Leicester City 19/20

Chipper

Adulterer.
If Chelsea, Spurs and United start playing to anywhere near the quality these teams have, I could see there being quite a big scrap for 3rd and 4th place.
Maybe. I know United have been better against the big teams so far, but having most of them away in the second half of the season doesn't fill me with confidence that we'll get 40-45 more points which is what I think we might need if were to catch Leicester.

Then if we're looking at Leicester from the perspective of them hitting a bumpy patch just now then of course Chelsea's is even bumpier with some of their recent scores and they're 7 points back on them. Don't really think Chelsea look like finishing ahead of Leicester with the amount of games they're losing at the moment.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Maybe. I know United have been better against the big teams so far, but having most of them away in the second half of the season doesn't fill me with confidence that we'll get 40-45 more points which is what I think we might need if were to catch Leicester.

Then if we're looking at Leicester from the perspective of them hitting a bumpy patch just now then of course Chelsea's is even bumpier with some of their recent scores and they're 7 points back.
Yeah, it's a big if with United. But I think both Chelsea and Spurs will push for those places. I was replying to the "easy top 4" finish bit. The only certainties are the two best teams.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Leicester have been really good at putting away the bottom half teams this season.

Until they stop doing that on regular basis they won't fall back into the pack imo.

Norwich 1-1 is only lower team they haven't beaten in months.

Lost to Man. City and Liverpool which the vast majority of teams in this league do. Obviously someone like Man. United can do better against that opposition but it balances out by drawing to us and Everton and losing to Watford, all teams Leicester have beaten in last month.

I think they'll be fine.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Rodger's said he's going to have to rest Vardy at some point.. could have fooled me that he did today. Can't see it now away at West ham & Newcastle where he might have been.

Bar the Aston Villa game they've looked a bit ropey for me especially in their last three homes games, that's three times consecutively the oppo has scored first at their place and the rest of game trying to chase. I didn't think they played well against Norwich, got bailed out by VAR by the narrowest of margin against Everton, and they didn't lay a glove on us tonight. I think we'll see where they are when their LC semi's/ Fa cup games come in January and how they prioritise the congestion.

FriendlyFox

Supports
Leicester City
Funny how our vocal Leicester fans have vanished recently..

Not one shot on target today at home. Dismal, awful performance. Look nothing like a top team in recent weeks
I think we're all probably still in shock, to be honest.

We've looked ropey in the past few weeks - Villa being the only convincing game - but even so, it's been embarrassing how easily we've been turned over by the two. I don't think even the most opportunistic Leicester fan would have expected a win in the last two (especially against Liverpool), and two competitive losses would have left most of us feeling optimistic. But we just didn't compete at all. It was men against boys. I thought the Man City game was the more embarrassing of the two (even though the end score-line looks more favourable) but in both games we could have easily conceded 6 or 7 and not felt hard done by. Now we clearly don't have the players of either side, but that's beside the point - far worse teams have put up a much better fight against them. Watford looked far better just the week before.

I think partly it's due to Liverpool/City both being on form, partly due to a lack of steel and physicality in our midfield (N'didi can hold his own, but Tielemans and Maddison lack bite), partly down to our poor wingers, but mostly down to tactics, and how Rodgers has set up the team. Any Leicester fan could have told you that sticking Maddison on the wing always makes us play poorly at the best of times (see: games vs. Wolves, Man United and the first Liverpool game), so how on earth did he think he was going to cope with TAA bombing down the wing. Liverpool and Celtic fans both said that Brendan doesn't know how to set up for big games, and the same thing seems to be showing.

So a good season still, but a grim few weeks for Leicester fans. Shows just how far the team (and manager) still have to go.

Reactions: van der star

einstein

Leicester need Vardy to do anything in the league. Vardy seemed to have a terrible game today. He had one shot all game which was in the 84th minute and hit the side netting. I think that was the primary reason for Leicester's performance today.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Not so weird after all then. Leicester are the ones at the end of their cycle, not City. This is as much as I expected (made this comment a week ago re. Rodgers separately somewhere on here).
What makes you say that? They’ll need to replace Vardy of course, but the majority of their key players are young.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Not so weird after all then. Leicester are the ones at the end of their cycle, not City. This is as much as I expected (made this comment a week ago re. Rodgers separately somewhere on here).
You're a real pussy man, Man City are nowhere your team in terms of play, consistency and capacity to get results on a regular basis. This will be a very very easy PL title win. Stop this faux humble act now please.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
What makes you say that? They’ll need to replace Vardy of course, but the majority of their key players are young.
people don't want to accept we have made it where we are so far on merit so look for reason as to why it will fail, human nature I guess, we have to keep proving we can do it where as teams like Arsenal have to keep proving they can't before opinions will change

