Not open for further replies.

Craig Ward

Any other credible links?

Wont be surprised if he goes Barca, but would have liked us to try at least

True story

Semiarty

Supports
FC Barcelona
Keep in mind guys that today is "April's fool" day in Spain. So any news coming from Spain today may be a joke.

perspective

Supports
Bayern München
Some muppets need to be more skeptical. This is obviously not true.

cyberman

This story seems a bit dickish if it is a fools windup.
Its plain and realistic and a bit too on the nose for it to be funny.

beingshe7don

I think United need to act quickly for this guy if he hasn't already signed for Bayern. Barcelona will probably get Coutinho and could possibly even get Griezmann considering United seem to be out of the running for him. That doesn't leave much space for Goretzka to feature in the starting line-up.

Devil may care

Even with it being an Spanish Fools joke the use of Bayern in the tweet probably means that is where he's going, it's the most likely scenario for a top young German talent.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
BILD today reports a strong push for him from Klopp, and since they've just now even quickly mustered their sports editor-in-chief to write an opinion piece admonishing Goretzka to think long and hard, as a 'decision for Liverpool would mean a decision against major trophies within the foreseeable future', that 'one is only a major player if one has major trophies', and that 'Liverpool surely would go out of CL against Bayern', I have to assume that the threat of him turning down Bayern for Liverpool is serious.

http://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/m...tzka-jetzt-bedenken-sollte-54323188.bild.html

Last edited:

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
BILD today reports a strong push for him from Klopp, and since they've just now even quickly mustered their sports editor-in-chief to write an opinion piece admonishing Goretzka to think long and hard, as a 'decision for Liverpool would mean a decision against major trophies within the foreseeable future', and that 'Liverpool surely would go out of CL against Bayern', I have to assume that the threat of him turning down Bayern for Liverpool is serious.

http://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/m...tzka-jetzt-bedenken-sollte-54323188.bild.html
Liverpool meaning business.

GK

Defence
Keïta
Goretzka Lemar
Salah Firmino Mané​

Is a mean front six.

Devil may care

GK

Defence
Keïta
Goretzka Lemar
Salah Firmino Mané​

Is a mean front six.
I think Lemar would be in the front 3 with Keita as a box to box along with Goretzka, not sure who their holder would be though as Can is likely off and Henderson isn't good enough.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München

GK

Defence
Keïta
Goretzka Lemar
Salah Firmino Mané​

Is a mean front six.
Keita makes no sense as a deep lying player though. That's what's strange about the Goretzka interest. Too many similar players, or at least players occupying similar spaces. Wijnaldum, Keita, Lallana, Ox, and then Goretzka? Meanwhile Henderson ...

zonaldefending

Liverpool Fan

GK

Defence
Keïta
Goretzka Lemar
Salah Firmino Mané​

Is a mean front six.
Keita is most definitely not a defensive midfielder. Playing him at the base of the midfield completely takes away everything that he excels at.

Damien

Staff
I think Lemar would be in the front 3 with Keita as a box to box along with Goretzka, not sure who their holder would be though as Can is likely off and Henderson isn't good enough.
Keita makes no sense as a deep lying player though. That's what's strange about the Goretzka interest. Too many similar players, or at least players occupying similar spaces. Wijnaldum, Keita, Lallana, Ox, and then Goretzka? Meanwhile Henderson ...
Yeah, I know he's not a defensive midfielder but like you say they're all similar players and can't see where they'd all fit. Maybe 4231 with both Keita and Goretzka sharing some of the defensive responsibilities? There's some reason Goretzka continues to be linked and no defensive midfielder. Either way, the three of them would be an upgrade on Wijnaldum and Henderson.

Who do you think Lemar would replace in the front three Dmc?

beingshe7don

Yeah, I know he's not a defensive midfielder but like you say they're all similar players and can't see where they'd all fit. Maybe 4231 with both Keita and Goretzka sharing some of the defensive responsibilities? There's some reason Goretzka continues to be linked and no defensive midfielder. Either way, the three of them would be an upgrade on Wijnaldum and Henderson.

They just spent 75m on Van Dijk. I doubt they'll spend 90 odd on Lemar. Goretzka would be replacement for Can and Coutinho if they are interested. Would love Goretzka to come to United though.

