View full 2023-24 profile

6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I remember Billy Gilmours debut for Chelsea.
Gilmour is doing stellar things for a side who finished in Europe last season and are currently 8th. Injuries curtailed his career at Chelsea but it's hardly like he's a completely busted flush hype job. If Mainoo ends up in Gilmour's position 4 years down the line, he's still had [having] a very good career.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I think the inherent style is closer to Pogba but is being molded to play like De Jong. Someone like @Adnan or other academy watchers can confirm.
That must be some molding because his game doesn’t resemble Pogba at all apart from the ability to dribble in midfield.

Pogba dawdles too long on the ball and he’s too reliant on his athleticism to bail him out of presses.

Mainoo on the other hand plays like he knows what he’s going to do next even before the ball arrives at him.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Gilmour is doing stellar things for a side who finished in Europe last season and are currently 8th. Injuries curtailed his career at Chelsea but it's hardly like he's a completely busted flush hype job. If Mainoo ends up in Gilmour's position 4 years down the line, he's still had [having] a very good career.
Sure? I wasn't suggesting otherwise!

poleglass red

keeps everything simple and makes it look effortless, great traits to have as a centre mid. Loved the way he busted a gut to get back and makes blocks, he give away 2 corners in a row as he slid into to block crosses. To see that desire and energy is refreshing, for too long now this season we've been used to Eriksen, McT and Casemiro causally stroll back as the opposition counters us.Early days of course, but signs look good. He still needs help though in there, especially against better quality teams. Him and a Casemiro from the middle of last season would be great to watch.

Glorio

I thought Hannibal looked like a headless chicken (nothing to do with his haircut) when he came on. He ran around a lot, but with zero composure. That was the big thing with Mainoo, he was so composed.
Hence my point about Mainoo's composure - many of the youngsters we have are quite skillful on the ball and hardworking off it. It's not uncommon to see them get a shot and run around trying too hard to impress. Mainoo's composure however, is and has always been different class.

Raven

His style reminds me a little of Jack Wilshere back when he was breaking through.

RedorDead21

That is true but still I don't see many similarities between them. Carrick used to play deep in midfield but he was never the one comfortable against press (be that Barca or Everton), and he barely run with the ball. He was all about passing and understanding of the game both on and off the ball, but that alone doesn't make him and Mainoo similar players.

I think it's fascinating it's so difficult to describe what kind of player Mainoo is. But when you see him on the ball you just get it.
He’s a kid who had a good debut amongst a very very poor bunch. We need Case to partner him consistently and then we need to judge Mainoo after 15/20 games. He could be just another flash in the pan who knows it’s a tiny sample size.

quadrant

Simply having a player who can receive the ball on the half turn from the defence, then either carry it forward or find an attacker with a central pass, is bound make an outsized impact, given the complete lack of players who can do that in the squad right now. So irrespective of exactly how good he ends up being, his style of play will get him plenty of opportunities this season.

One thing though, is that physically he's still quite slight. No criticism there when he's aged 18, and from the look of his frame he look's like he'll fill out fine. But he's not going to be playing 3 times a week til the end of the season, even if his form is excellent. So ETH needs to figure out the best way to use him.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Hope ETH keeps giving him games, I love seeing our own youngsters succeed.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Think Amarabat, Mainoo, Bruno is the midfield we should have going forward.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
It's been a horror season so far, let people get carried away at some hope!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
That is true but still I don't see many similarities between them. Carrick used to play deep in midfield but he was never the one comfortable against press (be that Barca or Everton), and he barely run with the ball. He was all about passing and understanding of the game both on and off the ball, but that alone doesn't make him and Mainoo similar players.

I think it's fascinating it's so difficult to describe what kind of player Mainoo is. But when you see him on the ball you just get it.
Yeah he was far more like a Scholes than Carrick IMO. Better defensive covering and more physical naturally, obviously nowhere near that level of passing and remains to be seen how his vision can be, but in terms of understanding space, consistency in touch and movement to receive the ball deep, being able to take the ball on the half turn and evade pressure and carry it a bit before playing the smart pass out wherever... That was all very Scholes-esque.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I didn't watch the game but I Loved his "every touch compilation video" that goal line clearance was something else and his composure on the ball is something else
His movement was fantastic for that clearance. Spotting the danger, anticipating the shot, getting into position. He did that a few times today and it made a massive difference, including when he was on the ball himself. And he's 18 ffs! If he's got that intelligence and composure so early in his career then who knows what level he'll be at his peak.

