LGBT issues in Football

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
This lobotomy of a thread aside, this is making me curious, who the feck is this guy you two are on about :lol:
Apart from all the fun stuff you already saw in the replies, he is also *insanely angry* about circumcision, Christianity ("a Jewish plot"), and bathing (not recommended for men).

not sure which is his real active account, but this one gets the highlights.

Withnail

Varg Vikernes, goes under the stage name Burzum. Used to be part of the Norwegian black metal scene in the early 90s. Now he makes ambient folk music and records vlogs whilst fixing his trucks or something. Usually ranting maniacally.

He murdered a band member and burned down a church or two. Went to prison for quite a long time, whatever the maximum sentence is in Norway (there's a few infamous pics of him smiling at the verdict in court, the utter loony). Now he's out here in the free world, being a fully fledged Nazi. He always banged on about "blood and soil", yet he has since emigrated to France.

He's quite fascinating to listen to, particularly in those old black metal documentaries. He is quite possibly the most eloquent, articulate and charming Nazi. Somehow I like hearing his utterly bizarre side of the story, even though I vehemently disagree with everything he says and think he is batshit insane.
Apart from all the fun stuff you already saw in the replies, he is also *insanely angry* about circumcision, Christianity ("a Jewish plot"), and bathing (not recommended for men).

I'd totally forgotten about that guy. That is wild. I'm off down a twitter rabbit hole.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

:lol:

proper nutjob.

(...)

Supports
Arsenal
It makes no sense to me that coming-out as gay today in football is as difficult as it was for Justin Fashanu 30 years ago. We made no progress at all.

Cultured left ankle

Sigh... I promised myself that I would stay away from this awful thread. But like picking at a scab, I come back to re-open the wounds...

As an LGBTQ where do you think you might feel safer, Hungary a predominantly Christian country or Saudi Arabia a predominantly Muslim country?
Then ask yourself, why is Christianity being dunked upon daily whiles Islam gets a free pass by the left? I mean don't we both believe in a sky daddy promising us candy land? Whiles one only frowns upon it and perceive it as a “deplorable behaviour” the other actively persecutes it and punishes it? Why is it so easy to openly hate Christians?
Oh no; the hypocracy of the left is revealed!

Alternatively, maybe, just maybe, we are more likely to criticise the actions of Hungary, Poland and christians because that's where we live. Earlier in this thread I discuss life in Poland and criticise the Catholic church - because that's where I live now and have done for a long time. I can see the damage laid bare of the way the church - and in then in turn the Polish government - talks about how the LGBTQ+ community is seeking to destroy the fabric of Polish life. I can and will happily dunk on the actual hypocracy of christians - who are told (yet many - not all - choose to ignore) to "love thy neighbour", "turn the other cheek" and generally be cool and chill by the very person after whom their relgion is named - from a position of knowledge and familiarity. I don't have as much experience in muslim countries (although I do have some), so am less likely to comment about that. I expect most people are the same. Ultimately the question of where I'd prefer to live is irrelevant because I live in Poland. I wouldn't want to live in a worse country; I'd rather things were better here.

As for this 'attack on christianity' stuff, it all comes from perceptions of power. Whatever christian sect you follow has probably seen primacy for centuries. There are very few countries where it is illegal to be christian (e.g. North Korea), as opposed to much of the planet where it's illegal to be Gay - indeed it was illegal in nearly all countries until very very recently. In reality, christianity's power has gone unchecked for so long that any questioning or reduction in power feels like an 'attack', when in actual fact now when people say awful things, they get called on it and face consequences. Going from having the stage to yourself, to having to share the stage with other voices probably feels a bit like your voice is being erased, but in reality it's society acknowledging that other voices are equally valid and important.

Additionally, many countries still place religion at the front and centre of national identity (e.g. Poland, USA) so therefore an attack on the church is effectivley an attack on the power structures of the state. It's not always a 'hate crime' when someone burns down (or seeks to burn down) a church when they are not attacking christians as such, but what it represents. Note the difference between attacking the representations of power and attacking actual people and indivduals, which is what the church often advocates for. To clarify in case someone raises the point; in this argument police officers are also representations of state power.

In other words, if your institution instructs others to hate me for not other reason than because of who I am, and then has the backing of powerfiul structures and systems, maybe I'll want to fight back. Maybe I'll consider burning something. After all, they threw the first punch centuries ago and have kept hitting.

Reactions: oneniltothearsenal

fck

Supports
Bayern
I loved how Goretzka dunked on those fascist ultras yesterday. He is a real stand-up guy.

rumac

Sigh... I promised myself that I would stay away from this awful thread. But like picking at a scab, I come back to re-open the wounds...

Oh no; the hypocracy of the left is revealed!

Alternatively, maybe, just maybe, we are more likely to criticise the actions of Hungary, Poland and christians because that's where we live. Earlier in this thread I discuss life in Poland and criticise the Catholic church - because that's where I live now and have done for a long time. I can see the damage laid bare of the way the church - and in then in turn the Polish government - talks about how the LGBTQ+ community is seeking to destroy the fabric of Polish life. I can and will happily dunk on the actual hypocracy of christians - who are told (yet many - not all - choose to ignore) to "love thy neighbour", "turn the other cheek" and generally be cool and chill by the very person after whom their relgion is named - from a position of knowledge and familiarity. I don't have as much experience in muslim countries (although I do have some), so am less likely to comment about that. I expect most people are the same. Ultimately the question of where I'd prefer to live is irrelevant because I live in Poland. I wouldn't want to live in a worse country; I'd rather things were better here.

