Kylian Mbappe | PSG

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Apparently he favors coming to Utd but we’ve made no approach. He’ll end up at Madrid - even if we go in for him we probably won’t offer half the wages they do and you can understand him wanting to follow the money.
Does he? I've 'ever read that.

Holocene

Apparently he favors coming to Utd but we’ve made no approach. He’ll end up at Madrid - even if we go in for him we probably won’t offer half the wages they do and you can understand him wanting to follow the money.
Going to need a source on that. I really don't think Madrid would blow us out of the water on wages either.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
yeah this is true. apparently ole refuses to get rid of dan james and thinks he has a higher ceiling than mbappe any way.

mshnsh

I find it hilarious people are determined to deny Mbappe was better as a teen than Messi. So what? We all remember 18 year old Rooney was better than 18 year old CR7. Long term we all know how it all panned out.

Mpabbe being better than a Messi at 18-20 doesn't necessarily translate to him ever going to be at the level of peak Messi. For all we know that could be his potential ceiling.
Mbappe was never as good as Messi in his teens. Infact I don't think anyone was as good. Just watch his performances vs Madrid at 18 and 19, vs Chelsea at 18, vs many clubs in la liga or the UCL in his teens, THAT goal vs getafe at 19 etc. The only thing that stopped him from being the outright best was recurrent injuries.
But really who cares who was better at a certain age? I mean it’s pretty obvious to me Mbappé was a superior player the first 3 years of their career, it still never changes the fact that Messi is the GOAT and won’t be surpassed anytime soon overall. It’s just a weird debate to have pages about and it’s going to be exhausting if that’s the conversation where Messi fans are now shifting their insecurities from CR7 debates to Mbappé, who is always going to be fighting a losing battle in those, which isn’t fair for any player to begin with.
No Mbappe wasn't superior except for the physical aspect. Stats arent everything.
Yeah, all of those great youngsters. R9 particularly is something else, but Messi is close. I just personally think Mbappe is a tier or two below those two, along with dozens of other great youngsters.
The R9 thing is honestly an exaggeration. The clips of his performances are available on YouTube and you can compare them. Take away the number of goals and Messi at any age was something else.
The revisionism regarding Messi's early years can be felt in this thread

People are talking about 17 y.o Messi at a pro level when he only had 9 apps at that age.

Then you have the ballon d'or where Messi seems to become a year younger everytime this discussion is brought up, his fans will claim he had 3 BOs at 21 when he won his first BO at 22 year old and a half.

Messi became a top class player at 20, scoring 16 and assisting 13 in all comps

Messi became an alien at 21, before that he was an extraordinarly talented player but did not have the end product to be compared to Mbappe's freakish 30+ goals 10+ assists seasons
1. Mbappe plays in the French league which is very much inferior to la liga and for a vastly superior PSG side. This obviously that inflates his stats greatly Which is also why he wants to move to Spain and maybe England.

2. Stats aren't everything. Messi even at 18/19 years age had far more to his game than just goals and assists. Mbappes game has been mainly about his speed to run behind and score.

3.In addition, Messi also missed several months every season due to injury but when fully fit, he was outstanding and even the best in the world. But the injuries obviously negatively affected his output and influence on his team hence lack of official recognition.

4.Messi was already on the ballondo'r podium by age 20. Mbappe has yet to do so despite age 22 and won't be on the podium this year as well. So the earliest possible is age 23 by which time Messi had finished 3rd, 2nd, and 1st twice.

Honestly, at any age, atleast from the players I have seen, no one compares to Messi.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Mbappe was never as good as Messi in his teens. Infact I don't think anyone was as good. Just watch his performances vs Madrid at 18 and 19, vs Chelsea at 18, vs many clubs in la liga or the UCL in his teens, THAT goal vs getafe at 19 etc. The only thing that stopped him from being the outright best was recurrent injuries.

No Mbappe wasn't superior except for the physical aspect. Stats arent everything.

The R9 thing is honestly an exaggeration. The clips of his performances are available on YouTube and you can compare them. Take away the number of goals and Messi at any age was something else.

