Kostas Manolas

United Pro

Rumours growing by the day that we're willing to pay his €36m release clause in the summer. He's a CB who's very solid defensively, incredibly quick, physically strong and is fairly experienced now. There are some worries about his temperament and he can be quite rash with some challenges. However for that price, it'd be a very good deal.

I also reckon we could be looking 2 new CB's come next season with perhaps Alderweireld, Koulibaly or de Ligt as a ball playing CB.

Here's a tweet linking Manolas to us:

Red Stone

His tackles are wild. He's clearly a bit mental, like Bailly. Doesn't get booked or sent off that much in Italy, though. Could be in trouble if he goes to a league where the pace is higher and he's late into the challenge, but he's looked the business in the Champions League so far.

One of the better CBs around at the moment in my opinion and at that price it would be a steal. I think he could function well with Lindelöf acting as a quick and aerially dominant defensive cover/hard man.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Step 1
Contract extension for Jones

Step 2
Sell Jones for 25m, Rojo for 25m and Bailly for 30m in the summer

Step 3
Sign Manolas for 35m and Alderweireld for 25m
Step 2 is the only part of this plan I could see being an issue

Dante

Average bang
If these descriptions are true, he's going to look like a relic in the post-VAR world.

VAR is coming in next season. The last thing we need is to invest in a prospect who's going to cost us multiple penalties every season.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
If these descriptions are true, he's going to look like a relic in the post-VAR world.

VAR is coming in next season. The last thing we need is to invest in a prospect who's going to cost us multiple penalties every season.
In which case, step 1 also becomes an issue

haram

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3
No one is paying 25 million for Rojo.

BlueHaze

This doesn't make any sense as his clause is active as we speak. If they want him why not just get him now then? :houllier:

Red Stone

How good is he on the ball?
Nothing special, but probably not much worse than any of our other CBs bar Lindelöf. He's a pure defender with a lot of pace and is better at that than any of our current CBs.

United Pro

This doesn't make any sense as his clause is active as we speak. If they want him why not just get him now then? :houllier:
Is the clause active now? If so why not just take him right now. It's only Roma :wenger:
That's what I don't quite understand. If the rumour is true, then either Manolas doesn't want to leave mid season or the release clause only becomes active in the summer.

Red Stone

He would be cup tied in the CL. Could be that he wants to see out the campaign with Roma considering they got to the semis last season.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Step 2 is the only part of this plan I could see being an issue
No one is paying 25 million for Rojo.
A decent DoF would easily get that.

Bailly: He is good defender, is 24 and many clubs in Spain/Italy/France would want him....okay but at least 25m should be possible.

Jones: All non-top 6 clubs in England would surely want him and at least 20m should be possible.

Rojo: He had injuries but he wasn't a disaster for us, is CB for Argentina and is 28.......20-25m for him must be possible too.

The only problem is that all three players are currently on high wages.

Canagel

Don't want. Liverpool exposed him and his mates when they decided to play high line in the CL. no more slow centre backs.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
He would be cup tied in the CL. Could be that he wants to see out the campaign with Roma considering they got to the semis last season.
Is this becoming an in-joke??

That's what I don't quite understand. If the rumour is true, then either Manolas doesn't want to leave mid season or the release clause only becomes active in the summer.
I read he doesn't want to leave Roma mid-season. TBF they are guaranteed a Champions League quarter finals place. That said we should simply tell him now or never.

BlueHaze

Bailly: He is good defender, is 24 and many clubs in Spain/Italy/France would want him....okay but at least 25m should be possible.

Jones: All non-top 6 clubs in England would surely want him and at least 20m should be possible.

Rojo: He had injuries but he wasn't a disaster for us, is CB for Argentina and is 28.......20-25m for him must be possible too.
£20m for Phil Jones whos contract runs out in the summer. :lol:

Diablodave

I think he's a great player. Definitely less prone to a mindfart than those we currently have.

Saying that i do think there's much more emphasis on us to sell before we buy. Some of the fees quoted for our player sales are ludicrous. When was the last time we sold a player for more than they were actually worth? My only thinking is Schneiderlin. We pay wages that high that nobody is willing to touch them while the players themselves are happy to run the contracts down.

BlueHaze

Read my post #6 ;)

The club can extend his contract till 2020.
It doesn't matter mate, it's Phil Jones, a player who limps as if a mongoose had bitten him in the arse at the first sight of contact. No one will pay £20m for an injury ridden player who even when fit is a calamity.

-Supreme-

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3
Jones contract runs out this summer, so I would extend his contract and keep him as a squad player if we have limited transfer budget as we have other areas need addressing too.

I'd sell Rojo and Baily since we should receive about 50 million in total.

New CB
Jones
Smalling
Lindelof

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Haven't watched him regularly, but remember him dumping Barcelona out of the Champions League last season with a great header.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
It doesn't matter mate, it's Phil Jones, a player who limps as if a mongoose had bitten him in the arse at the first sight of contact. No one will pay £20m for an injury ridden player who even when fit is a calamity.
There are so many stupid english clubs out there....we* would find a 20m buyer for Jones.

*If we would have a DoF.

CM10

This is the type of half measure signing Arsenal would usually make. If we're eyeing a reasonably priced defender with a clause in their contract, Alderweireld's our man.

Castia

I’d prefer Alderweireld at £25m tbh although it could be argued we need 2 solid defenders. I can see Rojo and possibly Baily going at any time.

PoTMS

I'd take Manolas in a heartbeat. He would instantly come in and be our best centre back. In terms of extending Jones's contract? Feck no. Get him off our books ASAP.

haram

The only problem is that all three players are currently on high wages.
Someone just paid us 19 million for Solanke. Just saying.
Solanke is young, English, not injury prone and not on a Man United wage.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Been surprised last few years prem clubs haven't gone for him. Played very well in 2014 world cup and Arsenal were heavily linked but Roma got in first.

A good age, has pace and overall better than someone like Sokratis who Arsenal did go for.

If you push Roma they will sell their key players eventually so he's also not at a club where he's impossible to sign. He actually nearly signed for Zenit the other summer.