Leon Goretzka | Bayern player in the summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Mueller is a fake top player, so they might want a real one.
And play him on the wing in the Robben/Ribery role? Or swith to a 442 with Thiago, Martinez, Coman and James in midfield? Please feel free to make a starting XI work, I just don‘t see it.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
And play him on the wing in the Robben/Ribery role? Or swith to a 442 with Thiago, Martinez, Coman and James in midfield? Please feel free to make a starting XI work, I just don‘t see it.
Why on earth would I suggest playing him on the wing, when I offered a direct response to you saying ‘they have Mueller and James’ by saying he’s better than Mueller. Of course, my suggestion is he plays where Mueller plays, but instead of him, because he’s rubbish.

beingshe7don

Wait... what?! I mean I see potential and for free you take him (agent fee + wages will not be too high), but that he will definitely be better than Kroos - who is one of the best midfielders in the world (and a completely different player I might add) - is either wishful thinking or muppet mode.
He's more dynamic than Kroos and it's MY OPINION that he will be better than Kroos in future. Judging both players at the same age, Goretzka is ahead and is progressing fairly well and a move to a big club would make him even better. It's not wishful thinking or muppet mode.... it plain old statistics.

Thisistheone

He's more dynamic than Kroos and it's MY OPINION that he will be better than Kroos in future. Judging both players at the same age, Goretzka is ahead and is progressing fairly well and a move to a big club would make him even better. It's not wishful thinking or muppet mode.... it plain old statistics.
Thats a bold prediction though. Kroos is one of the best midfielders of his generation with a World Cup win and 3 CL wins while only 6 years older than Goretzka.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
That's an extremely bold statement to make. And as someone who has been watching both players develop for their entire careers, I completely disagree. Kroos was always special, very special. Even at that age and even more so than Goretzka. Which doesn't take anything away from the amazing prospect that is Goretzka. But Kroos might be the best midfielder in the world right now, is extremely consistent and might be on his way to become the most succesful German player ever.

izec

Kroos is better now and when Goretzka gets older, Kroos will have the better career. Goretzka is great though, still a long way to go

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
That's insane. Goretzka will be 23 in a few weeks. At that age, Kroos was a regular starter and key player in Heynckes' Bayern side keeping Robben out of the team during the treble season (until Kroos got injured and missed the last 2 months of the season). Performances like Kroos in the CL semifinal against Real in 2012 when he was easily the best midfielder on the pitch are far far above anything we've seen from Goretzka.

Jaybomb

He suits Bayern more than United anyway.

Not every good player is suited to the style and traditions of our club. Someone like Vidal or Nainggolan would suit us and Mourinho much more than the likes of Goretzka or Savic. We should be going for them instead.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
He's about as good as Kroos was at Leverkusen, come on. At 22-23 TK was a top 10 midfielder in the world, while Goretzka is still thought of as a "talent".

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
He suits Bayern more than United anyway.

Not every good player is suited to the style and traditions of our club. Someone like Vidal or Nainggolan would suit us and Mourinho much more than the likes of Goretzka or Savic. We should be going for them instead.
I‘m pretty sure Vidal is available, if(!) Bayern signs Goretzka. Something like 50m will easily do it. :wenger:

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Why on earth would I suggest playing him on the wing, when I offered a direct response to you saying ‘they have Mueller and James’ by saying he’s better than Mueller. Of course, my suggestion is he plays where Mueller plays, but instead of him, because he’s rubbish.
Okay, Griezman in the Müller role is a possibility.
But i) Müller is not „rubbish“ and ii) Bayern will not spend EUR100m on a player with similar output to him in order to bench a club legend.

black_crow

He's about as good as Kroos was at Leverkusen, come on. At 22-23 TK was a top 10 midfielder in the world, while Goretzka is still thought of as a "talent".
Goretzka is better than Kroos was with 23-24 years.

Kroos had only 2 goals and 4 assists in 29 Bundesliga games (in 2013/2014).
That's why Bayern sold him to Real Madrid. They thought he is not worth it, but Kroos improved.

He is right, Goretzka is a way more dynamic. People in Munich blamed Kroos for being lazy.
Even the Daily Mail wrote that people called him lazy. He was a hit or miss:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-Jupp-Heynckes-Bayern-not-Louis-van-Gaal.html

You can't compare Kroos and Goretzka. Goretzka is an explosive player and is more dangerous.

