Klopp Confirmed Liverpool Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerch

Probably not a popular opinion on a Manchester United forum, but I do think and I hope he will get them the Trophy next season.
It will be a football unseen in the Premier League so far and it might be enough to fluke that thing.
Probably...

Spoony

The People's President
I'd prefer Ancelotti over Klopp if I were a LFC fan. That said, I do like Klopp he's very infectious. But I don't think any manager in the world could do better than turn Liverpool into a top four side.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
It's getting concerning this might actually happen. I'm still holding out hope he'll decide against it once he actually sees Liverpool.

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
Yes, Dortmund and Germany had a great youth system that he benefited from and someone else was in charge of scouting/signings for the main part.
That's not really accurate.

He was not responsible for financial negotiations and such things but he was mainly in the driver seat for signing players in terms of their abilities.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I'm not particularly bothered about them getting Klopp. I'm not convinced he's a top manager, and the Premier League is much tougher than the Bundesliga (as Brendan Rodgers attest to). A top manager simply doesn't find himself bottom of the table halfway through the season, when the team he's in charge of are considered title contenders.

There's only one team consistently near the top of the German league, and that's Bayern Munich. Outside of them, there's a bit of a merry-go-round with the likes of Werder Bremen, Wolfsburg, Schalke, Bayer Leverkusen, Stuttgart, Hamburg, Monchengladbach and Dortmund having a stint in the top 3 and a bit of a title charge for a season or two, before disappearing into mediocrity for a while. It's almost as if when a good Bayern team reaches the end of its days, another team capitalises on the transition and has a decent pop at the title.

Klopp took over a decent but not great Dortmund side at a time when Bayern weren't really at the top of their game. Wolfsburg won the league in Klopp's first season, Bayern in his second, then he got it in his third season, with Leverkusen finishing ahead of Bayern too. Bayern then changed managers that April, with the new manager, Heynckes, seeing Klopp retain the title during his first season in charge at Bayern. After that, Dortmund were way off the pace for two seasons, before finding themselves in something of a relegation battle for a while in Klopp's final season.

There isn't a Bayern Munich-esque team in the Premier League. Chelsea, City, United and Arsenal are all good enough to be considered title contenders (although Chelsea are doing a bit of a Dortmund at the moment), and Liverpool are very much in the tier below. Instead of just having one club trying to poach all of his best players, Klopp will find Liverpool feeding City, Chelsea, Barca, Real, PSG, Juventus, and basically any of Europe's top clubs.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I'd prefer Ancelotti over Klopp if I were a LFC fan. That said, I do like Klopp he's very infectious. But I don't think any manager in the world could do better than turn Liverpool into a top four side.
Really? Most of Ancelotti's success came with already established teams, among the best in their respective leagues. Klopp on the other hand has taken over average sides, developed and improved them. The latter's skill set seems more suitable for Liverpool right now.

entropy

I hope Klopp knows what he is signing up for. The combination of impatient Liverpool fans with unrealistic demands and the trial by media approach by British Journalists, might just be a shit show in the making.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Really? Most of Ancelotti's success came with already established teams, among the best in their respective leagues. Klopp on the other hand has taken over average sides, developed and improved them. The latter's skill set seems more suitable for Liverpool right now.
Klopp has taken over one club and seen success with them. He earned promotion with Mainz and failed to consolidate their position in the top tier, before quitting after failing to win promotion again. He then took over Dortmund and capitalised on Bayern not being great, before being blown away for two seasons and eventually finding himself bottom of the league halfway through the season. Honestly, I'm yet to see anything to suggest that he's anything more than another flash in the pan manager that eventually got found out.

Spoony

The People's President
Klopp did wonders at Dortmund but he was relegated with his previous club. As for Ancelotti's he's got a great CV...Surely helping a club to promotion to the SerieA means he's well equipped to do well at lesser clubs as well? So, do you pick a man with a wealth of experience or a bloke who's only seen success at one club?

