Kobe Bryant - What’s his legacy?

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
I think a lot of posters on here underestimate how difficult it is for someone of his stature to get charged. Not to mention the sheer amount of money that gets poured into rebranding his image. It isn't a coincidence that fans are conflicted when it comes to issues such as this. It is exactly how such cases are handled by PR firms.
I appreciate that but we shouldn't blindly place our sports favourites on pedestal. They can be allowed to have flaws as much as we can admit that they could be arseholes in real-life, they're only humans. Being gifted in one field doesn't mean they are perfect and their every utterance or act needs worshipping.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
I'm not distraught, just stunned and sad.
Every death is sad and shocking but I accept that you personally are not distraught, I'm not upset though that anyone may be, it was just how you framed your point that I might be upset that you and others could be. All settled now?

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Kobe legacy for me. Don’t really care about
Basketball or any US sport. Was aware that Kobe was very very popular and like the basketball equivalent of Ronaldo for success and marketing. But play me a recording with him talking and I wouldn’t have a clue who it was.

Since he died I’ve listened to a few of his interviews . And it’s like a new discovery for me because didn’t know much about him. I’ve found his very articulate, very engaging, some very inspiring things. Interesting upbringing and AC Milan supporter, highly intelligent speaks 5 languages (I think)
1) He never got into the clubbing and partying, while the grown men in his team were clubbing he’d concentrate on his craft. That mentality lasted even when clubs became legal for him.
2) As soon as he became pro he was already thinking “what am I going to do after this “
3) Structured lifestyle. Woke up 4am. Gym. Drop kids off, practice, pick kids up.
4) learns from others and teaches to others

So while his basketball achievements mean nothing to me as it’s a game I don’t relate to so can’t put into perspective. I’ve found there’s a lot about his mindset and way of talking that I like.

Last edited:

entropy

I appreciate that but we shouldn't blindly place our sports favourites on pedestal. They can be allowed to have flaws as much as we can admit that they could be arseholes in real-life, they're only humans. Being gifted in one field doesn't mean they are perfect and their every utterance or act needs worshipping.
I agree. One has to be delusional to not take such accusations seriously.

Oo0AahCantona

Only skimmed the thread, most of the discussion seems to be around the rape allegation vs him as a role model vs what is justifiable to question peoples legacy.

My question would be when you have a public figure who has undoubtedly done massive amounts of good, how do you measure the weight of the persons legacy vs their failings and any reprehensible acts they may also have done.
ie if somebody cured cancer and let the patent out for free, but they also killed someone, which takes precedent for the legacy? or do you weight it accordingly.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
To me it has come across as if some, like @Florida Man for example are too touched by the player to accept people genuinely believing and advocating for others to see reasons for Kobe Bryant's alleged wrongdoings. It has even gone as far as mocking peoples reasons to even talking about it, instead of focusing on the severity of the case itself.
Cool false accusations there. I said he was my favorite player, not my idol. I also concluded that I just don't know what exactly happened, but I made specific counter points to an argument earlier. I called out anyone who were convinced that he was a rapist and posting as if he was guilty. That's not the same as having a belief about what happened, let alone me mocking people for such.

To add to this I believe not only the time matters, but the place as well. Which is why I mentioned having it in its own thread feeling as if it is swept under the rug. But I suppose it is easier to moderate it if it is confined to its own topic so I don't think the decision is without reason.
Yes, a seven-paged (and counting) thread that's in a publicly available section of a popular online forum equates to being swept under the rug. It's not a difficult thing to grasp. We have a thread to express grief, talk about the tragedy and offer condolences. We have another thread to talk about his legacy and controversies. It's not any different from a number of other topics on here where there are dedicated threads, yet no one was complaining about those being "oppressive" as some other posts have said.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
A more interesting question to me: had this accusation been made in 2018-2020, would he have been sacked from his team and all of his sponsor deals cancelled before stepping a foot in a courtroom?

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Cool false accusations there. I said he was my favorite player, not my idol. I also concluded that I just don't know what exactly happened, but I made specific counter points to an argument earlier. I called out anyone who were convinced that he was a rapist and posting as if he was guilty. That's not the same as having a belief about what happened, let alone me mocking people for such.

