

ArmchairCritic

I'm sure they will but it'll be Sir Alex who compromises with Rio as there's no reason for Rio to back down on this. Let's say this gets stupidly out of hand, all it takes is for Rio to go public and Sir Alex gets it in the neck. It's a stupid decision from him as a manager.

You're forgetting, somewhat conveniently, that Sir Alex is famed for backing his players publically. Sir Alex is going all out here to put his public backing behind the organisation -- or at least I'm sure that's how he sees it -- but at a stupid expense and something he should've seen coming.

He's written the story for the ABUs and he's gone against a lot of his own principles to do so. Have you ever seen so many people be almost unanimous against Sir Alex's actions before?
I am not forgetting anything conveniently, SAF could come out next week and say he was in the wrong. With Gill being Vice-Chairman of the FA there's an interesting dynamic to all this. I am surprised SAF aired Rio out like that but as I have said in a roundabout way he's helped Rio.

Cold_Boy

fecking Fergal!! Sack him! Sack him now!

Anyways I don't understand what not wearing the shirts achieve. You could wear the shirts and still do something more for the issue.

Yeah but Fergie shouldn't comment much against the players too.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I think Fergie is correct. I don't see the point in players abandoning the campaign. Not wearing a t-shirt won't achieve anything really.

Is always a work in progress. Rio needs to tell his story in a proper manner. Immature tweets and refusal to wear a shirt is not the right way to go about things.

He would do far more good if he did a revealing interview with a paper or TV station and expressed his concerns.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Let's draw a comparison here shall we?

Unless they are actually accusing Kick It Out of being complicit in the attitudes of Uefa or the Indepent Commission, this is like refusimg to wear a UNICEF shirt because of offences commited by another branch of the UN. Would people advocate that?

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
I think Fergie is correct. I don't see the point in players abandoning the campaign. Not wearing a t-shirt won't achieve anything really.

Is always a work in progress. Rio needs to tell his story in a proper manner. Immature tweets and refusal to wear a shirt is not the right way to go about things.

He would do far more good if he did a revealing interview with a paper or TV station and expressed his concerns.
I agree. If they have an issue with the campaign why not try and help them get a more influential voice. There is good people working there so why not help them rather than undermining their work.

The organization might not be achieving what a lot of people would like them to achieve but protesting against them is no way of improving the situation

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
We live in a sorry and ignorant world if we need a kick out racism campaign to not be racist.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Rio protesting against the campaign might actually create more awareness of the campaign.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
Rio protesting against the campaign might actually create more awareness of the campaign.
Exactly. It has already got people talking about it far more than it would do on a normal matchday weekend. Many people will Google the campaign as it has been in the news, and if they also don't feel that it has done enough for the expulsion of racism from the game then they will also spur the campaign on.

I really can't get my head around Ferguson's stance with this, to the point where he describes his player's actions as "embarrassing". It's truly bizarre.

Varun

Staff
Good to see people here calling out SAF on this. The usual manager knows best attitude by some is very irritating. He has no right to tell Roberts or Rio what to do and is out of line here. You cannot have a campaign about it and then do feckall when incidents happen. What sort of a message does it send out when people found guilty of racism are given 4 match bans? Its a farce.

Players actively not supporting it will make the entire point stronger, specially when its high profile players like Rio.

I know you dont like Rio much but its stupid to say SAF is right here. What gives him the right to tell Roberts what to do? He's not even his manager. Even Rio. They clearly feel more strongly about whats being done than the rest and are doing what they think is right.

Sir Alex specially has always stood up against the norms, complained about stuff, protested when he believes in something, etc. Its very hypocritical and surprising to ask players to toe the line even when they clearly dont agree with it.

Regarding the full on media interview regarding the issue, had Rio done that, people will be up here saying he should focus on the football etc etc.

RK

It's a strange issue. Not supporting the campaign makes no sense, but the publicity raised does make sense, so in a roundabout way it's worked. Though I'm reluctant to credit a footballer (especially Rio...) for having this deliberate aim given some of the general quotes around the issue.

Sir Alex is probably in the wrong here, but it's good that United fans can see that. Sticks two fingers up at the people saying United fans would defend their manager had the Suarez-Evra situation been reversed, amongst similar comments.