LEGEND: What defines a Manchester United Legend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
legend is like beauty. it lies in the beholder's eyes.

there are fans' legends, media's legend and even rivals' legend.

topper

Clown
legend is like beauty. it lies in the beholder's eyes.

there are fans' legends, media's legend and even rivals' legend.
thats true but when someone says that Gary Bailey is a legend it does tend to make one question the whole legend thing ;)

I used to love watching Jim Holton play and he gave me immense pleasure but I do retain some objectivity and not call him a legend

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
The way almost all top footballers behave, Ole, Scholes, Giggs being the obvious exceptions I have my doubts there will be many footballing legends in the future. I personally now see very little point in glorifying individual footballers. My days of having personal favourites have past. When asked who my favourite player is - my answer is always ''Man of the Match''.

massey

For me personally a legend of the club is a player who you will look back on in 20,30,40 plus years and have a wry smile remembering the great player they were and the effort they gave to the club consistenly.I'd have schmikes,scholes,keane,giggs and cantona up their with the likes of best,law and charlton in the future..

p_ps_sock

What defines a Manchester United Legend?

I’m currently reading ‘Manchester United – The Biography’ by Jim White. For those who don’t know anything about Untied pre SAF, it’s a great read and helps put into context all the major phases of our clubs history and evolution.

I now understand what older fans mean about Busby when they say that he a took a provincial club, probably no stronger than today’s Sunderland or Newcastle and turned them into the best club in the world. Along the way, he instilled certain values like being a family and backing youth that still resonate and flourish in our culture today.

Likewise, I never knew too much about the post Busby - pre Atkinson phase either and the way the club nose dived after 1968. For me, this makes SAF’s achievements post 1999 even more amazing.

One of the recurring themes of this book is 'what defines a Manchester United legend'? We have not had a proper debate on this for a while so I wanted to get one started over the holiday season.

My definition of a United Legend has several key attributes:

1. He must have tenure at the club
2. He must have played in a significant amount of games
3. He must have made a major contribution to United winning honors
4. His contributions should be for United and NOT what he has achieved at other clubs or within his international career
5. He must be loved by the fans
6. There cannot be any debate that he is a legend

Please do comment on any additional attributes you think exist.

I’ve split my list into 2: Pre SAF and post SAF.

Likewise please give your opinions on the players I have proposed and any that you think are missing with reasons why.

Pre SAF

Billy Meredith
Dennis Violett
Alex Stepney
Duncan Edwards
Pat Crerand
Johnny Morris
Bobby Charlton
George Best
Dennis Law
Steve Coppell
Arthur Albiston
Gary Bailey

Post SAF:

Bryan Robson
Eric Cantona
Mark Hughes
Dennis Irwin
Steve Bruce
Gary Pallister
Peter Schmeichel
Ruud van Nistelrooy
Ole Gunnar Soslkjaer
Ryan Giggs
Roy Keane
Gary Neville
Paul Scholes

Candidates from current squad:

Rio Ferdinand
Cristiano Ronaldo
Wayne Rooney
Carlos Tevez
Charlie Roberts is a definite club legend, as is Johnny Carey, Johnny Berry and Jack Rowley, and probably others that I've failed to mention before coppell, bailey and morris

Only Keano, Cantona, Robson and Giggs are nailed on legends in the Fergie Era.
Scholes and Solskjaer should be added to that list.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Charlie Roberts is a definite club legend, as is Johnny Carey, Johnny Berry and Jack Rowley, and probably others that I've failed to mention before coppell, bailey and morris

Scholes and Solskjaer should be added to that list.
I agree with that!

lucius

as I was saying .......
my personal legends are :
Bobby Charlton

lucius

......... George Best
Eric Cantona

near legends .... Denis Law
Bryan Robson
Mark Hughes
Wayne Rooney

no others

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
May I remind those guilty of messing with the thread to quit please.

Alex you've had enough warnings buddy.

stevetheskier

no,no,no
if ever a player has been over-feted, it's him!

how he can even be within a whisker of bobby moore's england record amazes me
As for Moran and legendry status, its just like Beckham and Sparky fans arguing they are all legends, when you get impressed with a player when you're a kid its easy to stick with them.
I was hoping you would have some points that would remind me about performances by Moran that I had forgotten about.
I know what you mean about impressions - I thought Stuart Pearson was fantastic for United when I used to watch him, I even had my hair cut in the same style ! He did score vital goals and give his all (he was not a lazy player) but I have to face facts and accept that he is not a 'legend'.

stevetheskier

thats true but when someone says that Gary Bailey is a legend it does tend to make one question the whole legend thing ;)

I used to love watching Jim Holton play and he gave me immense pleasure but I do retain some objectivity and not call him a legend
Me too, and legend is one thing while cult hero is another.

Big Jim would certainly be on the cult hero list.

Cue cult heroes thread........

Spoony

The People's President
I was about to post this in the Cantona thread...

