Kylian Mbappe | PSG

Schneckerl

I think he's mainly wondering why Griezmann isn't in a list mentionning name as absurds as Morata, Lacazette, Lukaku or even Suarez this year when he truly is a world class player and far better than them.

Griezmann will always be largely underrated but this season he's been amazing, he totally carries Atletlco. To me, he's easily in the top 5 of the best players in the world in 2018-2019 (so far). And god knows his personnality annoys me...
IIRC the discussion was about Strikers and the poster didn't consider Griez a Striker.
No clue why he listed Messi and Neymar then.

Kun, Costa, Kane can be considered better. But Mbappe hasnt peaked yet.
Diego Costa really doesn't belong this season with Kun, Kane and Mbappe.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
That's not even remotely my point.

I've watched Burnley beat Totteham 2-1 (allegedly one of the best PL team) by kicking the ball as hard as they could hoping it'd fall in the feet of their attacking players though. Great quality football, great show, fortunately, Tottenham's defenders were terrible enough to let them score.
Wasn't referring to the original comment/point.

It doesn't really matter does it? The Tottenham thing and kick and rush. There's plenty of other games that deliver entertainment in the Premier League. Bournemouth - Wolves isn't glamorous but definitely delivered entertainment value compared to the dross in France. It's a product completely devoid of anything particularly interesting until another consortium decides to put money in. But then again, they would rather do that elsewhere.

Charles Miller

The comparison with Ronaldo Nazario is perfectly acceptable imo. R9 had some futsal tricks that are not in Mbappe style so far but in general they are similar.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I have no doubts that it's only a matter of time, assuming good health, that he will match the ridiculous goal tallies that Messi and CR7 have accomplished over a season at some point in his career. He has such a good vision of where to be and how to use the right first touch to get himself into good positions to score. His finishing is still far from perfect and yet he's only got Messi ahead of him in the scoring charts. Once he irons out his finishing, he will be a 40-50+ goals/season kind of player (and he might get close to that this season).

King.of.Red

I have no doubts that it's only a matter of time, assuming good health, that he will match the ridiculous goal tallies that Messi and CR7 have accomplished over a season at some point in his career. He has such a good vision of where to be and how to use the right first touch to get himself into good positions to score. His finishing is still far from perfect and yet he's only got Messi ahead of him in the scoring charts. Once he irons out his finishing, he will be a 40-50+ goals/season kind of player (and he might get close to that this season).
Just I hope one day he will leave ligue 1 and move to La Liga or EPL so I can watch him more. Right now I'm never interested to see ligue 1, just watching match & goal highlights. :D

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
He will eventually move to Barca/Real or the PL he can’t be stuck in PSG playing in a nothing league with like a dozen competitive CL games a year. If he carries on like this he’s will set a world record fee he’s already way ahead of Neymar at the same age.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Ligue 1 should keep its players, it's tiring to read shits like nothing or farmer league and then see the same sets of fans gushing over a dozen of Ligue 1 players every year when the transfer window starts.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I see where you are coming from but the first sentence "the league is a bit ridiculous" led to this answer. The league isn't ridiculous but the context is, basically PSG are one of the top teams in Europe and the only team in the league that can actually keep its best players, particularly attacking players. The other teams are continuously fielding new and young players who despite being talented can't really compete with the regularity and experience that seasoned players like Neymar or Cavani have or the talent of someone like Mbappé which would be true in pretty much every other leagues in the world.
Yeah, that's fair enough, I should have stated in my original post that i wasn't saying that the quality of the overall league was shocking, but PSGs quality in relation to them was overwhelmingly huge. It's a shame for the other teams as they do not have the same money draw that lower level PL clubs will.

I was making more of a general reply, triggered by your post I admit. On the previous page someone wrote :
"Since hes playing in a farmers league can anyone get comparison of the number of champions league goals he has compared to Rooney,Ronaldo etc."

Reading "farmers league" over and over again is a bit... exhausting, even if i should expect it on a Man Utd Forum.

My main point was just the fact that's it's not particularly easier to score in L1 than it is in PL.
No worries mate, it's understandable, I should have made myself clearer originally.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Ligue 1 should keep its players, it's tiring to read shits like nothing or farmer league and then see the same sets of fans gushing over a dozen of Ligue 1 players every year when the transfer window starts.
Maybe if some other oil countries bought a few other clubs in Ligue 1.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
At least we don't have to pay for the players ourselves with 100€+/month TV subscription because TV networks pay the league a ridiculous amount of money...

