L'Equipe : Zidane wants United job / all spaculation no updates

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
If we miss out on him now, he'll go to Bayern sooner or later this season. Same scenario to how we missed out on Pep the first time.

Aloysius's Back 3

If we miss out on him now, he'll go to Bayern sooner or later this season. Same scenario to how we missed out on Pep the first time.
I see him as the manager Juventus goes for.

Juventus are clearly aiming to take next step up as soon as possible. C. Ronaldo on the shortest term available & someone like Zidane can benefit them in both the short & long term because he breathes that club in my opinion even more so than real Madrid.

Serie A are going to be big once again the moment he gets Juventus up in the CL.

He is already there in my opinion.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I see him as the manager Juventus goes for.

Juventus are clearly aiming to take next step up as soon as possible. C. Ronaldo on the shortest term available & someone like Zidane can benefit them in both the short & long term because he breathes that club in my opinion even more so than real Madrid.

Serie A are going to be big once again the moment he gets Juventus up in the CL.

He is already there in my opinion.
Yeah I can see that. It always felt like last season for Allegri there.

OldPop

Without having any real sensible arguments, I feel that Zidane would not be such a good solution. He is certainly good at handling finished stars, as most were in Real Madrid otherwise he would hardly have been doing so well. The question is rather how he works as a leader of a number of players who are not finished stars. I do not know but the feeling is that it may not be his strongest side and that's what we need right now.

Reactions: Theonas

Ahsan_6386

Intriguingly we have to or actually Woodward will go all in for Zidane for a simple reason of keeping the core of De Gea,Martial and Pogba at the club . The way things are going all 3 of them are keeping their options open and might jump ship next season . That is not good for business as far as Woodward is concerned since it will affect his business and promotional schemes .

The only way all 3 of them stay at United next season is if Zidane comes in and that will show signs that we might have an actual footballing plan in order not to mention it will help us attract star players next season . I have a feeling that its possible we might have done a deal with Zidane already like we did with Mourinho when LVG was in charge .

I know not many of the fans want him here but honestly and unfortunately our club needs a big name just to stay relevant at this time . Thing is as always the next appointment will be decided in equal parts of both commercial and footballing scheme of things . Zidane is the biggest name available and from the sound bytes it does feel that he has already decided his next managerial option which can possibly be us . I except a lot of action in the upcoming summer transfer market irrespective of who we sign as our next manager .

JMack1234

I'm torn about Zidane.

The Woodward inside of me would love to see Zidane as our manager. Plus, he won three Champions Leagues and one La Liga. You don't do that is you're a mug. Benitez certainly couldn't with exactly the same players.

On the other side, I watched that Real team a lot. I even watched them live at the Bernabeu. Yet I don't have a clue what a 'Zidane team' is. I don't know how he wants his team to play or how he'd change things here.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I'm torn about Zidane.

The Woodward inside of me would love to see Zidane as our manager. Plus, he won three Champions Leagues and one La Liga. You don't do that is you're a mug. Benitez certainly couldn't with exactly the same players.

On the other side, I watched that Real team a lot. I even watched them live at the Bernabeu. Yet I don't have a clue what a 'Zidane team' is. I don't know how he wants his team to play or how he'd change things here.
That’s exactly it. He doesn’t have some sort of tactical masterclass philosophy of any sort at this stage of his career. What he has is an insane amount of influence that even the biggest dressing room egos bow down to. When that happens then you unlock all the quality potential of your star players and football flows from there. He would be perfect for us. Even though our squad needs quite a bit of trimming - we still are not getting 100% from our best players and that switch is all we need to get us in to the top 3 and then give him 1/2 great signings and we have something. Just look at our team when we actually try to play football when we’ve fallen behind - it’s a motivated, different and quality side. Zizou would galvanize the dressing room

el3mel

That’s exactly it. He doesn’t have some sort of tactical masterclass philosophy of any sort at this stage of his career. What he has is an insane amount of influence that even the biggest dressing room egos bow down to. When that happens then you unlock all the quality potential of your star players and football flows from there. He would be perfect for us. Even though our squad needs quite a bit of trimming - we still are not getting 100% from our best players and that switch is all we need to get us in to the top 3 and then give him 1/2 great signings and we have something. Just look at our team when we actually try to play football when we’ve fallen behind - it’s a motivated, different and quality side. Zizou would galvanize the dressing room
That's actually not what we want. The team is disjointed as hell and lacks basics like movement. We need a structure, a functioning system and a coherent team. Zidane isn't going to provide that. I can see us 2 years in his reign complaining about lack of coherence and resorting to crossing to Fellaini again. Our team simply needs coaching, not a motivator, because a functioning team, we're beyond shite.

