Kingsley Coman

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It will be interesting to see what Ole has planned for Chong;
Regardless of what posters think of him Ole has resigned him on a three year deal and I would wait to see if he is going on loan or going to stay with the first team squad next season before any other winger apart from Sancho comes in.
Hopefully he goes out on loan. Doesn't really look good enough to play a part in the first team squad.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Well I don't think we will bench Rashford for Coman, and I don't think anyone here will honestly think so too. But Coman will be good squad player option for sure
Give him a few games tearing opponents a second and the perception will change quickly. Coman is pretty much impossible to defend in one on ones. From all the young talents that emerged since Mbappe/Dembele etc., Coman's abilities in one on ones impressed me the most.

Bench a player who scores 17 league goals & 7 assists. It won’t be easy for sure.
That's not a dig at Rashford. I'd take a fit Coman ahead of most wingers out there, currently. I can also imagine that he's going to bench either Sané or Gnabry if he stays injury-free. Doesn't really matter though because that'll probably never be the case. Think you'd be well advised to stay away from this deal.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I don't know which wide player would be benched but he would most likely bench someone. The ability that he has to beat his man and create havoc is on par with Dembélé, what separates them is that Dembélé is more likely to score goals and assists while Coman will do his defensive job like a traditional winger but lacks end products mainly because he isn't greedy enough, too often he looks for a better positioned teammates instead of shooting or trying the killer ball.
His close control is much better than Dembele's, though, so I have Coman above him in that regard. But you're right, the big issue with Coman was always the end product - probably because he was never really given the time young players need to develop that aspect of their game. Usually his managers are happy that he's able to play football again and it never comes far enough to work on those issues.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He left Juve since their 352 setup didn’t have a spot for pure wingers. It was quite stupid going there in the first place to be honest. And he left PSG since he didn’t see a way into their team even as an academy graduate. A problem that still persists at PSG since they are still losing prospects left and right every transfer window.
He failed at PSG, he failed at Juve and he doesn't seem doing too well with Bayern either. He seem to have a Welbeck type of career ie built on hype and excuses.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
He failed at PSG, he failed at Juve and he doesn't seem doing too well with Bayern either. He seem to have a Welbeck type of career ie built on hype and excuses.
Very insightful and differentiated perspective :)

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He didn't fail at PSG.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
What Sir Alex did or did not means feck all. He'd win the league with me and you in midfield. Ole or anyone else for that matter aren't in the same class so we need to give them what they need, not what Sir Alex would have managed with. I don't care about the Coman discussion because Bayern won't sell him but to suggest fecking Fraser is a better option or make decisions based on what Sir Alex would have won with is absolutely bollocks. Btw, Coman is 24 but well done on the imaginary Juve thought he'd be a bayern legend and he isn't already nonsense to make some weird point.
No one expects Ole to be Sir Alex. However there's plenty of lessons to be learnt from the old man. In Sir Alex's team there was a clear distinction between the first team and the reserves in terms of salaries and talent. Sir Alex would try to snap bargains who have the right attitude to play for the club and whom ideally are versatile and EPL proven. But hey let us turn our noses up at a free agent/winger who scored 16 goals and had 26 assists in 120 EPL matches in favour of an injury prone player who has been hopping from one top club to another

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Give him a few games tearing opponents a second and the perception will change quickly. Coman is pretty much impossible to defend in one on ones. From all the young talents that emerged since Mbappe/Dembele etc., Coman's abilities in one on ones impressed me the most.

That's not a dig at Rashford. I'd take a fit Coman ahead of most wingers out there, currently. I can also imagine that he's going to bench either Sané or Gnabry if he stays injury-free. Doesn't really matter though because that'll probably never be the case. Think you'd be well advised to stay away from this deal.
If he can bench Rashford, surely he can bench Sancho as well? Since Rashford can bench Sancho in England team. But he comes he could not dominate the German league anywhere near as much as Sancho then?

JPRouve

Scout
He didn't succeeded either.
Which doesn't equate to your previous claim, he decided to leave at 17 based on the club policy to not care about the youth teams.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
If he can bench Rashford, surely he can bench Sancho as well? Since Rashford can bench Sancho in England team. But he comes he could not dominate the German league anywhere near as much as Sancho then?
That's a stupid line of argument so I guess you took me saying Coman would make it into your starting line up and probably bench Rashford personally somehow. It wasn't meant as criticism. I just happen to have a very, very high opinion of Coman and I guess you'd have that, too, if you had seen the games I've seen from him.

