King Van Gaal's Orange Army || 19 games unbeaten

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
We boycotted. You couldn't even do that!

Now don't enjoy the QF, you whiners :lol:
I boycotted the game just now though!

(Yeah, social event.)

Last edited:
Reminds me of England, effective enough tournament football, won’t be enough to win it and an absolute borefest for anyone watching.
Since Robben they really miss the x factor though so more understandable from them.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Reminds me of England, effective enough tournament football, won’t be enough to win it and an absolute borefest for anyone watching.
Since Robben they really miss the x factor though so more understandable from them.
I was thoroughly entertained tonight. The perfect showcase that the US are very enthusiastic about football, but have no clue how to play it.

Possession is overrated.

Chairman Steve

I hope they go far. Always thought Holland deserved to win the World Cup based on their contributions to football over the years and their influence on the game as a whole.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
What's the deal with Dutch keepers? Listening to the commentator there, the stetting keeper only started playing for the national team less than two weeks ago, and has only really just become a starter at club level at the age of 28. Has less than 40 career appearances at club level. Quick research into the keepers in the Dutch squad show they have about 11 caps between all 3 of them.

Is there a gaping gap in quality or is LVG just taking the piss?
The last one, in fairness they are transitioning from one group (Krul, Cillessen, Vorm) to another one, but van Gaal didn't even pick the best one for the squad (Mark Flekken)

Robbie Boy

Didn't see game, but re: Robben: feck me, what an amazing player he was. Another absolute worldie that Chelsea let go.... because, Jose.

Samoerai Jack

Noppert seems mint though. Very pleasantly surprised by his attitude, presence and shot stopping ability. The Dutch national goalies since van de Sar have all lacked in crucial areas. Noppert seems to have a more complete package; he's even quite similar in style to old Edwin.

Wouldn't be the first time van Gaal finds gold in the dirt.

Scottynaldinho

The thing with this Dutch team is that they know what they're doing. They're the only team along with Spain with a brand of football.

They are the favourites to win it for me after Brazil.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Though Holland misses star power, we can do much better than this with this squad in terms of performance.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
The thing with this Dutch team is that they know what they're doing.
Yeah, that's why it works a charm for LvG as manager. There's shared technical and tactical foundations so getting the team to function is easy enough, he is hugely experienced and can dissect the oppo and how to counter them, and his style is perfect for a 7 game tournament.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
But so what? You have been absolutely rubbish for ages now and your talent has absolutely dried up. The point of LVG was never going to be sexy football. He's ancient now. But he seems to have done really well in getting you into the WC and now into the Quarters fairly comfortably.

Just seems like a lot of snobbishness from Dutch fans.
Yes, the team is fairly average, and yes he did well in the qualification. But the group games this WC were just actually poor. (I'm still wondering if you actually saw them or are purely basing your comments on results.) The style was boring in Brazil as well, but effective at what it did, and that was fine by me (especially given the (lack of) squad quality). I couldn't watch today's game, but the group stage games were not effective at all, just disjointed, and the team went through because of poor opposition, not on its own strength. That's my issue here.

I'll return to actual snobbery when the country has a strong squad again and they get results through a defensive style. :cool:

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I personally like the way the Dutch are playing.
They don't press high, don't look to play 'modern football' but what they do have is the ability to completely control a game with and without the ball.
The cut passing lanes off and strike together when there is even a small mistake.
They are certainly dangerous up top and solid at the back.

Irwin99

Wonder if that huge goalkeeper is any good at saving penalties? Might be an intimidating sight at any rate.

Watching the pace of this Argentina side and it's not exactly high urgency stuff. I wonder if the Dutch might cede possession and try and pick them off in the same way. The first goal will be important i imagine.

Canagel

I personally like the way the Dutch are playing.
They don't press high, don't look to play 'modern football' but what they do have is the ability to completely control a game with and without the ball.
The cut passing lanes off and strike together when there is even a small mistake.
They are certainly dangerous up top and solid at the back.
They remind me of Jose 2010 Inter. I wont be surprised if they reach the final.

Robbie Boy

Somewhere, Santiago Kinderbueno is sitting there laughing at all us mere mortals who wouldn't bow to LvG's greatness. He was the hero we all needed.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Had them as my pick pre tournament because of how they played since LvG took over. Think they've been WELL below that level this tournament, but have had a good fixture list where they haven't needed to get out of 2nd gear really. In the quarter final without truly being tested IMO. We'll see if they can step it up and sharpen up against Argentina, but I think they can. Brazil will be tough though.

Really need Van Dijk to be his old dominant self, and Frenkie to start running games again for them to do that. So far those 2 haven't had to do much.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Though Holland misses star power, we can do much better than this with this squad in terms of performance.
You're in the QF of the world cup ffs. Last time out with this squad you got dunked on by the fecking Czech Republic

Wilt

Imagine LVG’s press conference if the Dutch win it ….hilarious!

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
It was absolutely shit again, but we won, so yay

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Dumfries MotM

Aké very good as well. I thought everyone with the exception of Klaassen maybe had a solid game.

We had a tough 5-10 minutes, then a dominant spell, then played on the break once we had a lead. I have no clue what game all the moaners were watching.

Remember Vlaar putting in a ballon d'or worthy performance against Messi at the 2014 world cup :lol:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Im more confident we will beat Argentina than I was that we'd beat the US.

Bwuk

I fancy them to beat Argentina. Argentina won’t be able to deal with Holland on the break.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Imagine LVG’s press conference if the Dutch win it ….hilarious!
It would be the perfect cross between insufferable and hilarious - it'd be awesome!

Last edited:

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
You're in the QF of the world cup ffs. Last time out with this squad you got dunked on by the fecking Czech Republic
Don't care really. We have played piss poor opposition so far.

But football is more than just results, to me anyway.