Rolaholic

That's actually not what we want. The team is disjointed as hell and lacks basics like movement. We need a structure, a functioning system and a coherent team. Zidane isn't going to provide that. I can see us 2 years in his reign complaining about lack of coherence and resorting to crossing to Fellaini again. Our team simply needs coaching, not a motivator, because a functioning team, we're beyond shite.
Worked wonders for LvG that...

dogwithabone

Isn’t his English poor ? I remember Capello as England manager and often wondered how on earth he got any message across with any impact. I know football is multi cultural nowadays but still think you should have at least a grasp of the language of the country you’re working in. I think it’s important for the relationship a manager has with the fans too.

Theonas

Scout
I'm torn about Zidane.

I agree with this. I am very skeptical about Zidane because I think it's really difficult to build a top team without a strong identity nowadays. Obviously it still could be done as Real proved but Real had an individual advantage over the rest that was very significant. An advantage that cannot be replicated by anyone who doesn't have Messi or Ronaldo.

Zidane is a bit like Ancelotti. He has amazing aura about him and is a brilliant man manager and at creating the perfect atmosphere. But in a world where you are competing with the ultra drilled tactical machines of City, Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea, I am afraid it isn't enough unless we have a squad that is significantly better than theirs.

JMack1234

Isn’t his English poor ? I remember Capello as England manager and often wondered how on earth he got any message across with any impact. I know football is multi cultural nowadays but still think you should have at least a grasp of the language of the country you’re working in. I think it’s important for the relationship a manager has with the fans too.
I think his English is none existent. It won't matter in terms of coaching the team because the majority of them speak either Spanish or French but of course it'll be very hard for the fans to hear him.

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
My response to the other poster saying it's nailed on ZZ's going to Juve, and I presume it's not to play tiddlywinks. If that's the case, Allegri will be available.
Isn't Allegri also known for a less appeasing brand of football?

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
If that's the case, get Allegri in, pronto.
Is Allegri really all that? Wasn't there a Juve fan on here who said Allegri doesn't really kill off matches? Also this is a guy who completely dominated Mourinho's United in Italy, scored one goal, went defensive and lost the match. Completely dominated us at OT as well but only scored one goal against a team that can't defend.

Genuine question as I don't watch Juventus.

Needham

It would be a courageous career move for ZZ to pit himself against Klopp Guardiola Pochetinho and Emery on a week to week basis with a squad that needs at least 40% reworking.

rotherham_red

Isn't Allegri also known for a less appeasing brand of football?
Is Allegri really all that? Wasn't there a Juve fan on here who said Allegri doesn't really kill off matches? Also this is a guy who completely dominated Mourinho's United in Italy, scored one goal, went defensive and lost the match. Completely dominated us at OT as well but only scored one goal against a team that can't defend.

Genuine question as I don't watch Juventus.
He's someone who fits the situation at hand. His Cagliari team played enterprising stuff, for example. He's definitely more conservative than someone like a Pep, but he's a proven winner and has experience at the business end of the season.

From the alternatives (cos ZZ and Poch are probably not coming), he'd be the best choice if we're not willing to take a chance on a long-term project like Howe, IMO.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
It's amusing reading comments on what Zidane cannot do for this team when the people making those have no idea what he's capable of with that side. It's anybody's guess, but I would rather have someone who has the respect of the team and an idea on how to get an offense set up than what's currently available.

Bojan11

Second coming of Moyes?

I’ve heard it all now. :lol::lol::lol:

Next some idiot will be telling me Moyes would have achieved the same with that Madrid squad.

Rolaholic

Second coming of Moyes?

