King Van Gaal's Orange Army || 19 games unbeaten

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
And I just know Van Gaal puts on Kenneth fecking Taylor instead of Simons júst because the entire country is clamouring for Simons.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Why are you lot so mad at him? Didn't Netherlands miss out on the last WC? Qualifying and them topping your group after being shit for a few years seems to be a good showing?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Why are you lot so mad at him? Didn't Netherlands miss out on the last WC? Qualifying and them topping your group after being shit for a few years seems to be a good showing?
Dutch people love a pretentious moan. If it's not a 4-3-3 imbued with the blood of Johan Cruijff, is it even a win?

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Still not convinced by them. Maybe it's just the nostalgia from the top Dutch sides from Cruyff to Bergkamp to even that ugly 2010 side that still had Van Persie and Robben, I just don't see this edition doing well in the knockouts. They were lucky to get into the easiest group IMO

GinobiliTheGOAT

Still not convinced by them. Maybe it's just the nostalgia from the top Dutch sides from Cruyff to Bergkamp to even that ugly 2010 side that still had Van Persie and Robben, I just don't see this edition doing well in the knockouts. They were lucky to get into the easiest group IMO
They'll get knocked out by Iran/USA

VanDeBank

Ma’am
We haven't played entertaining football since Van Basten was manager, 15 years ago :(

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Dutch people love a pretentious moan. If it's not a 4-3-3 imbued with the blood of Johan Cruijff, is it even a win?
Feck the blood of Johan Cruijff. Is it too much to ask to be able to dominante Qatar, the worst team to ever play a world cup?

VanDeBank

Ma’am
We had already recovered from the dark ages under Koeman.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Feck the blood of Johan Cruijff. Is it too much to ask to be able to dominante Qatar, the worst team to ever play a world cup?
63% possession, 1.87 xG vs 0.18. Comfortable win for Louis van Gaal’s orange army

LouieVanGallsRedArmeh

I freaking told you so, this LVG team can go very far, despite not having any classical strikers in squad whatsoever, a black horse of the tournament, I predict a final Netherlands vs Portugal, if that's possible of course

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
63% possession, 1.87 xG vs 0.18. Comfortable win for Louis van Gaal’s orange army
I can tell you two haven't been watching the Dutch games this WC. :) No-one's complaining about the results, it's the way they are achieved. It's very disjointed football that creates next to no chances and leaves far too much space to poor opposition. The team has been only been saved by a few moments where somehow, someone manages to put the ball in the back of the net. This won't cut it against better opposition, and clearly isn't getting the full potential out of the squad. (It's not amazing, but certainly not this poor and disjointed either.) Hence the complaints.

(Not that people didn't complain about the defensive playing style back in Brazil, but at least it worked: it was defensively solid and got the most out of Robben. This does none of that.)

Irwin99

I can tell you two haven't been watching the Dutch games this WC. :) No-one's complaining about the results, it's the way they are achieved. It's very disjointed football that creates next to no chances and leaves far too much space to poor opposition. The team has been only been saved by a few moments where somehow, someone manages to put the ball in the back of the net. This won't cut it against better opposition, and clearly isn't getting the full potential out of the squad. (It's not amazing, but certainly not this poor and disjointed either.) Hence the complaints.

(Not that people didn't complain about the defensive playing style back in Brazil, but at least it worked: it was defensively solid and got the most out of Robben. This does none of that.)
I'm wondering if the Dutch might actually surprise against a bigger team, not by winning the game in a dominant way but by being defensively plucky and frustrating the opposition. I wonder how good they are on the counter? I know they have a few 'direct' options on the bench too.

Worth remembering that they were only impressive in the group stage back in 2014 but finished 3rd with some really solid defensive displays. They massively have to improve but I could see them beating the US or Iran and I could see them frustrating Argentina or Denmark. It ain't gonna be pretty but I hope they do well.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I'm wondering if the Dutch might actually surprise against a bigger team, not by winning the game in a dominant way but by being defensively plucky and frustrating the opposition. I wonder how good they are on the counter? I know they have a few 'direct' options on the bench too.

