Leon Bailey

pascell

How much do you guys think he will cost? I'm sure he won't cost as much as Pulisic
But if we are going for a young winger, I can see us going for Pulisic, marketing potential, American and all that but I agree this guy looks fecking awesome.
I don't remember the source but I remember reading that he is a united supporter
If you ask me, we have place in the squad for one young winger and I would take him over Malcom, Pulisic or Justin Kluivert
Iirc we were linked with him when he signed for Leverkusen and it was €20m I think. I think he'll go for around €50m with add ons in today's market. Pulisic would be double that considering what Dembele went for.

Hard to say who has the higher ceiling as Bailey has been consistent but a year older than Pulisic. It'd be interesting to see whether Bailey can build on it next season, or if defenders find him out so to speak. The problem would be if he does build on it then he'll cost a lot more.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
A way better than Pulisic.

Bailey - 10 Scorer (6 goals, 4 assists) in 967 minutes.
Pulisic - 4 Scorer (3 goals, 1 assist) in 1278 minutes.

He is the real deal but has a contract until 2022.
Bailey said his dream is "to play in the PL one day".
At this age these stats aren't very important. Natural talent and potential are the crucial aspects to consider.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That's not where I was going with my comment, Jose likes to buy established known quantities. Has he ever spent big money on a young player with potential?
Pogba? Lukaku?

Yes OK they aren't 17/18 but he would have bought Mbappe if he had the chance. Jose just likes good players, doesn't matter how old they are.

It's just usually players at their best are 26+

Utdstar01

Bayer Leverkusen revelation Leon Bailey qualifies for England and could be shock call-up for 2018 World Cup

EXCLUSIVE: The Manchester United and Liverpool target is eligible to play for the Three Lions through two of his grand-parents

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/bayer-leverkusen-leon-bailey-england-12042341
Says they're British passport holders but does it not require them to have been born in England for him to be eligible? Not sure on this...

Nick7

Acole9

Outstanding
The thing I'm most surprised about is that he hasn't made a senior appearance for Jamaica yet. How have they not called him up?! Or is he waiting for something better to come along.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
The thing I'm most surprised about is that he hasn't made a senior appearance for Jamaica yet. How have they not called him up?! Or is he waiting for something better to come along.
He´s basically told them that they are too shite and amateurish for him to travel that far all the time. He offered his services/passport allegiance to the highest bidder already. Seems England holds the easiest pathway, if the reports are true.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Would be pissed if Germany helps him develop into a great player and he ends up playing for England even if he's never played football there :lol:

Classical Mechanic

He has two English grandparents from what I've read. You only need one.
Were they UK residents or just UK passport holders because they were born before Jamaican independence? If its the latter the link would be tenuous as to him playing for England. And with all the top prospects coming through in his position, it would be a little bit controversial to bring him in I think.

That said, we need another decent wide player right now. Sterling and Rashford isn't good enough as a sum total of our options. Shame we bodged the Zaha situation.

Last edited:

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Were they UK residents or just UK passport holders because they were born before Jamaican independence? If its the latter the link would be tenuous as to him playing for England. And with all the top prospects coming through in his position, it would be a little bit controversial to bring him in I think.
Jamaican independence was 1962. Depends if his grandparents are over 56!

T
here's been a few paper reports saying he is eligible to England, it's not beyond the realm of possiblity that they could be wrong!

Lyricist

That would be a smart move by the English national team but an absolute joke in regards to how it's supposed to work.

duffer

Scout
That would be a smart move by the English national team but an absolute joke in regards to how it's supposed to work.
Other nations have been nicking players better than those they have actually produced using the grandparents rule for years. Not sure why this would be any more of a joke.

Classical Mechanic

T
here's been a few paper reports saying he is eligible to England, it's not beyond the realm of possiblity that they could be wrong!
It's also very possible that his grandparents were born or live(d) in the UK as many Jamaicans do.

Other nations have been nicking players better than those they have actually produced using the grandparents rule for years. Not sure why this would be any more of a joke.
Spain do it and so do Germany I believe.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
He has two English grandparents from what I've read. You only need one.

That said, we need another decent wide player right now. Sterling and Rashford isn't good enough as a sum total of our options. Shame we bodged the Zaha situation.

T
Not exactly. The need to be born on English territory. So, being born on Jamaica probably isn't enough for his grandparents even if it was English *at the time*

duffer

Scout
It's also very possible that his grandparents were born or live(d) in the UK as many Jamaicans do.
For the purposes of this issue, if they were born in the UK then that's enough for him to be eligible. Where they lived is kinda irrelevant.

Were they born in the UK? Was Jamaica considered part of the UK when they were born? If the answer to either of those is yes then he's eligible (per the current rules).

Lyricist

Spain do it and so do Germany I believe.
I think the one time that Germany did this was Paulo Rink in 1998 who had a German born grandfather.
Then there is the case of Cacau who lived in Germany for so long and felt so at home that he applied for the German immigration forms etc before he was ever in the debate for playing for the German national team. At the time he played for Germany he had already lived in Germany for 9 years straight. Now, 9 years later, after the end of his career, he still lives in Germany.