I’ve heard it all now. :lol::lol::lol:

Next some idiot will be telling me Moyes would have achieved the same with that Madrid squad.
How some people genuinely believe that someone could fluke their way to 3 Champions Leagues in a row is incredible to me

Zizou's man-management is as strong as any manager in world football right now,he'd garner the respect of any dressing room in Europe

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

It would be a courageous career move for ZZ to pit himself against Klopp Guardiola Pochetinho and Emery on a week to week basis with a squad that needs at least 40% reworking.
No idea why he would want to come here especially if juventus is available, as it would be far far easier and just as prestigious. But lets say he relishes the challenge. We should be biting his hand off, it's a no-brainer. Maybe that's why Jose is suddenly so pissed, because he knows woody went behind his back and cheated on him.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Zidane is not the right coach for United, I just don’t see it ending well for him here. United have a rot which needs to be addressed before they can start healing and Zidane is not the man to heal, he is a man who makes a high level team play as elites.

United need a coach who has a clear positive attacking philosophy, not a “motivator”. The club needs to put people in place to start recruiting players who fit the philosophy, not random stars. I think the team needs a coach who will be happy to rebuild a side and one that needs to be given time to implement the philosophy, not just on the team but on the whole club.

A manager like Jardim or even Howe is what’s needed right now to lay the foundations and rebuild, only then should a manager like Zidane be considered.
You mean Zidane, the dude who decided he'd freeze out James Rodriguez because he didn't fit his plans inspite of the big money spent on him? The guy who decided to spend zero money for 3 years and brought in and successfully integrated academy players into the 1st team which is star-studded? That person who was somewhat able to achieve the impossible and go even further than that by winning the CL, not 2 but 3 times in a row?

Kapardin

You mean Zidane, the dude who decided he'd freeze out James Rodriguez because he didn't fit his plans inspite of the big money spent on him? The guy who decided to spend zero money for 3 years and brought in and successfully integrated academy players into the 1st team which is star-studded? That person who was somewhat able to achieve the impossible and go even further than that by winning the CL, not 2 but 3 times in a row?
Man-management wise, Zidane is one of the best. But he isn't the strongest tactically. Our squad is not elite like Real's and only shrewd tactics which utilize our players' skills to the max can enable us to get positive results.

All the points you mentioned have explanations. Zidane had Ronaldo, Marcelo, Ramos, Modric etc in peak form and could afford to drop Hamez. We have no-one except Pogba. Due to Ronaldo bearing the goal-scoring burden, he could integrate youth -- but you can see now that Ramos, Modric and co have declined, the youth haven't filled the gaps -- even Zidane wouldn't thrive in Real's current situation. The CL wins were impressive, but again he had a good team who were competing for the CL every year-- he just didn't let them bottle it 3 times in a row.

Plus, when the chips are down, Zidane's football is as boring as Jose's. See Real's league games in his 3rd season. Zidane would be a bad fit IMO. However, I'm willing to give anybody other than Mourinho a chance, we need a change.

The trouble with us is that it's not all on Jose; we do have a 4th placed squad at best. There is a dearth of goal-scorers apart from Martial and Lukaku. While another manager might get us to play faster, more on the front foot and imcorporate energetic pressing which might maximize our resources, he still won't get the likes of Rashford or Lingard to score 20 goals all of a sudden, or reverse Matic's aging, or turn Lindelof into Maldini.

I predict that if we hire Zidane, we will have a bounce and maybe finish 4th, but next season, it could be back to ugly football and 5th-6th place. If we hire the likes of Howe, I think we will play pretty football but again, won't better Jose results-wise.

To improve both results and style of play, the team needs a better manager who fits our current situation and a smart investment in the summer. Woodward will be panicked into sanctioning substantial funds only if we drop out of the top 4. Maybe no CL is best for our situation as then the parasite owners will release more funds to save that Adidas deal. Otherwise, as Ed indicated once, we won't see "a huge churn of players" every summer and the likes of Valencia/Young will continue to get their contracts renewed.

In short, Jose is a problem, but he isn't the only problem at the club. But any chance at progress requires his dismissal as a first step.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Man-management wise, Zidane is one of the best. But he isn't the strongest tactically. Our squad is not elite like Real's and only shrewd tactics which utilize our players' skills to the max can enable us to get positive results.

All the points you mentioned have explanations. Zidane had Ronaldo, Marcelo, Ramos, Modric etc in peak form and could afford to drop Hamez. We have no-one except Pogba. Due to Ronaldo bearing the goal-scoring burden, he could integrate youth -- but you can see now that Ramos, Modric and co have declined, the youth haven't filled the gaps -- even Zidane wouldn't thrive in Real's current situation. The CL wins were impressive, but again he had a good team who were competing for the CL every year-- he just didn't let them bottle it 3 times in a row.