He's our Anakin Skywalker. We better not feck this up :lol:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
His movement was fantastic for that clearance. Spotting the danger, anticipating the shot, getting into position. He did that a few times today and it made a massive difference, including when he was on the ball himself. And he's 18 ffs! If he's got that intelligence and composure so early in his career then who knows what level he'll be at his peak.

He's our Anakin Skywalker. We better not feck this up :lol:
I think what’s really important to note is that it’s us fans and pundits cooing whilst for Mainoo, it looked like a stroll in the park; completely unphased and playing like it was his 200th game rather than his full pro debut. I don’t know what registers in his own head as a great performance, but for him, this looked like nothing he went :cool: when he got off the pitch.

he’s got some much better midfields coming than what Everton served up, and it’s going to be really interesting to see if that flusters him in any way, shape or form.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
It's been a horror season so far, let people get carried away at some hope!
This is it for me. So some people in this thread are being optimistic - What's wrong with that? Our thoughts on the player have absolutely zero effect on what can and will happen. It's not like we're all in a submarine, with the red warning lights going off, but we've decided to stop fixing a leak to have a party because someone got the microwave working again.

Enjoy the positives from time to time for fecks sake. Embrace the joy for a few seconds and stop being so gloomy all of the time. Or at the very least stop trying to poison everyone else with your negativity. Otherwise why are you even bothering with football in the first place?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I am excited for him and what comes next. But that wasn't an 8/10. If McTominay gives the same performance he probably get a 5.5. It was 6.5/10 at the most, which is great for a kid coming in. But our biggest problem today was the midfield, so I have a problem giving MOTM to a player who was part of the 3 that couldn't control the game...
I agree it wasn't an 8/10, but it was at least a 7 if not 7.5. Probably the latter due to clearing the ball off the line and the defensive block a few minutes later.

If Scott gave that same performance I would say it was probably the best actual midfield performance he's had since Spurs a couple years ago. Even when Scott plays well it's normally only on the individual level, rather than doing much to help the team function like a midfielder is supposed to. It's why while everyone else talks about that Leeds performance, I most fondly remember the Spurs match the same season where he actually controlled the team around well that day.

Red Rash

I just rewatched his highlights and considering the circumstances that was one hell of a debut.

Mainoo made his debut, just returned from injury, in a team whose midfield has been terrible this season,away from home and against a strong opponent with a point to prove.

Looked super composed on the ball and almost always retained possession, strong defensively and good physical attributes. It actually surprised me considering he isn't the tallest but he actually competed aerially pretty well.

Early days for sure but looks like a top tier talent.

Pickle85

This is it for me. So some people in this thread are being optimistic - What's wrong with that? Our thoughts on the player have absolutely zero effect on what can and will happen. It's not like we're all in a submarine, with the red warning lights going off, but we've decided to stop fixing a leak to have a party because someone got the microwave working again.

Enjoy the positives from time to time for fecks sake. Embrace the joy for a few seconds and stop being so gloomy all of the time. Or at the very least stop trying to poison everyone else with your negativity. Otherwise why are you even bothering with football in the first place?
Weird analogy of the week for me - loved it!

Alemar

If Mainoo ends up in Gilmour's position 4 years down the line, he's still had [having] a very good career.
Hopefully, in 4 years time Mainoo will be at the level of current de Jong or Tchouameni, not Gilmour

Cantona in disguise

The lad reads the game so well for someone of his age. The atmosphere didn't bother him one bit from the first minute he wanted the ball and in tight areas.

He looks like he could be a real player. He's going to need time and patience of course.

dubplate warrior

I want him next to Casemiro, not instead of him. Those behind Bruno/Mount would be great.
Exactly. They actually complement each other too. Casemiro traditionally starts up in the middle and drops back, Kobbie can pick up the ball deep and drive forward.

Alemar

Exactly. They actually complement each other too. Casemiro traditionally starts up in the middle and drops back, Kobbie can pick up the ball deep and drive forward.
Also Casemiro is a very significant attacking threat, and he could utilize these skills more if there is an able DM (or defensively aware DLP for that matter) behind

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
keeps everything simple and makes it look effortless, great traits to have as a centre mid. Loved the way he busted a gut to get back and makes blocks, he give away 2 corners in a row as he slid into to block crosses. To see that desire and energy is refreshing, for too long now this season we've been used to Eriksen, McT and Casemiro causally stroll back as the opposition counters us.Early days of course, but signs look good. He still needs help though in there, especially against better quality teams. Him and a Casemiro from the middle of last season would be great to watch.
Totally agree. I hope he gets a number of games this season, but overplaying a lad at 18 is a very distinct possibility, so I hope Ten Hag does the best for him, and the club's future, and also the caf doesn't go overboard on him playing every week.
I would like to think that this is the sort of player that a team could be built around in time, but yes, it is early days, but the signs are good.

didz

You know when I was watching Mainoo yesterday I was thinking about Cesc's breakout season.

