Klopp to leave Liverpool at the end of the season

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
That came unexpected. But after the best part of a decade, it's not completely surprising.

JuriM

What do you mean ? It was not known publically until after the title had been secured.
The social media power wasn't half of what it is now, it's impossible to keep things as such a secret for months now.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Was thinking that also but I wasn't sure about the Nagelsmann situation. Would Klopp be seen as a good appointment?
Yes definitely. The DFB approached Klopp several times over the years, but he didn't want to leave Liverpool. Now that changes...

Nagelsmann will go back to coaching a club again, that's what everybody assumes, so that a new long term solution is needed has been clear for months now, but nothing so far really happened in that regard.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Honestly can't wait for Liverpool to be shit again. Klopp has had them overachieving for years.

Herman Toothrot

I think we're kidding ourselves if we ever considered Alonso a realistic prospect tbh. An ex Liverpool player who still seems very fond of the club. He'll only ever be interested in them or Madrid tbh, it's absolute fantasy to even suggest he'd be our coach.

Would be abit like Ruud van Nistelrooy managing Liverpool. It just doesn't make sense.
There's no way he would have turned down Manchester United. I'm sure if either Liverpool or Real were on the table instead then he would have gone there, but he wouldn't have turned us down.

We'll never know now.

All aboard the ETH astonishing turnaround train. Tut! Tut!

PeteManic

He must know that Salah is leaving in the summer. And Liverpool don't have the money or ideas to replace Salah. He is doing the right thing.

cyberman

Bayern won the treble 2013 after announcing Heynckes was going to leave at a similar time. In that case the players gave everything to give him a proper sendoff into (what was assumed to be) retirement. I guess that Liverpool team will be more close to Bayern than City in that regard.
Yeah but that Bayern side is genuinely one of the best I’ve ever seen. United / City were woven with managers that made them better than they were. England have been very slow in adapting European structure so the manager is (still) this overwhelming presence at the club so when there’s a shift there everybody feels it.
This does ha move a very end of era feel to it with important players aging or priming to leave as well

Kaos

What do you mean ? It was not known publically until after the title had been secured.
He wanted to keep it under wraps until his hand was forced prematurely by it being leaked to the media. Think Carrick mentioned it in his autobiography.

crossy1686

career ending
Yes definitely. The DFB approached Klopp several times over the years, but he didn't want to leave Liverpool. Now that changes...

Nagelsmann will go back to coaching a club again, that's what everybody assumes, so that a new long term solution is needed has been clear for months now, but nothing so far really happened in that regard.
Could be something in a swap regarding jobs then. Would probably suit all parties.

TheReligion

Abusive
I mean he's not wrong is he? He's an ex Liverpool player thats clearly fond of his old club, and so far they're still a better run club than we are. Not sure why it's outrageous to suggest he'd almost certainly pick them over us.
It’s just incessantly negative. Alonso is now the new messiah I assume and there’s literally no one who can touch him..

Rojofiam

They are FINISHED :lol:
On second thought, I could see all of Ljinders/Tuchel/De Zerbi/Alonso taking his place and doing well...but then again, they could utterly fail as well despite being good options on paper. A lot of their key players are getting on and I don't see them being able to replace Salah and VVD adequately. I was honestly surprised when Klopp signed that last extension to 2026.

IRELANDUNITED

So Bobo the clown is jumping ship. He knows the mighty Manchester United are on the way back and he’s getting out of dodge before it’s too late.

You absolutely love to see it.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Pay him the most of any manager in football history to get him to United. Whatever he has achieved over there it doesn't matter. You do whatever you can to get this calibre of manager at your club.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Could be something in a swap regarding jobs then. Would probably suit all parties.
Haven't thought about that myself, but it actually is an idea that makes a lot of sense. Nagelsmann and Klopp are not that different in their philosophies, so that would fit well, and they could both share insights with each other about their two teams, which should enable a smooth transition.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
So what's next for him? Sabbatical? Another top club? Germany? Maybe even Dortmund?