Kroos is a great player too, not very dangerous, but with an excellent passing game.
I hope that Kroos finds his form for the World Cup in Russia.

Last edited:

izec

That's why Bayern sold him to Real Madrid. They thought he is not worth it, but Kroos improved.

He is right, Goretzka is a way more dynamic. People in Munich blamed Kroos for being lazy.
You can't compare Kroos and Goretzka. Goretzka is an explosive player and is more dangerous.

Kroos is a great player too, not very dangerous, but with an excellent passing game.
Meh, Kroos is not defined through goal output. They arent comparable per se, different players, but Kroos at Bayern was better than Goretzka now.

Bayern didnt sell him because of his performances, he had a year left on his contract and wanted to move on due to not being able to agree a new contract (Bayern didnt want to pay him as much as he wanted and he didnt feel appreciated)

black_crow

Meh, Kroos is not defined through goal output. They arent comparable per se, different players, but Kroos at Bayern was better than Goretzka now.

Bayern didnt sell him because of his performances, he had a year left on his contract and wanted to move on due to not being able to agree a new contract (Bayern didnt want to pay him as much as he wanted and he didnt feel appreciated)
No, you are wrong.

He didn't want to leave but he didn't feel the trust. Rummenigge thought he is not good enough.
German media reported that and his best friend confirmed it in 2017.

Bayern Munich CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge told Toni: "We won't pay you more than €10 million a year because you're not a world-class player."

https://www.si.com/soccer/2017/09/1...eason-behind-ex-bayern-stars-real-madrid-move

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich

Even the Daily Mail wrote that people called him lazy. He was a hit or miss:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-Jupp-Heynckes-Bayern-not-Louis-van-Gaal.html

You judge Kroos on goal and assist numbers and quote the Daily Mail. Okay.... I‘m oughta here.

Murray3007

You judge Kroos on goal and assist numbers and quote the Daily Mail. Okay.... I‘m oughta here.
In fairness Kroos at that age did play as a number 10 rather then CM and should have produced much larger numbers in a bayern team. however Goretzka has always been a more box to box for me where as Kroos always looked more a playmaker, bit of a weird comparision

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
In fairness Kroos at that age did play as a number 10 rather then CM and should have produced much larger numbers in a bayern team. however Goretzka has always been a more box to box for me where as Kroos always looked more a playmaker, bit of a weird comparision
Yeah, it‘s completely apples and oranges. Bayern basically had to play Kroos at the #10 since Martinez and Schweinsteiger were ace behind him. In hindsight they played him out of position.
But back to Goretzka. ;)
I expect him to go to Bayern and I expect Vidal to leave.

beingshe7don

After the Sanchez deal, we should go guns blazing in for Goretzka. If we need Pogba to break free, I think Goretzka is the man for his dynamicism. He's defends, technically good and makes runs into the penalty box to score goals as well. He can replace Pogba when suspended or being rested or injured.

Goretzka (free) --> United really need too get this guy... Fine, we don't know if he'll be better than Kroos but I think he would be perfect to play with Pogba and Matic in a midfield 3
Ozil (free) --> For his value, can't get a better No. 10 for free.
Fabinho for RB --> He can provide cover in midfield as well

That would offer us depth

Formation 1
--- Martial ---- Lukaku --- Sanchez ---
----- Pogba ------------- Goretzka ----
-------------- Matic ---------------------
-- Shaw -- Jones -- Bailly -- Valencia --

Formation 2
------------ Lukaku -------------
-- Martial --- Ozil --- Sanchez -
-------- Pogba----- Matic ------

Formation 3
------ Sanchez ----- Lukaku -------
Shaw - Pogba --- Goretzka --- Ozil --- Valencia ---
----- Rojo ---- Jones ---- Bailly ------------------

L1nk

After the Sanchez deal, we should go guns blazing in for Goretzka. If we need Pogba to break free, I think Goretzka is the man for his dynamicism. He's defends, technically good and makes runs into the penalty box to score goals as well. He can replace Pogba when suspended or being rested or injured.

