King Van Gaal's Orange Army || 19 games unbeaten

tjb

This game shows one of the reasons I like a 343. I know this was a 352 played today, but still...

Defensively, for me it's the best formation for covering spaces when deep. In the modern game where midfield battles do not really exist, its a system that is quite easy to transition to, in a similar way to a 442. Where in a 4231, the wingers will have to drop deep into a 4411 block, in a 343, the flanks are already protected by the 3/4 block; meaning that less defensively enthusiastic wingers do not need to be as discipined. It's also why teams can afford to play the 3412, which the Dutch currently employ. This means that a team can essentially have double coverage of a flank without the involvement of the wide players and still be well protected. If they then decide for the wingers to provide defensive support as well, then it's almost impossible to play down the flanks. The two central midfielders, can simply sit deep as well and a team would essentially have to play through a defensive wall that is fully secure and quite easy to transition to.

It's the reason why the Dutch could afford to not press. A lot of people were blaming the US team for not being able to do anything with the time and space they were given, but the Dutch essentially were so secure in their ability to hold their shape defensively, that they actually invited the US to attack them, knowing that they would either counter attack or ensure that the ball went out of play

Some people aren't impressed with it. However, I can see any team who can't progress the ball quickly struggling to actually break them down. I can't see Argentina breaking them down, outside of a major mistake or a moment of Messi brilliance. Whilst on the other end, I can see Argentina conceding on the counter. The system might come unstuck against a team with the sheer attacking brilliance of a Brazil, but even then, Brazil's lack of full backs might force them to try and attack the Dutch centrally. Thereby reducing the amount of potential weapons they have in attack, with Brazil having to rely on Richarlison to be able to hold up the ball, make the right runs and initmidate a strong Dutch defence. They would also be forced to rely on Casemiro and Paqueta for creativity. The team best placed to destroy them would be France. They have the attacking wing backs to break the walls the Dutch have on the flanks, they move with speed, and with Griezmann playing are very intricate with many one -two's through the middle, which means they have multiple fronts of attack. Enough to break that purposeful Dutch wall.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
BTW, he also prefaced that bit with that he's a very good player and that he had trouble in his private life (the burglary) during his time in Manchester that affected his form. He also said he (LVG) might have made mistakes.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
LvG is the ultimate dad/granddad. Just loves embarrassing people

stoinz

:lol:
Haha. Really miss this mad fecker. This team does not have the same amount of talent of his previous stint but they still get the job done thanks to him. I'm torn between wanting to see him or Messi lift the world cup, knowing this might be their last world up.

Ole'sgunnarwin

There's something about the atmosphere at that Dutch camp. I still think Van Dijk is a freak in the positive sense when he's on form. They could do something at this World Cup.

Witchking

We potentially would have been better off if lvg was still here after 2016. Things would have improved. He sold rvp and kept Rooney which was his mistake.

We would have had a blueprint to play a possession based style. Now ETH has come and I am glad we will have a plan to play rather than just be vibes FC.

Want LvG to win the world cup.

Kaos

We potentially would have been better off if lvg was still here after 2016. Things would have improved. He sold rvp and kept Rooney which was his mistake.

We would have had a blueprint to play a possession based style. Now ETH has come and I am glad we will have a plan to play rather than just be vibes FC.

Nah, we got rid at the right time IMO. The possession based football we were playing was largely impotent - knocking the ball around sideways for 90 minutes producing 1-2 shots on target on all game.

A great manager but one that's only suited to international football in recent years. Club football at the highest level has moved on beyond his methods.

Gavinb33

He needed to sell them both.

Maybe we would have but you can't blame the board the football was tumescent

I was saying to my brother us doing well and him being manager would have been golden

Witchking

Nah, we got rid at the right time IMO. The possession based football we were playing was largely impotent - knocking the ball around sideways for 90 minutes producing 1-2 shots on target on all game.

A great manager but one that's only suited to international football in recent years. Club football at the highest level has moved on beyond his methods.
Yeah, could be. Just glad we have a decent manager now.

