Kylian Mbappe | PSG

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He did. In that role, if you're not scoring the goal there isn't much else you'll do to positively affect the game. Marquinhos, Silva, Veratti, and Di Maria had much better games. If Cavani would have been healthy, I'm sure Mbappe would have had a much better game from the right wing going at Shaw instead of having a couple of defenders right on him as soon as he touched the ball. But someone had to fill that role and it's pretty great that at his age he's capable of filling a multitude of roles and still make an impact.
Not sure. He definitely could have done more if he is supposed to be a striker, no? Is he going to lead the line for a team without being able to hold up play, link up play etc. Reminded me of Rashford. They are similar, especially in the striker position. Think Rashford has the edge there. If they don't get a lot of space behind the defence or are being put in a position to run into space, they struggle more. Mbappe is clearly a better winger, and finisher. But Rashford seems a bit better on his general game at striker. Not that he showed it at all yesterday, he didn't show up.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Not sure. He definitely could have done more if he is supposed to be a striker, no? Is he going to lead the line for a team without being able to hold up play, link up play etc. Reminded me of Rashford. They are similar, especially in the striker position. Think Rashford has the edge there. If they don't get a lot of space behind the defence or are being put in a position to run into space, they struggle more. Mbappe is clearly a better winger, and finisher. But Rashford seems a bit better on his general game at striker. Not that he showed it at all yesterday, he didn't show up.
You can always do more, but in the tactical set up Tuchel had, it would be very difficult for anybody in that position to do so. Also, I don't think Rashford is anywhere close to Mbappe or has any edge on him, even on his best day and purely as a leading striker. I think the only thing they have in common is they both have a great ability to be at the right place and at the right time for danger and their physical attributes, I'm obviously biased but I struggle to see where Rashford has any edge.

The problem Rashford had is that he tried to create danger from the wings but no one was in the box to help him, or when he tried to go more central, there was no help from the wings to get him in a dangerous position. There wasn't much he or Martial could do when Shaw was non-existent for Martial, and Pogba was locked up by Marquinhos for Rashford.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
You can always do more, but in the tactical set up Tuchel had, it would be very difficult for anybody in that position to do so. Also, I don't think Rashford is anywhere close to Mbappe or has any edge on him, even on his best day and purely as a leading striker. I think the only thing they have in common is they both have a great ability to be at the right place and at the right time for danger and their physical attributes, I'm obviously biased but I struggle to see where Rashford has any edge.

The problem Rashford had is that he tried to create danger from the wings but no one was in the box to help him, or when he tried to go more central, there was no help from the wings to get him in a dangerous position. There wasn't much he or Martial could do when Shaw was non-existent for Martial, and Pogba was locked up by Marquinhos for Rashford.
You biased? Rashford biggest weakness as a striker is to be at the right place at the right time. He is very versatile in his general play when he is on form. He can hit long passes, good vision. He used to be more of a playmaking winger as a youth, before becoming more of a striker/forward as he got bigger. He has a lot of stuff in his locker that isn't coming out on a consistent basis yet. Mbappe is definitly further along in his development and has found himself while Rashford is still struggling for consistency and seems to have some issues with the mental aspect if you ask me. If he can establish himself at that top level, it is not much between them in talent, imo. As you said different players, and both currently very young and both still with a lot to learn. I feel pretty certain Mbappe will at least continue on this path while Rashford I'm more uncertain about, but you can't rule him out on the basis of lack of consistency in such a young age, just because Mbappe seems to be ridiculously consistent at such an age.

Anyways, don't see the point in comparing them. But of course you probably haven't seen the best and worst of Rashford as I have, and I have only seen the good from Mbappe. Except yesterday, he wasn't all that, where as I have seen Rashford put in a much better performance in a similar setup as a striker, with no right wing to help him etc... But with young players it is all about form and finding that consistency. Some games Rashford is showing a lot, and I wouldn't put many above him in those games, but then you get disappointed next game when he doesn't show up, like against PSG. I expected him to maybe run at your defence and get them to foul him, well they did and should have seen red, maybe he could have effected the game more after things opened up a bit, like Mbappe did. I wouldn't have ruled it out, but he certainly didn't have his big boy pants on that game.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
Im not being an ass but I don’t see the hype with Mbappe, he’s a good player who’s fast but is not on level with Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar. I really believe Rashford will be a better player than Mbappe.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Im not being an ass but I don’t see the hype with Mbappe, he’s a good player who’s fast but is not on level with Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar. I really believe Rashford will be a better player than Mbappe.
What and Rashford will be on level with Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar?

Sir Scott McToMinay

I really see nothing that suggests Rashford will be as good as Mbappe, let alone better.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
200 million and worth every penny. Is he friends with pogba?

We need to sign more french players.

El-Buitre

Supports
Real Madrid
He is overrated imo, I don't see anything special in him except his pace obviously, I Doubt he will reach the level of a guy like Titi Henry, technically he is pretty average...I dont get the hype about him.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
No chance. He won't reach Messi's level but I feel he will surpass Neymar. Rashford is nowhere near as good. There's nothing at all to suggest that he ever will be other than an ardent fan's wishes.

