Leonardo Bonucci | All discussion here please

Status
Not open for further replies.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Delaney is nothing news.

Btws, if Mou wants then fine as Bonnucci is one of the finest nowsaday, but IMO while we need an older & experienced CB we should go for a cheaper alternatives for now. Why? It's more ideal to give our younger CBs and let them grow. Getting expensive old mean we would have to use him to the last bit of juice and restrict game time for the other CB position.
Erm....What young centre backs?

You mean Smalling, who is nearly 27 and Phil "I've a doctors note for missing training yesterday" Jones?

Bonucci, at 29, is an old man apparently

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Delaney is nothing news.

Btws, if Mou wants then fine as Bonnucci is one of the finest nowsaday, but IMO while we need an older & experienced CB we should go for a cheaper alternatives for now. Why? It's more ideal to give our younger CBs and let them grow. Getting expensive old mean we would have to use him to the last bit of juice and restrict game time for the other CB position.
Apart from Bailly who are the other CBs you want to grow? Jones?

Anyway hope the story is true. Bonucci, Smalling and Bailly would be a really good set of CBs (assuming Rojo is getting sold and Jones will be injured)

Bojan11

Delaney is nothing news.

We need a experienced defender though.

Why should we go for cheaper options? This isn't Liverpool. We need a ready made defender.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Woody making sure nobody eats but us around here :lol:

Womp

idiot
We ain't spanking 100+ million Euros and another 60-80 it will take for Bonnuci in one window. :lol:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Apart from Bailly who are the other CBs you want to grow? Jones?
Fosu-Mensah and Tuanzebe are very highly rated. I don't think anymore are likely to break out under Mourinho but RoShaun Williams is very highly rated too. Our most highest rated youth players seem to be at CB.

ti vu

Erm....What young centre backs?

You mean Smalling, who is nearly 27 and Phil "I've a doctors note for missing training yesterday" Jones?

Bonucci, at 29, is an old man apparently
Tuazenbe has potential, Bailly is pretty young, then Williams, Poole... There will always be young CBs out there we can obtain.

Smalling Bailly and a cheaper experienced CB would be enough for the rotation role, in immediate and long term. As explained Bonucci huge signing mean he mostly likely guaranteed starter into the end of his contract

Womp

idiot
60-80m on a 29 year old defender? the worlds gone mad.
He's arguably top 3 centre-backs in world football and still has 3 or so years left in him. Not to add Juve would have no intention to sell whatsoever and already pushed City's advances back.

coolredwine

lameredboots
He's arguably top 3 centre-backs in world football and still has 3 or so years left in him. Not to add Juve would have no intention to sell whatsoever and already pushed City's advances back.
Don't matter. 60-80M for a 29 year old defender is still bonkers.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Of course it is, which is why I don't think this rumour has any truth to it tbh. Think after Pogba we will get Fabinho and that will be our window done.
I imagine we'll probably sign Lozano too.

Xeno

Am I the only one comfortable with Darmian/Jones/TFM/Valencia at RB? I think we need another CB way more than an RB. Wouldn't say no to an out and out DM either. I'm just greedy though.

Bonnuci is class but doesn't solve City issue of having an ageing squad.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I feel people underestimate tactics when it comes to the performances of CBs. Terry looked finished under AVB and Rafa's tactics but, looked back in his prime once Mourinho came in. Even Godin who in my opinion has been the best CB in the World the last few years I do not think he would be a guaranteed success in all systems. I am really not sure Bonucci would guarantee to massively improve our defense.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I feel people underestimate tactics when it comes to the performances of CBs. Terry looked finished under AVB and Rafa's tactics but, looked back in his prime once Mourinho came in. Even Godin who in my opinion has been the best CB in the World the last few years I do not think he would be a guaranteed success in all systems. I am really not sure Bonucci would guarantee to massively improve our defense.
They absolutely do. Bonucci has almost exclusively played in a 3-5-2 with the same two other CBs for both club and country.

Take Miranda as a recent example. He was the hottest CB 2 years ago but is now at Inter (not bad but a step down) and is out of the limelight at only 31. Then look at Savic. Couldn't cut it at City, went to mid-to-upper table Fiorentina and did alright and is now 2nd fiddle at Atlético. Despite playing few games he still slots comfortably into the side. Every CB at that team seems to do well and that's a lot to do with how they train and how they play.

City haven't been so comfortable at the back, the PL in general isn't very forgiving on new players. They're not bad but they're no Italy or Juve at the back. Perhaps Pep's tactic will sort them out and perhaps he needs someone like Bonucci to do that. I can understand why Pep would want him. It was easier to take over Bayern because they were already comfortable pressing up high and keep possession but City, as good as they are, aren't Bayern and it will be a lot more comfortable starting out with a team that's solid at the back.

I have my doubts because I dont' see Bonucci as being the Pep type. I suspect Pep will do something different with City than what we've seen before. Maybe something a little more "boring".

Distracted Steward

Good point.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
They absolutely do. Bonucci has almost exclusively played in a 3-5-2 with the same two other CBs for both club and country.

Take Miranda as a recent example. He was the hottest CB 2 years ago but is now at Inter (not bad but a step down) and is out of the limelight at only 31. Then look at Savic. Couldn't cut it at City, went to mid-to-upper table Fiorentina and did alright and is now 2nd fiddle at Atlético. Despite playing few games he still slots comfortably into the side. Every CB at that team seems to do well and that's a lot to do with how they train and how they play.