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
Klopp took over a decent but not great Dortmund side ...
That's where I stopped reading: The side Klopp inherited was quite far from decent.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Seen on RAWK:

Ancelotti is also under consideration. He's also interested in the position but believes he's second choice to Klopp. (Tony Barrett)

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Agree with all of that.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Klopp has taken over one club and seen success with them. He earned promotion with Mainz and failed to consolidate their position in the top tier, before quitting after failing to win promotion again. He then took over Dortmund and capitalised on Bayern not being great, before being blown away for two seasons and eventually finding himself bottom of the league halfway through the season. Honestly, I'm yet to see anything to suggest that he's anything more than another flash in the pan manager that eventually got found out.
That sounds very wrong though. He built the foundations for a Mainz side that has established itself in the Bundesliga by now.
You have to consider that a lot of money that Mainz was earning at that time went into stadium, academy and other facilities.

Also it wasn't like there were only Bayern in front of Dortmund at that time. You're talking about 4-5 other teams that had performed consistently better than Dortmund in that period.

In both cases his clubs took giant steps.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Keep telling that to yourself. You might believe it in the end.
At Mainz he layed the fundation for what they are today.
They never, ever were in the Bundesliga before him and it's very hard to stay up with such a small team.
Even then, his team played exciting football and catched the eye.

At Dortmund, he got a team which was a constant laughing stock for years. Really. I've got a TON of Dortmund jokes, they made comicly bad transfers (this african guy they got from the Netherlands...oh my...). And he got them challenging a Bayern team which was on the way up rather then going down. Van Gaal just took us to a Champions League final, we had Robben and Ribéry in their primes. He still got away with two championships and got them to a Champions League final (while finishing close second), the first true surprise appearance there since Porto under Mourinho.
Okay, he couldn't reproduce that in 2014 and 2015. Against a VERY good Bayern team, probably the best ever bar the constant injuries. And after losing his key players. And his last season wasn't nearly as bad as some peope them to think, the goals just weren't happening for some reason.

I don't like him, I don't like his behaviour and style, but a good manager he is.

Revan

Assumptionman
Im not too disappointed in him going there. It will be a shame to dislike him, but i think its a case of Emperor's new clothes. Hes just a better version of Brendan, and hes not going to turn them into a football superpower again.
To be fair, Ronaldo is just a better version of Nani.

Spoony

The People's President
I think I've been unfair on Klopp, he did well at Mainz and they're still reaping the rewards.

Kag

Probably not a popular opinion on a Manchester United forum, but I do think and I hope he will get them the Trophy next season.
It will be a football unseen in the Premier League so far and it might be enough to fluke that thing.
Klopp will get Liverpool playing football previously unseen in the Premier League before?

Revan

Assumptionman
Klopp will get Liverpool playing football previously unseen in the Premier League before?
Well, yes. THere is no team in EPL that had ever played as his Dortmund at their best.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
There are too many pros and cons of Klopp vs Ancelotti. Liverpool should contact Paul Lambert and save everyone some trouble.

Revan

Assumptionman
Numerous Ferguson sides and Wenger's best side, yes. By a considerable distance, too.
Not really. All three have been counter-attacking sides, but I think that the similarities end there.

I don't think that he said that no team has played as good as BVB, but that that type of football haven't been seen in EPL. It is different and it is quite good. Considering that it is different, it can get the teams on surprise.

Revan

Assumptionman
I think it is the other way around. Obviously, Ancelotti is more established, but he has always been a manager who got the best out of his team, not built it. Juve, Milan, PSG, Chelsea, Madrid all these teams were already top teams and then he got there, barely changed much and won a title or two.

Klopp on the other hand took a sleeping giant who were having all kind of troubles and made them again a force to be reckoned. Cannot see Ancelotti do well in Liverpool, but Klopp in the other hand is exactly what they need.

Kag

Not really. All three have been counter-attacking sides, but I think that the similarities end there.

I don't think that he said that no team has played as good as BVB, but that that type of football haven't been seen in EPL. It is different and it is quite good. Considering that it is different, it can get the teams on surprise.
It has. Their football was more or less a carbon copy of a Ferguson 90s side. There's absolutely nothing new about that Dortmund side. It was more of a throwback, infact.