Look, Rashford is very good. But he's not on the level of, say, Rooney who was genuinely and utterly special. Mbappe looks even better than Rooney. So, I can't see how this is a comparison.

I don't see why we cant appreciate our own players for what they are. Would we feel terrible about having them if they weren't the greatest on the planet?

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
You biased? Rashford biggest weakness as a striker is to be at the right place at the right time. He is very versatile in his general play when he is on form. He can hit long passes, good vision. He used to be more of a playmaking winger as a youth, before becoming more of a striker/forward as he got bigger. He has a lot of stuff in his locker that isn't coming out on a consistent basis yet. Mbappe is definitly further along in his development and has found himself while Rashford is still struggling for consistency and seems to have some issues with the mental aspect if you ask me. If he can establish himself at that top level, it is not much between them in talent, imo. As you said different players, and both currently very young and both still with a lot to learn. I feel pretty certain Mbappe will at least continue on this path while Rashford I'm more uncertain about, but you can't rule him out on the basis of lack of consistency in such a young age, just because Mbappe seems to be ridiculously consistent at such an age.

Anyways, don't see the point in comparing them. But of course you probably haven't seen the best and worst of Rashford as I have, and I have only seen the good from Mbappe. Except yesterday, he wasn't all that, where as I have seen Rashford put in a much better performance in a similar setup as a striker, with no right wing to help him etc... But with young players it is all about form and finding that consistency. Some games Rashford is showing a lot, and I wouldn't put many above him in those games, but then you get disappointed next game when he doesn't show up, like against PSG. I expected him to maybe run at your defence and get them to foul him, well they did and should have seen red, maybe he could have effected the game more after things opened up a bit, like Mbappe did. I wouldn't have ruled it out, but he certainly didn't have his big boy pants on that game.
I've watched about 90-95% of Rashford's games, from his very first season because he broke the same season Martial came into the team which is when I started paying far more attention to United's games. Rashford's biggest weakness isn't his movement, that's one of his best strengths IMO. It's his finishing and vision that I consider his biggest weaknesses. I can't see how you will put his movement as his biggest weakness. He gets into a decent lot of good positions, he just struggles finishing them. Yesterday's game doesn't really change that even if we didn't see it.

But yeah, it is frustrating to see the inconsistency in players. Sure, Mbappe may seem more consistent but he had a pretty poor run of games prior to this game, and even the game against United wasn't great but there's valid reasons outside of just inconsistency in that particular case. As I said, I don't really put a negative on Rashford's performance. He should have had Presnel Kipembe sent off if not for a shit referee, and whatever he tried the rest of the team wasn't there to get on the end of or provide him with something to get on the end of.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Such a brillant goal. When Neymar is back PSG is definitely among the CL favourites. These two are a match made in heaven.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Great finish! First French player in 45 years to score 19 goals in 18 games, impressive considering the other two to have done that were Zlatan and Cavani and they would take penalties for the team.

Giggsyking

Technically on the ball I have seen nothing special yet, he is fast and a good finisher.

Giggsyking

Look harder, at his pass for Giroud against Belgium for exemple...
Dont get me wrong, I think he is a great player and easily start for any super team in the world because there are few good finishers in his pace and and age. But I was entering the discussion on the base of a superstar that has everything, comparing to CR7.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Im struggling to agree with folks saying rashford will be a better striker... :rolleyes:

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Dont get me wrong, I think he is a great player and easily start for any super team in the world because there are few good finishers in his pace and and age. But I was entering the discussion on the base of a superstar that has everything, comparing to CR7.
If you're comparing Mbappe today to CR7 in his prime, then sure....however Mbappe at 20 vs CR7 at 20 is an insulting comparison to Mbappe.

Giggsyking

If you're comparing Mbappe today to CR7 in his prime, then sure....however Mbappe at 20 vs CR7 at 20 is an insulting comparison to Mbappe.
Maturity and efficiency no doubt Mbape is better. But we are talking about one point how good is he technically, Ronaldo at his age caught the eyes of football fans with his brilliant technique.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
see above. Is he anywhere close to C Ronaldo in terms of technique?
"Technique" is a vague term. Ronaldo was critisized at the beginning of his career because he was doing a lot of unnecessary technical moves. Mbappe doesn't need to do that because it's easier for him to eliiminate players with his pace. He's not as technical as Neymar that's a fact but he has a lot of other qualtities. His passing technique (when he doesn't try to much heel passes or stuffs like that) is far better than Ronaldos at he same age