JPRouve

Scout
That's the paradox, you produce good players year in year out, they leave the league mainly to get bigger checks and it's labeled as a shit league. You get sugar daddies and it's a shit league with no history.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
That's the paradox, you produce good players year in year out, they leave the league mainly to get bigger checks and it's labeled as a shit league. You get sugar daddies and it's a shit league with no history.
Cal is on to something, though.

City lucking out & winning the oil lottery didn't turn the PL into a snoozefest because the other teams in the league are still VERY competitive, as proven by City's (and everyone else's) inability to defend the league title. PSG go into each season as overwhelming favourites for every domestic competition.

If a few other oil billionaires came in & invested heavily in a the other clubs, then we'd have something to talk about at the top of the table. I still enjoy watching Ligue 1, and some of the teams are obviously quality, but they're so far behind PSG that it's more than a tad boring knowing how the table will look come the end of the season (unless Monaco stumble upon the perfect XI/season again).

Cal?

CR7 fan
At least we don't have to pay for the players ourselves with 100€+/month TV subscription because TV networks pay the league a ridiculous amount of money...
For the league it'd be a good thing
Not true, it's the lack of competition due to PSG being so far better than everyone else that makes it a shit league. If a few more clubs had multi-billionaire backing, it'd become competitive like La Liga.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG

City lucking out & winning the oil lottery didn't turn the PL into a snoozefest because the other teams in the league are still VERY competitive, as proven by City's (and everyone else's) inability to defend the league title. PSG go into each season as overwhelming favourites for every domestic competition.

If a few other oil billionaires came in & invested heavily in a the other clubs, then we'd have something to talk about at the top of the table. I still enjoy watching Ligue 1, and some of the teams are obviously quality, but they're so far behind PSG that it's more than a tad boring knowing how the table will look come the end of the season (unless Monaco stumble upon the perfect XI/season again).
Your assessment is reasonnable. Talking about a "nothing league" or "farmer league" is disrespectful and totally leaves aside the fact that a good chunk of the best players in PL came straight from L1 (Hazard, Kante, Bernardo Silva...).

Is PL superiror to L1? Obviously, there's no debate possible but still, L1 is totally underrated here as if it was Romanian championship. I really do hope Rennes eliminate Arsenal to even the scores a bit (even if it seems unlikely).

Its very funny to hear constantly about oil money as if it was evil. I'd rather have foreign investors pour money in our championship than TV channels bleeding fans dry with insane monthly subscription so they can pay for ridiculous TV rights.

Cal?

CR7 fan

Exactly, if only just one more club got billionaire backing, you'd immediately have the French version of El Clasico.

Imagine PSG with Neymar, Mbappe, Lyon with Messi, Suarez, it'd generate so much more interest in the game itself and by association, the league itself.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Not true, it's the lack of competition due to PSG being so far better than everyone else that makes it a shit league. If a few more clubs had multi-billionaire backing, it'd become competitive like La Liga.
Is La Liga really that competitive though? Barcelona 10 points ahead when they play like sh*t most of the time relying on Messi only (and unable to perform in C1)? I'm not that sure. Bundesliga wasn't competitive for years, Italy sure isn't.... What does it say? That Eredivisie is a better league than all the rest but PL?

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Is La Liga really that competitive though? Barcelona 10 points ahead when they play like sh*t most of the time relying on Messi only (and unable to perform in C1)? I'm not that sure. Bundesliga wasn't competitive for years, Italy sure isn't.... What does it say? That Eredivisie is a better league than all the rest but PL?
In some regards? Yes. A competition between a bunch of 5/10 & 6/10 rated teams is going to be close & more compelling than a competition between a 10/10 rated teams with a few 7/10 rated teams nearby. No-one doubts the quality of the top clubs in the latter league is higher than the other, but the other league has unpredictability & genuine competition.

Cal?

CR7 fan
It's the perception people have at the beginning of the season. Barca were indeed favorites (with Ronaldo and Zidane leaving Real), but people still thought Real and Atletico had a chance. Likewise Juve in Serie A, Napoli gave them a title race last season.

Bayern have also been challenged, lost the title many times. But the Bundesliga does have a reputation as a one-horse race similar to Ligue 1, but not to the same extent as their other clubs still get somewhere in the CL.

