Klopp to leave Liverpool at the end of the season

ForceKing90

I think the decision to announce one's ''departure'' from the club, halfway through a season (I'm sure he planned on leaving before the season started) in which your team is in contention to win the league is a very strategic move. Wouldn't be surprised if this ''decision'' is quickly reversed if the scousers become champions.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
The brass neck on Klopp to moan about the refs after the match on Wednesday. Dickhead.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Interesting comments on Football 365 :

The Best Manager…of all time

Eleven years have passed but the greatest manager the PL has ever seen is undoubtedly Sir Alex Ferguson. Klopp still has a long way to be the best of anything.

I think the scousers need to thank God he retired because they wouldn’t have won anything – not with him as manager of Man Utd. He was the one to topple them from their perch and I believe it will be the same team as soon as things settle down to do just that again.

Man Utd. will always remain the best team and when they are not they still are because no team in the world gets anywhere near 1.2 billion supporters world-wide neither anywhere near having the iconic and legendary reputation.

Man Utd need to get rid of players that are mercenary and bring in new talents like Mainoo who came from the academy and at 18 can score goals one can only dream about.

Forget Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and think about next season. None of the top teams were great this season and Man Utd just need to get serious competitive players who follow law and order dictated by their manager. We cannot have Rashfords and the likes going to Belfast and returning sick when there was an FA cup tie. These must leave or pull up their socks and behave. If I had Stg 300.000 a week, I would be very serious indeed.

sugar_kane

The outpouring following his announcement is getting nauseating.

Don't get me wrong, it is huge news, and he is a great manager (if a bit of prick) but he's only been in the job for 8 years and his trophy haul is very good but hardly incredible.

Last night on MOTD2 they preceded the Arsenal game with a montage of all the times he's played Arsenal. Why? Is the Liverpool-Arsenal rivalry that relevant? Are they going to do this vs. every team between now and the end of the season? It honestly wouldn't surprise me.

It's more laughable considering they aired that knowing Liverpool went there and got beat 3-1.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Don't get me wrong, it is huge news, and he is a great manager (if a bit of prick) but he's only been in the job for 8 years and his trophy haul is very good but hardly incredible.
Which other PL managers have been at a club for 9 years and won basically every trophy there is to win, in the last 30 years or so?

sugar_kane

Which other PL managers have been at a club for 9 years and won basically every trophy there is to win, in the last 30 years or so?
So do you agree we need this constant outpouring every week? Where does it end?

It's not LFCTV, most of the country don't give a shit. If I was an Arsenal fan I'd be sat there gobsmacked knowing my team won yet the game is teed up by some Twitter level worship montage of the losing manager.

cyberman

Pretty sure any league winner over the last while would have won the odd FA or Carabao cup if they were allowed the leeway Klopp received for half of his sub par league finishes

I think that's the point. To have been there 9 years and won the league once, its not a SAF, Wenger or Mourinho rivalling stat (discounting Pep's cheating).

i do think hes the best current manager though and some degree of fawning is to be expected.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
So do you agree we need this constant outpouring every week? Where does it end?

It's not LFCTV, most of the country don't give a shit. If I was an Arsenal fan I'd be sat there gobsmacked knowing my team won yet the game is teed up by some Twitter level worship montage of the losing manager.
I fail to see why the result of the game matters - as if they put the montage together between the end of the game and the start of MOTD? They were airing it regardless and if I'm not mistaken, MOTD2 has those kind of clips (didn't watch the Klopp one) before every big game on Sunday with flashbacks to previous years. This was a clash between (now) the top 2 teams in the league a week after our manager announced his departure, chances were that it was going to be mentioned.