I believe a fit Coman isn't much worse than Sancho, by the way. Coman's main problem is that he can't get a break and that has slowed down his development incredibly.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
That's a stupid line of argument so I guess you took me saying Coman would make it into your starting line up and probably bench Rashford personally somehow. It wasn't meant as criticism. I just happen to have a very, very high opinion of Coman and I guess you'd have that, too, if you had seen the games I've seen from him.

I believe a fit Coman isn't much worse than Sancho, by the way. Coman's main problem is that he can't get a break and that has slowed down his development incredibly.
Nothing personal from that, just want to understand why you rate him so highly, even though he hasn't shown it to the level you've described here. I didn't follow his game though, but his stats in past 6 season is nothing special (at least not up to level of Rashford and Sancho). Maybe he is a great dribbler like Messi, I have no clue on that.

E-mal

Coman can't bench Rashford, he is one of our goals outlet seeing we don't rely on our centre forward to supply all our goals.
Rashford's competition will come from Sancho if Greenwood continue to be this productive.
In fact it is not a given that any of Rashford, Martial or Sancho are guaranteed a spot if Greenwood continue on this path.

JPRouve

Scout
Nothing personal from that, just want to understand why you rate him so highly, even though he hasn't shown it to the level you've described here. I didn't follow his game though, but his stats in past 6 season is nothing special (at least not up to level of Rashford and Sancho). Maybe he is a great dribbler like Messi, I have no clue on that.
Bear in mind that his stats are while generally playing less than half of the minutes available and with several stops and starts within seasons due to injuries. When you watch him play, you quickly understand why his managers start him when fit, he is always creating havoc while also being tactically and technically sound. Now he should have a slightly better end product and he is injury prone, the latter being a massive issue.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Bear in mind that his stats are while generally playing less than half of the minutes available and with several stops and starts within seasons due to injuries. When you watch him play, you quickly understand why his managers start him when fit, he is always creating havoc while also being tactically and technically sound. Now he should have a slightly better end product and he is injury prone, the latter being a massive issue.
Well if thats the case, then he has been extremely unlucky with injuries then. I am looking at his stats over past 5-6 seasons, its quite a long time.

Davie Moyes

Very interesting input JP. I've never really watched him but did not realise he was so highly rated. I usually look out for your opinions as its clear you talk sense and have a good understanding of football so will take your opinion and actively look out to watch him more.

I just assumed he was more of a solid, tactical player with a strong left foot but not an individual player who likes beating his man.

On these links to Utd surely it's to put pressure on Dortmund regarding Sancho.

JPRouve

Scout
Well if thats the case, then he has been extremely unlucky with injuries then. I am looking at his stats over past 5-6 seasons, its quite a long time.
I don't know if he is unlucky or if there is something wrong physiologically but his ability to be injured has no equal.

Very interesting input JP. I've never really watched him but did not realise he was so highly rated. I usually look out for your opinions as its clear you talk sense and have a good understanding of football so will take your opinion and actively look out to watch him more.

I just assumed he was more of a solid, tactical player with a strong left foot but not an individual player who likes beating his man.

On these links to Utd surely it's to put pressure on Dortmund regarding Sancho.
He is a dribbler and someone that is excellent in 1v1 with good balance and as @Zehner said he has a better touch than Dembélé but he has two big problems, you can't trust him to score goals and he is injury prone. The finishing part can be fixed and hopefully will if he stays fit but there is no reason to believe that he can stay fit.

Hansinity

Supports
Bayern Munich
One of the top wingers and I would be suprised that Bayern would sell him. If rumours are true City wanted him and Bayern declined. I remeber Dagba from PSG recently said that Coman was the most difficult player he played against( despite playing regularely against Neymar and Mbappe in training). Him being injury prone is probably the biggest downside though

I am convinced that he is a quality addition to any side of the world. There aren't many wingers who confidently beats players 1v1 on the lines that often.

Seeing People judging him by stats dosesn't do him justice at all. Like somebody mentioned all his stats has to be put in relation to his injury record. Not easy to come back over and over from injuries and then to perform.
Last season Rashford had 0,27 goals and 0,19 Assists per game, while coman had 0,3 and 0,23. This season Rashford has 0,53 /0,24 and Coman 0,2/ 0,2. Taking into consideration that Coman has deal with injuries and Rashford scored 6 goals out of 22 via penalty , it is not like Rashford is a way bigger scoring machine than Coman at all.

Jus't don't like it when people just purely argue with stats and not put them into perspective at all. Take for example Gnabry who has really good stats ( slightly better than Rashford in last 2 years ). But to be completely honest I would rather start a fit Coman instead of Gnabry.

As someone who watched United + Bayern games regularely I am conviced that he is at least on Rashfords level ( who is 2 years younger though ).
Most just reduce him to his speed ( his sprints are actually insane), but his skillset is huge. Just watch some compilations on Youtube to get an overview of these, since it seems not many here who judged him here have watched him playing more than 3 times.