1. Mbappe plays in the French league which is very much inferior to la liga and for a vastly superior PSG side. This obviously that inflates his stats greatly Which is also why he wants to move to Spain and maybe England.

2. Stats aren't everything. Messi even at 18/19 years age had far more to his game than just goals and assists. Mbappes game has been mainly about his speed to run behind and score.

3.In addition, Messi also missed several months every season due to injury but when fully fit, he was outstanding and even the best in the world. But the injuries obviously negatively affected his output and influence on his team hence lack of official recognition.

4.Messi was already on the ballondo'r podium by age 20. Mbappe has yet to do so despite age 22 and won't be on the podium this year as well. So the earliest possible is age 23 by which time Messi had finished 3rd, 2nd, and 1st twice.

Honestly, at any age, atleast from the players I have seen, no one compares to Messi.
I don't really understand the need to compare Messi and Mbappé. Had Messi more skills than Mbappé when he was 18? For sure. Will end up being as good as Messi or Ronaldo? Very unlikely.
But was he "as good" at that age? What does "good" mean? Team contribution? Scoring important goals or making important assists? CL goals? It's easy to twist what "good" means depending on the outcome you're looking for.

Regarding the fact the playing in ligue 1 would inflate Mbappé's stats, i strongly disagree. Of course the league is weaker but PSG face a lot of teams playing very low on the pitch and it doesn't play to Mbappé's strength at all, he'd score FAR more goals in a league like Bundesliga and probably more in La Liga. In the season 2016-2017 for exemple, Barcelona scored 116 goals (and it's hardly peak Barça). PSG's record is 105 goals in 2017-2018.

mshnsh

Messi’s game was not on another level. He had great dribbling and ball retention. He made poor decisions, didn’t finish his chances, and couldn’t physically impose his game on a consistent basis at that age. Mbappé was the main focus of a Juventus team that hadn’t conceded in over a thousand minutes in the CL at 18 years old and still managed to score, after taking out Dortmund and City. It’s just a different (read superior) impact at that age. Barcelona was one of the best two teams in Spain, and he had plenty of great players to help his transition and put him in winning conditions (although they still weren’t the Juggernaut Barca). I’m not a stat guru but I’m sure, to compensate for Messi’s inability to stay healthy, you’d still see his goal+assist/90m vastly inferior to Mbappé at that time. It’s okay, Zidane is my favorite player and he, arguably, didn’t even become a great player until his mid-20’s.

No. I think people ignore a fact:

Messi at 18 missed something missed the last 3 months of the season 05/06 with injury. Before that he was the best player on the pitch not named Ronaldinho vs Madrid at the Bernebeau, was the best player vs one of the greatest Premier league sides at Stamford Bridge And was putting in some world class performances week in week out both in la liga and the UCL.

Messi at 19, missed another 3 months of the season 06/07 with a broken metatarsal. This time mid-season. After he returned, he obviously took time to regain match fitness but once he did, he produced a MOTM vs Real madrid away even not taking into consideration the hat trick, scored the finest goal I've ever seen vs Getafe and produced some amazing performances week in, week out.

Messi at 20, missed 2 months of the season in season 07/08 via 2 separate injuries. Once he was back, he easily outshone Ronaldo, the ballondo'r winner that year, at both the Nou camp and old Trafford despite just having returned from injury. Again, when fully fit, no one was better.

These injuries are often ignored when comparing Messi to other players at the same age. It is also worth considering that long term injuries also affect match fitness meaning that a number of games are required for the player to regain pre injury sharpness.

mshnsh

I don't really understand the need to compare Messi and Mbappé. Had Messi more skills than Mbappé when he was 18? For sure. Will end up being as good as Messi or Ronaldo? Very unlikely.
But was he "as good" at that age? What does "good" mean? Team contribution? Scoring important goals or making important assists? CL goals? It's easy to twist what "good" means depending on the outcome you're looking for.

