La Liga 2023/24

JogaBonitoRooney

You also have to consider it from Valencia's perspective. The game already went well into extra time overtime. If Real are allowed to have a goal scoring opportunity at 1:40 over extra time then that could be called unfair for Valencia.

colombianmancunian

What happened to Madrid today is a disgrace and a robbery, Gil Manzano is a referee who historically have done damage to Real Madrid. Negreira league.

If that has happened to Barcelona I can only imagine Xavi’s reaction and tears.

Ole'sgunnarwin

So he played longer than he should have (should have blown straight after the corner as he allegedly said it was the last play) but played a few seconds more and the issue is he didn’t play several seconds longer so Real Madrid could win? :rolleyes:

Bellinghams face after the red is hilarious “you mean I can’t be part of several players who surround the ref, shout abuse at him and get let off? :(“.

My only issue is refs around the world don’t card LOTS more players for abuse and dissent.. every time. Including ours.
I'll never understand it. Referees with big characters back in the day wouldn't allow it.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
You also have to consider it from Valencia's perspective. The game already went well into extra time overtime. If Real are allowed to have a goal scoring opportunity at 1:40 over extra time then that could be called unfair for Valencia.
People keep bringing up the 1.40 overtime, but conveniently ignore the VAR check that took even longer during ET (not to mention the timewasting and injury but alas)…only reason people are trying to justify this is because it happened to a big club and it is fun to laugh at other big clubs when things like this happen. Which…fair enough really. That is understandable. But to go and try to actually make it out to be some great decision that is totally normal, come on now :lol:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
What is it with refs losing the plot this weekend? This, Lazio-Milan and Forest-Liverpool all in the space of 24 hours...

Marvin look out

Pedri is technically very good but he gets injured too much. I would bet, I don't know off the top of my head, that he has been injured or ended up with discomfort in more than one elite medium-high intensity game.
Also when he was young he tried out for Madrid and they didn't take him. He has repeated this in several interviews and there seems to be a bit of resentment in his words.
Camavinga is not ready yet. Sometimes he is compared to Seedorf but both in shooting, passing and even defensively I think he is quite far away.
It's often a question of ambition and having a good head, which I think he has, so he has a lot of room for improvement.
In the case of Tchouameni (I take this opportunity to regurgitate my criticisms) I don't know how to explain it very well, but I think he wants to be a different player than what he is. As if he wants to be a Vieira.
There is a certain air of smugness in his game that is annoying.
Alvaro Benito(super promise in Raúl's era who retired young due to injury and reconverted into a fairly recognized pundit) said recently:
" He deserves more bench than Modric.
He's been here for two seasons and I still don't dare to say what his virtues are or what he excels at. I still don't dare to say, he is a great distributor, he is a great defender, he is a very good player in driving, in transitions.... I still do not dare to make a prediction of what this kid is going to be and I have to demand more. Everyone must demand more, first Real Madrid"
In any case I don't think that a sale is what the club is looking for, that they will find something similar for that price, because after all he is not a bad player and could become, if he accepts it, a good center back.
Camavinga's energy is amazing. He's almost unstoppable when he drives the ball forward and he also covers a lot of ground defensively. He needs to find the right balance between carrying the ball forward and slowing the game down, which is not easy to do when you have both good physical and technical ability. He's a bit like Kovacic in that regard. But as you said, at only 21 his room for improvement is huge.

This guy is spot on as far as Tchouaméni. I don't see any area where he's great. He has been fairly average for Madrid so far.

What I find interesting in Madrid's recent evolution is the difference of profile between some players of similar positions in the team you had in a recent past compared to the team you will probably have next season. You went from Kroos-Modric-Isco-Benzema-Marcelo to Valverde-Camavinga-Tchouaméni-Mbappe-Davies. You could make a 5-a-side match between them and name it "Technique vs. Speed".
How do Madrid fans feel about that? It almost feels like you're building a team to play in 3-5-2 next season.

