Let's all Laugh at England

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
People who mix football with politics are weapons. The irish lad with 90k posts needs to calm himself down, you've got plenty to luck forward to lad! You're playing Poland in a friendly in September, you might even scrape a 0-0! :drool:

If you're really lucky the DVD will be out by Christmas!!!! :eek:

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I agree with you about 99% of the time with football and other stuff too so I'd be willing to accept I'm being overly sensitive. Calling England fans cnuts and pricks is a bit much though. I don't think the support England are getting is jingoistic although of course we have a huge bellend section of fans that are. I think people are just more exposed to English media so they see the worst side of it.

I also didn't mean you're all the same, I meant it as if even Wales, who I thought we had no issue with, hate us then the Irish and Scottish who do have reason to hate us must really fecking loathe us. It's like as a Utd fan in the 90's when you had teams from all over the country wanting us to lose and not just Liverpool and City fans, that's when you realise how hated you are.

I don't cheer for other home nation sides or Ireland though. The same way as a Utd fan I'm a miserable bastard who cheers for no other side or likes any other non Utd player.

Plus I am currently a bit sunburnt so the sunburnt cnut thing struck a personal nerve!
A lot of the Welsh do actively hate the English, but plenty are pretty neutral. I'm supporting England at the world cup, and I know plenty of others are too. I remember a lot of my English mates were rooting for Wales at Euro 2016 after England had gone out and I thought that was great.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
@Pogue Mahone making a huge tit of himself here.

Shameful from a man who has pretended to not be Irish in order to score points in an Internet argument.

Awkward all round really.

Jim Reaper

I don't hate England, for one thing.

And your logic is far too simplistic. It completely ignores that Manchester United doesn't represent "England" in the sense you seem to imply to many of the club's fans - including fans who are English formally speaking.
so champions league games...

4/5 teams from England 'represent' the English league in Europe. However you look at it, Manchester United are the most successful English club and they have strong working class Northern English roots. The same roots people are hating on. They represent English football on a world stage. They produce players for the same national team people are hating. They have been congratulating the England team all the way through the competition. In my opinon, it is silly to support Manchester United and what they stand for, where they came from and hold so much negativity for the Country and national side.

Reactions: Penna

the unknown one.

The raven sits ever watchful above my chamber door
People who mix football with politics are weapons. The irish lad with 90k posts needs to calm himself down, you've got plenty to luck forward to lad! You're playing Poland in a friendly in September, you might even scrape a 0-0! :drool:

:(

A lot of us like to see England and their United players do well.

the unknown one.

4/5 teams from England 'represent' the English league in Europe. However you look at it, Manchester United are the most successful English club and they have strong working class Northern English roots. The same roots people are hating on. They represent English football on a world stage. They produce players for the same national team people are hating. They have been congratulating the England team all the way through the competition. In my opinon, it is silly to support Manchester United and what they stand for, where they came from and hold so much negativity for the Country and national side.
Absolutely correct.

These people are a joke.

Stacks

Always bound to happen mate. The English don't just rout for Germany to lose for "footballing reasons" same with Argentina. Both sources of recent conflict. The Germans funny enough don't really see us as a footballing rival, more Holland.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I know that you know Irish have stew and Haggis is Scottish. No need to be facetious. Where as I do believe we should let bygones be bygones and bury the past, you have to understand what we English did to Ireland. Even last century our soldiers were killing Irish civilians (Derry being the most famous) and the newspapers were writing about Irish people as they write about Muslims today (they are job stealers, criminals, terrorists etc).
And so we can't declare our patriotism through song? And somehow our national anthem and history is any more vile than the rest? Of course the Kings of Munster or Leinster weren't savagely butchering one another long before the Norman invasion of Ireland. But no, we are all pricks apparently, for singing our national anthem. :lol:

Posh Red

Always bound to happen mate. The English don't just rout for Germany to lose for "footballing reasons" same with Argentina. Both sources of recent conflict. The Germans funny enough don't really see us as a footballing rival, more Holland.
I feel this is an overspill of tradition more than any genuine ill feeling on a political/historical basis. All seems quite light hearted from where I’m sitting.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
These people are walking contradictions.
If they spit on every inch of "English" (in any sense) ground - sure.

It's a bit more nuanced, though.

Do you know anything about the early history of Manchester United? Hint: When Newton Heath changed its name one of the alternatives discussed was "Manchester Celtic".

How many of the greatest figures in United's history are non-English? Hint: A few.