Regarding the fact the playing in ligue 1 would inflate Mbappé's stats, i strongly disagree. Of course the league is weaker but PSG face a lot of teams playing very low on the pitch and it doesn't play to Mbappé's strength at all, he'd score FAR more goals in a league like Bundesliga and probably more in La Liga. In the season 2016-2017 for exemple, Barcelona scored 116 goals (and it's hardly peak Barça). PSG's record is 105 goals in 2017-2018.
The "Mbappe being good" thing has been about his goals hence the unwarranted comparisons . Cavani scored 50 playing there. Neymar is often toying with opponents and insulting them. The quality of opposition is simply not as good as la liga or Premier league. Which is why it is disappointing that Messi moved there and stupid that Neymar did and the reason why Mbappe wants to move.
Messi’s game was not on another level. He had great dribbling and ball retention. He made poor decisions, didn’t finish his chances, and couldn’t physically impose his game on a consistent basis at that age. Mbappé was the main focus of a Juventus team that hadn’t conceded in over a thousand minutes in the CL at 18 years old and still managed to score, after taking out Dortmund and City. It’s just a different (read superior) impact at that age. Barcelona was one of the best two teams in Spain, and he had plenty of great players to help his transition and put him in winning conditions (although they still weren’t the Juggernaut Barca). I’m not a stat guru but I’m sure, to compensate for Messi’s inability to stay healthy, you’d still see his goal+assist/90m vastly inferior to Mbappé at that time. It’s okay, Zidane is my favorite player and he, arguably, didn’t even become a great player until his mid-20’s.
No. I think people ignore a fact:

Messi at 18 missed the last 3 months of the season 05/06 with injury. Before that he was the best player on the pitch not named Ronaldinho vs Madrid at the Bernebeau, was the best player vs one of the greatest Premier league sides at Stamford Bridge And was putting in some world class performances week in week out both in la liga and the UCL.

Messi at 19, missed another 3 months of the season 06/07 with a broken metatarsal. This time mid-season. After he returned, he obviously took time to regain match fitness but once he did, he produced a MOTM vs Real madrid away even not taking into consideration the hat trick, scored the finest goal I've ever seen vs Getafe and produced some amazing performances week in, week out.

Messi at 20, missed 2 months of the season in season 07/08 via 2 separate injuries. Once he was back, he easily outshone Ronaldo, the ballondo'r winner that year, at both the Nou camp and old Trafford despite just having returned from injury. Again, when fully fit, no one was better.

These injuries are often ignored when comparing Messi to other players at the same age. It is also worth considering that long term injuries also affect match fitness meaning that a number of games are required for the player to regain pre injury sharpness.

Stats seldom say the whole story.

[/QUOTE]

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
.....Just watch his performances vs Madrid at 18 and 19, vs Chelsea at 18, vs many clubs in la liga or the UCL in his teens, THAT goal vs getafe at 19 etc. The only thing that stopped him from being the outright best was recurrent injuries.
Sure. Because supposedly I never watched Messi play as a teen......

Even funnier is this pretence that Mbappe at 18 wasn't terrorizing teams in the knockouts of the UCL in a vastly inferior team to what Messi was in at that age. On top of leading that team to beat a super star packed PSG to a league title. Then taking to international football like a fish to water.....

But whatever. There is never a point trying to have such a debate with a Messi fanatic. It ever ends one way ....

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
The "Mbappe being good" thing has been about his goals hence the unwarranted comparisons . Cavani scored 50 playing there. Neymar is often toying with opponents and insulting them. The quality of opposition is simply not as good as la liga or Premier league. Which is why it is disappointing that Messi moved there and stupid that Neymar did and the reason why Mbappe wants to move.
The season where Cavani scored 50 goals is a pretty bad exemple, we had just lost Zlatan and the whole team had to play for him. That's one of the reasons why we lost the championship that year. On top of that you totally dismiss the fact that Mbappé is a different player and Cavani can strive in certain situation Mbappé cannot (Cavani's head game is far better than Mbappé's so it's easier for him to score against defensive teams). It's not only about opposition, it's also the way teams play. If it only was about the quality of opposition, Mbappé wouldn't have scored 27 goals in the CL at age 22, and he so did against the very best teams in Europe

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Mbappe will never be as good as 21 yr old Messi and onwards.