People forget, before Cesc became a more attack minded midfielder, he was effectively Viera's replacement. He played that role of getting the ball deep, turning and moving through the thirds.

As much as I hated Arsenal back then, I admired how he could pick up the ball and run right through midfield and then play through balls. I see that style of player in Mainoo. If he can get anywhere near that level we'll be set for years.
Fabregas was who came straight to my mind as well.

It was far from an easy game to make a first start in either, but we were able to build play through the middle at a good tempo against an Everton side that are usually pretty good at stopping teams from doing exactly that.

SoCross

Of course he’s going to at some point get the ball nicked off him and concede a goal due a defensive error.

But the talent is there to see. Let’s hope he applies it, works hard and grow on the promise he’s shown so far up to date - from a standout youth player to a very promising debut in an extremely aggressive ground.

Hope he starts the next game too!

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
This is my take on Hannibal as well, I am a bit surprised he's getting so much praise on here. Looks like he has a decent skillset but I don't see a midfielder in him, runs around crashing into people way too often to play him regularly as well. We also have too many no10s already so I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone in the summer tbh. He provided legs a few times and that will be his role in the squad I reckon.
My impression of Hannibal is that he plays quite differently depending on what role he's in. When he's played further forward (which is how we've used him this season) he is much like you say, more just a ball of unlimited energy but he rushes things a bit too much at the expense of some quality. However when he plays deeper he seems more calm and collected, and looks to dominate more with his positioning and passing rather than his physicality. Admittedly that's based on a relatively small sample size, but it's the impression I've got from him so far.

I'd love to see Mainoo and Hannibal played together in a deeper role at some stage, but ETH does seem adamant he only wants one midfielder sitting this season and the others both getting forward a lot.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think the inherent style is closer to Pogba but is being molded to play like De Jong. Someone like @Adnan or other academy watchers can confirm.
I'd say stylistically there's similarities between Mainoo and a young Thiago Alcantara. EtH is utilising Mainoo as the single pivot in midfield currently but I think going forward Mainoo is best utilised as the #6/#8 hybrid who will drop deep in the build up phase and advance forward in a deeper roaming playmaker role. I think we should sign a long-term holding midfielder who has the ability to resist/evade the opponent's press in possession along with being physically and athletically capable.

In the youth teams there's a number of young players who are natural playmakers in central midfield and they're young players who are being coached to play with courage in possession and want to get on the ball even under pressure. And it starts with the GK (Harrison) who is very accomplished on the ball for his age. I expect to see at least a few more young midfielders knocking on the door in the next year or two.

tomaldinho1

like Januzaj 13-14, Martial/Rashford 15-16
I still maintain it was crazy to watch Januzaj and think he'd be a great player. Rashford has had a good career including multiple excellent seasons. Martial's legacy is just soured by the last few seasons when he should have been sold, he was good/great to varying degrees in the earlier part of his time here.

romufc

I just rewatched his highlights and considering the circumstances that was one hell of a debut.

Mainoo made his debut, just returned from injury, in a team whose midfield has been terrible this season,away from home and against a strong opponent with a point to prove.

Looked super composed on the ball and almost always retained possession, strong defensively and good physical attributes. It actually surprised me considering he isn't the tallest but he actually competed aerially pretty well.

Early days for sure but looks like a top tier talent.
Exactly this. Its not a League or FA cup game at home, this was an away PL game against a crowd who were really up for it, coming back from injury.

It was a brilliant display considering the above. Sometimes you can tell a player by how much time they have on the ball, its not like a forward who scored on debut but didn't do much else.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I thought he was good but how people are giving him MOTM is beyond me. He gave the ball away a lot and didn't really do anything special. He kept it simple, which is good, and he worked hard. I want to see more of him, but I think people are getting carried away here and are going to end up putting unrealistic expectations on him if we are giving him 8/10 for a 6/10 performance.
There's always one

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Hence my point about Mainoo's composure - many of the youngsters we have are quite skillful on the ball and hardworking off it. It's not uncommon to see them get a shot and run around trying too hard to impress. Mainoo's composure however, is and has always been different class.
That's the most obvious thing about his game just after 5mins of watching him

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I thought he was good but how people are giving him MOTM is beyond me. He gave the ball away a lot and didn't really do anything special. He kept it simple, which is good, and he worked hard. I want to see more of him, but I think people are getting carried away here and are going to end up putting unrealistic expectations on him if we are giving him 8/10 for a 6/10 performance.
wtf?