On the other hand, the one time PSG didn't win the title, Monaco sold all their best players - with THE STAR himself going to PSG, and basically I can't recall the last time a non-PSG French club got to the latter stages of the CL.

Red Star One

Run twenty one-off games between La Liga's 1st team vs Ligue 1 1st team, 2nd vs 2nd and so on until currently 20th vs 20th. Barca - PSG, Atleti - Lille, Real - Lyon until Villarreal - Dijon, Rayo - Caen, Huesca - Guingamp.
How many games would you expect Spanish team to win? I say at least 15-16.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Run twenty one-off games between La Liga's 1st team vs Ligue 1 1st team, 2nd vs 2nd and so on until currently 20th vs 20th. Barca - PSG, Atleti - Lille, Real - Lyon until Villarreal - Dijon, Rayo - Caen, Huesca - Guingamp.
If you got bookies to price these games, La Liga has 19 I think. PSG are probably favs against Barca, but that's it.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It's the perception people have at the beginning of the season. Barca were indeed favorites (with Ronaldo and Zidane leaving Real), but people still thought Real and Atletico had a chance. Likewise Juve in Serie A, Napoli gave them a title race last season.

Bayern have also been challenged, lost the title many times. But the Bundesliga does have a reputation as a one-horse race similar to Ligue 1, but not to the same extent as their other clubs still get somewhere in the CL.

On the other hand, the one time PSG didn't win the title, Monaco sold all their best players - with THE STAR himself going to PSG, and basically I can't recall the last time a non-PSG French club got to the latter stages of the CL.
:lol: Let me remind you, Monaco did it and reached the semi of the CL, something PSG hasn't been able to do in their history yet. Monaco even played in a CL final but that was a while ago now.

Cal?

CR7 fan
:lol: Let me remind you, Monaco did it and reached the semi of the CL, something PSG hasn't been able to do in their history yet. Monaco even played in a CL final but that was a while ago now.
Good point, my bad.

They dismantled that team so quickly it sort of disappeared from my mind.

Selling Mbappe to PSG sums up the problem in Ligue 1.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I don't think people are as such, underrating Ligue 1, as they are saying players like Mbappe, Veratti etc are being wasted.
The ligue is a tier down from the big leagues, and really, some of these players shouldn't be playing there.

Take away the PSG factor and the league sits along side the Portuguese, Dutch leagues etc.
Mbappe, wouldn't have stuck around there.

JPRouve

Scout
That's a strange logic, the quality of a league isn't based on its competitiveness. I feel that people are mixing overall quality and the entertainment of the title race, that's two different things. It's true that PSG not having an other super team makes the title race predictable but that's because PSG is an excellent team more than because the rest of the league is bad which is why calling the league shit is ridiculous. If you say that the tile race is boring then you are totally correct and a sugar daddy in one of the other team would make it a lot more interesting.

People make these claims but then Betis got battered by Rennes.

Last edited:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Good point, my bad.

They dismantled that team so quickly it sort of disappeared from my mind.

Selling Mbappe to PSG sums up the problem in Ligue 1.
I don't think it does tbh. It sure hasn't helped but M'Bappé was gonna leave anyway because Monaco couldn't guarantee they could see him for that similar the following season, if he had went abroad then PSG would have still dominated the league by buying others. The real problem is that no one can come close to competing financially against them.

Cal?

CR7 fan
That's a strange logic, the quality of a league isn't based on its competitiveness. I feel that people are mixing overall quality and the entertainment of the title race, that's two different things. It's true that PSG not having an other super team makes the title race predictable but that's because PSG is an excellent more than because the rest of the league is bad which is why calling the league shit is ridiculous. If you say that the tile race is boring then you are totally correct and a sugar daddy in one of the other team would make it a lot more interesting
Sorry maybe I phrased it badly, the teams and players are not shit. I meant shit league in terms of the interests it generates.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Sorry maybe I phrased it badly, the teams and players are not shit. I meant shit league in terms of the interests it generates.
That i can understand.

At least our TV right will increase next year, doubling the budget of the smallest club, it'll probably help clubs keep their good players a little longer.

On top of that, PSG signed a huge new jersey deal, lets hope it'll attract sponsors for other clubs.

But reading sentences like "Mbappé's goals aren't really the reflect of anything because he plays in a farmers league" make me cringe pretty bad.