Last edited:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
He's probably the unluckiest player currently in world football in that regard. He already publicly considered retirement aged 23. It seems everytime he gets going, he's out for a few months again and has to start all over again. If your training routine consists to 90+% of getting fit again, there's also not much time to work on your weaknesses. That being said, Sancho is a similarly good dribbler, not injury-prone and already has end product like few others. That's why he is so special.

However, I don't really see where Rashford's statistics are in a different league to Coman's. He's currently at 17 goals and 8 assists in roughly 2500 minutes, so more or less 100 minutes per scorer. However, 6 of those goals are penalties which neither Coman nor Sancho take. Those aside his quota goes up to 131 minutes per scorer. Last season exemplarily, Coman was at 127 minutes per scorer, so slightly better.

Trust me, if you watch him regularly, you'll get the hype. He's an incredible talent. If he moves club and gets his injuries under control, this could be a Robben story 2.0. Wouldn't bet on that, though.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Never indicate that you are having a dig at Rashford. I'm just questioning how much you rated Coman. Rashford is on the same level as Sancho at the moment with the same potential. I personally don't rate Coman anywhere near Sancho at the moment and I'm sure majority people would say so.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Never indicate that you are having a dig at Rashford. I'm just questioning how much you rated Coman. Rashford is on the same level as Sancho at the moment with the same potential. I personally don't rate Coman anywhere near Sancho at the moment and I'm sure majority people would say so.
Well, no offense, I know that Rashford is very popular in here, but I'm also very sure that apart from United fans, few people think Rashford has similar potential to Sancho.

Potential wise, his incredible close control and absolutely insane acceleration and top speed put Coman ahead of Rashford in my book. But I think Rashford will have the better career since he's less injury prone.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Well, no offense, I know that Rashford is very popular in here, but I'm also very sure that apart from United fans, few people think Rashford has similar potential to Sancho.

Potential wise, his incredible close control and absolutely insane acceleration and top speed put Coman ahead of Rashford in my book. But I think Rashford will have the better career since he's less injury prone.
Well, I'm also very sure lot of people think Coman is nowhere near Rashford & Sancho in both current level & potential.

Rashford played more minutes this season with England with producing more goals & assists than Sancho.

Coman is pretty much similar to Willian. A winger with good feet & acceleration but lack of end product, Willian's level is where I see his potential.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Sorry mate, but what a shit take. I‘ll leave you to it.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He's probably the unluckiest player currently in world football in that regard. He already publicly considered retirement aged 23. It seems everytime he gets going, he's out for a few months again and has to start all over again. If your training routine consists to 90+% of getting fit again, there's also not much time to work on your weaknesses. That being said, Sancho is a similarly good dribbler, not injury-prone and already has end product like few others. That's why he is so special.

However, I don't really see where Rashford's statistics are in a different league to Coman's. He's currently at 17 goals and 8 assists in roughly 2500 minutes, so more or less 100 minutes per scorer. However, 6 of those goals are penalties which neither Coman nor Sancho take. Those aside his quota goes up to 131 minutes per scorer. Last season exemplarily, Coman was at 127 minutes per scorer, so slightly better.

Trust me, if you watch him regularly, you'll get the hype. He's an incredible talent. If he moves club and gets his injuries under control, this could be a Robben story 2.0. Wouldn't bet on that, though.
I don't know if he is unlucky or if there is something wrong physiologically but his ability to be injured has no equal.

He is a dribbler and someone that is excellent in 1v1 with good balance and as @Zehner said he has a better touch than Dembélé but he has two big problems, you can't trust him to score goals and he is injury prone. The finishing part can be fixed and hopefully will if he stays fit but there is no reason to believe that he can stay fit.
Genuine question, if you have the choice of buying Sancho for 100m or Coman for 50-60m, who would you go for?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Genuine question, if you have the choice of buying Sancho for 100m or Coman for 50-60m, who would you go for?
Depends on the financial situation of the club. If you can afford it, definitely Sancho.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Safe to say Bayern isn't gonna sell him to us, after this. We are late to move, yet again

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
If Coman can play like this every game it's a no brainer.
That's a question of mentality, no question of talent.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Can't imagine Bayern would want to loose him, I don't believe they're keeping Perisic so they'll need more than just Gnabry and Sane next season

Chief123

Sancho for 100m. Not even a question.
Coman has played well today but this is not the kind of performance he puts in every time!

davidmichael

Coman plays from the left every time I’ve ever seen him play so why he’d be our alternative to Sancho I don’t know ? He’s a very good player but unless it’s to add depth to the left or to alternate with Rashford then Coman isn’t someone we need to look at.