Film Leonardo DiCaprio - Greatest Actor of All Time?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He’s alright but nothing special. I watched Django and never really bought him as a bad guy, which surely suggests he didn’t do a good job. Great movie, but he was among the worst bits in it.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I thought he was good in The Departed.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Matt Damon? I love Matt Damon but I mean cmon, he's not a generational talent in the slightest. :lol:

As for Leo, he's done some excellent films.

SteveJ

Scout
Matt Damon? I love Matt Damon but I mean cmon, he's not a generational talent in the slightest. :lol:
I think he has a greater acting range than appears at first glance.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Yeah I agree, I think the team America joke hit his rep, he's a great actor who's played different roles well.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I honestly can't think of one top, top performance he's put in. He's done loads of decent films but nothing exceptional and i've probably seen about 70% of his films. He's not a joke actor like Dwayne Johnson but he's not top calibre of GOAT's in my opinion.

SteveJ

Scout
Did you manage to finish the film? Or do you belong in the dustbin for losers.
I'm pretty slow to catch on, generally, mate - to my embarrassment, it was only after reading about the film that I appreciated how great it is.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I'm pretty slow to catch on, generally, mate - to my embarrassment, it was only after reading about the film that I appreciated how great it is.
I watched it when I was about 17/18 and to be honest all I remember it for is the lesbian sex scenes and the masturbation scene on the sofa. :lol:

SteveJ

Scout
I honestly can't think of one top, top performance he's put in. He's done loads of decent films but nothing exceptional and i've probably seen about 70% of his films. He's not a joke actor like Dwayne Johnson but he's not top calibre of GOAT's in my opinion.
I could say the same for Leo but, like Matt's films, I still enjoy his movies.

SteveJ

Scout
I watched it when I was about 17/18 and to be honest all I remember it for is the lesbian sex scenes and the masturbation scene on the sofa. :lol:
:lol:

Cait Sith

As for Leo, he's done some excellent films.
The only difference between the 2 is that DiCaprio almost exclusively plays in "The Marsian" type of blockbusters IMO.

When they both played together in Departed I actually could barely tell apart who was who.

Kag

He’s alright but nothing special. I watched Django and never really bought him as a bad guy, which surely suggests he didn’t do a good job. Great movie, but he was among the worst bits in it.
Weird. I think the dinner table scene is probably the best bit of acting he’s done since the early 90s.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I always remember him for the Titanic film he did which I hated so I can't take to him. Done some good films later though. I prefer the likes of Bale and RDJ over him, surprised the latter hasn't been mentioned much.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I didn't understand it first time, then I got some of it second go round, then after that I didn't really care. I find it brilliantly thrilling whether deciphered or not. You only lose if you can't watch the whole thing.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
No, just no.

Di Caprio is a great movie star and a very good actor. He's mostly himself in movies though. Not one of those actors that leave you floored through their sheer talent. He picks movies well and is very dependable.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Di Caprio seems to never drop below certain level and in the same time never reached the highest ceiling like Henry Fonda or Paul Newman did. However the guy's just 44 so plenty of time to play in much more quality movies and build his legend even more.

Shutter Island by far my favourite movie with him, top psychological performance. He can definitely play in multiple genre movies.

Member 39557

The guy hasn't even got a superhero franchise yet. How can he be any good?

Green_Red

Lincoln and Gangs of New York were great. Phenomenal actor.
What I like is his range. He can pretty much bring any character to life and you forget its Daniel Day Lewis. With Di Caprio I always feel like its Di Caprio. If that even makes sense. Having said that he has played some great characters, revenant, basketball diaries and django come to mind.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
This whole ‘it always feels like Di Caprio’ argument is a bit weird. Of course it does, he’s infinitely more recognisable because of his fame than DDL. That doesn’t take anything away from his roles. He’s phenomenal. Impossible to call him the best though it’s too subjective.

AaronRedDevil

Name one moment that beats DiCaprio django table scene. He cuts his hand fully bleeding and then has the balls to rub the blood over her face. Such a good scene!

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I love that film:lol:

Completely agree, but as much as I rate Leo, I think Jake Gyllenhaal is better.
His performance in Nightcrawler is up there with Travis Bickle, for me. Utterly repellent but compulsively watchable.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Weird. I think the dinner table scene is probably the best bit of acting he’s done since the early 90s.
I thought it was hammy as feck. His poor southern accent didn’t help.