As for this 'attack on christianity' stuff, it all comes from perceptions of power. Whatever christian sect you follow has probably seen primacy for centuries. There are very few countries where it is illegal to be christian (e.g. North Korea), as opposed to much of the planet where it's illegal to be Gay - indeed it was illegal in nearly all countries until very very recently. In reality, christianity's power has gone unchecked for so long that any questioning or reduction in power feels like an 'attack', when in actual fact now when people say awful things, they get called on it and face consequences. Going from having the stage to yourself, to having to share the stage with other voices probably feels a bit like your voice is being erased, but in reality it's society acknowledging that other voices are equally valid and important.

Additionally, many countries still place religion at the front and centre of national identity (e.g. Poland, USA) so therefore an attack on the church is effectivley an attack on the power structures of the state. It's not always a 'hate crime' when someone burns down (or seeks to burn down) a church when they are not attacking christians as such, but what it represents. Note the difference between attacking the representations of power and attacking actual people and indivduals, which is what the church often advocates for. To clarify in case someone raises the point; in this argument police officers are also representations of state power.

In other words, if your institution instructs others to hate me for not other reason than because of who I am, and then has the backing of powerfiul structures and systems, maybe I'll want to fight back. Maybe I'll consider burning something. After all, they threw the first punch centuries ago and have kept hitting.
Excellent post.

You put things more clearly and kindly than I could have.

Last edited:

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre

When Breivik leaves prison I reckon he'll become even bigger vlogger than Kristian/Christian which is real name of Varg btw.

diarm

When Breivik leaves prison I reckon he'll become even bigger vlogger than Kristian/Christian which is real name of Varg btw.
Is that an option? The fecker killed 77 people - he should never be getting out of prison.

klsv

Is that an option? The fecker killed 77 people - he should never be getting out of prison.
Yeah he got 21 years which is the max sentence under civil law in Norway (life under military law), so he should be out in 11 years the latest.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Yeah he got 21 years which is the max sentence under civil law in Norway (life under military law), so he should be out in 11 years the latest.
I’m completely dubious about prison working in a rehabilitative sense, but this is crazy. 21 years?

justsomebloke

Not necessarily. There's an institute called "forvaring", which means that if you're considered to pose a threat to public safety or to yourself, you can be detained indefinitely. It may or may not be used in this case (and there are of course rules and procedures and things that have to be proven legally and so on), but there's no guarantee he gets out once his sentence is finished. Luckily.

Ludens the Red

The usual replies that make me seriously wonder about the people who post on Twitter.
Anyway I’m guessing 5k fine to the Hungarian FA and Uefa will call it even. Now if those Hungarian fans had displayed an advertising banner not affiliated with UEFA then there’d be serious hell to pay.

klsv

Not necessarily. There's an institute called "forvaring", which means that if you're considered to pose a threat to public safety or to yourself, you can be detained indefinitely. It may or may not be used in this case (and there are of course rules and procedures and things that have to be proven legally and so on), but there's no guarantee he gets out once his sentence is finished. Luckily.
Good, thanks!

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
On a related note, reading the Transgender Athletics thread in the CE forum is difficult. Posters goading Shamwow and taking the piss out of mental health ('Is this what a mental breakdown looks like in text form?'). I hope that's not the kind of content that is accepted on here, it's pretty gross. Don't get me started on marukomu's dreck.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
On a related note, reading the Transgender Athletics thread in the CE forum is difficult. Posters goading Shamwow and taking the piss out of mental health ('Is this what a mental breakdown looks like in text form?'). I hope that's not the kind of content that is accepted on here, it's pretty gross. Don't get me started on marukomu's dreck.
I’ve not been following the thread but report any posts you think break the rules and a mod will take a look.

Withnail

I was just about to say that surely there's a provision to keep someone like that in prison. How could you possibly believe he was rehabilitated?

Makelele

I was just about to say that surely there's a provision to keep someone like that in prison. How could you possibly believe he was rehabilitated?
He has shown no remorse as far as I have seen. His crime is so horrific that it is hard to phantom that he will ever be let out. Norway sets the cap at 21 years unless there is danger of repeat offence and such but this case shows up the thoughtlessness of that legal system.

justsomebloke

No, I agree. For my part I hope they keep him locked up for as long as possible, preferably until he croaks.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
He has shown no remorse as far as I have seen. His crime is so horrific that it is hard to phantom that he will ever be let out. Norway sets the cap at 21 years unless there is danger of repeat offence and such but this case shows up the thoughtlessness of that legal system.
Not if he isn't actually released.

justsomebloke

I don't think the legal system is thoughtless. The emphasis is on rehabilitation, and it works. We have less crime and less recidivism than most countries.

However, there are some times cases that are so to speak outside the assumptions the system is based on. I agree it seems absurd to expect ABB to rehabilitate and become a useful citizen reabsorbed into society. I mean, do we even want him to? Is there, should there be, any way back from what he did? Returning ISIS fighters is a bit of the same issue. Tricky. But i guess any system has its limitations.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

Circumcision? No skin of
My nose

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.

The funniest bit out of all of this is that the Vikings were preferred by British women when they invaded Britain because they washed more often than the local men.

Irwin99

The funniest bit out of all of this is that the Vikings were preferred by British women when they invaded Britain because they washed more often than the local men.
Didn't they wear make up (or specifically eyeliner) too? Don't know if it's true but they seemed image conscious than a lot of peoples of that time.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München

Nice people, and what great stadium atmosphere they produce

Dan_F

Nominal fine and a game or two behind closed doors guaranteed.