Pressing, fast transition through the midfield, all rounder up top, aggressive positioning of the full backs. It's been done time and time again.

Von Mistelroum

They won't definitely finish above us ever. Nothing is ever definite in football but they'll have a good chance and I expect they will next year if they get Klopp. We shall have to wait and see though.

Revan

Assumptionman
It has. Their football was more or less a carbon copy of a Ferguson 90s side. There's absolutely nothing new about that Dortmund side. It was more of a throwback, infact.

Pressing, fast transition through the midfield, all rounder up top, aggressive positioning of the full backs. It's been done time and time again.
I just don't see it. They were more organized than we were ever under Ferguson, they pressed far more and they played more central than us under Fergie.

To make it clear, I am not saying that BVB has been a better team than any team in EPL, but they played very differently.

Obviously, you may simplify and see similarities. After 150 years of football, no tactic and system is completely novel.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The best players aren't going to suddenly flock to Liverpool if Klopp becomes their manager. Currency is still what footballers follow first and fore-mostly and Liverpool still won't be able to offer top wages.

What will be interesting though is what scouts he brings with him. I doubt he identified all those Dortmund gems so it'll depend what team he installs.

Acole9

Outstanding
Us United fans should do the honourable thing, put our rival with Liverpool to one side and not stop David Moyes taking over as their manager.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
There isn't a Bayern Munich-esque team in the Premier League. Chelsea, City, United and Arsenal are all good enough to be considered title contenders (although Chelsea are doing a bit of a Dortmund at the moment), and Liverpool are very much in the tier below. Instead of just having one club trying to poach all of his best players, Klopp will find Liverpool feeding City, Chelsea, Barca, Real, PSG, Juventus, and basically any of Europe's top clubs.
You mean like Real buying their best player in the first title winning season in 2011 and then United doing the same in 2012? Did you believe the Bundesliga is played on an isolated island with no foreign clubs allowed to interfere? It would explain a lot about your post actually.

gormless

Whilst he is a very good manager and I don't want him there, he wouldn't win the league with Liverpool. In Germany he succeeded as he only had 1 better funded club to compete with. If Bayern had a bad year, they could win the title. There is no way City, Arsenal, Utd and Chelsea all have off years

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
In some ways people overestimate what a coach can do with the team, I think if Klopp settles in well he can definitely get top 4 but winning the premier league is out of the question unless they get their hands on another top5 in the world player like Suarez

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Seen on RAWK:

Ancelotti is also under consideration. He's also interested in the position but believes he's second choice to Klopp. (Tony Barrett)
Hahaha

The universe where Ancelloti is our second choice. We're going to end up with De Boer. Reality has a way of evening itself out.

Skills

Snitch
Milan - London - Paris - Madrid - Liverpool? Doesn't really seem to fit Ancelloti. Plus I don't think they would be able to afford his salary. I think he was the highest paid manager in the world at Madrid and PSG.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Overrated manager that will be lapped up by the cretins of Merseyside. This is going to end in tears

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
It is funny though to see some people trying to put down Klopp as a manager, I personally think it's still a risk but the high is so massive that it's probably a risk Liverpool have to take.

Shiva87

In some ways people overestimate what a coach can do with the team, I think if Klopp settles in well he can definitely get top 4 but winning the premier league is out of the question unless they get their hands on another top5 in the world player like Suarez
Klopp will be able to attract top talent to a club like Liverpool. Just like LVG was able to attract top talent like BFS to us. Its just how it goes. If anyone here honestly believes that Klopp won't make Liverpool immensely stronger than Brendan, its a joke. Yes, he was bereft of ideas in his last season at Dortmund, but that was probably because he got tired of losing his best players season after season and still trying to keep up with Bayern. The disillusionment must have hit him hard - it would to any normal person.

He took a Dortmund team that was quite average and took them to the final of the Champions League. In the process they comprehensively outplayed a Real team that has been one of the best in the world for 3-4 seasons now.

I don't like Liverpool getting him as manager at all, purely because he has the ability and the pedigree to make them a real force again.

Status
Not open for further replies.