I don't agree that we need a "constant outpouring" every week but we won't get that either. Understable that it annoys you to no end as a Utd fan but Klopp's achievements during his time at Liverpool as well as his influence, character, what he stands for and how he embodies Liverpool the last few years, were always gonna lead to a quite emotional "farewell tour". If it was the other way around I'd stay clear of any social media and now and the end of the season to be honest because it would make me sick listening and watching to that much Utd related content.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I think that's the point. To have been there 9 years and won the league once, its not a SAF, Wenger or Mourinho rivalling stat (discounting Pep's cheating).

i do think hes the best current manager though and some degree of fawning is to be expected.
You're selling him short if you just describe his tenure as "won the league once". How he took over basically a perennial midtable team and transformed them into what we were (and currently still are to a degree), while being the person that he was/is - how he dominated the headlines and storylines in English football the last decade - has been quite something.

And "being the person that he was" doesn't mean he is faultless by the way, just to make that clear - he does moan about refereeing too much, he is hypocritical in interview especially after defeats, he is a sore loser, all that is true.

You're selling him short if you just describe his tenure as "won the league once". How he took over basically a perennial midtable team and transformed them into what we were (and currently still are to a degree), while being the person that he was/is - how he dominated the headlines and storylines in English football the last decade - has been quite something.

And "being the person that he was" doesn't mean he is faultless by the way, just to make that clear - he does moan about refereeing too much, he is hypocritical in interview especially after defeats, he is a sore loser, all that is true.
You are correct. I forgot the asterisk ;)

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

But that's the thing, he would've won more if Pep didn't cheat. We can look at statistics on paper but they belie the truth. Reaching high 90s in points should win you the league.

We can't claim City have cheated and then claim Klopp hasn't done that well.

cyberman

But that's the thing, he would've won more if Pep didn't cheat. We can look at statistics on paper but they belie the truth. Reaching high 90s in points should win you the league.

Then we would have won 2/3 (?) titles and it’s hard to pretend we’ve done well over the past decade

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Then we would have won 2/3 (?) titles and it’s hard to pretend we’ve done well over the past decade
You beat what's in front of you, so yeah we'd have had much better seasons but you can see in Klopp's points totals he's done very well. United haven't reached those highs.

cyberman

You beat what's in front of you, so yeah we'd have had much better seasons but you can see in Klopp's points totals he's done very well. United haven't reached those highs.
But we would have beaten Klopps Liverpool to two/three titles ourselves?
Thats the problem I have with Klopps praise and it’s subtly present in your post. You’ve just dismissed his sub par seasons and relegated our hypothetical titles below Liverpools. If Klopp doesn’t do well then nothing seems to count and it’s retconned to nothing substantial for everybody else. Problem is those sub par season accounts for a good 50 percent, if not more, of his reign

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Thats the problem I have with Klopps praise and it’s subtly present in your post. You’ve just dismissed his sub par seasons and relegated our hypothetical titles below Liverpools. If Klopp doesn’t do well then nothing seems to count and it’s retconned to nothing substantial for everybody else. Problem is those sub par season accounts for a good 50 percent, if not more, of his reign
He'd be on Mourinho's level at least then, the Premier League is a lot different without City's cheating and yes, Ole no patterns of play just fecking shoot, would probably have won the Premier League.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty

Right, but Liverpool/Klopp wouldn't have been the only team/manager to benefit from extra success if you removed City from the equation.

It's impossible to take oil-rich City out of the picture and not get all "butterfly effect", but possibly the biggest one there is Rodgers winning the league with Liverpool, potentially meaning Klopp never gets the job at all.

If you simply bump everyone up a spot (assuming City maintained their pre-lottery midtable status), United get an extra three league titles (including another threepeat for Fergie), as do Liverpool.

I also think the points thing is overblown. They were very impressive league campaigns, and I have to begrudgingly accept that they should have won the league (as City are massive cheats) but the prize is the same whether you finish on 96 points, 15+ points clear of second, or if you finish on 79 points, and clinch it on the last day.

Points totals are always relative season to season, and it's arguably just as impressive to win the league with a lower points total, indicating a more competitive league, than it is to win in a procession where you're clearly head and shoulders above everyone else (at least that time around).