To what extent do you think that United - to an Irish, Northern-Irish, Welsh or Scottish fan - represents an idea about "England", and if so "England" as...yes, what? Hope and feckin' glory? The queen? The cliffs of feckin' Dover?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
FFS, can't we just forget politics and concentrate on the really important stuff: laughing at the Vatican City national football team?

Jim Reaper

Absolutely correct.

These people are a joke.
it doesn't go the other way either. Every English fan i know supports Ireland and Wales when England are not playing. I was mad when the Henry handball thing happened to Ireland (think im remembering that correctly). I was rooting for Wales in the last tournment and really wanted to see both teams at this world cup. Scotland not so much :) but that is just silly rivallary and for footballing reasons and retaliation for the hatred of the English national team on their part. Its all in Jest really. Fcuk the political nonsense.

Jacko21

I feel this is an overspill of tradition more than any genuine ill feeling on a political/historical basis. All seems quite light hearted from where I’m sitting.
Yeah, agreed. It’s very typically English. Or it was before virtue-signalling became a thing.

the unknown one.

If they spit on every inch of "English" (in any sense) ground - sure.

It's a bit more nuanced, though.

Do you know anything about the early history of Manchester United? Hint: When Newton Heath changed its name one of the alternatives discussed was "Manchester Celtic".

How many of the greatest figures in United's history are non-English? Hint: A few.

To what extent do you think that United - to an Irish, Northern-Irish, Welsh or Scottish fan - represents an idea about "England", and if so "England" as...yes, what? Hope and feckin' glory? The queen? The cliffs of feckin' Dover?
I am Irish so I am well aware of our history with MUFC.

This is why my family over three generations have supported United.

My grand-father loved Johnny Carey.

There are people in this thread who have said they hate England and English fans because they have the gall to sing their national anthem yet support United (a team based in England) apparently.

They are a joke.

Don't Kill Bill

I know that you know Irish have stew and Haggis is Scottish. No need to be facetious. Where as I do believe we should let bygones be bygones and bury the past, you have to understand what we English did to Ireland. Even last century our soldiers were killing Irish civilians (Derry being the most famous) and the newspapers were writing about Irish people as they write about Muslims today (they are job stealers, criminals, terrorists etc).
As opposed to what every other country did in the past?

What exactly are you saying we should put up with extra because of British history?

Get fecked right off.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
My favourite Irish football memory is Ray Houghton against the Italians in '94. What a screamer that was. Aldridge against Mexico was another fun moment.

Tony Babangida

My parents are Irish but I was born in England and I’m an England Football fan.
Same, have an Irish Dad, lived in Ireland for a bit. Think there’s a lot of us scattered around the world. Was always told by my Dad I was Irish, but I got a fair bit of stick for being English when I lived in Ireland!

Still always support Ireland as my second team though and enjoying having a connection to their great rugby team.

It’s been quite funny during the World Cup getting texts from my Irish Gran saying stuff like “did I miss something, did England win the World Cup?”

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
There are people in this thread who have said they hate England and English fans because they have the gall to sing their national anthem yet support United (a team based in England) apparently.
Yes, you've made that point already.

They support Manchester United and dislike the English national team – which is no contradiction in terms for me.

Having no time for a certain type of England fan belting out the national anthem may or may not be – let's say – unfair, prejudiced, what have you. I'm sure many of them are lovely people. But it has little to do with Manchester United. The logic you (and several others) seem to have embraced here is flawed.

Having no love for England's national team doesn't amount to being vehemently anti-English in all matters. It has never worked that way. It's partly about football and partly about something (way) beyond football – but whatever it is, there's no contradiction there.

the unknown one.

They support Manchester United and dislike the English national team – which is no contradiction in terms for me.

Having no time for a certain type of England fan belting out the national anthem may or may not be – let's say – unfair, prejudiced, what have you. I'm sure many of them are lovely people. But it has little to do with Manchester United. The logic you (and several others) seem to have embraced here is flawed.

Having no love for England's national team doesn't amount to being vehemently anti-English in all matters. It has never worked that way. It's partly about football and partly about something (way) beyond football – but whatever it is, there's no contradiction there.
I know these types of people in Ireland and they do hate England in all matters. So of course there is a contradiction in them supporting an English team wtf are you talking about.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Same, have an Irish Dad, lived in Ireland for a bit. Think there’s a lot of us scattered around the world. Was always told by my Dad I was Irish, but I got a fair bit of stick for being English when I lived in Ireland!

Still always support Ireland as my second team though and enjoying having a connection to their great rugby team.