I'm narrowing down a list of legends I've seen in my lifetime. Cantona has become both legendary and mythical, and is romanticised by all fans who saw him play. Legendary status seems to've evolved into a stats competition but it's nowt to do with stats, it's all about romanticism, myth and legend. It's about passing on stories to next generations. When I was young I'd spend time in the library reading up on our greatest legend, Duncan Edwards, precisely because of the stories I was told about him and the Babes. There wasn't much footage so it's all fans had...old stories and books written about him. As for the players I've seen who are legends in my eyes. Bryan Robson, Eric Cantona and possibly Roy Keane, tick all boxes for me. It's a shame Keane had an anacrimonious split but one can't fault the player on the pitch. I'd say those three are nailed on in my lifetime.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Me personally, I'd take Ruud off that list and put David Beckham in his place. A guy who was with United from he was 14 years old and contributed hugely to our success in the 90's, with 14 winners medals. There's some debate as to whether Becks is a United legend but for me it's not even questionable, he's a United legend in my eyes and always will be :devil:
So you think that Mr Spice girl, who swore at SAF and masterminded his move to plastic Real is a legend?

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Vidic, Rio and Evra for their ability, achievements and love for the club are definitely up there for me even more than Ronaldo.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
My 10 top legends (SAF kids or buys)

10 - Peter Schmeichel. United's best ever keeper. The Great Dane was a one man defense with virtually no weaknesses in his game. His passion was witnessed in every game with us. Its a shame that he ended up playing with Shitty but he's a legend for us

9 - Ole. One of the deadliest finishers United had ever had. Ole fought tooth and nail to remain at OT refusing a first team role at Spurs just to remain with us. He never complained when SAF placed him on the bench or out of his position and he always gave his 100% for us

8- Ferdinand. In my opinion the best defender Britain and Manchester United had for the past 30 years. He came to United at quite a young age and immediately became the most important component of it, a role he kept for many many years. Its a shame that his unprofessional attitude in the missing drug test + Moyes last season stole a bit of his shine.

7- Michael Carrick - Its almost impossible to replace someone like Roy Keane however Carrick did that in 1 measly season. A shy guy, Carrick is in my opinion the most underrated midfielder Britain had ever had. His talent and professionalism cant be questioned

6- Roy Keane. The beating heart of Manchester United treble side. Keane's love towards the club is seen with each and every tackle of his. His spat with SAF and his reluctance to accept that age has caught up with him has taken away some of his shine. However he deserve the legend status at United.

5- Darren Fletcher. I would have given the Manchester United version of Rocky Balboa to Gaz if it wasn't for him. Fletcher's career spent his entire career proving people wrong. Hailed as the next big thing at United, Fletcher seemed failing out of grace when United spend millions on 3 new midfielders (Hargreaves, Carrick and Ando). With United already having Scholes and with Giggs being slowly shifted in CM, Fletch's future at United seemed sealed. However the man allowed his attitude do the talking and rightfully won a regular first team place with us. That is what legends do.

4- Gary Neville. At first I used to hate him. He was average and too rash in his decision making. However through hardwork he became one of the top fullbacks in the world. His love for us cant be questioned. Gaz does hate scousers

3- Ryan Giggs. His record for us is breathtaking. Always mature at his age, Giggs turned down a record offer from Inter only to end up playing for us for more than two decades. What a legend!!

2- "I was interested in signing Paul Scholes so I checked whose his agent was. It turned out that his agent was SAF, which made the transfer impossible to make". Those are the words of Massimo Moratti, Inter's former owner. Paul Scholes was a true servant for United. He fought his way to the top, he never complained even when solid competition was brought in (JSV) or was expected to change his role (stk, amc, dlp). FFS he even came out of retirement for us. What a man.

1- Eric Cantona. How can you ever criticize a man. He was a player who owed United nothing (he's not a homegrown talent) but was probably the person who understood the most what a United legend should be. Cantona resisted the lures from a much richer Inter, he was the first person to come to training and the last person to leave, he inspired kids by training with them and never left the training ground without giving his autograph to every fan waiting for him. Others tried to piggybank on their contribution to the team by overstaying a year or two past their prime but not Eric Cantona. He retired once he past the prime and never asked United anything for the service rendered. Hence why he deserves the top spot

Green_Red

When the image of the player evokes Manchester United.

When people think about the following players they only associate that player with the club.

Paul Scoles
Ryan Giggs
George Best
Bobby Charlton
Roy Keane
Eric Cantona

Opposition Legends

Jack Charlton
Alan Shearer
John Terry
Paulo Di Canio
Gianfranco Zola
Ian Rush
Robbie Fowler
Steve Gerrard

The player becomes synonymous with the club, inseparable from it.

Usually they will also have given the best years of their career to the club and thus to the fans.

It is also independent from success... Even Coventry City have their legends.

Cina

Feck sake, don't bump 7 year old threads. There is a reason there are actual warnings under the reply box telling you not to bump them!

Status
Not open for further replies.