One of the biggest (and perhaps only) blots on his record for me is the lack of consistency.

United were one point in 94/95 and two points in 97/98 from a clean sweep of the first nine Premier League seasons, and two points in 09/10 and one point in 11/12 from seven in a row between 06/07 and 12/13.

Klopp's Liverpool, despite their impressive points hauls in previous seasons, found themselves third, as title holders, behind Solskjaer's United, 17 points adrift of the top, and needing a late-season collapse from Leicester (and a Chelsea side preoccupied with the Champions League), as well as last minute winners by their goalkeeper, to even make the CL places.

Last season, despite 92 points (and an unsuccessful run at the quadruple) the season before, they ended up 5th, four points off the CL placed and 22 off the winners.

Ultimately, they haven't actually been a consistent second best to City, which is why people take issue with this idea that it's only their cheating that's stopped him from dominating the PL.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
The problem with your reasoning is that you seem to dismiss any "sub-par" (quod non) league season as a failure on his part.

16/17: top 4 finish in his first full season, still building towards his own squad after inheriting a bang average team
17/18: top 4 finish again and a CL final
18/19: runners-up with 97 points, won the CL
19/20: won the league
20/21: disappointing in the cups, still a top 4 finish. A rough stretch in Feb/Mar ruined our title hopes but still finished the league 10 games unbeaten while only losing once in our first 16 league games
21/22: runners-up with 92 points, won both domestic cups and got to the CL final
22/23: disappointing season after an exhausting 21/22 season
23/24: TBD but still in for 4 trophies in February

So where do you see those "sub-par" seasons you mention? This is a very logical curve, improving each year in the beginning with the culmination of our success in the period 2018-2022. The only seasons which we weren't up to standard were the years after we won the league, and the year after we were within striking distance of the quadruple midway through May. The point to take away from that is that he perhaps pushes his teams too far both mentally and physically which is not sustainable for years on end, but it's not like 21/22 was just your regular season either with the amount of games we had to play.

I honestly cannot remember a season apart from last season, during or after which I felt disappointed in him or the team. Even last year you just had this feeling of inevitability that we weren't going to be able to keep up our ridiculous level of play from the year before, and it was true.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Only just seen @Alex99's post.
One of the biggest (and perhaps only) blots on his record for me is the lack of consistency.
I agree on this one. He didn't follow up on our title winning season and our quadruple attempt season with (near) equally as strong league seasons, and that's fair to say. I don't blame him for that, but if you're evaluating his time at Liverpool then that's a fair criticism (like you mention, in my view the only one).

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Will be lovely if he ends up with no trophies / one league cup in his last season there.

cyberman

The problem with your reasoning is that you seem to dismiss any "sub-par" (quod non) league season as a failure on his part.

16/17: top 4 finish in his first full season, still building towards his own squad after inheriting a bang average team
17/18: top 4 finish again and a CL final
18/19: runners-up with 97 points, won the CL
19/20: won the league
20/21: disappointing in the cups, still a top 4 finish. A rough stretch in Feb/Mar ruined our title hopes but still finished the league 10 games unbeaten while only losing once in our first 16 league games
21/22: runners-up with 92 points, won both domestic cups and got to the CL final
22/23: disappointing season after an exhausting 21/22 season
23/24: TBD but still in for 4 trophies in February

So where do you see those "sub-par" seasons you mention? This is a very logical curve, improving each year in the beginning with the culmination of our success in the period 2018-2022. The only seasons which we weren't up to standard were the years after we won the league, and the year after we were within striking distance of the quadruple midway through May. The point to take away from that is that he perhaps pushes his teams too far both mentally and physically which is not sustainable for years on end, but it's not like 21/22 was just your regular season either with the amount of games we had to play.