JogaBonitoRooney

People keep bringing up the 1.40 overtime, but conveniently ignore the VAR check that took even longer during ET (not to mention the timewasting and injury but alas)…only reason people are trying to justify this is because it happened to a big club and it is fun to laugh at other big clubs when things like this happen. Which…fair enough really. That is understandable. But to go and try to actually make it out to be some great decision that is totally normal, come on now :lol:
The reason we have the extra time rule update implemented from this season in both EPL and La Liga, originally starting in the World Cup, was to accommodate the time wasted during regular time and the expected time to be wasted during extra time for things such as substitutions, injury, VAR check.

Before we used to have 2 to 5 minutes extra time as an average now we have 6 to 9 minutes on average with the rule update.

6 to 9 minutes gives you around 4 minutes actual game play which is how much actual extra time game play we wanted before the rule update.

If we start complaining asking for more extra time on time wasting already taken into account, we'll end up eventually getting 20+ mins extra on the clock.

1:40 mins over an already 7 allocated minutes was generous enough.

90 + 5min

I still don't understand what the problem is. He blew first time when Madrid player was leaving the box. Then he blew again. Then he blew when Madrid player crossed the ball. Then he blew again. Then he blew when Bellingham head it. It was 5+ seconds between first whistle and the goal.

I wish we could have some good referees in Premier League that actually knew what rules are and applied them regardless of teams. Like this guy yesterday.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Camavinga is actually really good in terms of progressive passing, it's his best skill. He's just not quite as refined yet as, say, Pedri, but he's the one that's supposed to eventually step into Modric's boots, so to speak. He does have the skillset for it, remains to be seen whether he also has the talent and can develop the ability to do it for Real Madrid

We don't have anybody like Kroos though, an organizer. That's supposed to be Tchouameni I think, but so far he's been a bust...

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
The reason we have the extra time rule update implemented from this season in both EPL and La Liga, originally starting in the World Cup, was to accommodate the time wasted during regular time and the expected time to be wasted during extra time for things such as substitutions, injury, VAR check.

Before we used to have 2 to 5 minutes extra time as an average now we have 6 to 9 minutes on average with the rule update.

6 to 9 minutes gives you around 4 minutes actual game play which is how much actual extra time game play we wanted before the rule update.

If we start complaining asking for more extra time on time wasting already taken into account, we'll end up eventually getting 20+ mins extra on the clock.

1:40 mins over an already 7 allocated minutes was generous enough.
By that logic, the added ET could be 7 minutes, 5 minutes of which would not be played because for whatever reason and it would be okay for the ref to blow the whistle at the 98 mark.

That is the whole point. The ref has wasted a good 3 minutes during ET checking. I don’t get why people are being so obtuse about it. Just say you like seeing it happen because feck it and that’s entirely fair :lol: Don’t come up with BS justifications.

I still don't understand what the problem is. He blew first time when Madrid player was leaving the box. Then he blew again. Then he blew when Madrid player crossed the ball. Then he blew again. Then he blew when Bellingham head it. It was 5+ seconds between first whistle and the goal.

I wish we could have some good referees in Premier League that actually knew what rules are and applied them regardless of teams. Like this guy yesterday.
He didn’t.

• The ball was cleared
• He hesitated to whistle and decided not to
• Brahim puts in the cross
• He quickly decided to blow at that moment
• Juse scores

Either way it would’ve been rather premature because as has been mentioned countless times and people keep ignoring it to stand by their take: there was a VAR review during ET that alone wasted a good 2-3 minutes.

But even with that: there wouldn’t be this amount of backlash if he did indeed actually end the game the moment the ball was cleared. Really his own stupidity.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Camavinga's energy is amazing. He's almost unstoppable when he drives the ball forward and he also covers a lot of ground defensively. He needs to find the right balance between carrying the ball forward and slowing the game down, which is not easy to do when you have both good physical and technical ability. He's a bit like Kovacic in that regard. But as you said, at only 21 his room for improvement is huge.

