Film Leonardo DiCaprio - Greatest Actor of All Time?

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Really? ok

The Terminal
Splash
Cloud Atlas (utter fecking wank)

There is most likely more, but I haven't seen all his movies. He's a ridiculously good actor, one of my favourites, but to say he hasn't mad a bad movies is just silly.
The Terminal is a great film.

Not seen the other two.

Member 39557

Really? ok

The Terminal
Splash
Cloud Atlas (utter fecking wank)

There is most likely more, but I haven't seen all his movies. He's a ridiculously good actor, one of my favourites, but to say he hasn't mad a bad movies is just silly.
I thought they were all good films.
Joe Vs the volcano was shit though.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
A great film is something I would consider watching more than once @esmufc07 There is no way I'd watch the boringness of a man stuck in a fecking terminal again. What was great about it did you think?

Also for the purpose of this thread, I think DiCaprio is an awesome actor too, I like a lot of his movies. Watched wolf of wall street again last night.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Assuming we're talking about DiCaprio here. If so, I'd suggest The Man in the Iron Mask and The Basketball Diaries. Not terrible films but not good either.
He was talking about hanks

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
A great film is something I would consider watching more than once @esmufc07 There is no way I'd watch the boringness of a man stuck in a fecking terminal again. What was great about it did you think?

Also for the purpose of this thread, I think DiCaprio is an awesome actor too, I like a lot of his movies. Watched wolf of wall street again last night.
I bet you didn't like PhoneBooth either.

RamblingRebel

Hitler dead!
Supports
Burnley
All the actors mentioned in the OP are movie stars, massive difference between that and great actors. Guys like Robert Duvall, J.K Simmons, Gary Oldman ect are example of very good actors!

Nothing wrong with movie stars though, they are likable and sell a production.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
I'm not sure if he's the greatest ever, I don't know how you can really work that out objectivity. It's a subjective opinion in the end.

But he is a great actor in general and is in many great movies. I love him and personally think he's the best of my generation and time watching movies.

arnie_ni

I think if i was to list out actors and their movies i really liked he or Denzel would have the most.

I always get the feeling that if he is in the movie it will be a good movie. Can't think of any of the top of my head I didn't like.

However, DDL is the best actor ive seen. He was fantastic in gangs of new york but Lincoln sold it for me.

Brando in godfather is probably right up there for greatest acting roles, but its the only movie ive seen with him in it.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I think if i was to list out actors and their movies i really liked he or Denzel would have the most.

I always get the feeling that if he is in the movie it will be a good movie. Can't think of any of the top of my head I didn't like.

However, DDL is the best actor ive seen. He was fantastic in gangs of new york but Lincoln sold it for me.

Brando in godfather is probably right up there for greatest acting roles, but its the only movie ive seen with him in it
You should watch more. He's the greatest.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
My friend and I were actually having a conversation about this yesterday. Only came up with 5 actors that can really act and have a range of differences in movies they've been in.

Tom Hanks
Daniel day Lewis
DiCaprio
Robin Williams
Matthew McConaughey
These were your top 5.. of all time? Matthew McConaughey?! Robin Williams? FFS

Oldyella

These were your top 5.. of all time? Matthew McConaughey?! Robin Williams? FFS
Robin Williams is a great, like, really great actor. He just seemed to play a lot of roles in kids movies, probably due his comedic background. Look at him in Good will hunting or Insomnia.

amolbhatia50k

Robin Williams is a great, like, really great actor. He just seemed to play a lot of roles in kids movies, probably due his comedic background. Look at him in Good will hunting or Insomnia.
I mean, he's hardly up there with the likes of Pacino though, right? Some great roles and a lot of playful comedy kiddy stuff. Can't say I've ever looked at him and felt that's the pinnacle of acting.

Oldyella

I mean, he's hardly up there with the likes of Pacino though, right? Some great roles and a lot of playful comedy kiddy stuff. Can't say I've ever looked at him and felt that's the pinnacle of acting.
Looking at their careers, no. But playing devils advocate on @AaronRedDevil point, you could pick the top 5 performances of both, and off the top of my head, Robin Williams would have a greater range of characters and performances than Pacino. Doesnt make him better but he is certainly up there as a great. Just doesnt get mentioned because he did a lot of kids stuff and was more known as a comedian.

amolbhatia50k

Did I say they were my top 5 of all time? Read it again you triggered snowflake.
The irony of reacting like a wound up baby and calling the other person a triggered snowflake.

Right, so these are the only actors the pair of you could come up with yet aren't the best in your view. Time well spent.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
"It was incomprehensible how good Brando was. He was just a phenomenon. I was acting before I ever saw a Brando picture. I'm very proud to be able to say that but I'll be imitating him until the day I die."

-- Oscar-winner Al Pacino

AaronRedDevil

The irony of reacting like a wound up baby and calling the other person a triggered snowflake.

Right, so these are the only actors the pair of you could come up with yet aren't the best in your view. Time well spent.
Oh for feck sake. Look at you're last comment, that's even more ironic.

Those are your top 5 actors.... of all time? Mathew McConaughey and Robin Williams? FFS:rolleyes:.

Last edited:

AaronRedDevil

I'm talking about actors who can actually act differently in different movies! Not an actor that's very good in playing the same role in every movie they've been in. Do you grasp the concept now? And those actors are in my opinion the best in that way. Not MY best actors. Jesus.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
My friend and I were actually having a conversation about this yesterday. Only came up with 5 actors that can really act and have a range of differences in movies they've been in.

Tom Hanks
Daniel day Lewis
DiCaprio
Robin Williams
Matthew McConaughey
Watch more films.

AaronRedDevil

Brando in godfather is probably right up there for greatest acting roles, but its the only movie ive seen with him in it.
Crap how did I forget Denzel. He's brilliant too.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I've almost seen them all. But what would you recommend from the Al Pacino and De Niro movies from the obvious one or 2 movies they are easily known for.
If you've not seen Midnight Run have a look at that for some more diverse acting. Important though - do not look it up or read about it before watching.