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Tactically naive and very little squad depth. I still think they make top 4 because they don't have to play in Europe, but from the first minute, they were set up for a thrashing. When will teams learn you cannot push your fullback up against Liverpool. Even Pep dialed it back against them this season (and admitted to it). They are similar to United in that they are best when countering, therefore trying to dominate possession is playing into their hands.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Tactically naive and very little squad depth. I still think they make top 4 because they don't have to play in Europe, but from the first minute, they were set up for a thrashing. When will teams learn you cannot push your fullback up against Liverpool. Even Pep dialed it back against them this season (and admitted to it). They are similar to United in that they are best when countering, therefore trying to dominate possession is playing into their hands.
this is what I don't get from Brendan, Man City destroyed us as we tried to go toe to toe, he didn't learn, no Leicester fan would have complained had our midfield been Choudhury Ndidi Praet with 2 proper wingers trying to counter them, he was too stubborn

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
this is what I don't get from Brendan, Man City destroyed us as we tried to go toe to toe, he didn't learn, no Leicester fan would have complained had our midfield been Choudhury Ndidi Praet with 2 proper wingers trying to counter them, he was too stubborn
I couldn't believe what I was watching. Granted Rodgers is an actual football manager and knows loads more about tactics than I do, but why risk 1v1 situations against Salah and Mane? That is exactly what Liverpool wants opposing teams to do. Put a spare man in midfield, kick lumps into Salah/Mane, and maniacally close down their fullbacks. If they play through the middle and beat you so be it.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I think I might have misunderstood the cycle thing. I thought it referred to the run both teams were having this season only. Otherwise yes agreed Leicester have a very good core of youngish players for the future.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
A consistent feature of Rodgers’ tactical and personnel approach to tough Champions League games against better opposition was to choose the same attack-minded players but expect them to be defensively responsible in a more compact system. They had some fair skelpings as a result.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
You're a real pussy man, Man City are nowhere your team in terms of play, consistency and capacity to get results on a regular basis. This will be a very very easy PL title win. Stop this faux humble act now please.
No act, after yesterday's game even the scarediest of LFC fans must be convinced it might be happening. That doesn't change the fact that City, and not Leicester, were always the nearest challengers.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I think I might have misunderstood the cycle thing. I thought it referred to the run both teams were having this season only. Otherwise yes agreed Leicester have a very good core of youngish players for the future.
Oh ok mate. Technically the way you used it isn’t incorrect either, I just read it as meaning the squad cycle.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Left them open in the first half. Didn't matter in the second as we basically just camped in their end for most of the half.

Borussin

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
that seems to be a bit of a theme with him. He has his way, and he'll stick with it, and ok, you can say that's a good thing, but coaches really do need to adapt to circumstances and opposition at times. In Europe it was the same, could not or would not adapt a lot of the time, that's why I find it hard to consider him a top coach until he proves it in European competition. So we will see if he has indeed learnt next season with Leicester, it will be interesting.

Since he got that giant new contract, they have hit their first rough patch under him! And no, not saying it is linked!

Classical Mechanic

I was looking at the stats for the games yesterday and was stunned that Leicester only managed 3 shots in the game and 0 on target. I assumed that this was a negative record of some sort in the league this season, Southampton managed 6 shots in the 9-0 for example. But it turned that there was a worse showing this season (there could be others) and that was Leicester vs Liverpool in their first game season when Leicester only had 2 shots! It's amazing that he made no tactical adjustments or found a way in which to combat that absolute domination.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
part of those shots stats is a quirk of how they are done, Tielemans shot was going on target but because a defender blocked it instead of Allison saving it it doesn't count as being on target

Classical Mechanic

part of those shots stats is a quirk of how they are done, Tielemans shot was going on target but because a defender blocked it instead of Allison saving it it doesn't count as being on target
3 and 2 shots in game is incredibly low though, I don't recall seeing any other PL games with so few shots from a side, don't get me wrong there must be some but I'd wager that they're rare.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
they are probably rare, yes, I've read many Liverpool fans saying that was one of their best games, when they play like that they are unplayable, same with City last Saturday, sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and say they other team were just too good.

We could have made things better for ourselves but I don't think there was anything we could have done to change the result last night

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC
I think we're all probably still in shock, to be honest.

We've looked ropey in the past few weeks - Villa being the only convincing game - but even so, it's been embarrassing how easily we've been turned over by the two. I don't think even the most opportunistic Leicester fan would have expected a win in the last two (especially against Liverpool), and two competitive losses would have left most of us feeling optimistic. But we just didn't compete at all. It was men against boys. I thought the Man City game was the more embarrassing of the two (even though the end score-line looks more favourable) but in both games we could have easily conceded 6 or 7 and not felt hard done by. Now we clearly don't have the players of either side, but that's beside the point - far worse teams have put up a much better fight against them. Watford looked far better just the week before.

