Kyle Walker: Spurs lacked the edge to win trophies

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Before Walker your narrative was Spurs won't sell any players to rivals. Period (along with the Daddy BS).

Now you have shifted goal posts to account for the Walker transfer by changing the narrative to "star players".
Not true. I have always stated Spurs' policy - post-Berbatov - in relation to star players ... the likes of Modric, Bale, Kane, Alli and so on.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Cup wins depend a lot on the luck of the draw. The league table doesn't.

Yes, Spurs need to start winning some trophies, but it's clear to me - and I suspect most neutral observers - that Spurs were significantly better than United last season.
No you weren't. Silverware is what counts in football and we won two cups. Our league form was bad and a lot of that can be put down to us prioritising the Europa League which paid off in the end.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
You did better in the league, but you're not the better side. Only Chelsea really have a better side than United and that's not by much.
I'm content to let the judgement as to which of us is delusional just hang there ....

caid

Yes, Spurs need to start winning some trophies, but it's clear to me - and I suspect most neutral observers - that Spurs were significantly better than United last season.
Gent isn't exactly fecking unlucky.
and im not convinced on the second point. Better? yeah ... sure, definitely more functional at least

Significantly better? Nah, bolox

Didn't matter for shit though, we still had a better season than you.

Jev

Yeah, finishing above and being better aren't the same thing.
Of course Spurs are better than us at the moment. They've finished above us in the league three out of the last four seasons and were way ahead last season. They also have us beaten H2H over the last 10 games (4 Spurs wins, 3 United wins and 3 draws). We are behind and need to overtake them this season. To suggest otherwise is a level of delusion that will get us nowhere.

C3Pique

Why did you appoint LVG if not partly due to the fact that he was a "big name"? The same goes for Mourinho. Nor were di Maria and Falcao the only big-name players you've gone for: they also include Schweiny, Pogba, Zlatan and Mkhitaryan,

And the cheque-book management approach is self-evident: just look at the vast sums you've spent on additions to your last title-winning squad. This approach is even accelerating under Mourinho.
Of the big name players you mention only 1 could be considered a failure; himself bought by LVG who was a relative failure. LVG was bought in as a proven manager at a European level, something we needed after Moyes. Jose is proven at a CL and PL level, hardly bought in for name value alone.

No doubt Poch has done well but he captured lightning in a bottle with Alli and Kane. Replacing those 2 in future with a 5m midfielder from MK Dons and an academy striker may not yield the same benefits. The real challenge for Spurs will be continuing to improve whilst paying for a new stadium, and frankly unable to compete for the top level players needed to put them at a higher level then currently.

The one thing Spurs has had over United in the last few years is consistency at the top, a secure manager with a viable long term vision and strategy. With Jose aiming for 15 years at the club, that stability is back.

Mihai

Absolutely. You were against the best teams in Europe in both CL and EL. Bad luck.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
No you weren't. Silverware is what counts in football and we won two cups. Our league form was bad and a lot of that can be put down to us prioritising the Europa League which paid off in the end.
How convenient. Should I then say that Spurs didn't win a cup because we prioritised the league? I think not.

Stacks

"... silverware – that is what I came here for".

I think the large wage increase had rather more to do with it, but of course a departing player will never say that publicly and will want to dress it up in a way that finds favour with the new club's fans.

