Klopp to leave Liverpool at the end of the season

Greyfog

Supports
Enugu Rangers
Built the best team the EPL has ever seen on a shoestring budget. Not backed by the oil moguls or the organic riches of United.
Surely in the conversation with SAF?

Don't bite...is he feck.

GMok

Supports
ATK Mohun Bagan FC
While that may be true we also had to compete with the City cheats. Liverpool and Man United both finished as runners up to city 3 times in the past 11 years. So we are the victims of city’s cheating just as much as they are.
Alas, Runner up with a single point gap from the winner is a wee bit different from runner up with a 15 point gap.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Built the best team the EPL has ever seen on a shoestring budget. Not backed by the oil moguls or the organic riches of United.

Don't bite...is he feck.
He's a funny mix of trophies reduced by a dodgy City regime, yet has come below the last 4 United managers in separate seasons.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Alas, Runner up with a single point gap from the winner is a wee bit different from runner up with a 15 point gap.
Agreed.
In years to come people will look at 2nd place finishes and check the points gap :lol:

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!

Don't bite...is he feck.
Grey foggy brain?
Aaaaaaah the white comment.:D

croadyman

If City get hit by the changes next season we could plausibly be entering a new premier league era with City and Liverpool dropping a level. What an opportunity for an Ineos led Utd to get their shite together and climb back to the top.
I still don't see them getting anything major

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
Unsurprisingly with anything scouser related the media gushing has been neausiating and we've got about another five months of his farewell tour to go. God knows how bad it'd be if he'd won as much as Pep.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Fair play to him, though it seems a case of "small loan of $1 million in 1975."
Yup, that ball boy was only there because his dad has contacts at the club and he is by all accounts and pampered and smarmy cnut.

Source; I'm Scottish and we all know one another.

IrishRedDevil

TAA, Salah and VVD only have 18 months on their Contracts.

New manager will have to convince all 3 to renew and stay. That’ll be a nice first task.

Red00012

That's not really a point against Liverpool, they had 27 wins from 29 games before the pandemic, if anything the pandemic killed their momentum and was the reason they finished below 100 points. They were 25 points ahead of 2nd before COVID came in.

Anyway. They're cnuts. But I have to respect Klopp who is a great manager and has done a phenomenal job over there, and has reached the 3rd highest peak that any premier league manager has achieved, after Sir Alex and Pep. Once another manager wins the CL and the prem, they can join that group too.
You should have stopped typing after this. I’ll never respect anything or anyone to do with that club.

croadyman

Unsurprisingly with anything scouser related the media gushing has been neausiating and we've got about another five months of his farewell tour to go. God knows how bad it'd be if he'd won as much as Pep.
Yeah every game of theirs will be like this until end of the season. Wonder if INEOS could do the unthinkable and persuade someone to cross divide for first time in 60 years. Would you take anyone of them given the opportunity?

Josh 76

For the most part, you are right. I was just making s comment to a post of all time great in Premier League. Trophies are what counts if you want to talk about all time great in Premier League. For me that is. Nobody can deny the work he done in Liverpool last couple of years. At same time 4 years ago they were not even close what they are now and Klopp had couple of trophy-less seasons before they found their rythm.
Rodgers took a midtable Liverpool team to a slip away from the league title in one season. You make it sound Klopp took over a relegation threatened team.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Because you can do both of them in 1 offs.
Avram Grant was millimetres away from winning both for goodness sake.

To join a top tier or manager you need to have won multiples.

Yes Klopp was competing with a souped up City. But he also managed to come behind Van gaal, United Jose, Ole and Ten Hag in separate seasons. So it's not all och what they've have done without City.
Mentioning Klopp having transition seasons is pointless considering Mourinho got sacked 4 times in the Prem.

"You can do both in one offs"... Well, clearly no, as the only managers in premier league history to have built a side to win both the league and the Champions League have been Sir Alex, Pep, and Klopp. That's the list. It's not a fluke. Klopp also reached 2 other CL finals, and pushed this souped up cheating City team to the last game with record setting numbers 2 other times.