This guy is spot on as far as Tchouaméni. I don't see any area where he's great. He has been fairly average for Madrid so far.

What I find interesting in Madrid's recent evolution is the difference of profile between some players of similar positions in the team you had in a recent past compared to the team you will probably have next season. You went from Kroos-Modric-Isco-Benzema-Marcelo to Valverde-Camavinga-Tchouaméni-Mbappe-Davies. You could make a 5-a-side match between them and name it "Technique vs. Speed".
How do Madrid fans feel about that? It almost feels like you're building a team to play in 3-5-2 next season.
About the system, there is a madridista guru on twitter, itk/ideologue/humorist called Sisón, very famous, even named by Tebas( rumored to be Enrique Pérez, Florentino's brother) who defines the future system as 3-x-2-x-2-x based on constant changes and coverages and in which the x's( Camavinga, Jude and Mbappe?) would be something like versatile players with an abstract position.
I don't know how to draw it here but this change of trend - beyond considering that physical football is the way to go - looks for players to cover large areas of the field. Camavinga for example would be a false fullback, occupying the entire center and even overlapping the position with Kroos' creative zone.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
About the system, there is a madridista guru on twitter, itk/ideologue/humorist called Sisón, very famous, even named by Tebas( rumored to be Enrique Pérez, Florentino's brother) who defines the future system as 3-x-2-x-2-x based on constant changes and coverages and in which the x's( Camavinga, Jude and Mbappe?) would be something like versatile players with an abstract position.
I don't know how to draw it here but this change of trend - beyond considering that physical football is the way to go - looks for players to cover large areas of the field. Camavinga for example would be a false fullback, occupying the entire center and even overlapping the position with Kroos' creative zone.
Sounds like a disaster defensively up against counter attacking teams. I don’t see us doing that. Would be nicer to go back to a 433.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He stole my idea btw :lol:

That's what I've been going on about: rudiger-Militao-Alaba at the back, Camavinga-Kroos-Valverde in the middle, then Vini-Jude-Carvajal behind a striker in possession, which shifts to either a 442 or 433 on defense, with Alaba-Rudi-Militao-Carvajal back 4, Cama-Kroos-Fede-Bellingham midfield and Vini-Striker, or Bellingham stays higher and central in a 433 shape

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
He stole my idea btw :lol:

That's what I've been going on about: rudiger-Militao-Alaba at the back, Camavinga-Kroos-Valverde in the middle, then Vini-Jude-Carvajal behind a striker in possession, which shifts to either a 442 or 433 on defense, with Alaba-Rudi-Militao-Carvajal back 4, Cama-Kroos-Fede-Bellingham midfield and Vini-Striker, or Bellingham stays higher and central in a 433 shape
We are getting Davies, so where would he fit in? Alaba might not return as expected either, certainly at his age. I’d like all the midfielders to play, Tchou included.

Carvajal-Rudi-Militao-Davies
Valverde-Tchou-Cama
———Jude———
Mbappe(?)-Vini

Would be my go to. Allows for Fede to make more attacking runs down that right side and Cama to be all over the left side of the pitch. Less defensive duties for Jude as Tchou would be the anchor.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
We are getting Davies, so where would he fit in? Alaba might not return as expected either, certainly at his age. I’d like all the midfielders to play, Tchou included.

Carvajal-Rudi-Militao-Davies
Valverde-Tchou-Cama
———Jude———
Mbappe(?)-Vini

Would be my go to. Allows for Fede to make more attacking runs down that right side and Cama to be all over the left side of the pitch. Less defensive duties for Jude as Tchou would be the anchor.
Depends on your willingness to spend and if you are fine with waiting a year for him.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
No idea, but I assume that'd get it done. It also depends on who Bayern can bring in as LB (Theo Hernandez?). Davies is allegedly asking for €20m a year which is frankly too much for him in my opinion.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Depends on your willingness to spend and if you are fine with waiting a year for him.
The club is fine with waiting, that much we know. But we also have a good relationship with Bayern so I’m expecting them to come to an agreement.