I agree Mbappé can be a bit sloppy sometimes though, but he's young, he'll adjust his moves with time.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Keep in mind one plays in the French league in the best team at 20 and the other played in the EPL. Either way Mbappe is fecking brilliant and will win multiple player of the year awards.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Maturity and efficiency no doubt Mbape is better. But we are talking about one point how good is he technically, Ronaldo at his age caught the eyes of football fans with his brilliant technique.
You're talking about tricks, a lot of them were very ineffective btw, and were more made for the highlights than actually winning. Technique is a whole different beast, you can look at Mbappe's control of the ball in full speed and volley against Nimes, or his chipped goal against Guingamp, or another volley against Angers, not to count his range of passing and his first touch. There's plenty of examples that shows a player who is far superior technically to CR7 (at the same age), but maybe you didn't mean technique and just meant showboating tricks; only in that case you would be right.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Keep in mind one plays in the French league in the best team at 20 and the other played in the EPL. Either way Mbappe is fecking brilliant and will win multiple player of the year awards.
Ligue 1 is a far more defensive league than EPL. And on top of that he was already amazing when he played for Monaco and we all know what he did for France.

At one point, people, especially here, will need to understand that Ligue 1 isn't an easy league at all. It lacks offensive talents but defensively, it's harder to score in L1 than it is in EPL.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Yeah, but that point becomes a bit moot when you're talking about technique, not output. Also, let's not act as if CR7 wasn't in one of the best teams in England, if not the best, where most games were just a formality on the way to a victory with some tough games against Chelsea and Arsenal at that time being the bigger challenges. I have no doubts Mbappe would be just as devastating, if not more in the Premier League than in France where he would undoubtedly be the main man on offense and the only team that could afford him would be a stacked one regardless. However, we probably will never find out because once he leaves PSG, I can't see him going anywhere but to Madrid.

Giggsyking

You're talking about tricks, a lot of them were very ineffective btw, and were more made for the highlights than actually winning. Technique is a whole different beast, you can look at Mbappe's control of the ball in full speed and volley against Nimes, or his chipped goal against Guingamp, or another volley against Angers, not to count his range of passing and his first touch. There's plenty of examples that shows a player who is far superior technically to CR7 (at the same age), but maybe you didn't mean technique and just meant showboating tricks; only in that case you would be right.
you are maybe right, it is more tricks.
but let me say it in other words, Ronaldo made people drop jaws when the ball was between his feet at age 18. I have never seen a player as good as him doing that when he played his debut game with us at age 18 against Bolton, he looked like a player from another world.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Don't know about that. Cristiano did lots of show boating with no end product at all (not even beating an opponent) but he was still a great technician with brillant close control and first touch. Mbappe has a slightly more fuzzy technique IMO. He's better at utilizing his skill moves (like the sexy backheel nutmeg today) but in terms of first touches and ball control, Cristiano was better than him.

Yet Mbappe's finishing and decision making is on a completely different level at that age. Actually, there are many quite rapid players in this world but he is outstanding at utilizing his pace. That's something he has in common with the more mature CR7.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
but let me say it in other words, Ronaldo made people drop jaws when the ball was between his feet at age 18. I have never seen a player as good as him doing that when he played his debut game with us at age 18 against Bolton, he looked like a player from another world.
I can understand, his tricks were incredible. I still remember one where at full speed he is hitting the ball off the backheels of both his feet twice as he's not breaking stride. He was very entertaining to watch, but his game went to another level when he left that at the door to focus on efficiency and goal-scoring. Mbappe is already at that stage. Now, I'm not saying CR7 needs to look over his shoulder for this kid coming up, because it's still a major stretch to think Mbappe will surpass him, but right now he's the only one who is actually ahead of the curve in that regard.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Mappe doesn't have the same skill quality that's for sure but Ronaldo actually became a better player when he started to remove most of the useless tricks he used to do from his game. Few people can actually use these skills in a constructive way, Neymar being one of them, Ronaldiho or R9 as well.

Member 115509

Sublime finish from him to win the game tonight, the way the ball came to him and he despatched it with great aplomb, not an easy ball to take but he made it look just that.

Jib

Despite his goals, pace and work ethic... he hasn't that "magic" ( same for Cristiano ).
I prefer Dembele and Messi :drool:

Mainoldo

"Technique" is a vague term. Ronaldo was critisized at the beginning of his career because he was doing a lot of unnecessary technical moves. Mbappe doesn't need to do that because it's easier for him to eliiminate players with his pace. He's not as technical as Neymar that's a fact but he has a lot of other qualtities. His passing technique (when he doesn't try to much heel passes or stuffs like that) is far better than Ronaldos at he same age

I agree Mbappé can be a bit sloppy sometimes though, but he's young, he'll adjust his moves with time.
Hence his comments about maturity. Ronaldo was and will always be greater with the ball. No shame in that.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Despite his goals, pace and work ethic... he hasn't that "magic" ( same for Cristiano ).
I prefer Dembele and Messi :drool:
I understand what you mean but when he accelerates, there's a different kind of lightning magic.

RC89

Don't get the downplaying of his talent. He may not be as talented as say Messi, but saying so isn't as ridiculous as suggesting he and Rashford are similar levels of talent.