Devil may care

Goretzka and Keita does seem like overkill but could also be very dynamic if they get a holder as well, I'm not sure they are cut out to be a partnership as they are too similar. My guess is that if they get Goretzka they will probably move more to a 4-3-3 and perhaps Lemar wont be bought.

If he is bought though I think Lemar would compete with Mane for the left, Salah is undroppable for them and I can't see Lemar or Mane in the central role Firmino plays.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
They just spent 75m on Van Dijk. I doubt they'll spend 90 odd on Lemar.
Well Lemar in that scenario would be the Coutinho replacement. Coutinho surely will be 100m+, so there would be surplus even if they pay another silly price for Lemar. We need to keep in mind that prior to the undoubtedly baffling 75m for VVD, with Matip, Klavan, and the Sakho sale Klopp's investment into his central defense was -25m..

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Have I missed something re Liverpool and Lemar? He’s a player I’d love here, think he can have a similar impact to Coutinho for us.

Damien

Staff
They just spent 75m on Van Dijk. I doubt they'll spend 90 odd on Lemar. Goretzka would be replacement for Can and Coutinho if they are interested. Would love Goretzka to come to United though.
They would if they're selling Coutinho. Lemar is more fitting for the Coutinho replacement than Goretzka.

Goretzka and Keita does seem like overkill but could also be very dynamic if they get a holder as well, I'm not sure they are cut out to be a partnership as they are too similar. My guess is that if they get Goretzka they will probably move more to a 4-3-3 and perhaps Lemar wont be bought.

If he is bought though I think Lemar would compete with Mane for the left, Salah is undroppable for them and I can't see Lemar or Mane in the central role Firmino plays.
Yeah that is what I was thinking. Decent point about the competition with Mané - we've seen Coutinho at times play instead of Mané and also at number 10 with the others around him so maybe that could be the case with Lemar too.

Have I missed something re Liverpool and Lemar? He’s a player I’d love here, think he can have a similar impact to Coutinho for us.
He's been linked to them constantly since last summer but Monaco were pretty firm that they weren't going to sell at the time. The Monaco VP has also said this:

“It is difficult to keep them (star players)” he said, “of course Monaco is a great club and it’s an historic club in France (with) amazing success but we cannot compare ourselves with the likes of Real Madrid or (the) Manchesters, United or City. We are not in the same league.”

“So we understand that at a certain stage, the players want – once they get offers – to play at big clubs, they want to play in front of big clubs and we have to let them go at the right time.”

“(But) When is the right time? This is the tricky point.”
So sounds like he'll be gone at the end of the season.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He's been linked to them constantly since last summer but Monaco were pretty firm that they weren't going to sell at the time. The Monaco VP has also said this:

So sounds like he'll be gone at the end of the season.
Yea I’m aware of all that, but he had been linked to all the top clubs from what I was aware. The way people were talking, I thought Liverpool has made a breakthrough or something.

Devil may care

Yeah that is what I was thinking. Decent point about the competition with Mané - we've seen Coutinho at times play instead of Mané and also at number 10 with the others around him so maybe that could be the case with Lemar too.
That would offer Klopp great flexibility and depth, the latter being important when you look at City with players like Bernardo and Gundogan sitting on the bench fighting to get games.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
I doubt they get Goretzka or Lemar. Isn't Goretzka all but done to Bayern anyway?
Obviously it isn't. Goretzka is a smart guy, he can choose the club of his liking, and pretty much dictate his wage demands as a free agent.
Still, I have my doubts about Liverpool being the top contender to land him. From a legal standpoint he's free to sign any contract from Jan, 1st on. There's zero reason for a pre-contract agreement, if he had made his mind up for Liverpool already. So if I were to guess, this is probably negotiation tactics to up the pressure on those clubs who he might want to join for real.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Obviously it isn't. Goretzka is a smart guy, he can choose the club of his liking, and pretty much dictate his wage demands as a free agent.
Still, I have my doubts about Liverpool being the top contender to land him. From a legal standpoint he's free to sign any contract from Jan, 1st on. There's zero reason for a pre-contract agreement, if he had made his mind up for Liverpool already. So if I were to guess, this is probably negotiation tactics to up the pressure on those clubs who he might want to join for real.
He's already said he wants it settled in January. That's reason enough.

ovoxo

I’d be very disappointed if Goretzka went to Liverpool. He’s a perfect addition for us. I think he’d suit us more than a Savic style midfielder. I feel Goretzka is more of a B2B whilst Savic an AM.

Status
Not open for further replies.