Kick It Out Campaign Row

prateik

Time for our players to get some Rio 5 shirts printed.
Team Rio.

Ash_G

Think Fergie has taken a really odd stance here. You could sense trouble brewing yesterday when he effectively condemned Roberts and didn't seem to be aware of the rumours that Rio would do the same thing. He could have brushed it off by just saying he was surprised by it but he respects it's Rio's choice or something. But he really seems to have made the situation even worse. End of the day most of us probably don't know what it's like to be racially abused and I'm sure a lot of players like Rio have experienced it over the years without always making it public, so it's hard to take such a strong stance on their actions, then throw in that the most high profile of cases recently happened to Rio's brother, and potentially led to Rio missing the last international tournament he could have gone too. I think Fergie has shown a lack of empathy here.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I really can't get my head around Ferguson's stance with this, to the point where he describes his player's actions as "embarrassing". It's truly bizarre.
It's embarrassing to SAF because he actually said all players will be taking part in the campaign. He probably feels undermined.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Was not this weekend supposed to be about Danny Rose and the battle yet to be won generally?

Hey-ho, let"s denigrate Kick It Out instead.

prateik

The FA talk about zero tolerance and do not follow up on it.
Rio is right to be angry about that.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Criticism of a campaign is fair enough. Creating further division merely weakens what was a campaign that has worked effectively in the past.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Lescott apparently hasn't worn the shirt for 5 years. Anyone know why?
Shirt doesn't go over his big alien head.

I'm behind Rio all the way on this, I'm sick to death of Fifa/Uefa/Fa's institutional racism. The lack of empathy shown by these bodies is absurd, a bunch of elite white men telling black men how they should respond and act... the amount of pundits who were bleating on about how the Suarez thing was blown out of proportion and then the twats who come out in the media and say how great a player Terry is and how he needs to put this whole thing behind him.

Just lacks class... they have no idea how the likes of Rio must feel. Quite frankly its a disgrace and Fifa if they had any class would start to come down really hard on this - but it ain't going to happen and racism will continue to exist in the modern game.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Criticism of a campaign is fair enough. Creating further division merely weakens what was a campaign that has worked effectively in the past.
In what way has the campaign been effective.. surely the Suarez and Terry cases illustrate 'Kick it Out' has not had the impact it should've had.. racism has not been made to be as serious an issue as it should be.

prateik

The campaign was to create awareness. If this gets any column inches, it will still create awareness.

Not wearing a shirt was just to make a point which Rio felt needed to be made.

Not wearing the shirt is not the same as opposing the message. I dont see the problem.

FlawlessThaw

In what way has the campaign been effective.. surely the Suarez and Terry cases illustrate 'Kick it Out' has not had the impact it should've had.. racism has not been made to be as serious an issue as it should be.
The campaign has been going on for 20 years. I know there have been other factors but the game in England as a whole is a lot different to when bananas were being thrown at John Barnes. I suspect this is how SAF views it and why he genuinely is for the campaign.

The campaign has failed recently in terms of not being vocal in its criticism of Suarez/Terry yet I would disagree in that racism is not as serious an issue as it should be. Being branded a racist in the game is probably worse than a drug cheat.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
ESPN went as far as running Fergie's quote in full across the screen during the Arsenal game - Sir Alex has given a real gift to the media with this one.

FlawlessThaw

The campaign was to create awareness. If this gets any column inches, it will still create awareness.

Not wearing a shirt was just to make a point which Rio felt needed to be made.

Not wearing the shirt is not the same as opposing the message. I dont see the problem.
High profile players not backing the campaign creates negative awareness however. In any case if it was just about creating awareness, Fergie publically backing and reprimanding a player for not wearing some t-shirt is probably more effective.

Drifter

American
ESPN went as far as running Fergie's quote in full across the screen during the Arsenal game - Sir Alex has given a real gift to the media with this one.
Absolutely agree , this is gold dust to the 24 hr media circus.

AVARiCE

Yet in the two high-profile recent cases wasn't doing its job properly. Thus a kick up the backside was due.

Here we have an organisation set up purely to kick discrimination out of the game being outdone by a group of black players, past and present. I remember Garth Crooks saying more about this on a personal level than from the organisation's position. By that I mean that Garth Crooks, a trustee (unless I'm mistaken), felt fit to speak as Garth Crooks but not as a member of the organisation.

This is a way for people to say "this organisation isn't doing its job and we're not happy about it". Unless a peaceful protest is the wrong way to do that now, too?

High profile players not backing the campaign creates negative awareness however. In any case if it was just about creating awareness, Fergie publically backing and reprimanding a player for not wearing some t-shirt is probably more effective.
Yup, a seventy year old white man telling his junior black employee to shut up and tow the line regarding insitutionalised racism is pretty much the most effective way of dealing with this situation. To do so publically, as opposed to the usual way of dealing with something in-house, is a stroke of sheer genius to boot.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
It all depends on what happened behind the scenes.

If Rio had told SAF he'd wear the shirt and then decided to not do it then it undermines the manager and makes him look a bit silly in the press conference. Hence I can understand why SAF is upset.

If on the otherhand SAF just stated that Rio would be wearing the shirt without consulting Rio then Rio has a right to do whatever he wants.

Either way this is such a petty issue. It's a t-shirt FFS.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The campaign is just a way for the FA to show it's tackling the racism pb from a public POV but the real issues have been dealt softly as it was shown recently.Players should do as they feel, I don't get SAF's criticism of Roberts and Rio.

FlawlessThaw

Yet in the two high-profile recent cases wasn't doing its job properly. Thus a kick up the backside was due.

Here we have an organisation set up purely to kick discrimination out of the game being outdone by a group of black players, past and present. I remember Garth Crooks saying more about this on a personal level than from the organisation's position. By that I mean that Garth Crooks, a trustee (unless I'm mistaken), felt fit to speak as Garth Crooks but not as a member of the organisation.

This is a way for people to say "this organisation isn't doing its job and we're not happy about it". Unless a peaceful protest is the wrong way to do that now, too?

Yup, a seventy year old white man telling his junior black employee to shut up and tow the line regarding insitutionalised racism is pretty much the most effective way of dealing with this situation. To do so publically, as opposed to the usual way of dealing with something in-house, is a stroke of sheer genius to boot.
I think Ferdinand would have been better off going on some show and criticising the show from there on rather than creating further division as he has done and angering his manager. I am not wholly fussed that Rio isn't wearing some t-shirt, merely feel despite his intentions he has done more damage than good.

Not sure why there is any need to bring in Fergie and Rio's race into this. Like I said Fergie clearly believes in the merits of the campaign and fair enough to him as he was around back in the days when racism wasn't just not punished but acceptable part of the game. He's hardly telling Ferdinand to accept racism by wearing a t-shirt which is all about kicking racism out of football and has been effective in the past.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Poor from Fergie. It's Rio's personal choice.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
"Anton Ferdinand, we know what you are..."

"John will continue to be captain of the club." (Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck)

"I am of course disappointed to lose a player of John's international experience and exceptional ability." (England manager Roy Hodgson)

"It is our strong held belief, having gone over the facts of the case, that Luis Suarez did not commit any racist act." (Liverpool FC official statement)

Etc etc etc etc etc.

FlawlessThaw

The John Terry case was appallingly handled. Ferdinand should probably go on his best mate Piers Morgan's show and tell his side of the story in one of those Life Stories show.

togg

Fergie quote about Ferdinand not wearing the shirt

"I am disappointed. I said (on Friday) that the players would be wearing it in support of the PFA and that every player should adhere to it.

"And he goes and lets us down. We will deal with it, don't worry."

Joemo

whistling in the wind
It's embarrassing to SAF because he actually said all players will be taking part in the campaign. He probably feels undermined.
Serves him right for making such outlandish statements before checking whether he had the support of the dressing room. You can't just say stuff like "all our players will support the campaign" when you have black players in your squad, let alone the brother of somebody who has been racially abused!

Brian McDermott's statement is how SAF's should have been, ie. Rio has his own opinion and can express it how he likes.

"He had his reasons. Jason had his view and it was a very strong view. We spoke on Friday and I totally respect his view."

Crumpsall Red

"Anton Ferdinand, we know what you are..."

"John will continue to be captain of the club." (Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck)

"I am of course disappointed to lose a player of John's international experience and exceptional ability." (England manager Roy Hodgson)

"It is our strong held belief, having gone over the facts of the case, that Luis Suarez did not commit any racist act." (Liverpool FC official statement)

Etc etc etc etc etc.
Alex Ferguson 'I am embarrassed by Rio'

All cnuts

FlawlessThaw

McDermott would have backed his player either way. It sounds like Fergie told his players one thing and Rio disagreed.

Crumpsall Red

Fergie quote about Ferdinand not wearing the shirt

"I am disappointed. I said (on Friday) that the players would be wearing it in support of the PFA and that every player should adhere to it.

"And he goes and lets us down. We will deal with it, don't worry."
Who the feck do you think you are Ferguson, RIo is busy trying not to let his race down.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The most important thing (fighting racism) will be completely forgotten by the medias as they'll focus on what SAF gave them on a platter.Very poor form from him to keep it really polite

Crustanoid

SAF alluded to the John Terry situation in the programme today, saying that he hoped [Rio's absence from England - he described it as a 'backwash'] would extend Rio's United career

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Who the feck do you think you are Ferguson, RIo is busy trying not to let his race down.
It's a fecking T-Shirt, people need to stop getting shirty about this. SAF has no right to tell Rio what to do or how to feel/react but Rio could make a better stand IMO.

Varun

Staff
He could call a presser and go full hilt but then people will complain about him getting involved in off field issues and thus affecting the team. The T-shirt is a symbol, a high profile player like Rio not wearing it means a lot.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Regardless of the cause, right or wrongs, choice of clothing and all the media bollocks around it, one question stands above all else: Why the feck has SAF got involved with this?

Say what you will about the man, but he always has motives behind his words. So what is the point of creating this situation? I just don't get the motivation, unless he actually wants to get Rio off the wage book, or is it another case of someone pissing him off (a bit like the horse breeding shit) and him publicly acting out? I just don't get what it's got to do with him and why he'd deliberately give the media a story to run with. Something's definitely up.

LARulz

I don't understand this. Why did SAF do this? He must have known this was going to cause a massive issue. He made a mistake yesterday and I think he knew that and he's not going to back down and seems like he went for broke. Think his pride took a massive dent went Rio said he's not going to wear it. But he must understand this is a personal issue and something he can't force someone to do if they don't agree to the (lack of) action against racism.

I'm also convinced they both would have had a talk about this earlier in the day and both knew what would happen.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
BTW, love the Chelsea players calling Terry "a great guy and captain" after their game and the club saying they won't reveal detail of this so called 'punishment'.

What campaign is speaking out about this? A campaign funded by the FA who have already 'dealt' with this issue?

Whilst I don't completely agree with him, you can see why the likes of Rio is pretty pissed off.

redpie

Ferguson is the only one to blame here. Out of touch.
Even I knew while the boss was laying into Jason Roberts at his Friday press conference that Rio felt the same and was not likely to wear the kick-it out t-shirt either.
Suarez and Terry will be laughing their cocks off about this.