Goretzka (free) --> United really need too get this guy... Fine, we don't know if he'll be better than Kroos but I think he would be perfect to play with Pogba and Matic in a midfield 3
Ozil (free) --> For his value, can't get a better No. 10 for free.
Fabinho for RB --> He can provide cover in midfield as well

That would offer us depth

Formation 1
--- Martial ---- Lukaku --- Sanchez ---
----- Pogba ------------- Goretzka ----
-------------- Matic ---------------------

Formation 2
------------ Lukaku -------------
-- Martial --- Ozil --- Sanchez -
-------- Pogba----- Matic ------

Formation 3
------ Sanchez ----- Lukaku -------
Shaw - Pogba --- Goretzka --- Ozil --- Valencia ---
----- Rojo ---- Jones ---- Bailly ------------------
Whilst Goretzka would probably serve to be that perfect 3rd midfield signing we are after, i'm afraid its almost 99% certain he is Bayern bound at this point, so it's all kind of moot. Of course, i'd be more than happy to be surprised..

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
@black_crow talked about 13/14. In 13/14 Kroos played as a deep lying playmaker. There was plenty of discussion about how Guardiola used him in comparison to Heynckes. Under Heynckes Kroos was played as a clear number 10, under Guardiola Kroos at times dropped between the two centerbacks and was rarely seen further forward.

Yeah, it‘s completely apples and oranges. Bayern basically had to play Kroos at the #10 since Martinez and Schweinsteiger were ace behind him. In hindsight they played him out of position.
But back to Goretzka. ;)
I expect him to go to Bayern and I expect Vidal to leave.
He was talking about 13/14. Schweinsteiger was mostly injured and Martinez missed half the season as well and if he was fit, he played as a centerback.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
It's hilarious to suggest Goretzka is as good/better than Kroos at a similar age. He's barely at the level of Kroos at Leverkusen (when he was 19), Kroos was magnificent during that loan spell.

Kroos is one of the best midfielders in the world and it was clear he was going to be at that level from a very early age. I would be very surprised if Goretzka reaches a similar level, hell even if it's a level below he would still be a fantastic player for Germany.

It would be better not to hold him to the high standards of Kroos, Khedira would be a similar comparison since they play very similar roles (maybe you can argue Khedira is more defensive). Khedira has been a fantastic servant for Germany and his clubs over the last 10 years and Goretzka would do well to emulate that.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
That was Kroos in 2014 against United:

https://spielverlagerung.de/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/bayern-Man Utd.png

Under Heynckes:

How anyone is surprised that his number of goals and assists went down under Guardiola is beyond me.

Again, Kroos was an established world class player at 23, who started regularly for an elite team and played a key role in a treble and went on to perform brillantly in a world cup win a year later. Goretzka has a lot of catching up to do to be compared to Kroos.

black_crow

It's hilarious to suggest Goretzka is as good/better than Kroos at a similar age. He's barely at the level of Kroos at Leverkusen (when he was 19), Kroos was magnificent during that loan spell.
I saw both players more than 50 times over 90 minutes. Kroos wasn't as good as Goretzka with 22 and I think Goretzka has more potential.

Like I said, Kroos was a very average player at Bayern. That's why they didn't offer him the same salary as Götze.
While Guardiola was sold on him, those in power at the Allianz Arena weren’t. Rummenigge didn't value him enough and told him that. Bayern won the Champions League Final without Kroos, the 7:0 (two games) against Barcelona without Kroos, the 1/4 Final against Juventus without Kroos.

That's why Bayern allowed him to leave for a meager £20 million. I think they did a huge mistake because Kroos got better under Guardiola.
He wasn't world class but he was on a good way. Bayern did regret it later on.

Anyway, Kroos isn't as good as he was in 2017/2018. Goretzka is the future and Bayern got him for free.

Imagine a centerfield with:

..... Rodriguez .....

Thiago ..... Goretzka

..... Martinez .....

Their bench with stars like Vidal and Tolisso.

They will probably get Julian Brandt for the wings. They say Brandt has a buy-out clause of 12,5 million Euro (summer 2018). Gnabry and Coman will fight for the other position. Those Bayern deals are just insane because all those young Germans want to play for them.

Rummenigge said they are ready to spend 100 million for a player but I don't think they need to.

Last edited:

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Imagine a centerfield with:

..... Rodriguez .....

Thiago ..... Goretzka

..... Martinez .....

Their bench with stars like Vidal and Tolisso.