Plus, when the chips are down, Zidane's football is as boring as Jose's. See Real's league games in his 3rd season. Zidane would be a bad fit IMO. However, I'm willing to give anybody other than Mourinho a chance, we need a change.

The trouble with us is that it's not all on Jose; we do have a 4th placed squad at best. There is a dearth of goal-scorers apart from Martial and Lukaku. While another manager might get us to play faster, more on the front foot and imcorporate energetic pressing which might maximize our resources, he still won't get the likes of Rashford or Lingard to score 20 goals all of a sudden, or reverse Matic's aging, or turn Lindelof into Maldini.

I predict that if we hire Zidane, we will have a bounce and maybe finish 4th, but next season, it could be back to ugly football and 5th-6th place. If we hire the likes of Howe, I think we will play pretty football but again, won't better Jose results-wise.

To improve both results and style of play, the team needs a better manager who fits our current situation and a smart investment in the summer. Woodward will be panicked into sanctioning substantial funds only if we drop out of the top 4. Maybe no CL is best for our situation as then the parasite owners will release more funds to save that Adidas deal. Otherwise, as Ed indicated once, we won't see "a huge churn of players" every summer and the likes of Valencia/Young will continue to get their contracts renewed.

In short, Jose is a problem, but he isn't the only problem at the club. But any chance at progress requires his dismissal as a first step.
Who was Liverpools 20 goal player when Klopp took over ? Who is Chelsea's 20 goal player now.

Squad needs some work but definitely not a major one. Its primarily due to Jose !

Kapardin

Who was Liverpools 20 goal player when Klopp took over ? Who is Chelsea's 20 goal player now.

Squad needs some work but definitely not a major one. Its primarily due to Jose !
Liverpool had Coutinho, Firmino and Mane was bought immediately. These players, especially Firmino, also create chances and bring others into play (unlike Lukaku, Lingard, Rashford etc who can't do that for us -- only Pogba and Mata to an extent, Martial rarely). Plus they hired a manager like Klopp who can make average players like Wijnaldum or Henderson perform to their maximum, and Salah filled Coutinho's void in terms of goals if not chance creation.

Precisely my point. It was a combination of right manager + shrewd investment. Zidane cannot improve average players like Klopp does, and we do not have the structure for shrewd investments either.

As for Chelsea, Sarri like Klopp is a manager who can work with limited resources. Zidane and Sarri are worlds apart.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
He's someone who fits the situation at hand. His Cagliari team played enterprising stuff, for example. He's definitely more conservative than someone like a Pep, but he's a proven winner and has experience at the business end of the season.

From the alternatives (cos ZZ and Poch are probably not coming), he'd be the best choice if we're not willing to take a chance on a long-term project like Howe, IMO.
He sounds like what we said about Mourinho though :nervous:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Liverpool had Coutinho, Firmino and Mane was bought immediately. These players, especially Firmino, also create chances and bring others into play (unlike Lukaku, Lingard, Rashford etc who can't do that for us -- only Pogba and Mata to an extent, Martial rarely). Plus they hired a manager like Klopp who can make average players like Wijnaldum or Henderson perform to their maximum, and Salah filled Coutinho's void in terms of goals if not chance creation.

Precisely my point. It was a combination of right manager + shrewd investment. Zidane cannot improve average players like Klopp does, and we do not have the structure for shrewd investments either.

As for Chelsea, Sarri like Klopp is a manager who can work with limited resources. Zidane and Sarri are worlds apart.
You have no idea about that, no one does.

rotherham_red

He sounds like what we said about Mourinho though :nervous:
Yeah, in an ideal world I'd be happy to take a couple of years off and build something with a proper project manager like Poch, but realistically, with someone like Ed and the Glazers at the helm, that just isn't going to happen. So, if we need someone who can hit the ground running, then someone akin to Allegri could do the trick.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I would keep an eye on Lucian Favre of Dortmund. They play exquisite football.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I would keep an eye on Lucian Favre of Dortmund. They play exquisite football.
Yeah, I like what I've seen from Dortmund so far this season. They aren't half shaky at the back though.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Zidane himself admitted he isn’t good at tactics only motivation
When did that happen?

To make it clear, it didn't happen. He said that he wasn't the best manager and that he wasn't the best tactician but that brought passion, joy and work ethic too.

People love to go to extremes, 100% or 0%.

Last edited: