Kim Min-jae | signed for Bayern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chairman Steve

This would be lovely. I hope our chains aren’t being jerked.

Not that I’m saying we should do it but a 3-5-2 with KMJ, Varane and Martinez as the back three would be awesome.

gajender

For those saying we don't need a defender, if we plan on playing with 2 no.8s,, we'll need a high line and excellent one on one defenders who are good in transition defense. That's why I think we will sign him. (Not that I know how good he is, I'm just saying that's the reason for signing him imo)
Good luck playing high line with Statue in the goal .

flappyjay

This would be lovely. I hope our chains aren’t being jerked.

Not that I’m saying we should do it but a 3-5-2 with KMJ, Varane and Martinez as the back three would be awesome.
The Mount signing would make even more sense if a back 3 was the plan. But that would also mean a ball playing keeper and someone like frimpong are essential.

Real Name

So much money for PL unproven player. I'm not so sure. Also what are our scouts doing, Kim has been known to everybody.

aeh1991

So much money for PL unproven player. I'm not so sure. Also what are our scouts doing, Kim has been known to everybody.
Our scouts have been following him since he was playing for Jeonbuk in Korea.

If he plays with Licha, we will have the most aggressive CB duo in the world, while him paired with Varane would remind me of Vidic-Rio.

saivet

I don't know anything about him, but are there any decent links to him? From what I've seen the sources are ropey, at best.

Red Royal

A bit annoying if a CB is our 1st signing above a GK, CM, CF and RB which IMHO are much higher priorities.
We have Varane, Martinez, Lindelov and Shaw plus Harry is still around...

davidmichael

Apparently he’s a long term target that we’ve been watching since his early 20’s and we have no idea how long we’ve been working on this signing behind the scenes, for all we know ETH could have given Murtough the green light after the first games of the season once he’d realised Maguire isn’t what he wants.

Is £50 million a lot now for a full international who's just won Serie A and played a high standard in the CL this season ? Kim reminds me of a faster version of Vidic and better on the ball, the likliehood is he’d be Varane’s replacement after a season of bedding in with Lindelof also around.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Apparently he’s a long term target that we’ve been watching since his early 20’s and we have no idea how long we’ve been working on this signing behind the scenes, for all we know ETH could have given Murtough the green light after the first games of the season once he’d realised Maguire isn’t what he wants.

Is £50 million a lot now for a full international who's just won Serie A and played a high standard in the CL this season ? Kim reminds me of a faster version of Vidic and better on the ball, the likliehood is he’d be Varane’s replacement after a season of bedding in with Lindelof also around.
Nope. If he didn't have a buyout clause Napoli would be looking for at least €100m like they did with Koulibaly.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
‘J’ is pronounced ‘J’ in Korean.
It's "Min-Jay" like the avian variety.
So kind of like "Minge, eh?"

Not just a conversation opener any more!
it’s pronounced “kim mon-hay” but with the “h” pronounced all spanish, like the “h” in gea for david de gea.
It's pronounced minge.
Actually in Korean, J is G so it’s pronounced Kim Min Gaye
It’s spelled Raymond Luxury-Yatch but actually it’s pronounced ‘Throatwarbler Mangrove!’ :lol:

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
A bit annoying if a CB is our 1st signing above a GK, CM, CF and RB which IMHO are much higher priorities.
We have Varane, Martinez, Lindelov and Shaw plus Harry is still around...
I do agree that CB is one of our lower priorities, but it does kind of feel that Kim might just be too good an opportunity to pass up. A player who seems very good and well suited to how ETH wants us to play, in a position that our starter is injury prone which will likely get worse (even though our back-up is quite solid), and is available for much cheaper than someone of his quality normally would be thanks to a release clause.

roodey

Isn't that Korean military service usually take around 2 years mandatory?

Quite a while for the wait.
Son from Spurs completed his military service in 3 weeks .. seems like special rules for footballers

Hanky panky

I asked about this from my Korean friend about 30min. ago. He answered: "He got the military service waived from getting a medal in Olympics or something. He just needs to finish basic training and free to go" And he added it would take one month or so.

BarryWinks

So why are people so invested in this then?

Martinez and Varane are our two first choice defenders, why would a 25-year old established defender come in (at that price) to sit on the bench potentially? I don't see ETH going three at the back next season. What gives?

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
This signing doesn't make any sense at all to me. Luckily no reputable sources seem to be going with it.

We already have two brilliant first choice CBs (Martinez, Varane) and two very good quality backups (Shaw, Lindelöf). If we're getting a squad player on the cheap to take the minutes Maguire got this season, fine, but spending 50m or whatever it is to upgrade our third choice CB when we're desperate for first XI talent in other positions would be mental.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson

He only needs to do a couple of weeks (same for Son) as they won the Asian Cup. So 2 years scrapped.

No wonder they won it.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
We’re not still doing this crap are we?

Hanky panky

Martinez and Varane are our two first choice defenders, why would a 25-year old established defender come in (at that price) to sit on the bench potentially? I don't see ETH going three at the back next season. What gives?
Varane is pretty injury prone. Anyway top teams needs at least three quality centre backs. Kim also could be better than Varane. Now or in the near future. He is a Serie A's defender of the year. Maybe he trust himself. And I can say United is a huge thing in Asia. The most popular football club in Asia. Could be one of the reasons why he would be ready to sign even as a third choice cb.

prateik

I've played enough FM to know that we'll sell enough shirts in Korea to recoup the transfer fee ..

Selling Maguire for 30m and getting an upgrade for free.. berry berry shrew.

zaafi

This signing doesn't make any sense at all to me. Luckily no reputable sources seem to be going with it.

We already have two brilliant first choice CBs (Martinez, Varane) and two very good quality backups (Shaw, Lindelöf). If we're getting a squad player on the cheap to take the minutes Maguire got this season, fine, but spending 50m or whatever it is to upgrade our third choice CB when we're desperate for first XI talent in other positions would be mental.
That's interesting, because I find this signing to make too much sense.

KMJ can play on both the left and the right as a centre back, and Varane struggle with injuries and he also needs to rest and not play every game in order for him to remain at his best. If he doesn't perform, KMJ will take over.
It's not entirely unlikely that KMJ will start ahead of Varane anyway, as he has been one of the best centre backs in the world this season. There is no guarantee Varane will be there to deliver the goods, especially as he's prone to injuries.

You're right that Shaw has been excellent as a cover for Martinez, but by playing him there, we lose a serious weapon on the left, as Shaw is excellent going forward, linking up and playmaking.

For the fee quoted, it really is a no brainer, especially as he also can function as a back up/rotating option for Martinez as well.
If we're serious about wanting to compete for the title and CL, we can't rely on Lindelof to deliver, even if he has had some great performances lately.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
This one’s looking pretty much done isn’t it? Only us interested at the minute.

Eugenius

Varane has a knee problem (iirc) and can't play two games a week. Think that's why he also canned in his international career.

If we could sell Maguire and Lindelof (assuming he is not happy 4th choice) would make sense to have Varane, Licha, Kim, and Shaw/youth player as centre back options.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'

I think you’ll find that martinez and Kim will start together more then martinez and Varane. Plus it gives us options to play 3 at the back if we need.

Hanky panky

You're right that Shaw has been excellent as a cover for Martinez, but by playing him there, we lose a serious weapon on the left, as Shaw is excellent going forward, linking up and playmaking.
Yep. Shaw needs to play on the left.

izec

Going by Italian media, we signed SMS the last 3 years every summer. Unless a reliable journo picks this up, there is nothing in it. You would think Di Marzio or Romano would get info quickly on this if there was something in it

Status
Not open for further replies.