Messi was a cheatcode in his prime, capable of doing things most of us can't even replicate on Fifa

But Mbappe was better aged 18,19,20. He may never have been as good at dribbling,creating and so on but the gap in output makes up for that by a longshot

Canagel

Complaining in French about Neymar supposedly not passing him the ball. Ney assisted again for the 2-0 goal as soon as he was replaced. His ego cannot handle that he put another stinker in while his replacement Draxler scored with his first touch.. :lol:

Chief123

Criticism of Mbappe on here is pure banter.

I would take him in a heart beat. Doesn’t matter how much he costs. If he wanted to come, you go get him.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
That shows more so than anything else just how fecking ridiculous of a player Neymar is.
No goals, no assist, nothing countable. What doesn't appear on a spreadsheet is worthless :)

LoneStar

We are now in a timeline where Neymar is the nicest guy in the PSG attack.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

Complaining in French about Neymar supposedly not passing him the ball. Ney assisted again for the 2-0 goal as soon as he was replaced. His ego cannot handle that he put another stinker in while his replacement Draxler scored with his first touch.. :lol:
I still remember the day when Neymar first joined PSG, Mbappe had publicly said he would do his best to help Neymar to win Ballon D’or. How things has changed over past few years.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Mbappe will never be as good as 21 yr old Messi and onwards.

Messi was a cheatcode in his prime, capable of doing things most of us can't even replicate on Fifa

But Mbappe was better aged 18,19,20. He may never have been as good at dribbling,creating and so on but the gap in output makes up for that by a longshot
Agreed. No doubt Messi was a better young talent with better dribbling and creativity, but Mbappe at age 18-20 is far more established. He did impressed in CL at age 18, became star and winner of WC at age 19, scored 39 goals in 43 games for PSG at age 20. I can’t think of anyone comparable (in terms of impact), maybe only second to L.Ronaldo at same age, at least from my memory.

Messi was a greater talent at same age, but not before he reach around age 20-21 he became truly one of the two best player (or the best) in the world.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
This latest "episode" is completely blown out of proportion. "Chacal" translated here as in "beggar" :houllier: is a term used between people who are friendly.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This latest "episode" is completely blown out of proportion. "Chacal" translated here as in "beggar" :houllier: is a term used between people who are friendly.
But why is he so whiney? PSG doesn't seem to have a very happy dressing room in recent years.

kouroux

But why is he so whiney? PSG doesn't seem to have a very happy dressing room in recent years.
Some players are like that, teams are made of cnuts (i see that at an amateur level so at their level, it's more exacerbated). Sometimes the cameras catch the players for what they really are. In grand scheme of things though, this means nothing

I never thought there would be a time when I wouldn't want him in our team.

He's no better now than he was at 18 but he comes across like he thinks he's made it already. He's perfect for Real Madrid but I think he would be a nightmare if he came to any of the big PL teams.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Nah chacal isn't friendly. It can be kinda affectionate depending on context, but it's pretty clear it's meant as a derogatory epithet when looking at that video, his face and gestures.

Agree "beggar" is a shit translation, but chacal isn't friendly.

kouroux

Nah chacal isn't friendly. It can be kinda affectionate depending on context, but it's pretty clear it's meant as a derogatory epithet when looking at that video, his face and gestures.

It really can be. You don't watch much of "Les Marseillais" reality TV show I can tell

kouroux

Mistake from me. It was "clochard" which was indeed "beggar" literally but I guess the meaning varies a little in french while keeping a negative tone all the same :lol:

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Mistake from me. It was "clochard" which was indeed "beggar" literally but I guess the meaning varies a little in french while keeping a negative tone all the same :lol:
Yeah was wondering if you were mixing it with clochard, which can be amicable in any type of situation, generally speaking. Chacal, unless it's in some kind of "banter" context, is pretty clearly derogatory.

But you're correct in saying that I don't watch Les Marseillais :lol:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Mbappé has always been whiney, he is competitive and hates losing or not scoring. He is upset about goals during training.