Bailey on the other hand has neither lived in England, nor were any of his relatives born in England as far as we know. He supposedly had 2 grandparents who had british passports due to colonialism but not because they actually lived in the UK. During his life he's lived in Jamaica, Slovakia, Belgium, Austria, and Germany. Yet he's being talked about as a possible world cup player for England? I think it's really stretching what should be considered fair game within the rulings surrounding national team eligibility.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
It's very possible two of his grandparents were born here given the first wave of Caribbean immigration in the 50s & 60s.
True. But the question I'm asking myself is: if that was the case, why hasn't he gone that way already? If he has such a clear path, why is he even still talking about playing for Belgium or Germany after 5 years of living there. So there's reasonable doubt.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
I think the one time that Germany did this was Paulo Rink in 1998 who had a German born grandfather.
Then there is the case of Cacau who lived in Germany for so long and felt so at home that he applied for the German immigration forms etc before he was ever in the debate for playing for the German national team. At the time he played for Germany he had already lived in Germany for 9 years straight. Now, 9 years later, after the end of his career, he still lives in Germany.
Sean Dundee also took German citizenhsip with the intent to become a full-timer, but he only made it as far as one Germany B team appearance. Those early 2000s were truly desperate times. :(

Cacau is also the current head of integration for the German football federation DFB.

Classical Mechanic

True. But the question I'm asking myself is: if that was the case, why hasn't he gone that way already? If he has such a clear path, why is he even still talking about playing for Belgium or Germany after 5 years of living there. So there's reasonable doubt.
It’s rumour at the moment so we will have to wait and see.

Bailey on the other hand has neither lived in England, nor were any of his relatives born in England as far as we know. He supposedly had 2 grandparents who had british passports due to colonialism but not because they actually lived in the UK. During his life he's lived in Jamaica, Slovakia, Belgium, Austria, and Germany. Yet he's being talked about as a possible world cup player for England? I think it's really stretching what should be considered fair game within the rulings surrounding national team eligibility.
There is a tradition of Jamaicans playing for England and some cultural links between the countries (Queen is head of state there etc). Raheem Sterling was born in Jamaica.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
There was a big write up on Reddit a month back on the topic by a Jamaican who claimed to know all about Bailey and he says he isn't eligible for England. His adopted father / agent is using all these countries saying he can play for them to get money from the Jamaican FA. I'd be staying away from him purely because of the father.

Mainoldo

If you are Jamaican and live in the UK. I’m sure it’s not a surprise this is a possibility. I’m sure he’ll have family all over the UK not just grandparents. However my guess is one of his grandparents have a UK passport.

Minkaro

There was a big write up on Reddit a month back on the topic by a Jamaican who claimed to know all about Bailey and he says he isn't eligible for England. His adopted father / agent is using all these countries saying he can play for them to get money from the Jamaican FA. I'd be staying away from him purely because of the father.
I just did a quick search on Reddit, and found this post on a Jamaican football forum: http://www.thereggaeboyz.com/forum/...flat/Number/354073/page/1/fpart/96#Post380112

It might not be exactly the post you were referring to, but it probably covers a lot of the same ground.

Classical Mechanic

I just did a quick search on Reddit, and found this post on a Jamaican football forum: http://www.thereggaeboyz.com/forum/...flat/Number/354073/page/1/fpart/96#Post380112

It might not be exactly the post you were referring to, but it probably covers a lot of the same ground.
It all depends on if this source really knows his family heritage. It does seem like his agent is playing silly buggers though.

limerickcitykid

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Lot of bullshit in there. What he's saying about the grandparents clause is 100% wrong for example.

"If one of your FOUR grandparents or TWO parents is not English born, you WILL NOT QUALIFY FOR ENGLAND BY ANCESTRY."
This is just bullshit. You just need one grandparent or parent.

limerickcitykid

Lot of bullshit in there. What he's saying about the grandparents clause is 100% wrong for example.

"If one of your FOUR grandparents or TWO parents is not English born, you WILL NOT QUALIFY FOR ENGLAND BY ANCESTRY."
This is just bullshit. You just need one grandparent or parent.
That's what he says. He just doesn't word it very good. He is saying 1 of your 4 grandparents or 1 of your 2 parents, which is true. So of the 6 of them 1 needs to be.

Literally a sentence before he words it a lot better.
"Bailey was not born in the UK, and therefore could only qualify for England by virtue of having an English-born parent or and English-born grandparent."

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Aside from Pulisic being the obvious talent we should go for in the Bundesliga, that Amine Harit kid also looks more impressive than Bailey

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
That's what he says. He just doesn't word it very good. He is saying 1 of your 4 grandparents or 1 of your 2 parents, which is true. So of the 6 of them 1 needs to be.

Literally a sentence before he words it a lot better.
"Bailey was not born in the UK, and therefore could only qualify for England by virtue of having an English-born parent or and English-born grandparent."
it's not, what twisted logic are you applying here?