Anyhow, Spurs were happy enough to let him go for £50m ... so it looks like all sides rest content.
Use that money to bid for Lemar or buy Mahrez out right. Mahrez may have dropped off last season, but at his best he can win his side the league as he did with Leicester. When he isn't firing, you still have the likes of Son, Eriksen etc. I reckon he'd cost around 25-30 million

cyberman

@Subho611
Of course its not what he said ffs. Check out the Dier thread pre Walker or Lloris when he thought DDG was Madrid bound.
Don't listen to his nonsense.

caid

How convenient. Should I then say that Spurs didn't win a cup because we prioritised the league? I think not.
Well it'd be true.
It'd be a fair ponit if you actually won the league but you never got close so ....
I think its a stupid plan but hey ho

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
His comments reflect the stupid society attitude "without a title you are worthless". There is nothing to be ashamed of, when you finish 2nd twice in the EPL for a club projected to finish anywhere between 4-6. He should be proud. It´s all subconscious, but he also could have said that he is very proud of what he and the team accomplished, but the offer from City was just too good from every angle. No he says Tottenham was not good enough to win the title, I need to go to City to win trophies. There are only three trophies to win every year and people already scoff at the EuroLeague and the national cup competitions.
Don't understand it either. Maybe it's being used as a dig against Glaston, but otherwise it's a stupid mentality.

Vilev

Spurs had a grand chance two years ago, as did Arsenal, and they blew it. Right now, they are a great team, but their chance of winning anything is almost as good as gone.
There might be a Europa League opportunity, but they need a much bigger squad for that and probably another coach. The physical stuff one. Like stamina and so on. Because it's clear that Poach simply can't ready the players for Thursday/Sunday routine. Of course FA cup, League Cup is also a possibility. But can they keep their core for that long. City can go for Kane, Real as well, since Benzema is getting old and they need a CF, with Morata gone and Spurs would prefer to sale abroad, this move does make sense next year or in two years time.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Don't understand it either. Maybe it's being used as a dig against Glaston, but otherwise it's a stupid mentality.
I think he is talking about Walker's interview, not the posts here.

NK86

I generally don't agree with @GlastonSpur but he is actually being goaded by United fans here. Walker would not have gone if Levy decided he is not going to sell. The fact they got 50 mil for a RB and a player who was seemingly desperate to leave shows it was very good business from Spurs as when a player is determined to leave, more often than not, the selling club takes a slight hit in terms of the money on offer.

crackers0seven

Who is walker trying to fool. This isn't about winning mentality it's about a fat wage. At the end of the day spurs are a very good young team that seem on the brink of taking that next step and adding silverware to go along with their promise. If spurs had lost momentum this season i would understand the move but I reckon they took steps forward the season just gone.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
You played a strong side against Gent in the 2nd leg and got knocked out. But it's just luck of a the draw, right? :)
I said that winning a cup depends a lot on the luck of the draw, not that getting knocked out always does. There's a difference.

roonster09

Scout
I generally don't agree with @GlastonSpur but he is actually being goaded by United fans here. Walker would not have gone if Levy decided he is not going to sell. The fact they got 50 mil for a RB and a player who was seemingly desperate to leave shows it was very good business from Spurs as when a player is determined to leave, more often than not, the selling club takes a slight hit in terms of the money on offer.
First bold part is true for any club. Even WBA were able to stop a player from leaving the club.

Second bold part: It's not true anymore when the players move from PL club to PL club. Everton sold Stones for 50 Million and Lescott and Milner were sold for nearly 25 Million 7 years ago. Fellaini for 27 Million. When the player moves within league, price will always be higher.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
@Subho611
Of course its not what he said ffs. Check out the Dier thread pre Walker or Lloris when he thought DDG was Madrid bound.
Rubbish. For starters Dier is not a star player for Spurs and in any case hasn't been sold to a Prem rival. Nor has Lloris.

Mindhunter

@Subho611
Got it, thanks. He says things that suits his agenda. Let's see how he tries to dress things up when his so called "star" players also start to push for moves.

AR87

The quote in it's entirety seems rather innocuous.

Spurs do need to start winning trophies because Walker won't be the last to go in search of an equal or better chance of trophies as well as better wages. Even if they win players may go in search of the wages.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
... their chance of winning anything is almost as good as gone.
There might be a Europa League opportunity .... Of course FA cup, League Cup is also a possibility. ... .
So, our chance of winning anything "is almost as good as gone". But at the same time you say that the EL, FA Cup and League cup are all possible.