Worth remembering that they were only impressive in the group stage back in 2014 but finished 3rd with some really solid defensive displays. They massively have to improve but I could see them beating the US or Iran and I could see them frustrating Argentina or Denmark. It ain't gonna be pretty but I hope they do well.
But the problem is that the team is completely disjointed going forward, and leaky in the back. Even Qatar got some good chances in, and Ecuador completely overrun the Dutch right-hand side. As I said, solid defence was the saving grace of the 2014 team, but this time Van Gaal hasn't managed that, basically nothing seems to be well in place.

(That might sounds a bit dramatic, and obviously the team isn't lower leagues level. But tactically, I really don't see much that's working as intended.)

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Handily beating the US followed by a long condescending Van Gaal rant about how we are all uncultured peasants for whinging about the group stages would be the most LVG thing ever.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
But the problem is that the team is completely disjointed going forward, and leaky in the back. Even Qatar got some good chances in, and Ecuador completely overrun the Dutch right-hand side. As I said, solid defence was the saving grace of the 2014 team, but this time Van Gaal hasn't managed that, basically nothing seems to be well in place.

(That might sounds a bit dramatic, and obviously the team isn't lower leagues level. But tactically, I really don't see much that's working as intended.)
2014 we had Robben who was fecking possessed that tournament. I would trade in 2/3 of our current squad for just Robben. We'll play without subs, feck it.

BorisManUtd

Holland reaching at least last 8 of WC and van Gaal will be happy with that kind of achievement before his retirement.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Ive had the misfortune of watching all 3 Dutch games and they all have been a complete and total borefest.

What @Cheimoon said is absolutely correct.

They look completely and totally disjointed.

This was especially evident in the first 60 or so minutes of the Senegal game (where they were lucky to come away with a victory) when it seemed that LVG had picked a team that was somehow simultaneously too attacking and too defensive (With FdJ just running aimlessly with the ball through midfield trying to connect them and being dispossessed frequently).

He's changed it around abit since but it still sucks now, just differently.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
And I just know Van Gaal puts on Kenneth fecking Taylor instead of Simons júst because the entire country is clamouring for Simons.
Indeed, Taylor had to be on the pitch from kickoff, not for a 5 min sub. Taylor > De Roon/Koopmeiners

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
The Dutch do look disjointed and out of sorts while the US tends to put together a passionate 1st half full of energy before falling off in the 2nd half and looking poor. I contrast the US performances with Ecuador's who paced themselves really well and then came on strong in the 2nd half which worked against the Dutch. I think for the US to have a chance, they're going to need to pace themselves a lot better than they have in the group stages. Gapko will likely be the best offensive player on the pitch so that should give the Dutch their best chance, but of course, anything might happen.

Abraxas

I think Louis and the Dutch will still have enough about them to outsmart this USA side even though they look mediocre. I just think they'll do enough. The USA are light up top to cause too many concerns in defence, yes they press well but in Gakpo, De Jong etc it's the Netherlands that have the real class on the pitch. Think they'll squeeze through.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I don't think USA will cause them any problems.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I just hope van Gaal gets a lot of questions from US journalists.

Oranges038

LVG and his football by numbers is so boring and outdated. Hope the US beat them, such a boring team to watch, even more boring than Utd were under him.

RedDevilMachine

Pragmatic football is what gets you far in major tournaments and win them. LVG, Southgate's style of football might not be easy on the eyes but results speak for themselves. Netherlands and USA has a written 0-0 all over it and they will probably win it in extra-time and then they will face Argentina in the next round. If they get past Argentina, I won't be surprised if they shithouse their way to the final as I had Argentina as my pick to reach the final.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Don't think they'll make the final but like the confident tone.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
LVG and his football by numbers is so boring and outdated. Hope the US beat them, such a boring team to watch, even more boring than Utd were under him.
I was hoping we'd draw England. Losing to the US is too much of a humiliation.