City haven't been so comfortable at the back, the PL in general isn't very forgiving on new players. They're not bad but they're no Italy or Juve at the back. Perhaps Pep's tactic will sort them out and perhaps he needs someone like Bonucci to do that. I can understand why Pep would want him. It was easier to take over Bayern because they were already comfortable pressing up high and keep possession but City, as good as they are, aren't Bayern and it will be a lot more comfortable starting out with a team that's solid at the back.

I have my doubts because I dont' see Bonucci as being the Pep type. I suspect Pep will do something different with City than what we've seen before. Maybe something a little more "boring".
Don't disagree with your point but Miranda is an unfair example, he was easily one of the best CBs in Serie A last season, he's only out of the limelight because of the league he plays in and Inter's failure to sustain a title challenge.

Kaos

Am I the only one comfortable with Darmian/Jones/TFM/Valencia at RB? I think we need another CB way more than an RB. Wouldn't say no to an out and out DM either. I'm just greedy though.

Bonnuci is class but doesn't solve City issue of having an ageing squad.
Nope I still think Darmian could be a solid RB for us under Mourinho. We've pretty much got solid cover across the entire back 4 now that we've signed Baily and Shaw is back.

Snow

Don't disagree with your point but Miranda is an unfair example, he was easily one of the best CBs in Serie A last season, he's only out of the limelight because of the league he plays in and Inter's failure to sustain a title challenge.
The point is that the team he went to was Inter and you have to wonder why when there are many bigger clubs than that in need of a CB.

bleedred

I m pretty sure he reads stuff off this forum and writes what we want to hear. He is a nothing Journalist, Never has actual source or contacts. Don't know how he is still not on the banned journos.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
I m pretty sure he reads stuff off this forum and writes what we want to hear. He is a nothing Journalist, Never has actual source or contacts. Don't know how he is still not on the banned journos.
Well, every other journalist is banned from here and the darling of the Caf, Di Marzio, will soon be banned once he incorrectly spells a word in one of his tweets

Journalists get their information from RedCafe....This is a new one

RooneyLegend

Far from the truth, Juve has been using a diamond mostly since Allegri took over. He normally plays with Chiellini at the back in a back four and these past two seasons have been his best ones yet.

Snow

Far from the truth, Juve has been using a diamond mostly since Allegri took over. He normally plays with Chiellini at the back in a back four and these past two seasons have been his best ones yet.
Yeah, no they haven't.
Last season.
Before that it was closer to 50/50. Before Allegri they barely shied away from 3-5-2 so I'm right when I say that they've almost exclusively played that formation.

RooneyLegend

Yeah, no they haven't.
Last season.
Before that it was closer to 50/50. Before Allegri they barely shied away from 3-5-2 so I'm right when I say that they've almost exclusively played that formation.
They played most of the games in the 2014/2015 season with a diamond, and would only revert to the 3-5-2 to see out games. Last season there was more variation but all in all since Allegri has come in they've played more with 4 at the back than 5. There were times last season where he'd use Barzagli at Right back.

Yes, in the Conte days they did play a 3-5-2 exclusively but you can't say the same for the past 2 seasons.

Snow

They played most of the games in the 2014/2015 season with a diamond, and would only revert to the 3-5-2 to see out games. Last season there was more variation but all in all since Allegri has come in they've played more with 4 at the back than 5. There were times last season where he'd use Barzagli at Right back.

Yes, in the Conte days they did play a 3-5-2 exclusively but you can't say the same for the past 2 seasons.
I'd call playing 3-5-2 more than 70% of the time pretty extensive use of the formation. Add to the rest of the time before Allegri that Bonucci has been there (including his stint with the NT) and he's pretty much mostly played in that formation.

AgentP

Juventus are already robbing us blind. I hope they are even more ruthless with City.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Aye, he performed very well whenever I saw him last season and to the level we'd expect based on his Atletico performances.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Id rather see us buying Rugani then Bonucci

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Yes I'm sure he has nothing better to do with this time than randomly troll United forums to wind us up.

Hisha

Supports
OLE OLE OLE I LOVE YOU
Samuel Luckhurst of MEN reporting that we want to sign Bonucci as well. Now, this is what i have been saying for ages. If we are to win the league title this season, signing a world class CB or (at least) a young CB with enough potential and experience at the highest level is as important as signing someone like Pogba. Our defense is nothing like what most you think it is. Don't get fooled with our last season's defensive stats.

Jose & Ed, please make this happen, Bonucci is exactly what we are lacking in our defense. We sign Bonucci and Pogba, and the league is ours. And if City get's Bonucci, then they are the favorites. So, signing Bonucci is like killing 2 birds in one shot; we will get a world class defender and at the same time it will stop one of our direct rivals from signing him.

korenmanutd

I would love us to get Bonucci, but If we are really interested, can anyone see Juve selling us both of their star players in the same season? That would be suicide for the Juve board unless they sign some big star to compensate for it, but i'm not sure they'll do that. Although if City's interest is real and Juve do appear to want to sell him, then I guess why would it matter to who they sell him to?

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Not gonna happen, at least not in this transfer window.

Natener

We all want things but we can't get everything. Bonucci's one of those.

ravi2

We have about the same chance of signing Bonucci as we did Ramos last year.

Trizy

Wasn't he born in Turin? Probably a boyhood club. No chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.