I prefer the 443/442 setup that works for this squad. Don’t see much in a 343 or some other setup, especially under Carlo.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
By that logic, the added ET could be 7 minutes, 5 minutes of which would not be played because for whatever reason and it would be okay for the ref to blow the whistle at the 98 mark.

That is the whole point. The ref has wasted a good 3 minutes during ET checking. I don’t get why people are being so obtuse about it. Just say you like seeing it happen because feck it and that’s entirely fair :lol: Don’t come up with BS justifications.

He didn’t.

• The ball was cleared
• He hesitated to whistle and decided not to
• Brahim puts in the cross
• He quickly decided to blow at that moment
• Juse scores

Either way it would’ve been rather premature because as has been mentioned countless times and people keep ignoring it to stand by their take: there was a VAR review during ET that alone wasted a good 2-3 minutes.

But even with that: there wouldn’t be this amount of backlash if he did indeed actually end the game the moment the ball was cleared. Really his own stupidity.
This is a bigger scandal than what happened over the weekend. Watch it.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Bellingham was sent off for saying "it's a fecking goal" btw

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Bellingham was sent off for saying "it's a fecking goal" btw
He said it aggresively though. The club will suggest him to take his hat off while carrying a cup of tea and sticking his little finger out next time.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Wheels off at Girona it seems, lost 1-0 at Mallorca. Third loss in four games.

Now if Athletic Bilbao could do us a favor…

wr8_utd

:'(
Very very costly match for Barca already. FDJ and Pedri (yet again) both off with injuries. They've also had absolutely wretched luck with injuries this season.

wr8_utd

Pedri is in tears on the bench and you've really got to feel for him. He's quite easily the best young midfield talent in the world and he just cannot catch a break with injuries. Even when he's not rushed back, he just can't stay fit.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Barca players dropping left and right, very unfortunate for them. This has been a brutal season for a lot of big clubs with injuries. Real, Barca, Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea come to mind.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Pedri is in tears on the bench and you've really got to feel for him. He's quite easily the best young midfield talent in the world and he just cannot catch a break with injuries. Even when he's not rushed back, he just can't stay fit.
I see this sentiment with a lot of people not supporting Barca, but Barca fans don’t seem to think that highly of him at all and have a lot of issues with his game. Personally I don’t see it either. Nice player but I don’t rate him that highly.

wr8_utd

I would be sad even if we win today. Damn injuries.
If both are longish term (and they look like they could be), I think that's the CL season over for Barca and any chance of a title run as well.
Barca players dropping left and right, very unfortunate for them. This has been a brutal season for a lot of big clubs with injuries. Real, Barca, Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea come to mind.
Yup, its quite incredible with some of the injuries going around. Its been utterly brutal.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Thought I had seen that ref somewhere before today

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
So maybe Madrid will end up looking for a manager soon?

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_...lege-ancelotti-tax-fraud-seek-prison-sentence
What is with Spain and these kinds of cases? There's clearly some sort of misinterpretation of a loophole that makes some of these big names get in trouble again and again (Alonso, Messi, Ronaldo),. Or are other countries more lax on the matter?
Given the timeframe, people involved, etc, I'd guess somebody sent them all to the same accountant(presumably with the incentive of paying less taxes) who then proceded to pull all this stunts

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
So maybe Madrid will end up looking for a manager soon?

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_...lege-ancelotti-tax-fraud-seek-prison-sentence
What is with Spain and these kinds of cases? There's clearly some sort of misinterpretation of a loophole that makes some of these big names get in trouble again and again (Alonso, Messi, Ronaldo),. Or are other countries more lax on the matter?
As the article notes, Alonso was found not guilty. There is probably shady stuff that happens, but the Spanish tax agency also seems a bit overzealous.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Atletico is having one of the seasons of all time.