Yes, a seven-paged (and counting) thread that's in a publicly available section of a popular online forum equates to being swept under the rug. It's not a difficult thing to grasp. We have a thread to express grief, talk about the tragedy and offer condolences. We have another thread to talk about his legacy and controversies. It's not any different from a number of other topics on here where there are dedicated threads, yet no one was complaining about those being "oppressive" as some other posts have said.
It's not an accusation. I'm saying that it is how it comes across to me.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Only skimmed the thread, most of the discussion seems to be around the rape allegation vs him as a role model vs what is justifiable to question peoples legacy.

My question would be when you have a public figure who has undoubtedly done massive amounts of good, how do you measure the weight of the persons legacy vs their failings and any reprehensible acts they may also have done.
ie if somebody cured cancer and let the patent out for free, but they also killed someone, which takes precedent for the legacy? or do you weight it accordingly.
Probably not the right thread. But all murders aren’t judged equally, hence why prison sentences vary for murder convictions because the judge considers various factors. That’s for the most serious crime possible in law.
Whether people think it or not accept it or not, the same applies to rape. Hence why two people convicted of rape in the same city by the same judge could receive different sentences depending on multiple things.

So if someone was a great guy and killed someone I’d want to know the facts.

Florida Man

It's not an accusation. I'm saying that it is how it comes across to me.
Well you misinterpreted me and wrote it as if it was a true fact about what I said. And of all the posters you could have quoted, you decided to pick on mine for some reason even though I was pretty clear with my thoughts.

Florida Man

I know nothing about basketball. I've heard of a few players (including Kobe Bryant) of course.

Where does he rank all time? Top 5? Top 10?
Second behind Michael Jordan in my opinion. I'm also a Lakers fan so take that into consideration. A lot of fans would classify LeBron James as second best or even the GOAT depending on who you ask.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I know nothing about basketball. I've heard of a few players (including Kobe Bryant) of course.

Best shooting guard after Michael Jordan and I think most people would put him in their top 10.

Florida Man

I think these people get genuinely annoyed by how people over-idolize a dead celebrity. In some cases I understand if they feel like they need to calm these celeb-lovers down.
So with this thinking, how do you feel about the Munich Air Disaster?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Yeah, he's not the one coming across as the shit poster here. You seem intent on rubbing people up the wrong way.
He is right though.

Ever since he was promoted his every post is either failed attempt at sarcasm, criticising other posters because they have their opinion, pretending he is know it all poster, you would think he is here for 20 years seeing the style of his posting. I can even understand older posters here who can't be bothered to discuss with new posters here some stuff, but literally every one of bans 20+k posts here is made of one or two sentence either criticising someone, trying to be funny, etc..

One of the worst posters of the last decade easily. And a returnee.

MTF

Top 10ish seems right. MJ, Lebron and Kareem tend to lock out the top, and from then on Kobe's in the debate with a bunch of other guys, but I think in most lists he would drop to the end of that top 10.

The Firestarter

He is right though.

Ever since he was promoted his every post is either failed attempt at sarcasm, criticising other posters because they have their opinion, pretending he is know it all poster, you would think he is here for 20 years seeing the style of his posting. I can even understand older posters here who can't be bothered to discuss with new posters here some stuff, but literally every one of bans 20+k posts here is made of one or two sentence either criticising someone, trying to be funny, etc..

It looks like his name has caught up with him.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Top 10ish seems right. MJ, Lebron and Kareem tend to lock out the top, and from then on Kobe's in the debate with a bunch of other guys, but I think in most lists he would drop to the end of that top 10.
Who’s a comparable footballer to compare him to in terms of historical ranking?

Moby

Dick
Magic is also a shoe in for top-5 as is Wilt. Then you have the next batch of Russell, Bird, Shaq, Kobe, etc.

Moby

Dick
Most fans are stupid then. He is easily top 5, maybe even 3.
Who would you replace in the above list though. Jordan and LeBron are right up there. Magic is the Greatest Laker ever and someone who transformed the game. Possibly a case for Wilt given he's from the black and white era but can't really dispute with his numbers. But generally those along with Kareem would rank higher.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Who would you replace in the above list though. Jordan and LeBron are right up there. Magic is the Greatest Laker ever and someone who transformed the game. Possibly a case for Wilt given he's from the black and white era but can't really dispute with his numbers. But generally those along with Kareem would rank higher.