If there was this big list of managers who won both the champions league and the premier league with their teams, then maybe you'd have an argument. Ancelotti didn't manage to do it. Benitez didn't do it. Wenger and Mourinho didn't do it. It's just the 3.

Hammondo

Mentioning Klopp having transition seasons is pointless considering Mourinho got sacked 4 times in the Prem.

"You can do both in one offs"... Well, clearly no, as the only managers in premier league history to have built a side to win both the league and the Champions League have been Sir Alex, Pep, and Klopp. That's the list. It's not a fluke. Klopp also reached 2 other CL finals, and pushed this souped up cheating City team to the last game with record setting numbers 2 other times.

If there was this big list of managers who won both the champions league and the premier league with their teams, then maybe you'd have an argument. Ancelotti didn't manage to do it. Benitez didn't do it. Wenger and Mourinho didn't do it. It's just the 3.
Pep? He's won both in the same season.

bosnian_red

That's why I said nearly.

Your whole argument is that winning a league and champions league in a season means a special tier, so isn't the next best thing (tier wise) a league/CL win and FA cup win in the same season?

Special tier should only be reserved for those who have won the proper treble.
Winning the league and the Champions leagues isn't a fluke. You can fluke a cup competition like the fa cup. You might individually get a bit lucky to win a league when everyone else is shit like Leicester. But only great managers and great teams win both the league and the Champions League. Show me a team who have fluked that.

Of course there's a further special tier for winning them in the same season, quantity of wins, etc. But the first separator is building a team that won the league and the Champions League. That means you built a team that became truly the best in the world. Not finished 6th in the league and fluked the CL. Not just won the league but failed to even reach a CL final. That's not building the best.

We're comparing Klopp to Mourinho, yet Klopp achieved what Mourinho couldn't, and did it on a fraction of the relative budget that Mourinho did. Mourinho had that infinite funds like City do now in a time where spending was much lower otherwise. He had a global advantage in terms of spending, yet he didn't reach a CL final with Chelsea. And then was sacked, 4 times, with premier league clubs. So you can forgive Klopp having a few transition years given the competition did much worse in his off years.

bosnian_red

Pep? He's won both in the same season.
Yeah I put his name. It's just Sir Alex, Pep and Klopp who have built sides who managed to win the league and the CL. They become the top 3 because of that. Mourinho and Wenger failed to do so.

cyberman

Winning the league and the Champions leagues isn't a fluke. You can fluke a cup competition like the fa cup. You might individually get a bit lucky to win a league when everyone else is shit like Leicester. But only great managers and great teams win both the league and the Champions League. Show me a team who have fluked that.

Of course there's a further special tier for winning them in the same season, quantity of wins, etc. But the first separator is building a team that won the league and the Champions League. That means you built a team that became truly the best in the world. Not finished 6th in the league and fluked the CL. Not just won the league but failed to even reach a CL final. That's not building the best.

We're comparing Klopp to Mourinho, yet Klopp achieved what Mourinho couldn't, and did it on a fraction of the relative budget that Mourinho did. Mourinho had that infinite funds like City do now in a time where spending was much lower otherwise. He had a global advantage in terms of spending, yet he didn't reach a CL final with Chelsea. And then was sacked, 4 times, with premier league clubs. So you can forgive Klopp having a few transition years given the competition did much worse in his off years.
You can one hundred percent fluke a league and CL. Inter were a Lukaku block away from almost doing it last year.

bosnian_red

You can one hundred percent fluke a league and CL. Inter were a Lukaku block away from almost doing it last year.
Serie A is not the premier league. And Napoli won the league last year, but regardless inter are an excellent Serie A side relative to serie A teams.

If you can one hundred percent fluke it, why has nobody done it bar United with Sir Alex, City with Pep, and Liverpool with Klopp?

And it's nonsense to claim they fluked it anyway. He reached 3 CL finals in 5 seasons, and finished top in the league and 2nd on 2 other occasions in those 5 seasons along with winning the domestic cups. It's fair to say that Klopp undisputedly built a side that became the best in the world at a point in those years, and was otherwise a top 3 in the world throughout that time. For that, he goes ahead of managers who never built a side to be a top 3 or even top in the world during any period of their management in England.