Still irritates me how he was sacked. Have a soft spot for lvg due to that probably.We became a Disney club under Woodward.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
You can just see his ego and mood increase with every bit of positive attention he's getting. Let's see him crack jokes after we lose tomorrow (hope we don't). Narcisists are always charming when you lick their boot.

Suedesi

https://www.fotmob.com/news/js170ln...ut-healed-similar-rift-with-depay-now-we-kiss

Angel Di Maria is simply a really good football player," Van Gaal said to an increasingly amused press room.

"At the time when he played for Manchester, he had a lot of personal issues, there was a break-in at his house. That also affected his fitness that year.

"The fact he would refer to me as the worst trainer, that is one of the very few players that ever said that. Usually it is the other way around.

"So, I think that is sad. I don't like that Angel said that on one occasion. It is a pity, but that's just the way it is.

"A head coach sometimes needs to take decisions that don't always end well. There's someone next to me here, Memphis Depay, and the same happened to him.

"Memphis also played for Manchester, and now we kiss each other, mouth-to-mouth. No, we're not going to do that now.

"That's just how things pan out in football. People are laughing now, but I didn't select Memphis for the [FA Cup] final – now that's not nice.

"Believe me, a head coach doesn't do this without a reason. It may well have been a wrong decision, but just look at how we are dealing with each other, working with each other now. Things are quite different.

"I'm not allowed to kiss him on the mouth, he doesn't want that, quite unfortunate, but it's fine by me."

Van Gaal was also asked about Bastian Schweinsteiger, who played for him both at United and at Bayern Munich.

Schweinsteiger's Germany eliminated Argentina from three consecutive World Cups between 2006 and 2014, and he has been in contact with Van Gaal.

"That is private. I'm sorry, it's private. I cannot say anything about that," Van Gaal said of their conversations. "I just think it's great that he's doing this.

"I ask him as well, because he's a reporter now and sees all these matches, and he was a player with brains. Football is being played with brains.

"I do learn things that my scouts have not said so far, which is positive. He is a fan of the Netherlands now that Germany is out."

OMG Louis, you're absolutely the best.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I have a feeling he will get them to the semis.

You can just see his ego and mood increase with every bit of positive attention he's getting. Let's see him crack jokes after we lose tomorrow (hope we don't). Narcisists are always charming when you lick their boot.
Would like to see your team get knocked out?

Also ADM is yapping about giving comments. Is he actually expected to start? He's shit now.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I have pretty much no sympathy or feelings towards any of the players (though I've always had a soft spot for Blind), but if England go out, I wouldn't mind them winning it, only for Louis.

Well, I'll mainly be rooting for Brazil cos we get days off here when they play, but I love Louis.

Irwin99

He's a legend of the game. Easily my favourite post SAF manager- though I think EtH will surpass him soon :D . I think he's very hard to dislike as a person whatever your thoughts on his style of football. I see him as that elderly family figure who's always cracking bad/inappropriate jokes and making everyone laugh with his cringe.

I kinda wish there was a compilation of all the players who have had to sit next to him and have cringed in embarrassment at his antics. Juan Mata's reaction was priceless a few years back too :lol:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I have a feeling he will get them to the semis.

Would like to see your team get knocked out?

Also ADM is yapping about giving comments. Is he actually expected to start? He's shit now.
No definitely not (as I mentioned) but the Van Gaal lovetrain is silly. Has nothing to do with Di Maria mind you.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
He's a legend of the game. Easily my favourite post SAF manager- though I think EtH will surpass him soon :D . I think he's very hard to dislike as a person whatever your thoughts on his style of football. I see him as that elderly family figure who's always cracking bad/inappropriate jokes and making everyone laugh with his cringe.

I kinda wish there was a compilation of all the players who have had to sit next to him and have cringed in embarrassment at his antics. Juan Mata's reaction was priceless a few years back too :lol:
It's funny, cause back in the 90s, he was just a rather unpleasant person in public: arrogant, sour, and paranoid towards the press, without any of the redeeming features. There wasn't much to like about his personality (except maybe if you were an Ajax fan). I don't know what he may have been like away from the cameras, but certainly in terms of his public persona, he has really opened up in the last decade or so.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
That was absolutely brilliant. Wonder if it was prompted by the legislative environment he's currently in.