mu4c_20le

It would depend on the age of the fan.. if they have Kareem and Wilt in there then he would drop down a bit. But I think most fans who have not watched those two play, would probably put him after Jordan, maybe Magic. LBJ is below him sorry

Florida Man

Magic is also a shoe in for top-5 as is Wilt. Then you have the next batch of Russell, Bird, Shaq, Kobe, etc.
Magic considers Kobe the greatest Laker of all time so that's got to be worth mentioning. Shaq was too limited to be in a top 5 if you ask me. He offered nothing around the perimeter and couldn't shoot free throws to save his life. I can't comment on the others since I wasn't alive to see them play, but I wouldn't take any problem if others put them ahead of Kobe. There are good cases to be made for a number of players to take up #2–5.

Bojan11

He is right though.

This.

I called him out on it last week because his last account got banned for trying to be sarcastic in every post. I tried to help him out because I do not like to see people banned, but he just does not listen.

Hilarious thing is he doesn't admit Mali Zeus account is him when it is very obvious from his posts.

Florida Man

This.

I called him out on it last week because his last account got banned for trying to be sarcastic in every post. I tried to help him out because I do not like to see people banned, but he just does not listen.

Hilarious thing is he doesn't admit Mali Zeus account is him when it is very obvious from his posts.
Ah I remember that guy. I don't think he's that bad, but also consider that I barely remember anything he's posted.

Moby

Dick
It would depend on the age of the fan.. if they have Kareem and Wilt in there then he would drop down a bit. But I think most fans who have not watched those two play, would probably put him after Jordan, maybe Magic. LBJ is below him sorry
Yeah obviously he has a better case if you only include modern players.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Well he's definitely being humble and classy over there and especially after what happened. They're pretty close so it's fine to pick either.
West, Shaq and Johnson all said he was the greatest Laker of all-time before he died, and I'd agree with that but like you say it's close. Greatest Laker definitely doesn't mean better player than Magic either imo.

Still watching clips of him. Feck sake

Moby

Dick
Magic considers Kobe the greatest Laker of all time so that's got to be worth mentioning. Shaq was too limited to be in a top 5 if you ask me. He offered nothing around the perimeter and couldn't shoot free throws to save his life. I can't comment on the others since I wasn't alive to see them play, but I wouldn't take any problem if others put them ahead of Kobe. There are good cases to be made for a number of players to take up #2–5.
Yeah I would have all of Russell, Wilt and Kareem ahead of him as centers and he would agree as well. After that it's a close one between Shaq and Hakeem and I'll take Shaq because for all limitation on defense, offensively he was unguardable and the most dominant force seen in modern era. He'd make my top-10 but definitely not top-5.

Florida Man

West, Shaq and Johnson all said he was the greatest Laker of all-time before he died, and I'd agree with that but like you say it's close. Greatest Laker definitely doesn't mean better player than Magic either imo.

Still watching clips of him. Feck sake
When comparing to older generations of legends, do you take into consideration the level of talent these players had to compete with? What was the average competition like when Wilt and Magic were playing?

Moby

Dick

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Except most people bringing it up couldn’t give a shite about sexual assault victims.

(not specifically this case, just with these things in general).
I don’t think that’s true, I’m not sure how you can have such an insight into their motivations. Certainly I don’t like seeing someone who committed sexual assault (and I accept other people don’t believe he did) being talked about in such glowing terms, precisely for the reason that it is a feck you to sexual assault victims

No shit, that's why she brought a rape case against him. Look at the bolded below. Does that sound like someone who believed he raped her?
I mean yeah? He said he could understand why she felt she hadn’t consented. That’s pretty damning. It’s about as close as you can go without saying yeah I raped her.

You can give over with the patronising nonsense too.
I say this with the caveat that I think you’re a really good poster, and a fair staff member, but you said this earlier in the thread obviously aimed at @connor
As dodgy as people who only found out about the allegation yesterday suddenly becoming a self-appointed expert and leading a one man mission to ensure the whole world knows of the allegations?
That’s pretty patronising.

Florida Man

I'm aware and its understandable legends showing respect to each other. He's not gonna name himself and it's between those two for the title of the greatest Laker possibly along with The Logo. For me Magic's impact both on the franchise and the sport is greater.
Fair point. That's essentially why I place MJ as undisputed #1 among many other reasons of course. I'm just not old enough to have a real perception of the effects Magic had on the sport.