I think partly it's due to Liverpool/City both being on form, partly due to a lack of steel and physicality in our midfield (N'didi can hold his own, but Tielemans and Maddison lack bite), partly down to our poor wingers, but mostly down to tactics, and how Rodgers has set up the team. Any Leicester fan could have told you that sticking Maddison on the wing always makes us play poorly at the best of times (see: games vs. Wolves, Man United and the first Liverpool game), so how on earth did he think he was going to cope with TAA bombing down the wing. Liverpool and Celtic fans both said that Brendan doesn't know how to set up for big games, and the same thing seems to be showing.

So a good season still, but a grim few weeks for Leicester fans. Shows just how far the team (and manager) still have to go.
Hit nail on the head.

The issue is not that we lost, but in how we lost. Some of us don't like the manner we lost, and have been accused of been "entitled" by certain sections of the fans who think its wrong to throw criticism just because we in second place.

If that was a game where the team names were anonymous and no one knew our league positions, you would think we were relegation fodder the way we played or even a lower league team.

Even one game later Wolves managed to turn over Manchester City. and I think we were Liverpool's easiest away game of the season.

I think part of the issue was both teams raised their game expecting us to be a tougher challenge, that's a reasonable assumption to make. The other part is simply that Rodgers got it horribly wrong. We had players out of position, a player who wasn't fit to play yet started "and" out of position. We did not press. Passes went astray probably because of nerves. Our entire midfield was missing, leaving defenders and striker isolated.

Part of this was is our team is young, and young players are more affected mentally. We probably should have started Fuchs in the Liverpool game, as well as Hamza for more bite in midfield, and Albrighton instead of Barnes. We also should have pressed high up the pitch and not defended so deep. Will Rodgers learn from this remains to be seen, but it's the reason he is not considered a top draw manager, and is the level below that.

The task at hand now is to come back from it and start winning again, this is a test for the Manager if he can get us firing again after two shocking games. If we want top 4 we need to get right back on it straight away. Even the draw against Norwich means we now need to beat either Spurs or Chelsea to stay on track for 72+ points.

I fear we may collapse due to confidence been shattered but hopefully we overcome it. It is still an excellent season for us at this point, second in the league at Christmas and in a semi final.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Rodgers is a great manager but he has a tendency to self sabotage, in bigger games he feels the need to tweak things to make the side seem more solid but it often has a detrimental effect. His teams are at their best when they go all in and commit to their way of playing, that’s what gets them results.

I remember at Liverpool sometimes he’d throw in an extra defensive midfielder or play someone out of position and it would end up not only stifling the attack and making us a non entity going forward but we’d still be just as vulnerable the other way.

He’s a little bizarre in the sense that he has a great system that can maximise the strengths of his players especially ones with certain characteristics, but he’ll sometimes use players completely unsuited to it, it can feel like he doesn’t know himself which players are the best fit unless he stumbles on to it by accident. I don’t think the latter point has been a problem for Leicester thus far, but it was certainly the case at Liverpool. He has a far better backline than he ever had with us, pereira chilwell Evans and soyuncu are all players very well suited to his brand of football, with us he’d pick Johnson and Skrtel constantly who by the time his reign was in its latter stages were the complete antithesis of the types of defenders his system needed.

The litmus test for Leicester will be next year in Europe and how he manages a European campaign, it’ll be interesting to see if he’s learned any lessons as he was pretty bad at juggling two comps with us. The good news is you guys seem to have an extremely competent scouting department so you should be fine as long as he isn’t the one primarily signing players. It’s a really interesting project, how he does over the next few seasons will show if he can make it from a very good coach to a truly elite one.

soulfox63

Great result for Leicester City B tonight. Maybe Brendan should have played them on Boxing Day, might have faired better than the A team.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
It's going to be interesting as 22 year old Hamza Choudhury will now fill his spot for the next 5/6 games. Big shoes to fill but a real opportunity to impress.

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC
Hamza has performed well when playing but Ndidi for sure is going to be a big miss.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We struggled when Martial, Rashford & Pogba got injured.

Not surprised really with this one. If your main man like Vardy doesn't perform or get injured then they will start to struggle.

cyberman

A lot of teams in the bottom half, during this run we’ve played the likes of City, Liverpool and Chelsea
12 points from 12, you hardly played them 4 times each.
Everton
Arsenal
Spurs
Sheff Utd
United
Are all in your run and all hot on your heels.
Thats a nightmare in your current form.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
A lot of teams in the bottom half, during this run we’ve played the likes of City, Liverpool and Chelsea
Oh please in this run of 12 games you've played West Ham twice, Norwich twice, Southampton, Burnley let's not make it sound like you've had a hard run