La liga 2022/23

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Pele defends Vinicius: Even if racism exists, we won't let it stop us from smiling.

"Football is joy. It is a dance. It is a real party. Even if racism still exists, we will not let it stop us from smiling," he wrote on Twitter.

"And we will continue to fight racism in this way: fighting for our right to be happy."

Blackwidow

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Elche down to 10 men inside 15 mins. Obvious red card. Another 4 goal win incoming for Barca.

CruyffMaradonaMessi

Supports
FC Barcelona
Pele defends Vinicius: Even if racism exists, we won't let it stop us from smiling.

"Football is joy. It is a dance. It is a real party. Even if racism still exists, we will not let it stop us from smiling," he wrote on Twitter.

"And we will continue to fight racism in this way: fighting for our right to be happy."
I have not been following news the past 2 days due to a very busy schedule but where does this "racism" against Vinicius come from out of a sudden?

Another RM orchestrated media campaign?

Vinicius is a very provocative player with a dubious attitude. Whether this is your typical Brazilian diva like behavior (Neymar most recent example in Spain) or his young age or whatever, but it is evident.

Write https + twitter + com/Reycholosimeone/status/1570906637023727616 to see an example of this dubious behavior (heavy insults in Spanish to opponents, provocations etc.)

Double standards in the RM dominated media: (speaking about Neymar)

Write https + twitter + com/_Futbolero_/status/1571125514294927364

Write https + twitter + com/_Futbolero_/status/1570903203692318720

I cannot post links yet. (they are all in Spanish BTW, people can use Google Translate to get the grasp of it)

Just tuned in. I can see that we are leading 2-0 against Elche. How has the general play been?

BTW, there is no racism to see anywhere, I just saw the statement. 100 times worse things were said about Neymar during his time at Barça and I did not see this reaction or "everyone with Neymar" media campaign and Neymar was far more abused/kicked etc. (by RM players too - the famous Isco brutal tackle against him in the 0-4 victory in 2015 is a good example) than Vinicius has ever been. This is typical selective outrage in Spanish media, nothing new.

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
:lol: :lol: :lol: the one good thing Laporta did was kicking the boixos nois out of the camp nou

Why the feck are we letting them in here? :D

CruyffMaradonaMessi

Supports
FC Barcelona
:lol: :lol: :lol: the one good thing Laporta did was kicking the boixos nois out of the camp nou

Why the feck are we letting them in here? :D
Unlike 99.99% of all users here I am from Spain, fully fluent in Spanish and aware of what is considered as a racist statement and what is not in the country. Ask any Spaniard or Spanish user here, unless they are among the minority of extremist political correctness crazy people (where every statement of any kind is scrutinized 1 billion times always with the most ulterior motives in mind - professional complainers in regards to every topic in the society), and they will confirm the same thing. There was nothing even remotely racist said towards Vinicius by the president of the Association of Spanish Agents (Pedro Bravo).

Speaking about the Boixos Nois, they were kicked out from the Camp Nou almost 20 years ago while the RM equivalents (Ultras Sur) were kicked out by Florentino much later (10 years later or so).

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Unlike 99.99% of all users here I am from Spain, fully fluent in Spanish and aware of what is considered as a racist statement and what is not in the country. There was nothing even remotely racist said towards Vinicius by the president of the Association of Spanish Agents (Pedro Bravo).
You don't need to be Spanish go understand context. "This is not a sambodromo" "should go back go brazil" "don't act like a monkey" in the same statement carry a very clear message

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Unlike 99.99% of all users here I am from Spain, fully fluent in Spanish and aware of what is considered as a racist statement and what is not in the country. Ask any Spaniard or Spanish user here that is not an extremistic political correctness crazy person (where every statement of any kind is scrutinized 1 billion times always with the most ulterior motives in mind) and they will confirm the same thing. There was nothing even remotely racist said towards Vinicius by the president of the Association of Spanish Agents (Pedro Bravo).

Speaking about the Boixos Nois, they were kicked out from the Camp Nou almost 20 years ago while the RM equivalents (Ultras Sur) were kicked out by Florentino much later (10 years later or so).
Racism is not a competition to be won. But well done

CruyffMaradonaMessi

Supports
FC Barcelona
Well, by that logic the vast majority of Spaniards are racist (in fact almost all of us outside of the community that I described) and if I were to join that community, I could say that you guys are now racists towards Spaniards and our sayings.. See where this is going?

The statement itself (in a Spanish language context and in the Spanish context of sayings) was NOT racist. That is the crucial thing here.

There is nothing racist about mentioning Sambódromo either, there are plenty of carnivals very similar to the Brazilian ones in Spain (second largest in the world is held in Santa Cruz de Tenerife in fact) where people of all colors and origin congregate.

He basically just told Vinicius not to provoke opponents too much (I already provided evidence of Vinicius provocative behavior towards opponents and his insults towards opponents - I guess this does not bother anyone) and to behave himself in this regard (provocation department). Once again, 100 times worse things were said about Neymar, yet there was never any RM orchestrated media campaign (naturally) or media outrage, rather Neymar was considered the villain and as such treated much worse by opponents and referees.

And let us be honest, such provocative behavior is not tolerated in Brazil or South America either, there you would risk getting your legs broken.