Semigoodlookin

I watched his announcement video. It was wholesome when he said he wants to try living a normal life. Of course, if he tips up at Madrid or in the German NT in six months, that sentiment goes out of the window. If not, he may be on an extended sabbatical if not retiring altogether.

BristolMick

What wonderful news to start the weekend with - incredible.

The problem with Klopp is he's such a likeable individual and man of the people. When he discusses social and political issues he's always on the right side and it's been so frustrating to have such a likeable person as Liverpool manager.

I'd take him at Old Trafford in a heartbeat. Excellent man manager and motivator who's done a sterling job at Liverpool.

Good Luck Jurgen.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Haven't thought about that myself, but it actually is an idea that makes a lot of sense. Nagelsmann and Klopp are not that different in their philosophies, so that would fit well, and they could both share insights with each other about their two teams, which should enable a smooth transition.
You think so? I believe Nagelsmann and Klopp are very different. Klopp's team are much more organized and less erratic

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Wow. Great news. He’s such a good manager but I could see him rock up somewhere like one of the big Spanish teams after a rest period and it not working out. He was allowed to shape liverpool in his image. I doubt he’d get the same leeway at another more recently successful club. Just a hunch.

Imagine he ended up managing here in a few years and doing the treble or something :lol:

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Don’t forget those 12:30 kick offs. Takes it toll on a man.

and his main rivals (everton, united and city,) being pinged with ffp charges, whilst he does everything above board.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Pay him the most of any manager in football history to get him to United. Whatever he has achieved over there it doesn't matter. You do whatever you can to get this calibre of manager at your club.
We all know this will not happen but lets imagine it does.

Would he fear for his safety ?

I still dont quite understand how Figo managed to pull off the Barca to Real move. All it takes is one nutjob and you are in trouble.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I think so. Posted already about him being far more spiky and irritable this year with media and journalists. Think it is all linked and don't think he's lying at all about being burnt out and being incapable of the intensity of it.

Demonstrates once again really just how incredible Ferguson was.
I interpret that explanation as being about more than just burn out. He alludes to something he will reveal at a later date which is contributing to his low energy. He says ""I have no problem now. I will have to announce it at some point". Possibly some sort of serious illness?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Bayern must surely be considering ripping up Tuchel's contract.

Apparently Klopp will only go to a country where he speaks the language so that's Spain out but that might be bullshit.

Manshaft job might be on offer in time for wc2026

Does he want to manage England?

stu_1992

Unreal! Very expected but this is great news. :lol: Never really thought I'd be celebrating a rival manager stepping down. It feels small time but here we are. :D

Hoping they have a collapse in form now, similar to what happened when Sir Alex announced retirement half way through the season (until he reversed it) all those years ago.

UpWithRivers

He must know that Salah is leaving in the summer. And Liverpool don't have the money or ideas to replace Salah. He is doing the right thing.
???? The Saudis will give them 200 mill. The scousers are jammy as fk like that. See Coutinho

Kaos

There's no way he would have turned down Manchester United. I'm sure if either Liverpool or Real were on the table instead then he would have gone there, but he wouldn't have turned us down.

We'll never know now.

All aboard the ETH astonishing turnaround train. Tut! Tut!
I'm not sure. He might have waited it out knowing both the Liverpool and Madrid jobs would inevitably soon be vacant. Even before this announcement he would have known the job would likely be available soon.

The United job would be too risky a proposition for him. We're notorious for being a graveyard for managers' reputations, not sure Alonso would risk that knowing he also risks burning all the goodwill he's had with Liverpool as well as chances of landing a job with them or Madrid if it does end badly with us as it has pretty much has for all our managers in the last decade.

crossy1686

career ending
So what's next for him? Sabbatical? Another top club? Germany? Maybe even Dortmund?
He's suggesting a sabbatical in his interview, but take that with a pinch of salt because he said that he informed the board of his decision in November and he left the door ajar to be convinced to stay on but they never came with any suggestions to keep him engaged.