I honestly cannot remember a season apart from last season, during or after which I felt disappointed in him or the team. Even last year you just had this feeling of inevitability that we weren't going to be able to keep up our ridiculous level of play from the year before, and it was true.
Inheriting a bang average team that ran riot in the league 12 months prior?
Let’s say Klopp leaves after every ordinary season he’s had as Liverpool manager, pick any one. Would the next manager coming in be known as a manager taking over a sub par team?

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Only just seen @Alex99's post.

I agree on this one. He didn't follow up on our title winning season and our quadruple attempt season with (near) equally as strong league seasons, and that's fair to say. I don't blame him for that, but if you're evaluating his time at Liverpool then that's a fair criticism (like you mention, in my view the only one).
He's easily one of the best managers the league has had, but he's clearly not on Fergie's level, and, at least in my view, is not a level above Wenger and Mourinho either.

For the sake of balance, I don't think you can even make an accurate judgment on Guardiola's abilities. Had a generational side at Barca containing perhaps the best player ever, with success still marred by blood-doping and match-fixing allegations, moved to the best side in Germany and kept them as the best side in Germany, and now at 115 charges FC.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It's a tricky situation, of course: you know you're on your last legs (figuratively), and that this will be your last season.

But I suspect it was a big mistake of him to declare he's leaving. The idea (as expressed by himself, publicly no less) that his players will give their all in a final hurrah is questionable at best.

bosskeano

oh dear
"It is unbelievable, then the of holding Havertz on Konate for the first yellow card. "Then Havertz goes down and the referee gives Konate a yellow card. "Gabriel does the same to Nunez and no yellow card."

tbf....he's dead on about this one and add salt to that Nunez got booked for his reaction

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It's a tricky situation, of course: you know you're on your last legs (figuratively), and that this will be your last season.

But I suspect it was a big mistake of him to declare he's leaving. The idea (as expressed by himself, publicly no less) that his players will give their all in a final hurrah is questionable at best.
I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to give him the most romantic of send off because Liverpool are the most sentimental fans in the country.

So many similarities with the death of Queen Elizabeth II this. Perhaps everyone will line up around Liverpool to pay their respects and Jamie Carragher will get in trouble for jumping the queue.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Worried Liverpool might start to challenge for things when this eejit fecks off. They might get someone competent in. Worrying times.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to give him the most romantic of send off because Liverpool are the most sentimental fans in the country.

So many similarities with the death of Queen Elizabeth II this. Perhaps everyone will line up around Liverpool to pay their respects and Jamie Carragher will get in trouble for jumping the queue.
08/09 springs to mind. Hadn't been in a title race for donkeys and suddenly, when United are about to equal their record, they're a title challenging side.

Immediately shite the bed the season after and end up seventh and sacking their manager.

mctrials23

I do love it when Liverpool lose a game. I don't think I have seen them lose a game in recent years where it wasn't for one of the following reasons:

Referee was against them
They just played really badly

Its never that they get outplayed. So arrogant that the only way they can lose is when they play so badly that their opposition only has to show up to beat them. The number of times I have seen Liverpool fans say "thats the worst I have seen us play in years" when they lose is just funny.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
You mean the greatest fans in the country (and the most knowledgeable).

And we all hope that Kloppo (the greatest, most knowledgeable and most fit - dentally - manager in the country) gets the sendoff he well and truly deserves.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Inheriting a bang average team that ran riot in the league 12 months prior?
Let’s say Klopp leaves after every ordinary season he’s had as Liverpool manager, pick any one. Would the next manager coming in be known as a manager taking over a sub par team?
That was in 2013-2014 with (and in large part due to) the best striker in the world at that time, who was gone before Klopp arrived. He didn't take over until October 2015.

The fact that you're even trying to bring that up shows that you're not trying to discuss this in good faith. This was his first starting XI in the league:

Mignolet; Clyne, Skrtel, Sakho, Moreno; Leiva, Can, Milner; Lallana, Coutinho, Origi. If you don't think that's a bang average PL squad then I guess we should just leave it at that.