JPRouve

Scout
In that context you are correct, particularly with Monaco selling everyone. That's why I said that it would be better if the teams could simply keep their players, the issue is mainly due to wages. The league doesn't actually need a tone of money to become very competitive, if the likes of Marseille and Lyon could generate 20-30 extra million they could keep their top 5 players, they would be in a position to keep players like Lacazette or prevent players like Kanté to leave the league to join Leicester. That's the difference between this league and others, the players are already there, the problem is to keep them.

Cal?

CR7 fan
That i can understand.

At least our TV right will increase next year, doubling the budget of the smallest club, it'll probably help clubs keep their good players a little longer.

On top of that, PSG signed a huge new jersey deal, lets hope it'll attract sponsors for other clubs.

But reading sentences like "Mbappé's goals aren't really the reflect of anything because he plays in a farmers league" make me cringe pretty bad.
The issue is still the gap between PSG and the rest is even bigger than Juve or Bayern in their versions of one team leagues.

In that context you are correct, particularly with Monaco selling everyone. That's why I said that it would be better if the teams could simply keep their players, the issue is mainly due to wages. The league doesn't actually need a tone of money to become very competitive, if the likes of Marseille and Lyon could generate 20-30 extra million they could keep their top 5 players, they would be in a position to keep players like Lacazette or prevent players like Kanté to leave the league to join Leicester. That's the difference between this league and others, the players are already there, the problem is to keep them.
There's no doubt France produces a lot of very good players, I don't think anyone will argue that.

But top French players mostly play outside Ligue 1, and have done for generations. That's won't change too quickly unless the league gets another oil club.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Try to remember better or pay more attention: Monaco reached CL semis twice in the last 5 years and Lyon once in the last 10, somdthing PSG haven't done in the Qatar era.
You can look at the recent encounters: Rennes just beat Betis in EL and last season Lyon and Marseille respectively eliminated Villareal and Bilbao super easily. Lately L1 has also had a positive record over PL in Europe, and it's not PSG driving those numbers.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Not trying to be a dick by bringing up old posts, but does anyone still think any of this lot are better than him?

Messi, Ronaldo, and debatably Neymar for me. He’s better than the rest.
Kane, Aguero, Neymar, Cavani, Lewandowski are all better still imo but not for much longer as Mbappe is still going to get better. The rest no chance, I was wrong.

Suarez has still piled up a load of goals so is still a top striker, Aubameyang is great as well. The latter two are worse than Mbappe but not by that much tbf.

Member 93275

Kane, Aguero, Neymar, Cavani, Lewandowski are all better still imo but not for much longer as Mbappe is still going to get better. The rest no chance, I was wrong.

Suarez has still piled up a load of goals so is still a top striker, Aubameyang is great as well. The latter two are worse than Mbappe but not by that much tbf.
Haha I love it when people have such confidence in rating players like they have some secret super accurate points system to order them, totally ignoring the soft science reality of football.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Haha I love it when people have such confidence in rating players like they have some secret super accurate points system to order them, totally ignoring the soft science reality of football.
It’s all based on opinions to be fair. Everyone has different opinions. There is no definite answer about who is better than who.

Member 93275

It’s all based on opinions to be fair. Everyone has different opinions. There is no definite answer about who is better than who.
Yeah you're right of course. Also it would get very boring without opinion but instead vague philosophies about the meaning of it all. Carry on my dear man ;)

cusmarr

Supports
PSG
There is one thing that keep investors out of french clubs : Taxes

For a net €5m wage, PSG has to pay €8-10m gross. Then you add income taxes at the end of the year which represent 40% of players income.

It's insane, and that the same for every french club.

Totally unfair for us. You can add the DNCG, which we are the only one to have in europe and that pretty sums up why french clubs can't compete at european level.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stadjer

There is one thing that keep investors out of french clubs : Taxes

For a net €5m wage, PSG has to pay €8-10m gross. Then you add income taxes at the end of the year which represent 40% of players income.

It's insane, and that the same for every french club.

Totally unfair for us. You can add the DNCG, which we are the only one to have in europe and that pretty sums up why french clubs can't compete at european level.
Even Monaco? Arent there some different tax rules there?

JPRouve

Scout
Even Monaco? Arent there some different tax rules there?
Monaco pay less taxes and foreign players don't pay income taxes while french players do. Though Monaco has to pay something like 25m every year to the LFP.