Werd.

Right so Di Matteo's CL win was a fluke against Bayern, yet, the best ever team to exist had to only beat Spurs and kept losing to Madrid in other finals.

What a load of garbage. Downplaying Mourinho's achievement to worship Klopp. Truly wierd stuff.

Werd.

Serie A is not the premier league. And Napoli won the league last year, but regardless inter are an excellent Serie A side relative to serie A teams.

If you can one hundred percent fluke it, why has nobody done it bar United with Sir Alex, City with Pep, and Liverpool with Klopp?

And it's nonsense to claim they fluked it anyway. He reached 3 CL finals in 5 seasons, and finished top in the league and 2nd on 2 other occasions in those 5 seasons along with winning the domestic cups. It's fair to say that Klopp undisputedly built a side that became the best in the world at a point in those years, and was otherwise a top 3 in the world throughout that time. For that, he goes ahead of managers who never built a side to be a top 3 or even top in the world during any period of their management in England.
Why hasn't Klopp done the treble yet like SAF, Pep and Jose?

bosnian_red

Right so Di Matteo's CL win was a fluke against Bayern, yet, the best ever team to exist had to only beat Spurs and kept losing to Madrid in other finals.

What a load of garbage. Downplaying Mourinho's achievement to worship Klopp. Truly wierd stuff.
Are you ignoring that Klopp won the league with 99 points, reached 2 other CL finals and won the CL as well?

I'm not downplaying Mourinho. He simply didn't win the CL with Chelsea. He didn't make Chelsea into the best team in Europe. Di Matteo had a great interim run where he fluked a CL yes, and his true level was seen in the league. Klopp won the league.... And won the champions league.

It's a simple and extremely fair requirement. Did you win the league and the Champions League? Not did you almost win it. Not did you win the fa cup instead of one of the main 2. Did you manage to win the top 2 priorities that EVERY SINGLE MANAGER has? If so, congrats, you built a side that became the best around without a doubt at one point.

That list is a list of 3 managers in the premier league era, with only Sir Alex, Pep and Klopp in it. Go back further in time and you can add Brian Clough, Bob Paisley and Joe Fagan after taking over Paisley's side, and then Sir Matt Busby. That's it. That's the list. It's not a fluke to have built a side to do both in English history, when there is an extremely small list of undisputed great managers to have done so. 7 managers in all of English football history and Fagan the only one to just take over an already great team there and carry on success.

bosnian_red

Why hasn't Klopp done the treble yet like SAF, Pep and Jose?
Mourinho never did it in the premier league. So take him off the list. We are ranking between Wenger, Mourinho and Klopp, and I'm explaining why Klopp is ahead of the other 2. Of course Klopp isn't on par with Sir Alex and Pep

As I said above.

Sir Matt Busby. Brian Clough. Bob Paisley. Joe Fagan. Sir Alex. Pep Guardiola. Jurgen Klopp.

That's the list of managers who have won the premier league and the Champions League. Go ahead and rank within that. Leave the others out of it because everybody else failed to achieve what they set out to do, what they dreamed of doing.

Last edited:

Hammondo

Mourinho never did it in the premier league. So take him off the list. We are ranking between Wenger, Mourinho and Klopp, and I'm explaining why Klopp is ahead of the other 2.
I would agree with that, and I would add these is a pretty boy gap between klopp and the other 2.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Blimey this is getting a bit dull now folks. Can't we just agree he's a top manager who ranks up there with other top managers and, all being well, the vermin twats will be a lot less good without him?

Hammondo

Blimey this is getting a bit dull now folks. Can't we just agree he's a top manager who ranks up there with other top managers and, all being well, the vermin twats will be a lot less good without him?
That's fair enough, but I really don't see the point of adding the insults, it doesn't reflect well on anyone.