It is a undiplomatic statement that should not have been said this way as all he could have said (to get the point across) was to point out to Vinicius that he should remember to respect his opponents.

Both Neymar and Vinicius, as great as they both were,/are had this Brazilian favela street football tendency to humiliate the opponent and provoke him whenever they felt like it, which obviously was met with reactions by their opponents. It is what it is.

Spanish football fans are very peculiar in this regard, they will cheer for their own players doing such a thing, but if the opponent player does it, they will be offended and talk about lack of manners, lack of respect etc.

What do I know, maybe all 48 million of us are racists without knowing it.

mu4c_20le

The statement itself (in a Spanish language context and in the Spanish context of sayings) was NOT racist. That is the crucial thing here.
You'd have to be extremely ignorant or willfuly naive to think that. According to your logic, fans tossing bananas at a black player might have good intentions, like helping replenish his potassium levels?

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Players scoring 6 goals in the first 7 games

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
You'd have to be extremely ignorant or willfuly naive to think that. According to your logic, fans tossing bananas at a black player might have good intentions, like helping replenish his potassium levels?
:lol:

CruyffMaradonaMessi

Supports
FC Barcelona
Are you trolling now? You are comparing the statement discussed (which is not racist in Spain as already explained by me and other Spanish users here) with actual blatant racism? Ok. Anyway, if you want my opinion about this whole racism topic, then yes, Spain has a problem with this in some circles, as does countries like Italy (my mother's side is Italian so I know that country well too) which are even worse. In fact all of Europe has this problem in certain circles and the world as a whole irrespective of skin color, religion, origin etc.

Your comparison is absolutely idiotic, no offense. Anyway I am ending it here as there is no point continuing. If you don't believe what I wrote, consult other Spaniards or Spanish speakers and they will most likely tell you exactly the same thing about what was said and that it is not considered racist at all.

The expression "make the monkey" means to not make an idiot of yourself or to not be stupid. It has always been used in Spain and has nothing to do with skin color. It is very simple, can't say it more clear than this.

Now what you guys, that call it racist without knowing anything about the saying's meaning in Spain, are doing, is constructing an alternative reality where this guy used that expression deliberately just because of Vinicius's skin color which is an absurd accusation. Literally nobody has ever talked about his skin color in Spain to this date in any context. So yes, if you can read the mind of that guy and you are right, then yes, it was a racist comment, but the likelihood of that is very low.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
You don't need to be Spanish go understand context. "This is not a sambodromo" "should go back go brazil" "don't act like a monkey" in the same statement carry a very clear message
This is absolutely right and quite frankly I am shocked by the amount of people who don't see it that way.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Dani Alves agrees!

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
They chant "Vinicius you are a monkey"

Last edited:

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
They chant "Vinicius you are a monkey"
Let's just wait for someone tries to explain how that is an idiomatic expression in Spain that doesn't have racist connotations. :rolleyes:

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
I have not been following news the past 2 days due to a very busy schedule but where does this "racism" against Vinicius come from out of a sudden?

Another RM orchestrated media campaign?

Vinicius is a very provocative player with a dubious attitude. Whether this is your typical Brazilian diva like behavior (Neymar most recent example in Spain) or his young age or whatever, but it is evident.

Write https + twitter + com/Reycholosimeone/status/1570906637023727616 to see an example of this dubious behavior (heavy insults in Spanish to opponents, provocations etc.)

Double standards in the RM dominated media: (speaking about Neymar)

Write https + twitter + com/_Futbolero_/status/1571125514294927364

Write https + twitter + com/_Futbolero_/status/1570903203692318720

I cannot post links yet. (they are all in Spanish BTW, people can use Google Translate to get the grasp of it)

Just tuned in. I can see that we are leading 2-0 against Elche. How has the general play been?

BTW, there is no racism to see anywhere, I just saw the statement. 100 times worse things were said about Neymar during his time at Barça and I did not see this reaction or "everyone with Neymar" media campaign and Neymar was far more abused/kicked etc. (by RM players too - the famous Isco brutal tackle against him in the 0-4 victory in 2015 is a good example) than Vinicius has ever been. This is typical selective outrage in Spanish media, nothing new.
Very well orchestrated campaign indeed

Now it seems all these Atletico supporters were paid to sing "Vinicius, you are a monkey"

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Let's just wait for someone tries to explain how that is an idiomatic expression in Spain that doesn't have racist connotations. :rolleyes:
I think the guy used that expression with no racist connotations, although he did sound xenophobic, but now they have given them gasolina.
If there are chants, which there will be, they should just walk off the pitch.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
I think the guy used that expression with no racist connotations, although he did sound xenophobic, but now they have given them gasolina.
If there are chants, which there will be, they should just walk off the pitch.
I really hope they do.

wr8_utd

:'(
Atleti not being cheap today and starting Griezmann.

Guess we're going to see another game with Madrid being average for 85 minutes and then scoring 3 goals.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Madrid derby starting soon ITV4 if didn’t realise or looking for dodgy stream

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I think the guy used that expression with no racist connotations,
There is no way he didn't know most people would read racist connotations in that statement. He did it anyway. No way he didn't intend for there to be racist connotations. He knew what he was doing and how people would react