They will probably get Julian Brandt for the wings. They say Brandt has a buy-out clause of 12,5 million Euro (summer 2018). Gnabry and Coman will fight for the other position.
Mate, they won‘t be allowed to play with 12 players, since I don’t assume they’ll be selling Lewandowski. ;)
Also: Tolisso is not (yet?) a star and I just don’t see Brandt and Gnabry being good enoug for them.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
I saw both players more than 50 times over 90 minutes. Kroos wasn't as good as Goretzka with 22 and I think Goretzka has more potential.
Kroos already carried our entire midfield during the 11/12 season, where BS missed the first 2/3s due to injuries. He absolutely dominated the midfield in the Semis against Real. How anyone can say he was average is beyond me.
And no, Goretzka while a great prospect certainly doesn't have more potential. Kroos is the best midfielder we have produced since Schuster/Matthäus.

That's why they didn't offer him the same salary as Götze.
While Guardiola was sold on him, those in power at the Allianz Arena weren’t. Rummenigge didn't value him enough and told him that.
The calculus of our board was that he would finally cave in to their lowballing attempts. They wanted to keep their wage structure low, and as a "homegrown" player Kroos was supposed to be the perfect target. That, and the fact that they all fell for the Götze hype.
It backfired in spectacular fashion.

Bayern won the Champions League Final without Kroos, the 7:0 (two games) against Barcelona without Kroos, the 1/4 Final against Juventus without Kroos.
Yes, because we had a lot of other class players peaking at the time. I fail to see how that should diminish Kroos.

He wasn't world class but he was on a good way. Bayern did regret it later on.
He's been one the best CMs worldwide since 2011

So whats the consensus on this guy? A future world class player?
He definitely has the potential, yes.

black_crow

Mate, they won‘t be allowed to play with 12 players, since I don’t assume they’ll be selling Lewandowski. ;)
Also: Tolisso is not (yet?) a star and I just don’t see Brandt and Gnabry being good enoug for them.
They don't need to play 12 players.

Tuchel might be their new coach and he played more than once with three centre-backs or with a system that switched to a 5-4-1.
Goretzka will make it into any team, but he needs to stay healthy. He missed 27 games in 2014/2015 and he missed half of the games in 2017/2018.

I won't reply to the Goretzka-Kroos thing anymore. They are different types and Leon is the future.

Experts believe that Goretzka will sign with Bayern within a matter of days now. I guess he is ready for his medical.
Liverpool gave up and I think we were never really tried. Goretzka on a free would have been a coup with Bayern Munich and Barcelona both wanting to sign him.

Last edited:

black_crow

While I agree with you, most ppl I know and myself as well were kind of happy when Kroos got injured, not for him personally of course, but the team functioned much better afterwards.
Just remembered my relief from back then
My wife and I felt the same. The team functioned a way better without him.
Even worse.. Kroos is totally off form in 2017/2018.

I (German-American) hope he will improve until the World Cup.
Goretzka was injured but it looks like he is back soon.

Can't believe that the USA didn't make it.

Fiery

The caf thinks you're crazy but i think you're right. I believe he will be on Toni Kroos level. It will take time but he'll get there:D he's still young and has so much potential.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
They don't need to play 12 players.

Tuchel might be their new coach and he played more than once with three centre-backs or with a system that switched to a 5-4-1.
Goretzka will make it into any team, but he needs to stay healthy. He missed 27 games in 2014/2015 and he missed half of the games in 2017/2018.

I won't reply to the Goretzka-Kroos thing anymore. They are different types and Leon is the future.

Experts believe that Goretzka will sign with Bayern within a matter of days now. I guess he is ready for his medical.
Liverpool gave up and I think we were never really tried. Goretzka on a free would have been a coup with Bayern Munich and Barcelona both wanting to sign him.
My comment regarding the 12 starters was tongue in cheek, but I still assume it would be:

Neuer
Kimmich - Boateng - Hummels - Alaba
Martinez - Goretzka/Vidal
Müller - James - Coman
Lewandowski

You mentioned adding Brandt for the wing and that would make it 12 since I wouldn‘t take any of the above out for him.

Craig Ward

Are there any credible links to this player from utd?

Seems Bayern are the favourites but I personally think we need this guy

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Schalke confirm Goretzka will be moving to Bayen Munchen.

L1nk

The German league is a joke at this point. :lol:
At this point? :lol:

Feel a bit sorry for Schalke to be honest. They are having a good season too and have a real shot of finishing 2nd in the league, be interesting to see if this derails it somewhat.

Status
Not open for further replies.