The added problem though is that we might be competing with Liverpool for certain managers.

bosnian_red

I would agree with that, and I would add these is a pretty boy gap between klopp and the other 2.
Yup for sure. The question isn't who is a better manager in football history, or who accomplished more. We're only looking at their impact on premier league clubs. Who managed to achieve the most while managing an English club. So there's no sense in looking at what Mourinho did at Porto or Inter. If you do, then yes, Mourinho is ahead of Klopp in general football terms, but not in English football terms.

bosnian_red

That's fair enough, but I really don't see the point of adding the insults, it doesn't reflect well on anyone.

The added problem though is that we might be competing with Liverpool for certain managers.
Eh I think it'll be pretty smooth. Xabi Alonso will likely go to Liverpool, I'm hoping we go for de Zerbi. We'll likely compete for sporting directors though.

Hammondo

Yup for sure. The question isn't who is a better manager in football history, or who accomplished more. We're only looking at their impact on premier league clubs. Who managed to achieve the most while managing an English club. So there's no sense in looking at what Mourinho did at Porto or Inter. If you do, then yes, Mourinho is ahead of Klopp in general football terms, but not in English football terms.
That is absolutely fair enough, and I agree with you.

I think if Klopp continues his winning ways he could overtake Mourinho, but he's going to need to do quite a bit more.

Hammondo

Eh I think it'll be pretty smooth. Xabi Alonso will likely go to Liverpool, I'm hoping we go for de Zerbi. We'll likely compete for sporting directors though.
Possibly, and I wouldn't be unhappy with either. Both have clear visions of their football, and can implement it.

Before the ratcliffe changes I would have been hesitant we could create a team to play their football, now I'm far more optimistic.

Werd.

Mourinho never did it in the premier league. So take him off the list. We are ranking between Wenger, Mourinho and Klopp, and I'm explaining why Klopp is ahead of the other 2. Of course Klopp isn't on par with Sir Alex and Mourinho.

As I said above.

Sir Matt Busby. Brian Clough. Bob Paisley. Joe Fagan. Sir Alex. Pep Guardiola. Jurgen Klopp.

That's the list of managers who have won the premier league and the Champions League. Go ahead and rank within that. Leave the others out of it because everybody else failed to achieve what they set out to do, what they dreamed of doing.
I'll just keep it simple. As it stands, Mourinho has achieved more than Klopp in England. It's upto Klopp to best that.

Both are great managers and have impacted English football greatly. Everything else for me is white noise.

Hammondo

I'll just keep it simple. As it stands, Mourinho has achieved more than Klopp in England. It's upto Klopp to best that.

Both are great managers and have impacted English football greatly. Everything else for me is white noise.
I would argue while managing an English team Klopp has won more with less.

Werd.

Are you ignoring that Klopp won the league with 99 points, reached 2 other CL finals and won the CL as well?

I'm not downplaying Mourinho. He simply didn't win the CL with Chelsea. He didn't make Chelsea into the best team in Europe. Di Matteo had a great interim run where he fluked a CL yes, and his true level was seen in the league. Klopp won the league.... And won the champions league.

It's a simple and extremely fair requirement. Did you win the league and the Champions League? Not did you almost win it. Not did you win the fa cup instead of one of the main 2. Did you manage to win the top 2 priorities that EVERY SINGLE MANAGER has? If so, congrats, you built a side that became the best around without a doubt at one point.

That list is a list of 3 managers in the premier league era, with only Sir Alex, Pep and Klopp in it. Go back further in time and you can add Brian Clough, Bob Paisley and Joe Fagan after taking over Paisley's side, and then Sir Matt Busby. That's it. That's the list. It's not a fluke to have built a side to do both in English history, when there is an extremely small list of undisputed great managers to have done so. 7 managers in all of English football history and Fagan the only one to just take over an already great team there and carry on success.
My point was there is always an element of luck when winning cup finals. Liverpool came up against Spurs and won, would the outcome have been the same if they faced Madrid instead? Yet, here you are downplaying Di Matteo's CL win as a fluke. Luck is required to win cups.

Anyway, will move on now.