The circle is not squared.

roonster09

Scout
So, our chance of winning anything "is almost as good as gone". But at the same time you say that the EL, FA Cup and League cup are all possible.

Embarrassing :lol:

Deleting the relevant points made by him and making it sound like something he never said.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Got it, thanks. He says things that suits his agenda. Let's see how he tries to dress things up when his so called "star" players also start to push for moves.
There is no "dressing up". I've consistently said that - as part of club policy post-Berbatov - no star player will be sold by Spurs to a Prem rival.

That policy has stood for the last 9 years. This is not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of fact.

The only "dressing up" here is being done is by a minority of opposition fans who suddenly wish to pretend that Walker was a star player for Spurs.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs

Deleting the relevant points made by him and making it sound like something he never said.
Not all at all. The deleted sections of his post do not change the contradictory nature of what he said.

Mindhunter

There is no "dressing up". I've consistently said that - as part of club policy post-Berbatov - no star player will be sold by Spurs to a Prem rival.

That policy has stood for the last 9 years. This is not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of fact.

The only "dressing up" here is being done is by a minority of opposition fans who suddenly wish to pretend that Walker was a star player for Spurs.
"Star Player" is a matter of opinion. Not sure how you are claiming it to be a fact, eh?
The statement is too open for you to hide behind whenever you have evidence to the contrary. Man City is your rival and Walker is your first team player who features extensively. Seriously, this is getting tedious.

roonster09

Scout
Not all at all. The deleted sections of his post do not change the contradictory nature of what he said.
No he clearly said Spurs need bigger squad to win trophies. So yes, it wasn't contradictory. At least quote the full posts and highlight or don't.

Vilev

Well, i don't think you would argue that Prem title or CL is a far superior titles that these ones combined and even multiplied by 10. The only real dividend of Europa L is a CL qualification, without that i doubt MU would be bothered last year.
Also when Walker says "i want trophy", you do understand that he does not mean FA Cup or League Cup. He means Prem and CL.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
i think Spurs fans are in denial but players once they reach peak (at least good players) they want to win trophies. They can't stay forever waiting. Whatever Spurs are doing, Arsenal have already done it. Players like Nasri, RVP, Fabregas and many others like Ade, Toure all left when they knew they can earn more and also win trophies.
This is a completely different situation though. Because they went to stronger teams challenging for the title, Walker left for a team that finished below us. Earning more is a fair point, but right now Spurs are as competitive as City.

Robbie Boy

"Star Player" is a matter of opinion. Not sure how you are claiming it to be a fact, eh?
The statement is too open for you to hide behind whenever you have evidence to the contrary. Man City is your rival and Walker is your first team player who features extensively. Seriously, this is getting tedious.
He's talking utter bollox, as per...

Kostur

海尔的老板

Always does that. It's classic Glaston move. The new favourite line he picked up seems to be the 'cup wins depend on the luck of the draw, league position not' to justify Spuds winning feck all. Long may the delusion continue.

The 'Levy doesn't sell to direct rivals' line had to be crossed out from the bullshit reportoire and nature abhors a vacuum so here we are.

Varun

Staff
I said that winning a cup depends a lot on the luck of the draw, not that getting knocked out always does. There's a difference.
Haha, ofcourse seeing as United won last year while Spurs got knocked out.

acnumber9

Before Walker your narrative was Spurs won't sell any players to rivals. Period (along with the Daddy BS).

Now you have shifted goal posts to account for the Walker transfer by changing the narrative to "star players".
Before it became clear that Walker wanted to leave it was debateable if there is anyone better in his position and if there was it was beyond the remit of Spurs to afford him. 6 weeks of football later and Kieran Trippier was more than capable of replacing him. Unfortunately I can't quote the post but it's on this page.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/the...be-threadbanned.419369/page-120#post-20691174

The tune changed very quickly.