It’s been quite funny during the World Cup getting texts from my Irish Gran saying stuff like “did I miss something, did England win the World Cup?”
You get texts from your gran?

WhereAngelsPlay 606

I take it all English United fans were supporting that working class Northern English football club in the Champions League final? Be a bit hypocritical if they were hoping those English national team players lost to a Spanish team, particularly one that most United fans dislike.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Can't we just accept that England is the greatest nation on planet earth and move on?
I do recognize it as the third greatest.

After the Vatican City.

And that town with all the hippies down in Florida somewhere, the ones who've declared the place a sovereign state.

NOTE: If the hippie town has a national team, we should probably be laughing at them.

Don't Kill Bill

There is a bit though isn't there? because Manchester is in England and the people who live there and support United are mostly English. So it does kind of seem a bit weird to hate England and the English and then hope the English football team called Manchester United do well while simultaneously hoping the English people who support their national team just like everyone else supports their national team writhe in football misery.

Anyone would think that supporting an English football team while hating all things English shows a massive internal hypocrisy which can only be addressed by the blatant disregard for geography and logic because United are ace and the teams from the countries of the English haters are shite.

Well, some people might think that is glory hunting of the worst type, personally, I understand its more complicated than that.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I do recognize it as the third greatest.

After the Vatican City.

And that town with all the hippies down in Florida somewhere, the ones who've declared the place a sovereign state.

NOTE: If the hippie town has a national team, we should probably be laughing at them.
Are we all not descendants of Italy and by extension the Vatican?

We've certainly got German, French and Norwegian running through our veins (among others undoubtedly). Are we even English at all?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Anyone would think that supporting an English football team while hating all things English shows a massive internal hypocrisy which can only be addressed by the blatant disregard for geography and logic because United are ace and the teams from the countries of the English haters are shite.
Hyperbole notwithstanding (next level: “it seems a bit odd to support a football club based in England while at the same time actively wishing for every person in England, especially in the English city of Manchester, to die an agonizing death, but hey – what do I know”), you too seem to be missing the rather basic point: In my experience it's not uncommon at all for United fans (English ones too) to, well, not give a toss about England – and even actively dislike the national team.

England = the FA = London (and, not least, the surrounding areas) = bollocks, stupidity, horrible fans who enjoy brass band music, jingoism and whatnot.

Is this unknown to people these days? Can't believe that. Yes, I know that many feel a certain sympathy for Southgate's selection – and why not? Like I said, I don't hate England myself. But to claim that it's illogical for a United fan (regardless of where he or she is from) to dislike England (the national team) – I don't get that. It's actually something I've never heard before from fellow United fans. The idea that it's "logical" to simply equate "England" with whatever English team you happen to support (for whatever reason) is preposterous to me.

It seems to demand blind patriotism from English people - and an even more bizarre brand of support from non-English United fans.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
I honestly think most of the anti-england brigade are WUMs who should have been banned long ago.

POF

All the crying in here that other nations don't want England to win and then this:

I didn't say that. I said the Welsh players celebrating us losing was what made me realise how hated we are. When even the fecking Welsh are cheering our failures you know you're hated.

And aye you might as well be the same, both shite.
It's true though. No one really gives a feck about the difference, you are just noisy little neighbours who pipe up every now and then but mean nothing to the grand scheme of things.
Of course I kid, too mean though?
They are interchangeable though. I don't see why that's such a big issue to be honest.

One drinks dirty swamp water, another eats rancid guts in a skin and the last one has a penchant for sheep. But all in all, it's much of a muchness really.
Shameful. You both should be embarrassed.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
I'm Canadian with English roots along with French and Irish. I root for all 4 but especially for England being a United fan and having favourite players like Rooney and Scholes.

Go England. A football mad country doing well is a thing of beauty after decades of falling short.

Any United fan regardless of nation should want England to do well.

Kapardin

I'm Canadian with English roots along with French and Irish. I root for all 4 but especially for England being a United fan and having favourite players like Rooney and Scholes.

Go England. A football mad country doing well is a thing of beauty after decades of falling short.

Many English United fans have been and still are anti-England for several reasons. But this team is immensely likeable, so I'd assume some of those have had a change of heart. Besides, how can you not feel a warm, fuzzy feeling when you see Southgate in his little waistcoat on the touchline?:)

Fridge chutney

What's going on here? This is the laugh at England thread.

I know England have inconvenienced matters by not exiting the tournament yet, but still... not enough laughing and too much politics.

POF

Why?

On a similar note, any football fan from the north west of England should want Liverpool to do well.

Anyone who doesn't must be a racist . . . or something.